The Depth of Night

Continue your adventures in Phanterra here! Want to gather a party to scout out that mineshaft full of undead? Want to figure out what the results wereof your destruction of the world-rotation device? Find out here!

Moderator: Admin

Zydana
GM

The Depth of Night

Post by Zydana »

The hour is well past midnight, but hours before dawn. What remains of the candlelight in the Inn burns low, allowing soft shadows to flicker about the room. Few patrons are up this late, for many have retired into their bed chambers hours ago. Now is the hour in which the men count their coins, or trades are made in secret in secluded darkness from the eyes of others.

The Valkin’Vi emerges silently from her chambers at the inn. Her bare feet pad softly as she walks across the wooden floor. Her hair is not adorned with its usual embellishments of braids, ribbon, bells and other bobbles. It is flat and dark, hiding her pale face from the light. Her hair cascades down her shoulders and over her purple robe, to which she is clinging to tightly.

She takes no notice if others may be in the room. Her gaze does not waiver. She walks slowly to the other side of the common room. She stops at a large window, staring out into nothing but darkness.
Alinar
Town Member
Town Member

Re: The Depth of Night

Post by Alinar »

Alinar had doffed his armor, preparing to retire for the night, when he noticed the silent sentry at the window. Kami seldom appeared to show interest in anything - so this current behavior warranted attention.

Though subdued, his voice still managed to carry across the Inn. "Abbadon, are you near and yet awake? What does she perceive?"
Zydana
GM

Post by Zydana »

She turns her head towards the elf, but does not make eye contact. She shakes her head as to support the silence that answered the first of Alinar's questions.

Without responding to the second, she turns back to the window.

Her gaze lowered, she fixates on a new area of the window near where the bottom of the glass meets the frame.
Alinar
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Alinar »

Alinar frowns at Abbadon's absence. "Perhaps you, then, would be willing to provide clarification as to what has drawn you to this window at such an hour?" He moves close to Kami as he speaks, expecting at best a reply in the barest of whispers.
Zydana
GM

Post by Zydana »

Alinar is met with silence. As he closes in, she takes a few steps backing away from him, watching her pale, bare feet as she does so.

There is a long pause - but only a moment for that of an elf.

"Forgive me if I have disturbed you," she says in her low tone, still looking to her feet.
Alinar
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Alinar »

Anything more would have been surprising. Alinar gives the barest of nods and returns to his area.
Khorvalis
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Khorvalis »

***Fast forward several moons... Back at the Inn***

Khorvalis finishes sewing the last few stitches on a woolen blanket that he is preparing to donate to the Brenondale hospital.

The white-haired Ga'vin then carefully folds it and meticulously places his gift into a simple burlap bag at his side filled with more sheets as well as some medicinal herbs he had picked earlier that evening.

As the druid slowly collects his things, he notices Kami once again staring through the window of the inn, gazing into the nighttime's pitch darkness. This time, however, her once constant companion Abaddon is no longer at her side.

Limping from an old battle wound, a sore reminder of his once violent youth, Khorvalis approaches the enigmatic Valkin'vi, "What is it that you see, my dear?"

He peers through the window for a few seconds before returning his gaze to Kami, "I do not know what it is, but I can see a frightening void of darkness..."

Khorvalis' compassionate eyes meet Kami's for just a brief moment as if peering into her soul. Then old man whispers softly and continues, "It is almost as if the shadows themselves were alive..."
Last edited by Khorvalis on Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
~Khorvalis~
Druid of the Redwind
Hierophant of the Circle of the Sun
Follower of the Light and Keeper of the Sacred Flame

"Nothing brings me more happiness than trying to help the most vulnerable people in society. It is a goal and an essential part of my life - a kind of destiny. Whoever is in distress can call on me. I will come running wherever they are."
Zydana
GM

Post by Zydana »

The whites of the Valkin'Vi's eyes have a slight shade of red, and her lids slightly swollen. She runs her thumb along the embellishments of her robe's trim as she pulls her robe a little tighter around her arms and shoulder. Apart from briefly closing her eyes, she makes no movement to acknowledge the Ga'Vin or his cryptic phrases.

