RULES! (No Really)

A glimpse into the process of LARP design, into the minds of the creators, and a chance to interact on a design level with the GMs--basically what we're thinking and why
Phinkis
Town Member
Town Member

Re: RULES! (No Really)

Post by Phinkis »

Interrogator S/O skill "Pierce the Veil" seems cumbersome, especially for the limited use it has. You have to use the level 1 and level 3 skill before it's useful. Also, there is a conflict between this and another skill that says your disguises can't be seen through. Which skill wins? Why does this need to be so hard to use? Why not just make it a count to use the skill on someone who is unconscious, restrained or willing?

WITCH hunter. Ok, this one got me really riled up. When I read this change, I just stopped. It's been days since then and I'm just now getting back to write this and finish reading the changes. First off, let's start with the renaming. Why? Was there some offended party out there that requested it? The name of a path or discipline is only there to vague idea of what skills it contains. As Phinkis I have identified as a "mage hunter" since I started. Changing the name was unnecessary. Let's move on to the change that really tic'd me off. Switching out Disenchant for Magic Scorch. I get that maybe adding another place to get a scorch call was needed and it does make sense for a WITCH hunter but loosing disenchant for magic scorch seems like getting the short end of a stick covered in crap. These skills do not feel equal to me at all. Another thing, it's not like disenchant was available in a lot of places either. Why take it from here and move it to Valkyn’Vi? If there existed a need for a disciple with scorch then one should have been created for that instead of messing with a discipline that seemed fine before.
GM-Mike
GM

Post by GM-Mike »

Given the tone of your message, I'd wager that you would be downright amazed at the number of complaints we've received over the years about the name :D
We finally relented.

As for your other concern, we didn't really switch disenchant from with hunter to Valkyn'Vi, the switch that came first was moving it from a discipline to a path. The Valkyn'Vi addition came much later in the creative process, and given feedback, perhaps we blew it there too! Remember that all of this, seeing how drastic the changes are, should be considered a playtest. If we messed up, we'll change it again. I personally feel that scorch is better than disenchant (which will show you how far away my thinking is to yours--so one of us will likely be very wrong (probably me if history serves)) and can be far more regularly useful than disenchant ever was. Like I said, though, after we see it in action, if it turns out we made a mistake (and I'm sure we've made a few), then we'll fix it again.
GM-Mike
GM

Post by GM-Mike »

Oh, and Pierce the Veil sounds terrible for sure, but there have been lots of plots in the past that really could have used a skill like that. I see it used for possessions, for dopplegangers, for shapeshifters (like Kitsune), etc.

I do agree though that it probably doesn't need to be so complicated. We'll definitely look at it.
Phinkis
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Phinkis »

Why is the boon essence bolt only 3 damage and the empath skill is 5? It seems the boon is only really useful if you have the skill. Why can't they both be 5 base and if you have both it's 8? It seems weird that this boon is the only one weaker than a level 1 skill.
Phinkis
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Phinkis »

Somehow I posted double, sorry.
Last edited by Phinkis on Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phinkis
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Phinkis »

Phinkis wrote:
Improved Master of Magic (Master):Through their advanced knowledge a character with this skill may partake in a ritual with others to aid in casting an Awoken Spell.
Does this mean you can't cast an awoken ritual without this master specialty? Do the others in such a ritual have to have this as well or just the caster?
Phinkis
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Phinkis »

Perk - Ready to go. 1 Magic Component or 1 Alchemy Component at check-in.
Is that supposed to be one spell component? I though magic components were gone.
GM-Phil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by GM-Phil »

Yes, that is 1 Spell Component
Hi.. I'm Aidan!
Phinkis
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Phinkis »

Clairvoyance –8 Essence, 6 Minute Cast Time, 2 Spirit Water, 2 Pixie Vapor. This spell reduces the base time of the “Scout” skill and “Recall” skill to 5 minutes.
Aren't these skills now GM discretion?
GM-Mike
GM

Post by GM-Mike »

When there is no GM present you assume ten minutes.

I believe there is something wrong with Improved master of magic as you should be able to be in a ritual without that. It will get cleaned up after the event--sorry I don't have a better answer now.
Kaylan Chargeender
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Kaylan Chargeender »

This may have been addressed, but it came up while helping fresh meat make their first PC....since augment can increase LP by one...will sages have the option to do the same for Essence? Its not currently on the list but seems logical, especially considering statements made about sages having a more refined understanding of essence.
Sir Kaylan Chargeender
Knight of the Order of the Crimson Aegis
Kaylan Chargeender
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Kaylan Chargeender »

Will weapon focus work with the following skills:

Stun Strike-essence boon
Whirlwind-warrior swap out
Crush-warrior swap out
Hamstring – Beastman