Rules Release Part 2

A glimpse into the process of LARP design, into the minds of the creators, and a chance to interact on a design level with the GMs--basically what we're thinking and why
GM-Mike
GM

Rules Release Part 2

Post by GM-Mike »

We're still working on some of the bigger items, like spells, potions, and disciplines, but here are some additional rules/edits for the new book. Note the level progression as changed and the armor restriction has been removed from the flee boon (as we are aligning armor restrictions to paths only). All other changes are in bold. As always, we welcome feedback, comments, concerns, suggestions, etc. As usual, all rules we are currently releasing are works in progress and are subject to change based upon feedback by players.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ual ... sp=sharing
Zydana
GM

Re: Rules Release Part 2

Post by Zydana »

" Because of the difference in the size of a tag versus the item it is meant to represent, a character may carry a maximum of 10 resources on their person."

"Characters are only allowed to travel between chapters ONCE between events, and thus you can only bring the number of resources you can legally carry (i.e. 3 without a container) to the other chapter."

Fix.
GM-Mike
GM

Post by GM-Mike »

Thanks, will update
Abaddon
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Abaddon »

why no knockout essance boon. knockout didn't change.
"I would only teach them Necromancy as part of a balanced breakfast."
Zydana
GM

Post by Zydana »

"Reduce the time required to activate a skill, cast a ritual or create an item. For skills that take a minute or less, you may reduce the time to 10 seconds. For skills that take between one minute and five minutes, you may reduce the time to 60 seconds. For skills that take longer than 5 minutes, you may reduce the time to two minutes."

Suggestion - tweak the wording slightly. Current wording sounds like you can reduce a one minute skill to 10 seconds or 60 seconds. I know, being nit picky.

Something like - For skills that take over a minute and up to five minutes, you may reduce the time to 60 seconds.

Oh- OH! That says to X seconds, not BY X seconds. THAT'S AWESOME!!
Zydana
GM

Post by Zydana »

"Multiple hero points may be spent to reduce time but additional skills may not be used to further reduce the time. For example, you would like to cast a spell that requires ten minutes to cast. You spend a hero point to reduce that time to two minute. Feeling the rush, you spend an additional hero point to reduce that time to 60 seconds. You may spend yet another hero point to reduce that time to ten seconds."

I'm disappointed there's no example of how you can't use additional skills to further reduce the time.

"You spend a hero point to reduce that time to two minute."

psstt.. add the s so it's two minutes.
GM-Mike
GM

Post by GM-Mike »

Edits are always helpful, thanks!

Knockout did change. It now appends the sleep call onto your attack. Didn't want just anybody to be able to do that...
Abaddon
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Abaddon »

OHH.

not in the rules set there.

should just take knock out out of the calls.
Knockout
If your character’s Armor and Combat Reflexes is equal to or less than the number called, then the character is Knocked Out for 5 minutes. They can be awakened only by the “Awaken” call. When combined with the “Vorpal” call, the character needs to be able to resist or mitigate the Knockout effect to be able to avoid the call.
"I would only teach them Necromancy as part of a balanced breakfast."
Zydana
GM

Post by Zydana »

So, now instead of saying knockout, we say sleep. The straight call of sleep is going away. So, we are reluctant to have a "2 sleep" essence boon?
GM-Mike
GM

Post by GM-Mike »

I took out the knockout call and added an s to minute. Thanks for those.

I could possibly be talked into a 2 sleep essence boon, I suppose, if people really wanted that. It now does damage and also possibly knocks someone out.
Malachi
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Malachi »

Ooh, does Disarm work on shields now too? Yay!
Disarm
If you are hit with a Disarm, you must throw the item you are currently wielding at least two feet away from your body. If you are wielding more than one item, the one in your dominant hand is disarmed. Fist and Natural weapons cannot be disarmed. Disarm always counts as Crush damage.
So, wielding a weapon and a shield, if you are hit with Disarm twice in rapid succession, and have no way to resist it, you lose both weapon and shield, right?

