Captured! (Online Adventure)

Continue your adventures in Phanterra here! Want to gather a party to scout out that mineshaft full of undead? Want to figure out what the results wereof your destruction of the world-rotation device? Find out here!

Moderator: Admin

Zydana
GM

Re: Captured! (Online Adventure)

Post by Zydana »

((OOC: OH No.. he's not getting off that easy. I'll probably go shove my laptop in his face sometime tomorrow so he can make a post. Also, I want to say I'm pleased with how many people have turned up for this :D ))
Kaylan Chargeender
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Kaylan Chargeender »

(((ill be at Takis tonight between 11pm and midnight...ill see if I can catch up on his puter)))
Sir Kaylan Chargeender
Knight of the Order of the Crimson Aegis
Zandron
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Post by Zandron »

Ignoring the moody, dark, and mysterious Valykn'Vi, Zandron stumbles toward Gondowon, slipping on the ice. With a yelp, he manages to slide into a deep lunge and keep his balance.

The elf giggles, a sound unbecoming a naval officer. "See Mahto? Stretches is good."

He rights himself, then lurches toward his trusted lieutenant. Aiming keenly, he hefts a pick and strikes at the structurally weakest point. [master critical strike]
Cap'n Z
The Redwind
Morgause
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Morgause »

As Gondowan begin's to free the figure from the pile of icy rubble, the Master Sage sees the sapphire is embedded into a feminine face. It's the Valkin'vi Morgause... blood trickling from a wound on the side of her head and a gash on her neck.

Paer'an joins in the effort to free the Seer. Rock after rock, the two manage to uncover the Winter Witch. Right before the Lightning Rider leaves to address the Guthrie, his hand manages to gently brush Morgause's cheek as he removes another shard of ice. His touch seems to invigorate the Seer in some way.

Morgause's icy-blue gem set in her forehead begins to glow. First softly, like a tiny ember... but then brighter, pulsating with a strange energy. Blue and pink motes of light begin to surround the Valkin'vi. Her eyes abruptly open and Morgause's body is suddenly surrounded by indigo flames.

Gondowan does not feel any heat emanating from them then sees Morgause's body begin to tremble. Abruptly, the Winter Witch rises from the ground. The last shards of ice and rubble are shed from her as the Valkin'vi's body slowly floats several feet into the air. Her sapphire glows with an ominousness that is frightening yet soothing at the same time.

The Winter Witch's bleeding body begins to swirl in slow circles... a magical wind blowing through her long raven locks, her gaze transfixed on the nothingness before her.

Morgause's body then stops suddenly. Her eyes turn white. Strangely, the witch begins to hum a haunting melody. The song lasts but for a few moments before the winds and motes of blue and pink light encircling her slowly vanish.

Then the Winter Witch's eyes return to normal. She seems to be aware now of her surroundings. Fear and confusion fill her face. Desperately, Morgause grasps at the collar of green metal around her bloodied neck. She cannot free herself. The Seer is overcome by terror. She tries to scream but she cannot produce a sound. The jewel in her forehead glows even brighter, it's blue hue changing to a sickly green. Her body begins to convulse uncontrollably, much to the horror of those viewing her disturbing display.

Then, as quickly as it started, the Valkin'vi's eyes roll back into her head. Morgause's body falls limp and seemingly lifeless before plunging to the cold ground beneath her.
"I will love the light for it shows me the way, yet I will endure the darkness because it shows me the stars."

Lady Morgause - The Winter Witch
Daughter of the An'Irri & Oracle of the Weather Tradition
Chamberlain of the Guild of Seekers
Khorvalis
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Khorvalis »

Seeing this, Khorvalis rushes to Morgause. He passes Pear'an and the Guthrie and tries to maneuver past his comrades Zandron and Gondowon but slips on a patch of ice. Fighting the pain, the old druid crawls toward the Winter Witch and grasps the bloody collar around her neck.

Khorvalis' hand sparks with a flash of electricity, his druidic magic shattering Morgause's collar. He then places his hands over the Seer's wounds.

"Oh healing Sun... please let my effort not be too late so save her," Khorvalis cries as a golden aura like that of pure sunlight begins to envelop Morgause.

