Captured! (Online Adventure)

Continue your adventures in Phanterra here! Want to gather a party to scout out that mineshaft full of undead? Want to figure out what the results wereof your destruction of the world-rotation device? Find out here!

Moderator: Admin

GM-Brad
Town Member
Town Member

Captured! (Online Adventure)

Post by GM-Brad »

{Note: If you’re late to the adventure, you can start out in the thread Solitary Confinement, which will instruct you how to catch up with everyone else. The link is here: http://www.finalhavenlarp.com/phpBB2/vi ... 023#p72023}

You wake up in a dimly lit area and rub your head. When your vision clears you see the faint glow of ice on the walls. You are in an underground cavern. At some point during the night there was an attack. A group of small, grotesque humanoids ambushed you on the road. Their faces were covered in boils, and they didn’t seem to like the lantern light. You put up a good fight, driving them back, but they had something else with them. It was invisible, whatever it was. And, strong. And, it reeked of death. You could feel its grip, but you couldn’t see it.

You may recount the story of your capture, if you like. Pick two random elements below. Try and incorporate those into your account for a bit of fun. It need not be long:
Random Element 1
A Battering ram
Random Element 2
A Toy doll
Random Element 3
A Dirty blanket
Random Element 4
A spiked pit trap
Random Element 5
A coffin
Random Element 6
Poison arrow(s)
Random Element 7
A pot of soup
Random Element 8
An Alehouse
Random Element 9
Someone vomiting
Random Element 10
Jumping from a tree
Random Element 11
A bed
Random Element 12
A bard singing
Random Element 13
Hunting for food
Random Element 14
A bet
Random Element 15
A hacksaw
Random Element 16
Mushrooms
Random Element 17
A locket
Random Element 18
Nearly drowning

Now, you’re here. Someone begins lighting torches along the wall. It’s an elf. He’s sporting several bruises. “I’m sorry,” he says, with a look of utter despair. “Welcome to hell.” For those who know him, you recognize Laurel Greenleaf. You look around to see a dozen or so other prisoners. Many are elves. Some wear an odd, green, metallic collar. If you are a Magus or a healer, you too sport such a collar. It does not come off.
Read if you are a Magus or a Healer
If you use any magic, or healing beyond first aid, the collar will shock you, wounding you. It does not prevent you from using your skills, however.
Other than your clothes, you have none of your possessions. Your hands are free, but a long chain connects one foot to an icy wall. Pickaxes liter the ground, but otherwise you are weaponless. Laurel explains your ugly captors are known only as “The Depraved.” Everyone else has been here a while. Some years. Laurel’s been here a month, though you get the impression this isn’t new to him. He’s scared.

“My wife, Alea, and I were prisoners of these creatures many years ago. I escaped. She did not. I’ve been searching for her ever since. But, all I’ve managed to do is get myself captured, again. And, none will tell me what’s happened to her. This particular cavern is new to me, but I do know prisoners rarely get to see the sun again…”
Read only if you have Research
The Depraved are known to enslave and torture those they abduct, moving them constantly. They are especially jealous of those races that are beautiful, like elves. Lastly, many have claws fit for digging.
There is a large crack in the ice wall, and soon the prisoners pick up their axes and resume their work. Occasionally, amongst the ice chunks, they unearth something else: bits of pottery; a rusted candlestick; an ancient shield.

“We search for artifacts, though we know not what,” says laurel. “Everything gets set in a pile. Every 3 hours The Depraved return to check on us. If we have not discovered anything new, they beat us. If the beatings aren’t persuasive, they remind us they’ve got our loved ones captive, elsewhere. A son, a mother, a…wife. This is but one prison area of many. “
Read only if you have sense magic
In the pile of found objects, you notice one that senses as magic: The shield. Scraping away the bronze paint reveals a green metal underneath.
At the far side of the cavernous room the floor ends in a jagged chasm. You lean over, and the stench is overpowering. It reminds you of the smell when you faced the invisible “thing.” Iron rungs in the nearest wall lead down.

