RULES! (No Really)

A glimpse into the process of LARP design, into the minds of the creators, and a chance to interact on a design level with the GMs--basically what we're thinking and why
GM-Phil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: RULES! (No Really)

Post by GM-Phil »

In response to the income thing, there are now multiple skills in the book, along with Perks that will allow you to bring in a modest income at check-in.

Along with the skills and Perks that also allow you to bring in resources.

In addition to those, as we have been using at FH, Holdings in the economic system are far more attainable and can allow you to also bring in a modest income with little effort.

I say that in regards to what are called Crown holdings at FH. A simple to maintain holding that brings in a little coin, depending on your skill set.

I plan on having a more comprehensive and hopefully easier to understand economic writeup by the end of this weekend explaining the different types of Holdings available to players.
Hi.. I'm Aidan!
Zydana
GM

Post by Zydana »

Ark wrote:-Vlakyn'Vi does seem to have been beaten with a stick slighty. . .don't really see why, disenchant and dodge don't really make sense and it feels more like those skills had to be in a discipline somewhere so the just got thrown into Valkyn'Vi.
Yes. Since I had to dart off to school before completing my thoughts on the matter, I didn't go a bit further into detail on this. I very agree with disenchant and dodge feel.. off.

So what did happen to divination? That seemed like a good and powerful 4th level ability that I felt went under utilized (if it was commonly used, I never got that impression as a FH PC or a WH NPC). I liked that divination was a unique skill in the game only available as a 4th level racial discipline. (Personally, I would like to eventually see that all 4th level racial disciplines be unique skills not found in other paths/disciplines that are molded to that race's identity.. but perhaps that can be looked at down the road).

Elf Racial Discipline - I never really liked it, but I think that it got a bit better. I think it's a tad too combat oriented, but I agree that throwing magic has been their thing, a good nod to the old racial boon, and their innate magical abilities.
Zydana
GM

Post by Zydana »

Thank you Mike and Phil.

I'm not overly concerned about myself I understand the hole I've thrown myself into with taking on the character personality of Kami. I'm not upset or angry by all means. I know that some enjoy and take advantage of the treasure hunting/looting aspect of the game and some enjoy and take advantage of the economical holdings. Some people have a good foothold in both, and some neither. Should those that know how to, and have built their characters around accumulating wealth in such a manner have far more income than those who don't? Absolutely!!

So as I mentioned, this is a bit scary right now. I might change my mind after the first few events and I might not - that's what feedback is for. Yes, I did notice there were A (HOLY CRAP) LOT of 1st level discipline skills that will allow you to get 5 silver at check in and I have considered taking advantage of that. My post on personal income was feedback on my feelings/standpoint at this time (one of those - if I don't say something, how will you guys know) and wasn't meant to be any sort of soapbox rant. Thank you again for listening and allowing me to express my concerns and point of view.

Also, I want to especially thank Mike for hanging around the forums all day and quickly responding to questions, concerns, and clarifying things as we continue to post. Please, sleep well.
Rothek
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Rothek »

plus one to josh and Scott's concern about the unarmed fighting skill. how is that going to work?

level 4 of dervish seems a little out of place.

fairly content with how disciplines lined up. had a lot more "that's so cool!" moments than " thats a bunch of crap!!"

also i think having disenchant twice means a charged skill turns to a life point skill however not positive on that.
Rothek HowlingFang
Den-father of the Howling Fang tribe.
friend and ally of the dwarves of Killeshandra.
Jamie
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Post by Jamie »

Agreeing with the question about Unarmed Fighting skill, and several other concerns about that skill - As it's written, it looks like the skill allows you to wield two fists but doesn't say anything about being able to deal damage with fists - am I missing something? And what is the reason for not being able to use a fist and a shield?
Ark
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Ark »

Jamie wrote:And what is the reason for not being able to use a fist and a shield?
because it takes two hands to wield a shield. . .wait a minute. . .

in all honesty that is a leftover from claws, but now claws and unarmed/iron fists are all being merged and balanced into one skill (I support that obviously) I feel at this moment the new natural weapons would be okay if you can block (seriously requiring another 2nd level skill from another discipline to make the original viable is slightly silly) and am iffy about being able to use a shield with them, on one hand it is silly to not allow it, on the other you don't want to make them TOO flexible. or possibly restrict them from using weapon based damage types (vorpal and crush)

shields were brought in line and I am currently okay with where they sit on paper, its a lot of free damage mitigation for not a lot of cost but I will be testing them on field. btw I thought martial training cut your damage by 1 to a minimum of 1? is it now just -1 period? interesting.