Healing energies flow from the Hierophant's scarred hands and into the Seer's body. Her wounds slowly begin to close. The gem in Morgause's forehead eventually reverts to it's vivid blue color.

The Valkin'vi's eyes eventually open.
~Khorvalis~
Druid of the Redwind
Hierophant of the Circle of the Sun
Follower of the Light and Keeper of the Sacred Flame

"Nothing brings me more happiness than trying to help the most vulnerable people in society. It is a goal and an essential part of my life - a kind of destiny. Whoever is in distress can call on me. I will come running wherever they are."
Morgause
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Morgause »

Weak but alive... Morgause struggles to bring a smile to her face as she sees her friend crying before her.

Khorvalis smiles back and brings the Valkin'vi to her feet.

The Seer slowly looks around and sees Gondowan and the others... Her expression fills with gratitude.

Then she sees her Lightning Rider, Paer'an.

A tear of joy runs down her cheek.

Morgause runs to Paer'an and embraces him passionately then whispers something into his ear.
"I will love the light for it shows me the way, yet I will endure the darkness because it shows me the stars."

GM-Brad
Town Member
Town Member

Post by GM-Brad »

[Discussion and drunken shenanigans may continue as you travel]
Eventually, someone breaks the hinges on the door with a pickaxe, and armed with tools, you lead the prisoners down the tunnel.

“Taking elves, or whoever they can find, to act as slave labor is nothing new,” say Laurel on the way. “The Depraved seem to despise other races that have the beauty they do not. But, these collars are new. They must have recently found a cache of this weird metal…”

Eventually, the tunnel leads to another cavernous room. Big icicles drip water from the ceiling. You watch for a moment from the shadows. You immediately notice the giant, iron bell in the middle of the room. The stone scaffolding around it is old and crumbling, with bits of color. There are reliefs depicting elves who are singing. They are all wearing jewelry painted green: earrings, necklaces, rings. All those wearing the jewelry seem deformed or crippled in some way, but none the less they sing on. Other elves in the image look on in horror. A final scene is faded and hard to see.
Read Only if you have Spot
In a final scene, other elves sit in judgement of the deformed singers. The jewelry is stripped from them, and a ritual is cast, which makes the ugly, deformed elves “disappear” from sight.
There are many more prisoners here (some wearing collars), digging under the direction of two dozen ‘Depraved’ with whips. Every now and then some relic is unearthed: a toy, a plate, a staff. If it’s made of green metal, the Depraved seem mildly pleased. But, they seem much more pleased when one slave uncovers a book. An especially fat and ugly Depraved lovingly places it in a sled with other written works of its kind. Four big Depraved guard the sled.

Laurel shivers. “That ugly one is Bolg, the slave master.“

A recess off to the side of the cavern houses your gear (!) all stacked in a large pile amongst rotten food, like unwanted trash [for the purposes of this adventure you may not steal anyone else’s stuff- sorry.] At another spot in the cavern you notice some sparkly bits among the rocks: spell components for the grabbing.

Before you can get to any of it, however, you are spotted, and the Depraved rush forward. Bolg raises a large hammer, and makes to strike the Bell. Another Depraved yells at him, “No, it’s not time, yet!” But, Bolg strikes the bell with a grin, and a cacophonous sound reverberates through the cavern. Every bit of green metal vibrates. Slaves wearing collars scream and fall to the ground. Kalyan, with the vibrating shield strapped to his arm, has a seizure. Blood starts pouring from his ears, and he writhes on the ground.
For Kaylan to read only
All you can do is writhe in pain until someone unstraps the shield from your arm.
“Time to scramble the brains,” says Bolg.

It’s time for combat.
GM-Brad
Town Member
Town Member

Post by GM-Brad »

There are 25 Depraved grunts, 4 Large Lieutenants, and also Bolg. Some of the prisoners fight alongside you, but they aren't that effective.