“Occasionally, The Depraved go down there," says Laurel. “There are things that live down there. Things without form. Even the Depraved are scared of them. We stay away.”
Read only if you have Spot
Deep down at the bottom of the chasm is the faint outline of a tall, ruined building.
Up here, there is but one tunnel out of the cavernous room. It is bared by a makeshift iron door. It is an easy enough matter to break your chains with a pickaxe, and to bust the hinges on the iron door. But, the prisoners recoil at the mention of escape.

“If any try to flee, our family members are as good as dead,” one says to you.

You think it’s best to stay together, and to find your missing equipment soon. It’s bound to be stashed somewhere. Do you wait for your captors to return, go down into the chasm, or escape out through the cell door? Or something else?
Mahto Snowbringer
Town Member
Town Member

Re: Captured! (Online Adventure)

Post by Mahto Snowbringer »

Mahto rubs the back of his head and groans. How did he get here in the first place? He seemed to remember comforting a puking Zandron outside the local alehouse and then...shit...the two naval commanders hadn't been bested like that since they were younger. Mahto opens his eyes slowly taking in the scene in front of him. It takes him a moment to feel the chain on his ankle. He frantically pulls at the chain. His mind wanders to his time in The Arena and the liberation of his clan. He had chosen slavery that time...but it was hell all the same...he had no desire to be imprisoned again.
"Dammit...not again...dammit." He gives up for a moment and punches the wall in frustration, a chunk of ice coming out of the mined wall. He looks past the elf and the others, looking for another elf that was more important.

"Zandron? Is your drunk ass here somewhere? He sighs, still scanning for his mentor. "Don't worry, we'll help you out of here...just help me find the elf with the snipped ears first."
Mahto Snowbringer:
Commodore of Haven's Royal Navy
Commandant of Haven's Marine Force
Leader of The Savage Phoenix Tribe and their village of Dar’dakous
Captain of "The Chimera"

“Fortune Favors the Brave."
Khorvalis
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Khorvalis »

"Mahto, is that you?" Khorvalis squints his eyes into the darkness then utters a soft canticle. A gentle glow emanates from his fingertips.
"Ah, it is you... My dear friend," the druid smiles and tries to approach his Redwind comrade but is stopped by the chain about his ankle.
"What is this evil that has befallen us?! The last thing I recall is seeing a suspicious smallish person skulking near the orphanage. It was dressed in sullied rags and a dirty blanket. I followed it into the forest to try and see what it was up to, then I was attacked by something I could not see. It emerged from the darkness like a swift foul-smelling wind. In the skirmish, the smallish being revealed its face to me. It was a horrid creature, grotesque... but around its neck was a shiny silver locket. A Depraved! That's what it was! Kidnappers and torturers... I've encountered them before. Then something hit me from behind, and that's all I can remember."
Khorvalis scans the cavern to see who else the Depraved have captured.
"Now we are here," the druid sighs, "Is everyone alright?"
He see's the elf covered in cuts and bruises.
"Let me heal you, my child... By the Light of the Sun, I will close your wounds."
The old Ga'vin summons the magical energies needed to heal Laurel Greenleaf, but as soon as his ritual is completed, Khorvalis is abruptly shocked by the collar around his neck. The druid let's out an agonizing cry. "Arrgggh!"
~Khorvalis~
Druid of the Redwind
Hierophant of the Circle of the Sun
Follower of the Light and Keeper of the Sacred Flame

"Nothing brings me more happiness than trying to help the most vulnerable people in society. It is a goal and an essential part of my life - a kind of destiny. Whoever is in distress can call on me. I will come running wherever they are."
Kaylan Chargeender
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Kaylan Chargeender »

*Kaylan’s hands slither to his sides as if each was searching for some familiar hand hold, while the rest of his form remained still and his eyes still closed. When nothing is discovered by his skittering digits, the grizzled dwarven knight croaks words that trudge out on pained breath*

“…what are the chances I can persuade, threaten, bribe, or plead for you to be quiet just a bit longer as I try to gather the energy to kill our captors with the weight of this headache they have gifted me…”

*After a half dozen failed or abandoned attempts, Kaylan brings himself to a seated position with all the speed of the changing of the seasons*

“sooo….everyone has full permission to provide a gentle mental readjustment …. to my cranium … with a pot…if I ever consider making a wager to drink every time an orc bard forgets a lyric …or …you can just kill the bard and save me the lump.”