She continues standing at the window, silent and still.
Khorvalis
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Khorvalis »

Not surprised by Kami's silence, Khorvalis sits down at a table near the window and pulls out a piece of paper from his satchel and begins writing something.

After a few moments, the old man lifts his head and once again gazes upon the Valkin'vi. The flickering candles in the inn cast shadows on his visage that seem to dance along the countless scars covering the Gav'in's ashen skin.

Khorvalis rejoins Kami by the window and the two stare into the nothingness of night.

"It is always the darkest night before dawn. But the sacred sun will soon smile upon us, my dear." The druid smiles, "A new day is nearly upon us."

Concern fills his voice and the Ga'vin gently whispers, "My child, I know you are afraid. I have sensed the fear in your heart. I too once feared the darkness... but what is shadow, but the absence of light?

With those words, Khorvalis raises his hand near the window and a soft flame emerges from his fingertips. The once blackness of the window is slowly replaced by the reflection of the Gav'in and the Valkin'vi standing side-by-side.

Kami senses a soothing warmth emanating from the the druid's flames as Khorvalis stares at her reflection in the mirror-like glass.

"The Light burns within all of us, some more brightly than others... dispelling the darkness and rebuking that which is not good."

(Khorvalis begins to speak in the Valkin'vi tongue) "Kami, I have seen such a light within you... shining, dancing, and playful. I pray, will you not speak to me of it?" The druid turns to her, "It would be an honor, my dear, if you would humor this old man with a story."
~Khorvalis~
Druid of the Redwind

"Nothing brings me more happiness than trying to help the most vulnerable people in society. It is a goal and an essential part of my life - a kind of destiny. Whoever is in distress can call on me. I will come running wherever they are."
Zydana
GM

Post by Zydana »

She pays no mind to Khorvalis. She continues to look out into the darkness beyond the window.

When her gaze through the window is obstructed by the reflection of Khorvalis and herself, her gaze turns to the flame on his hand. She watches the flame for a short time in silence.

As the Ga'Vin starts speaking in the Valkin'Vi tongue, she gives him a sideways glance. She holds a clenched fist in front of her, and bows her head and starts whispering under her breath. Her fist begins to glow with a pale purple light.

The Valkin'Vi goes silent again, opens her hand, and the light flies towards Khorvalis' mirrored window. The glass does not shatter, but creates spiderweb cracks around the point of impact.

Without looking back to Khorvalis or the window, she turns and heads back across the inn.
Khorvalis
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Khorvalis »

Startled by the Valkin'vi's display of magic, Khorvalis extinguishes his divine flame and recoils from the cracked window. His bad leg catches the back of a chair and the old man stumbles to the ground.

The shaman's burlap sack flies open and spills its contents across the floor of the inn. The blankets he had sewn earlier unfurl in front of him and a colorful array of medicinal blossoms, berries and leaves litter the room.

As the Ga'vin desperately tries to collect his precious cargo meant for the sick of Brennondale's hospital, the druid sees something roll from his satchel and land near Kami's feet.

The Valkin'vi tries to pay no heed to the commotion but cannot help herself as her reddened eyes are drawn toward the item before her. She focuses on the small trinket, a beautiful crystal shaped in the form of a large acorn. It seems to glow with a supernatural radiance as the dying firelight from the inn's hearth catches the curious gem.

Seeing this, Khorvalis scuttles in front of the Valkin'vi and expeditiously recovers the crystalline acorn. He then stows it in a leather pouch hanging from his belt before picking himself up off the ground.

"I am sorry if my words have offended you," Khorvalis apologizes using the common tongue.

Even without turning her gaze to the old man, Kami senses that his contrition is genuine.

Khorvalis continues, his voice once again calm and reassuring. "That was not my intention, my child."
~Khorvalis~
Druid of the Redwind