Here’s how “forum combat” works. You may each fight up to three rounds (stop whenever you like if you want to hide). Describe your battles.
If you take a “Wound” three times, you will need Surgery (or die). Take one or two Wounds, you are fine (no mechanical disadvantage). After combat is over, as long as you are alive, any Healing (or regeneration) will remove all Wounds. After everyone has acted, if there are any monsters left you may all do another three rounds. Repeat.

Round one:
A Depraved rushes towards you.

First choose who you are targeting: A grunt, a lieutenant, or Bolg. Then choose one of the following and reveal it.
dont stop to think, charge full speed ahead
Feint.
+2
Attack from the shadows --basic critical strike required
+2
spin and strike
+1
Pick Axe to the skull. Nuff said.
Ahh, the classic. +2
No look strike behind
-1, not as easy as it looks in the movies.
Pry the shield off of Kaylans arm
you manage to get the shield off. Do not roll for combat this round.
Grab a torch from the wall and attack with that
They’ve got a thick hide that doesnt burn too well, +0
run and grab some spell components
Do not roll for combat this round. Consider yourself as having enough components to cast spells for the remainder of this adventure.
Furious assault --Rage required.
+5 but you take a Wound in the process.
Disenchant --skill required.
+3. For a brief moment, the Depraved suddenly looks less ugly and more elf like
taunt, then attack --skill required
Agitated by your insults, the Depraved fights carelessly. It seems very sensitive about its looks. +4
Fire Arrows from afar --archer required
+2, and you will not be wounded regardless of result
Greater Channel Magic --skill required
+3.
Cast Attack of the elements --spell required
Your spell catches two of them! Roll twice on the table below, +3 to both attacks.
Push a boulder off a ledge onto an enemy- press required
Impressive, but very slow. -2
Ignore combat, instead rush over to grab your equipment.
Spears shoot out of the equipment pile. It’s trapped! Take a Wound unless you have Avoid Trap or Disarm Trap (the later clears the way for others). Describe what happens. You may still grab your gear. +1 to all future combats.

Roll two dice (http://www.random.org/dice/), then add these additional modifiers:
+1 if you have retrieved your gear.
-2 if you are targeting a Lieutenant.
-4 if you are targeting Bolg.

10 or higher= you defeat your opponent.
6-9 = neither you nor your opponent do significant damage.
5 or less = your opponent ‘Wounds’ you.

Round Two:
Another Depraved approaches.

First choose who you are targeting: A grunt, a lieutenant, or Bolg. Then choose one of the following and reveal it.
Lunge.
+2
aim for the head
+1
aim for an open, puss filled wound
Some sort of disgusting liquid squirts you in the face. -2
Elaborate, Fancy maneuver.
+5. Truly impressive, but you overdo it. Skip the next combat round to recover.
Evade.
Don’t roll. Neither you nor your opponent hit.
strangle the bugger with your bare hands
+1
Throw your shoe as a distraction
It actually works amazingly well. +4
Try and stop the bell from ringing
-2. You are assaulted along the way. If your combat is successful, then the bell is stopped.
Hop on a Sled and attack while riding that
+1
try to Free some more prisoners
-1, you are still attacked. But, +1 to all future combat as those freed prisoners fight by your side.
Parry, then strike --Parry required
+1, and you will not be Wounded regardless of result.
One-two punch
Roll twice, +1 each time. +2 if you have ambidexterity
use Sleep -any number
-2, It doesn't seem to work well against these creatures.
Lesser channel
+2
Scorch it
+2, For a brief moment, the Depraved suddenly looks less ugly and more elf like
Cause Fear
automatic success. It runs away.
Trip the Depraved with a pickaxe
It falls. +1 to this attack round. If it doesn’t die, then also add an additional +1 to the next attack round when you attack it again.
Wait for the perfect moment --Master Critical Strike or Touch of Death required.
+8. But it takes time. Skip the 3rd round.
Cast a spell --Wizard required
+5 You are able to effect only one target. Describe your spell. If it's non-damaging, this is an indicator for how effective it is.
Block --Defensive Matrix required-- then strike.
+1, and you will not be Wounded regardless of result.
Ignore combat, instead rush over to grab your equipment.
Spears shoot out of the equipment pile. It’s trapped! Take a Wound unless you have Avoid Trap or Disarm Trap (the later clears the way for others). Describe what happens. You may still grab your gear. +1 to all future combats.