*Kaylan scrapes some ice chips from the floor with the heel of his boot, and presses them to the back of his neck*

…also…never ever never…fight unseen attackers after 37 shots of orc home brew….its…unadvised at best….where…in blazes…are we?”

*The dwarf listens to Laurel, shaking his head firmly at first before stopping and looking like he may vomit. Once slightly recovered, Kaylan move in a half crawl, half slither to the closest pick axe and starts trying to use it to free himself, muttering about allowing himself to be in such a shameful state that a dwarf with tools can’t seem to un attach such shoddy smithing.*

“I swear by my grandfather’s beard, I will put an end to these Depraved wretches in such a fashion their corpses feel the pain once I get to a sturdy hammer…”

*Kaylan quickly scans the pile of discovered knickknacks quizzically*

“Khorvalis…can you sense if anything in the scrap pile buzzes with magic?”

*Kaylan looks to the others.*

“Mahto my good man…has anyone inspected the chasm yet?

*Kaylan turns to Laurel, and winces at having done so with too much haste*

“How long has it been since the Depraved last came to inspect the pile and if they find something in it, do they take it into the chasm or up the tunnel??”

*Kaylan’s gaze become crystal clear and snaps to look at Khorvalis, when the druid cries out. Without taking his eyes from Khorvalis, the dwarf growls to his feet and frees his foot from the shackle with a ringing strike of the pick, nor residing in the grip of his weapon hand. The dwarf shambles as quickly as he can to the druid to inspect him and the collar*

“I guess that is notice that tossing magic is a no-no here…”

*Kaylan glances over his shoulder at Mahto and the others*

“We need to find our equipment…and then our hosts….so that we can be good, and grateful guests and thank them accordingly…”
Khorvalis
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Khorvalis »

"I will be fine, Lord Kaylan," Khorvalis picks himself off the ground. "Thank you."

"My wounds will heal themselves, in time"

He looks at the pile Kaylan pointed out, "That shield over there, it looks to be made of green metal... like that of our collars"

The druid picks up the shield and examines it for several minutes...then scans the rest of the cavern.

"Chargeender, your were correct, this shield is indeed special. It radiates magic."

Khorvalis looks to the drawf and the sailor. "One of you take it."

He sets the shield in front of Kaylan and Mahto. "Nothing else in this cave seems to be magical though."

Khorvalis takes a torch down from one of the sconces and swings it as if it were a club before wiping the sweat from his scarred brow.

"We must be ready to defend ourselves. Use these pick axes or shovels if we must." He looks at Laurel, "I pray your beloved wife is still alive... The Depraved are ruthless and cunning."

Khorvalis, uses the pick axe next to him to break the shackle at his feet. Once free, the druid proceeds to liberate the others near him.

Exhausted, the old man then sits himself on one of the rocks near Mahto and starts chanting rhythmic words in a long-forgotten tongue... his eyes transfixed on the dark path before them.
~Khorvalis~
Druid of the Redwind

"Nothing brings me more happiness than trying to help the most vulnerable people in society. It is a goal and an essential part of my life - a kind of destiny. Whoever is in distress can call on me. I will come running wherever they are."
Kaylan Chargeender
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Kaylan Chargeender »

*Kaylan looks down at the offered shield, glances to his left arm before bending to pick up the shield of odd metal. Before securing it for use, Kaylan glances to Mahto questioningly, before inspecting the armament*

“So how about it ya sea dog? Will you be looking to fight sword and board or will you seek out a different tactic?”

