questions from rules

A glimpse into the process of LARP design, into the minds of the creators, and a chance to interact on a design level with the GMs--basically what we're thinking and why
Abaddon
Town Member
Town Member

questions from rules

Post by Abaddon »

Scroll and components should be added to starting gear so magus's can have some basic scrolls at start.

everyone can read. do we get those starting points back?

what scrolls will converted wizards get?

will magus's be able to researcher new spells?

also can we get rid of Untyped buffs and change it to "stackable."

Untyped buffs are a type of buff with their own rules calling them untyped is awkward at best.
"I would only teach them Necromancy as part of a balanced breakfast."
GM-Mike
GM

Re: questions from rules

Post by GM-Mike »

Good questions! Here are the current answers.

Scrolls and components will be added to the starting gear. We didn't talk about refunding points to respend for those who took read/write but that certainly makes sense so for now assume that yes, we will do that.

Wizards will get every spell (converted to the new system) that they currently possess.

I believe we will entertain spell research. New spells that enter game will likely be unlearnable (meaning the scroll will burn up when cast) until the spell has been adequately playtested.

I agree untyped is awkward. No wording is in their final form and that would be at the top of the list to work on.

(For those who were not at the event and thus no idea what we're talking about, the rules will be posted by end of the day tomorrow)
pluflove0890
New in Town
New in Town

Post by pluflove0890 »

For Sage, I assume you have to have the lesser skill to take the greater skill (via Power of the Ancients), like to take Mass Heal, you must have the Heal skill. Is that correct, and if so, what are the prerequisites for the Magus skills?
Zydana
GM

Post by Zydana »

I understand that Wizard is being renamed Magus in its overhaul and Alchemist is becoming a discipline again under the guise of "Brewer," but what of the Arcanist Discipline? Is that simply being erased, or will that be reconstructed as a lesser form of Magus (and thus non-Magus Path characters can dabble a bit more into the magic arts), or perhaps a discipline that will compliment a Magus path character?
Zydana
GM

Post by Zydana »

For a healer's Extend Life - is the removal of the ability for a healer to appoint someone else to stay in contact with the patient an oversight or intentional?
Marcus
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Marcus »

I assume it was on purpose, to put focus solely on Healers, but I always loved the roleplaying aspect that it added, and was also HUGE when you are the only healer in a scene, and can't take the time for Surgery/First Aid when you see a second person hit the ground, so have to get a volunteer to hold your patient.

Maybe add back in the 'death if interrupted' if a person without the skill is taking the healer's place?
-Evil always prevails when good people do nothing.

-All knight, every night.
Joe
New in Town
New in Town

Post by Joe »

I feel that the rule book needs another overhaul with the changes.
Is the resist mind effects for sage the same as chieftain resist mind effects?
GM-Phil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by GM-Phil »

I will answer the best I can here -

To Angie about Arcanist - Since everyone can now utilize magic spells there will not likely be an Arcanist Discipline as everyone can already dabble in magic.
Magus is there to allow a character to focus largely on casting spells and using magic, just like other Paths allow them to focus on what they do best.

As for Extend Life - it was intentional to remove the ability to allow someone else to take over. What it did before and how it was used were not in the best interests of the skill, so now as a Basic skill it is pretty darn good that a Zero level Healer could keep someone alive indefinitely (as long as they are not interrupted of course). It may detract a little from allowing others to participate, but that will just encourage a group to make sure they have enough Healers on their plot.

The Resist Mind Effects in Sage is the same as Chieftains, and a lot of the skills will have better wording and be fleshed out soon.

To Paula - Most likely you will have to have a lesser version of a skill before taking the greater. We will look at adding it into skills that may require pre-reqs. Although I believe many of those skills are no longer there. Personally I would say you could take Mass Heal without having Healing, they are two distinct skills and while one is higher level is not necessarily a better version. Again we can look at this and decide how to proceed. Good Question!
Hi.. I'm Aidan!
Zydana
GM

Post by Zydana »

Read Write questions...

All players may now read common and their racial language. Does that mean that all races will have languages now? If not, may they choose something else?

What about multiracial characters? Dewberry Stoutbringer, for an example was half elf, half dwarf. I assume he would be able to choose either dwarf or elf in addition to common? Would you allow him to read dwarf and elf and not common?

In some role playing circumstances, would you make exceptions? Ug for example, was an orc who was raised by and believed himself to be an elf. Would he have common and Elf VS common and Orc?

I also assume that if we wanted our character to be illiterate, you wouldn't force literacy upon us and that it is now simply a free option to allow our characters to read/write as we choose. We may role play learning to read if we wish - and also, it is up to us to determine how well we are able to read.
Zydana
GM

Post by Zydana »

Magic Item Attunement..

It takes 30 minutes to attune a magic item to you. Can you do more than one at a time?

How do you UN-attune?... Can you?!
GM-Phil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by GM-Phil »

Attunement - You may only attune one item at a time ( Unless you have something else that says otherwise) - As for Unattuning, that takes 30 minutes as well and may only be done one at a time also.

As for Read/write - I would say for most of your questions that would be a character by character choice for the GM's. The same goes for Illiteracy. If you want to play you are Illiterate, then go for it. I have never seen an incident where you are not allowed to RP a handicap for your character. You could simply play Illiterate and then through RP evolution get taught how to read and write.
Hi.. I'm Aidan!
pluflove0890
New in Town
New in Town

Post by pluflove0890 »

I am also curious if there will be a way to create new scrolls from a spell book or memory (not new spells).
GM-Mike
GM

Post by GM-Mike »

Currently you will not be able to create scrolls. You would never need more than one altruistic player to have such an ability for everyone to have every spell in game (or every spell we allowed to be copied). This would in turn make players who invested in doing magic better than everyone else less special.
Faust
New in Town
New in Town

Post by Faust »

So, are scrolls random finds similar to magic items currently?
Kaylan Chargeender
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Kaylan Chargeender »

GM-Mike wrote:Currently you will not be able to create scrolls. You would never need more than one altruistic player to have such an ability for everyone to have every spell in game (or every spell we allowed to be copied).
That would only be true if making copies was free or inexpensive. Require materials in the one gold (vary this by spell potency of course) per scroll range and you have added to the economy system, and limited the occurrences of philanthropic PCs.
Sir Kaylan Chargeender
Knight of the Order of the Crimson Aegis