::edit::
Scream
When you hear a scream call, you take the subsequent effect. For example, if you hear “Scream 3” then you take 3 damage. If you hear “Scream Disease” then you are under the effect of a disease, assuming you cannot resist that effect. The Scream call does not interrupt skills.
So, if I have a skill charged and take 'Scream 3', my skill is not disrupted?

When attempting to destroy containers, does the container have to be targeted directly? For example, if I were carrying a class 1 container and happen to be silly enough to be struck by a catapult, is my container destroyed, or do I just take damage as normal?
Last edited by Malachi on Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Malachi Vandire - Deceased
Solomon Feir

Scott Smith
Ark
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Ark »

GM-Mike wrote:I took out the knockout call and added an s to minute. Thanks for those.

I could possibly be talked into a 2 sleep essence boon, I suppose, if people really wanted that. It now does damage and also possibly knocks someone out.
I don't see a mechanical issue with it, same as knockout, you still need assassin ToD or flat of blade to really be scary with it. might actually be worth using more in encounters because even if the sleep fails (and it will, often) you at least do some damage and get something out of it. . .yeah I support it.
If it storms or snows, or the sun smiles on us. The day burning hot, or ice cold of night. Dusty are our faces, but joyful are our minds! - Panzerlied
Brian: Do not respond, quote, argue, debate, or try to start a conversation about anything I say or post, directly or indirectly, specifically or implicitly. At the very least I will consider it stalking, and going further consider it harassing, belittling, demeaning, mocking, or insulting. I will immediately report it as such and push to request that your forum privileges be at least suspended or terminated, and going further request your LARP attendance privileges be suspended or terminated as per the Final Haven Code of Conduct. this is your notice and warning.
If you have an opinion on something I say, or a particular topic, but would prefer to keep your opinion private (or complain) then CLICK HERE! to send a private message to GM-Mike the head GM and let him know.
Ark
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Ark »

Malachi wrote:Ooh, does Disarm work on shields now too? Yay!
Disarm
If you are hit with a Disarm, you must throw the item you are currently wielding at least two feet away from your body. If you are wielding more than one item, the one in your dominant hand is disarmed. Fist and Natural weapons cannot be disarmed. Disarm always counts as Crush damage.
So, wielding a weapon and a shield, if you are hit with Disarm twice in rapid succession, and have no way to resist it, you lose both weapon and shield, right?
I thought disarm always effected shields? there is a video on youtube of jj getting hit with disarm and loosing his shield iirc.

EDIT: yup just checked Julie hits him with disarm and he throws down his shield.
If it storms or snows, or the sun smiles on us. The day burning hot, or ice cold of night. Dusty are our faces, but joyful are our minds! - Panzerlied
Brian: Do not respond, quote, argue, debate, or try to start a conversation about anything I say or post, directly or indirectly, specifically or implicitly. At the very least I will consider it stalking, and going further consider it harassing, belittling, demeaning, mocking, or insulting. I will immediately report it as such and push to request that your forum privileges be at least suspended or terminated, and going further request your LARP attendance privileges be suspended or terminated as per the Final Haven Code of Conduct. this is your notice and warning.
If you have an opinion on something I say, or a particular topic, but would prefer to keep your opinion private (or complain) then CLICK HERE! to send a private message to GM-Mike the head GM and let him know.
Malachi
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Malachi »

Welp, I'm a dummy. I mistakenly thought it only affected weapons.
Malachi Vandire - Deceased
Solomon Feir

Scott Smith
ollie
Town Member
Town Member

Post by ollie »

Not a big fan of the regen change. It was fine as is. To even get three levels out of the book, you needed to be a specific race and even then it was two minutes for full life. That's easily enough time to get disrupted in combat.
Ta'Ruk (DECEASED)
Mikklen (DECEASED)
Vilwin bin Yusef el Selah
Hitakari Tomayoshi