Roll two dice (http://www.random.org/dice/), then add these additional modifiers:

Round three
A big Depraved gets all up in your business…

swing low.
+1
bash one with a big rock.
+1
Slice a little more off that ugly face
+0
Tackle it.
-2 unless you have Press, then +2 instead
Heavy overhanded swing.
+2
Defend an Ally
-1. Inform someone who has not posted they have an additional +3 to their 3rd round choice. If everyone has posted, you fail to defend.
Slide on the ice like a human bowling ball
Roll attacks on three enemies, -1, -3, and +5.
Throw a pick axe
+0, unless you have the Throw Dagger skill, in which case +4
swing a chain around like a bolo
+2.
Extinguish the torches on the wall. Douse everyone in darkness
Inform everyone they are at +4 on all critical strike combat checks, but -1 if they do anything else.
Lead a group of prisoners in a charge
Roll against two enemies. +1 to each
Double Strike--duel wield required.
+3, Roll again if you do not like the first result. Keep the best of the two.
Banish--skill required.
little effect, -3
lesser channel Magic
+2
Improved Critical Strike
+3
Essence Blast
+2
Delay to Heal self or ally with potion or skill.
You wait. Do not roll for combat. When everyone has completed three rounds, you may heal one person of all Wounds before combat begins again.
Delay to Buff all with sage buff -battle tactics or augment
+0. You are still attacked. But, when everyone has completed three rounds, inform them they have +2 to combat for the next three rounds.
Delay to snack -eater of the dead
+0. You are still attacked. But, you will have +2 to combat for the next three rounds.

Morgause
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Morgause »

Morguase see's the piles. Knowing she will be of no use in battle without spells, the Winter Witch runs toward the spell components and grabs as many as she can before trying to retrieve her equipment. Eventually she arrives to the equipment pile, but a surprise volley of spears is launched at her.

"Oh no, it's a trap!" Morgause screams.

She manages to dodge the first spear that flies her way but is struck by another.

"Ahhh!" The Valkin'vi let's out a blood-curdling scream as the spear pierces her thigh.

Morgause fumbles to pull components out of her bag as she limps back to the safety of the group. But she is met by one of the Depraved lieutenants. Blocking her way, the horrid creature roars at her, exposing a maw of sharp, rotting teeth and long, razor-like claws. It braces itself, ready to charge at the wounded Winter Witch.

The Seer finds what she is looking for in her bag and raises the spell components in her hand high above her head. She then yells in defiance, "Foul beast, you will not proceed any further!"

Cackling blue flames emerge from Morgause's jeweled forehead and leap toward the Depraved lieutenant in a dazzling display. (Successfully cast Dominate Monster)

For a moment, the creature stands still with a confused look on his face. Morgause makes a twirling motion with her finger and the lieutenant turns around to face the other Depraved behind it.

"You will not harm my companions nor I," commands the Winter Witch to the Depraved lieutenant. "Instead, you will attack your kindred. By my force of will, leave no Depraved standing... Attack!" (Brad, please describe how the charmed lieutenant attacks the other Depraved in subsequent rounds.)

Morgause eventually manages to limp back to the group and takes position next to Paer'an.

She pulls out the spear from her leg and winces in pain. As blood gushes from her thigh, she sees another Depraved emerge from the shadows, about to strike the Lightning Rider.

"Noooo!" Morgause takes her bloodied spear and desperately throws it at Paer'an's attacker. The blade fails to pierce the skin of the Depraved but the spear manages to trip up the creature. (Successfully defend ally... Paer'an, you gain +3 to your 3rd round action)

Morgause forces a furtive smile as her eyes meet those of her Lightning Rider, but the Seer quickly buckles over in pain as she remembers her injured leg. The Winter Witch tries to position herself further back behind Paer'an and the others, well away from the center of battle, all the while applying pressure to her bleeding wound.
Last edited by Morgause on Sat Dec 05, 2015 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Khorvalis
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Khorvalis »

As the Bell is sounded, Khorvalis covers his ears at it's deafening sound.