even single weapon got a bonus by stacking martial training twice

if anything dual wield is a little underwhelming thus I feel the imposed restriction of no shield with claws or no use of vorpal and crush would be okay because that allows dual wield to keep its flexibility, because combined with a single, or even two martial training skills you can swap between EVERY form of combat and gain their respective benefits on the fly.
If it storms or snows, or the sun smiles on us. The day burning hot, or ice cold of night. Dusty are our faces, but joyful are our minds! - Panzerlied
Brian: Do not respond, quote, argue, debate, or try to start a conversation about anything I say or post, directly or indirectly, specifically or implicitly. At the very least I will consider it stalking, and going further consider it harassing, belittling, demeaning, mocking, or insulting. I will immediately report it as such and push to request that your forum privileges be at least suspended or terminated, and going further request your LARP attendance privileges be suspended or terminated as per the Final Haven Code of Conduct. this is your notice and warning.
If you have an opinion on something I say, or a particular topic, but would prefer to keep your opinion private (or complain) then CLICK HERE! to send a private message to GM-Mike the head GM and let him know.
GM-Mike
GM

Post by GM-Mike »

I'm honestly unsure what happened with unarmed training. You will likely be able to block and you will likely be able to use a shield--just waiting to hear back from a few others. Because it is better than dual wield, there may be another small restriction, but we will see.

Martial training should say to a minimum of one. If it doesn't then that is a misprint.
Kaylan Chargeender
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Kaylan Chargeender »

How will cursed items, which get stuck to you once the curse activates, affect magic item attunement? If you have your max number of items attuned, will cursed items not affect you or will cursed items not count towards your max attunement limit?
Sir Kaylan Chargeender
Knight of the Order of the Crimson Aegis
Jamie
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Post by Jamie »

Can Resurgence be used at below -9?
GM-Mike
GM

Post by GM-Mike »

Cursed items will depend on the item. Some may forcibly take an attunement slot--you'll lose an item at random, while others won't.

Resurgence can be used at below -9, yes.
Joe
New in Town
New in Town

Post by Joe »

how do the armor restrictions affect those who dabble in a second path as an example a fulls sage that decides that they want to be able to heal and so spend the points to learn all of the skills up to heal but they want to use their heavy armor as well will that make them not able to use said healer abilities or just weaken said abilities
Joe
New in Town
New in Town

Post by Joe »

Can brewers learn more than the 4 basic and 4 advanced potions or are they stuck only knowing 8 potions until they reach master level?
potentiallydead
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Post by potentiallydead »

1) Does Boon Essence Bolt have an Essence Point cost the way the Empath Essenc Bolt does?

2) Should Warrior Crush require headed weapon like Barbarian Crush?

3) Can you copy the more detailed explanation of Weapon Focus from the Dwarf racial discipline to the Warrior skill?

4) Should Valkyn'vi Sandman or Brawler Sandman require fist phys rep?
Zydana
GM

Post by Zydana »

Could you please add a definition to "Character Retirement" so the player knows what they are giving up/forfeiting for the listed gains.
GM-Phil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by GM-Phil »

Armor restrictions on Out of Path skills is a good question and we will get you an answer soon. My opinion is Out of Path skills would be restricted by their Path Armor restriction.

The Boon and Empath ability should be the same skill, just stackable to do more damage if you have both. We will work on the editing.

For Brewers. They are only limited in the potions they can brew if they take the Swap out version of their 2nd level skill.

- The primary 2nd level brewer skill lets you access all potions in the book, but do not start the game with any.
- The swap out limits your potion selection, but allows you to start the game with some ready to go. (I will have to double check but I believe the potions Brewers bring in with this skill are Permanent potions as well.)

I do not believe the Warrior Crush has a headed requirement like the Barbarian Crush does. We will let you know if that is not the case.

We can get the Warrior Weapon Focus more detailed, yes.

Sandman - We will let you know if there is a Fist req, or not.
Hi.. I'm Aidan!