*The large dwarf sighs a heavy sigh, and nods as Khorvalis speaks*

"Khorvalis is right, we will eventually be facing the Depraved. We do not know how soon they will return, so should decide on a course of action soon....suggestions or favored areas to inspect...tunnel or chasm? I personally feel we will find our tools up the tunnel.."

*His eyes move from each of the captives, as he waits to hear their thoughts*
Sir Kaylan Chargeender
Knight of the Order of the Crimson Aegis
Mahto Snowbringer
Town Member
Town Member

Mahto uses the pick to remove his chain and proceeds to help other heroes of Haven who may not have spoken up yet. He holds his pick up and swings it, testing the weight. He speaks low and slowly, his voice rarely getting louder than a mutter.

"Well, I don't know Lord Kaylan, do you think you'll be needing the extra protection? I'm sure I could do without if you NEED it..." A rare smirk appears across Mahto's face. "In all seriousness, I think the shield would be of equal use in either of our hand. He turns to Khorvalis, "As for our next move, I'm almost more concerned about removing these collars, to be frank, Crewman, you are little help to us without your magic..." He tugs a little at his our collar to see how strong the metal is.

"Once we are more organized I agree we should break through that door." Mahto's commander eyes dart to the door, and around the room - assessing what kinds of folk they were with, what kinds of skill he could use. "I would prefer to have my own sword in hand, before seeking out an unknown enemy."
Mahto Snowbringer:
Captain of "The Chimera"

Isho
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Post by Isho »

On the far side of the cave from everyone else is something else. This thing is not a person, but some kind of monster. It has tattered ruins of wings and thick muscular legs. The creatures skin in stone like and has been carved with ancient elven runes. More than nine feet tall and gifted with claws longer than a man’s forearm. Its head is a maw filled with jagged teeth and horns some of which are jagged and broken. The eyes are open and burn with a kind of alien need.
This thing has been connected to not one chain but six. Each stained to its limit as the monster tries to break free. Each time it fails to break the chains it gets angrier and loses a howl loud enough to crack the ice above them and cover them in in a gentle dusting of snow.
The Witcheater
"When I am full I almost sentient. When I am hungry I am danger to everyone."
Phinkis
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Phinkis »

Phinkis jolts up as if startled. "Oh, well I guess that was not a dream I was having." He takes a few moments to take everything and begins fiddling with the metal necklace now attached to his neck. "Well, it seems I will be very little help down here unless I can remove this contraption..." His eyes flash blue for a second and there is a snap in the air around him.(disenchant)
SirJoriel
New in Town
New in Town

Post by SirJoriel »

Cicero tries to look like he knows what's really going on.

"Hey guys, I think we got captured. I've been listening in the shadows and kinda figured out what's going on," he finishes with a yawn as he obviously just woke up.

"What I think we should do is.. Escape! Can someone break this chain?" Cicero scans the room, and sighs relief. It wasn't completely his fault he was there, was it?

"By the way, I'm never drinking with you again, red ass," quietly the elf smirks at Kaylan.
Cicero the Impatient, Bard understudy to the court wizard of Brennondale, slayer of demons, and official storyteller of the battle of the bloodfence.
Zydana
GM

Post by Zydana »

Still laying on the ground, a body still lies in a large purple robe. Her dark hair covers her pale face.

The howls of the beast startle her awake. She glances about until her eyes find the shackle around her ankle. She becomes fixed on it and her eyes grow wide. She sits up and begins pulling at the shackle.

"No! No! No! No no no no no!"

The dim light catches a small pool of red, sticky blood on the cavern floor where she had been laying.

She begins pulling at the chain, as though there was some hope of detaching it from the wall.

