Spell Examples

A glimpse into the process of LARP design, into the minds of the creators, and a chance to interact on a design level with the GMs--basically what we're thinking and why
GM-Mike
GM

Spell Examples

Post by GM-Mike »

Here are some examples of possible spells you may see in game. These will likely enter as scrolls first to playtest effects. Scrolls will likely have reduced component costs. There are a lot of level 1 spells here but there are examples of each type of spell. Some spells fall into more than one category and are only listed once, so, even though there is only one spell under the Improved Spell category, for example, there are other examples of Improve Spell in the other categories.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1o97 ... sp=sharing
Abaddon
Town Member
Town Member

Re: Spell Examples

Post by Abaddon »

These kinds of effects are everything i was hoping for.

to whom do send the usual bribes?
"I would only teach them Necromancy as part of a balanced breakfast."
Zydana
GM

Post by Zydana »

Hide Item -- 3 Essence, 60 second cast time, 1 Pixie Dust
A favorite of magicians for centuries, this spell allows the caster to hide one small item so as to be undetectable, even by spot. The item must be smaller than an average sized rabbit--no one has figured out how to hide larger items as of yet. Can only be found by a “reveal Item” Spell.

"average sized rabbit" seems to be on odd basis of size. I've seen rabbits at the 4-H fair, but I'm not sure if they were average size or not...

Can we change the wording? Perhaps that the phys-rep would be able to fit into a level 1 container?
Zydana
GM

Post by Zydana »

" Death Link - The caster chooses one item in his or her possession and spends 5 minutes with one other character to create a Death Link. The caster must spend a permanent Essence point that does not return until the spell is dismissed (the spell may be dismissed by the caster at any time). While the spell is active, if the caster should die, the chosen item will teleport to the chosen recipient. The caster may only have one Death Link spell active at any one time. The chosen recipient may not be another character played by the same Player. "

1) This does not go away at the end of the event, correct?

2) Can the caster of a death link also be the target of a 2nd death link? Example - Mike spends 5 minutes with Chris, so that if Mike dies, "The Sword of the Ages" would go to Chris. Chris spends 5 minutes with Mike, so if Chris dies, Mike would receive "The Ruby Ring of Infinity."
Zydana
GM

Post by Zydana »

Cursed Coin – 3 Essence, 5 minutes to cast, 1 Dark Talisman that is always destroyed.
Spend 5 minutes to prepare one coin (any denomination). If you personally hand another person that coin during the event and they see it and take it, make note of it on your check-out sheet (with their name). If that character has the Income skill, they do not receive 5 silver next event; you do instead.

This seems like a very sticky spell...

So, you can get around this by asking everyone to put coins down on the counter Or - having a 3rd party accept the coin from the spell caster to the target, so that no one is personally handing someone money, right? Would the 3rd party person be in danger of not receiving their 5 silver even though they immediately gave it to someone else? If I were playing a blind character, would I be immune to this since I couldn't "see it and take it"? Would an investigation (use of skill) on the caster allude to a successful use of this spell? Is there a limit on how many coins you can "prepare"? Do you need to use one of your own coins, or is a coin created by "preparing" it?

I really don't like this spell due to how many ifs/ands/buts it is open to especially when players and use it on other players. It needs to be far more concrete before unleashed in a player on player fashion. I feel this will become a mess and people will try to find as many loopholes and such as possible and we will just have another "detect lie" issue.
Zydana
GM

Post by Zydana »

Arctic Blast – 12 Essence, 5 Seconds Cast Time – 10 Minute Reload, 3 Spirit Water, 3 Magic Clay, 3 Dark Talisman
The caster calls a Game Stop and throws two packets. Anyone within the triangle created by the packets and the caster takes 2 Magic Vorpal and takes a Magic Press effect that pushes them to the ground. It takes an uninterrupted 10 second count to get back up.

Improved Arctic Blast, +1 Spirit Water, 1 Eonphil (Must Have the Improve Spell Skill)
Same as above but Triangulated Effect. Throw two packets to define the area of effect. Everyone caught in the “triangle” formed between the two packets and the caster take the effect.

What Improvement is there to Improved Arctic Blast? Is it a Typo? I'm confused.
GM-Mike
GM

Post by GM-Mike »

I meant Attack of the Elements--Copied and pasted the wrong one. Fixed now.
Zydana
GM

Post by Zydana »

Fire Wall--4 Essence, 3 Minute Cast Time, 15 Minute Reload, 4 Fire Dust
The Magus can construct a wall of fire between two fixed objects. The fire is magical and will not destroy that which it is affixed to. Traveling through the fire, however, causes 30 Vorpal damage. The Wall lasts for 5 minutes.

I assume the wall is not infinitely high and only as tall as the "two fixed objects" - in the case of two objects being of not equal height.. then what?