The Hierophant is horrified when he sees Kaylan's shield begin to gleam with a greenish glow. As Kaylan falls to the cavern floor convulsing, Khorvalis immediately moves to the side of his friend and strips the magical shield from the drwarf's arm.

From the corner of his eye, he sees Morgause running towards the equipment pile and how she is wounded by the hidden spears.

"We must find a way to disarm that trap!" Khorvalis yells to Mahto, Zandron, Gondowan and the rest of his comrades.

Knowing that he does not possess the necessary skills to do so, the druid instead focuses his attention to the screaming slaves writhing in pain. As the last reverberations of the Bell's cacophony fade from the cavern, Khorvalis fears that the slaves will not be able to survive another of the Bell's tolling.

"Spirit of the Earth Mother, aid us in our time of need!" Khorvalis raises his wrinkled hands in front of him and gestures frantically. Mystic runes are traced into the air and the ground beneath the druid begins to rumble. Vines of ivy and thorns begin to sprout from the earth and crawl towards the Bell.

A Depraved grunt tries to interrupt Khorvalis' ritual, but the mass of vines manages to block it's path.

Khorvalis continues to weave his hands in the air as if conducting a symphony. As the vegetation reaches it's target, thick tendrils begin to entangle the Bell. (Successfully stop Bell from sounding... Magic Root)

Having stopped the Bell, at least for a short while, Khorvalis sees more and more Depraved emerge from the shadows to attack his fellow Heroes of Haven. The old Ga'vin knows he must do something to help his companions.

"Valiant Heroes of Haven! May the Light of the Sun protect you and give you strength... Sugod!" Khorvalis' words ring clear and fill the cave with scintillating beams of sunlight. Each of the heroes is bathed in warmth and inspiration as golden halos rest upon their brows. (Battle Tactics successful: All heroes... when everyone has completed the first three rounds, you will have +2 to combat for your next three rounds.)

For a moment, the Depraved cover their faces to shield themselves from Khorvalis' light, but it is not enough to thwart the onslaught. A grunt lashes out at the druid but Khorvalis is able to flee from his attacker.

Khorvalis drags Kaylan's body away from the Depraved and props him against a sled. The druid hovers over Kaylan's body and sees the blood flowing from the dwarf's ears.

"Don't worry, friend. I will let no more harm befall you..." Khorvalis says. The old man knows that he must find a way to revive Kaylan and somehow keep the rest of the Depraved at bay.
~Khorvalis~
Druid of the Redwind
Hierophant of the Circle of the Sun
Follower of the Light and Keeper of the Sacred Flame

"Nothing brings me more happiness than trying to help the most vulnerable people in society. It is a goal and an essential part of my life - a kind of destiny. Whoever is in distress can call on me. I will come running wherever they are."
Gondowon T. Falbor
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Gondowon T. Falbor »

Gondowon looks on in shock as chaos erupts around him. He hefts his pickaxe towards the Grunt in front of him and using a rather simple technique, brings it down upon the creature's skull, plunging the pick deep into its brain. (Pickaxe to the Skull, Rolled 12 on Die Roller) The sage winces as he pulls the tool out and a gush of blood and gray matter stain his shirt, but he has no time for regret as another depraved grunt rushes towards him.

Being a little more bold than usual after a rare victory against an enemy, Gondowon attempts a similar tactic, aiming for his opponent's skull once more. His blow is not nearly as accurate after having to recover from a downswing, but he manages to catch the creature where he wanted to, once again dirtying the ground with pieces of bone and splatters of blood. (Aim for the Head, Rolled 9 on Die Roller) Gondowon feels a bit like retching as he experiences the intimate death of an enemy for the second time in only a few seconds, but he manages to keep his previous meals in his stomach, albeit just barely.