It is unsure whether or not she has seen the others in the room, but clearly now all her attention is on the chain and shackle.
Mahto Snowbringer
Town Member
Town Member

Mahto simply turns to the gargoyle and puts a finger on his lips:
"Shh""

Before rushing to Kami's(?) side,
"Ladies first, of course." He smashes the chain with his pick, "Please be calm Madame, if we lose our heads we might as well give ourselves over to the enemy."

He abruptly stands and walks over to the beast. He again talks in a quiet voice.
"A Bard traveling from a land called Sanctuary told me of a beast such as this...If his account is true that it can be trusted. That is if it can learn to be quiet..." He takes a couple of steps forward until becoming almost face to face with the creature. "Calm yourself Grey-One, I will break your chains." He proceeds to due so until the monster is free, he let's Kaylan and Khorvalis handle the other heroes.
Mahto Snowbringer:
Captain of "The Chimera"

Zandron
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Post by Zandron »

With a groan, captain Zandron struggles to open his eyes. Between pounding temples, he finally pries open a single eyelid, squinting up at his surroundings.

"Нёllo?" His tongue lolls between numb lips, his accent almost incomprehensible for the liquor-induced slurring. "Ї hёar voiєes through pouлding dгums."

With a heave, the elf grips the chain about his leg and pulls himself to a slouched sitting position. Blinking slowly with a wince, he steadies his balance and calls out again: "I кnow уoц aґe hёre, Мahтo."

Squinting into the darkness and wavering unsteadily, he adds: "Щhy is theґe a нoцse hёre?" His eyes slump down to the chain, "Заткнись! Щhy щe are єhaїned?!"
Cap'n Z
The Redwind
Khorvalis
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Khorvalis »

Having finished his chant, the old druid stands upon his rock and brandishes his torch.

"Heroes of Haven, may the Sun smile upon you all, now in our darkest of hours..." Khorvalis proclaims softly to those within the cavern, "By the Light, may you be filled with strength and courage! Sugod!"

(Every time when you hear Khorvalis say the command word "Sugod" you are granted the ability to use Press/Resist Press. You may do so at anytime after the command word, but only once aka Battle Tactics.)

Khorvalis cautiously moves toward the other side of the cavern, "Mahto is right. I too have heard stories of this gargoyle from my compatriot, Dr. Vivica Jekyll. It is not a beast of the Depraved. This creature too is a prisoner, just like us."

"And Zandron, this is not a house. Sober up, dear captain. We have all somehow been captured by the Depraved."

Khorvalis, uses a pick axe to free Zandron and help bring him up to his feet and checks the elf for any wounds or injuries. "You will be okay, captain."

He then walks over to Phinkis, "I am sorry that you too have fallen victim to such unfortunate circumstances, my friend. Our magicks are of no use to use here. Not unless we can rid ourselves of these metal collars."

Khorvalis examines Phinkis' collar for any lock or mechanism.

"I may be able to Mimic the skill to open these collars, but it will take me a few minutes." He smiles at Phinkis, but his grimace cannot hide the worry in his face.

"It's worth a try."
Last edited by Khorvalis on Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
~Khorvalis~
Druid of the Redwind

GM-Brad
Town Member
Town Member

Post by GM-Brad »

As a point of clarification, Empaths do NOT have a collar. And empathic magic seems either unhindered or ignored by the collar’s effects. Other Magus or Healer path skills will work normally, for those wearing one, just "spells" and "healing effects" trigger the collar's reaction.

Those wearing a collar notice it hums ever so faintly. When Phinkis disenchants his own, the hum dies down, but a few seconds later it returns. Even prying during those few moments, the collar does not budge. The metal is unusually strong. There is no lock, and they appear as one smooth, continuous piece. You're not even sure how they got on you.

Laruel replies to Kaylan’s question: “The Depraved last came about 10 minutes ago, to deliver you. They inspect the pile, and take away everything. Anything made of that green metal,” he points to the shield, “does seem to hold their interest, so maybe that’s what they’re looking for. Clearly there was some ancient civilization here at one point in time that’s left all this stuff.”