The Economic System

A glimpse into the process of LARP design, into the minds of the creators, and a chance to interact on a design level with the GMs--basically what we're thinking and why
GM-Mike
GM

The Economic System

Post by GM-Mike »

As mentioned in the minutes, we continue to discuss the economic system and what if any changes we should make to it. We would like specific feedback from the players regarding this topic. Specifically, we want to know which parts of the economic system that you find to be fun. Not looking for the opposite at this time. Therefore, if you find nothing to be fun about it, you don't need to post at all at this point. We may ask for suggestions or feedback on changes in the future, but we just wanted to start here. Thanks in advance for your remarks!
Kaylan Chargeender
Town Member
Town Member

Re: The Economic System

Post by Kaylan Chargeender »

Where do you want those response posts placed? on this thread?
Sir Kaylan Chargeender
Knight of the Order of the Crimson Aegis
GM-Mike
GM

Post by GM-Mike »

Yes please.
Kaylan Chargeender
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Kaylan Chargeender »

I haven't done much with the current economic system, until FH underwent the 5 year jump due to several factors. Before Kaylan wasn't in a place where running a business or businesses (which is essentially what that system is for a fantasy medieval setting). His goals were less concrete, and he had essentially settled into working as one of Korrigan's "right hands" so to speak. I also didn't have a sufficient grasp of the mechanics to be comfortable that I wasn't mucking it up and just throwing any in game resources away. lastly, there was, at that time, a great deal fewer opportunities to get in the game since a majority of the holdings were in the hands of Haven or Korrigan.

Since the game has moved to the Wildlands, 5 years have passed, and Kaylan has new duties and goals; there is now more opportunity, Kaylan's need for financial resources has changed due to in game obligations and circumstances, and having access to Phil in monster camp during the slow moments (read: 5 am) means I could take advantage of getting a tutorial form one of the guys that had a hand in the systems design...WHILE I was sitting there with the paperwork for MY holdings in hand for me to see. This made it easier to visualize the big picture.

As for what makes it fun, it ads to the immersion and realism of my PC. In the Wildlands, the heroes are even more like semi independent minor nobles or upper middle class personalities where self support is not only logical but imperative. Logical realism even in a fantasy setting is a large part of what /I enjoy, because I play to experience the journey of the character I build. Not because I need to feed some hero complex (I have played support builds and bad guys before), its not because I have some story I am compelled to tell and force other players to "get". Kaylan deals with so many crazy fantasy events, part of what the economic system does is ads a system to represent the mundane he SHOULD be faced with handling as well. That's the kind of thing that make a game feel real. Otherwise its like having good guys but no bad guys.
Sir Kaylan Chargeender
Knight of the Order of the Crimson Aegis
Kiel Reid
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Kiel Reid »

Regional Advisers (Primarily utilized to locate magic items, not information on holdings)
Roleplay with Economic Holding contacts
Kayla
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Kayla »

I like that a concrete economy system exists. To explain further, I prefer the system we have to a system where everything is trade-based or where prices are set by PCs only (i.e. I like having merchant NPCs).
Xil Zymasi, Crew of the Red Wind // Dakkon Wrynn, Dark Elf Outcast

Feel free to PM me if you have any forum/website questions/issues. I can take care of them for you.
Also, note that although my name is red, I am not a GM and therefore cannot answer logistical questions (such as rules) definitively. That said, I'll certainly try to help!