As a third grunt approaches him, he's less keen to strike again, and decides to ignore it, stepping back to try and less directly aid the group. He shouts above the din to his allies, trying to help them fight intelligently, hoping it will augment their tactics. "Time your attacks with theirs! Let them in, then while they're recovering from their swing, strike them where they're weak! As long as we keep our heads about us-"

The depraved Gondowon ignored uses the sage's speech as an opportunity to lunge at him, hoping to catch him off guard. Gondowon's eyes widen in fear as the creature lashes out at him, but as he attempts to sidestep, he trips on a rock and falls backwards suddenly and to his favor. The monster swings just above him as he tumbles, and a moment later Gondowon scrambles back up to a standing position. He does what he can to continue where he left off. "Er, as long as we keep our heads about us we can win this!" (Delay to Buff All with Sage Buff [+2 to combat in the 3 rounds after the first 3, though I'm unsure whether or not this stacks with the previous buff from Khorvalis], Rolled 6 on Die Roller)
"The road an adventurer walks has no destination, yet they reach places no one else can dream of reaching." - Gondowon Tedra Falbor
Mahto Snowbringer
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Mahto Snowbringer »

Mahto growls fiercely at Bolg. Before turning to his companions:

"I'll distract the big one. Get the bell and release the prisoners."

Round One:
Mahto charges forward toward the large slave master like a animal (FURIOUS ASSAULT --RAGE REQUIRED.). He slashes valiantly at the beast with his pick but to no avail (9). However, due to his rage The Snowbringer leaves his left flank open to an assault - Bolg's hammer connects with his side and Mahto's bones crack from the impact. Mahto gasps, the wind knocked out of him. (1 Wound).

Round Two:
Mahto pushes the hammer away from his side and hobbles back, he dodges the incoming strike from Bolg and puts his pick out in front of him, like he would a sword. (PARRY, THEN STRIKE --PARRY REQUIRED). However, even the large Ga'vin is put at odds without his familiar weapon in hand - Bolg lunges forward and his the pick out of the way, leaving Mahto defenseless - thankfully the commander is able to fall-step backwards in time to dodge the blow against him. (4 - But Parried the Wound)

Round Three:
Mahto takes another step back and grunts. He lifts the pick over his head and throws it at the ugly slave man. (THROW A PICK AXE) Mahto's experience with throwing daggers shows clear as the pick axe flies true toward Bolg and strikes his heart. (10) Mahto gasps and smiles slightly: "I didn't think that would actually work..."

Mahto breaths deeply and walks toward the corpse, he hefts the slave master's hammer up and prepares for more enemies.
Mahto Snowbringer:
Commodore of Haven's Royal Navy
Commandant of Haven's Marine Force
Leader of The Savage Phoenix Tribe and their village of Dar’dakous
Captain of "The Chimera"

“Fortune Favors the Brave."
Isho
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Post by Isho »

The monster pushed his wa forward, striding across the tunnel floor. The others go after their gear and this gives the creature a chance to stroll into battle.
Bolg attacks with his massive hammer, and the gargyle reaches up and deflects te blow with his arm. There is a sickening crunch of broken bones and stone on metal. The the monster in inside the depraved grasp. The beast digs his claws into the soft flesh of the depraved leaders under belly te smell of blood becomes thick and fetid red decorates te floor.
"MEAT." The creature screams. It puts it's giant claws around Bolg's skull and squeezes hard. The deprived leader turns puple and the sickening crack of bone and flesh as the gargoyle snaps his neck.
+5,+1, -4 9r
DEFEATED
STRANGLE BOLG
+1 +1 -4
12R -4 + 1 +1 (10)
DEFEATED
Bolg collapses in a heap of steaming entrails. The creatures gobbles the meat in his face and as he does the blue runes flicker and his bones begin to snap back in place.
EAT THE BODY +0
+1 - 4 9R (6) (NOTHING)
The Witcheater
"When I am full I almost sentient. When I am hungry I am danger to everyone."
Mahto Snowbringer
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Mahto Snowbringer »

(OOG- Well, shit, I guess he gets to die twice)
Mahto Snowbringer:
Commodore of Haven's Royal Navy
Commandant of Haven's Marine Force
Leader of The Savage Phoenix Tribe and their village of Dar’dakous
Captain of "The Chimera"

“Fortune Favors the Brave."
Isho
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Post by Isho »

Ooh or I can kill lieutenant s