Action is the sole medium of expression for ethics.

Continue your adventures in Phanterra here! Want to gather a party to scout out that mineshaft full of undead? Want to figure out what the results wereof your destruction of the world-rotation device? Find out here!

Moderator: Admin

Abaddon
Town Member
Town Member

Re: Action is the sole medium of expression for ethics.

Post by Abaddon »

As the first of the golems attacks Abaddon forms a blade of null magic. The blade rips the magic apart where it touches. The Golems are fast and the elf ducks back and swings but misses. Neither able to get a hit.

*Dis+ 4 roll 5 for 9

Casting away the blade of nothing the old wizard calls forth a ball of entropy. Entropy is a natural force that breaks down things. He slams the ball into the golems head and gets knocked back by the blow, blood dripping from his wound but the golem has been shattered to piecees.

"Shatter. +7 w wound. roll 10.

Another golem darts out and the Old man is smart enough not to engage s closely. He dives behind Kaylin's shield and throws the ball which shatters the golem to bits.

+4, +3 (kaylin), roll 8. 15

the wound drips from the side of his head in a river.Head wounds always bleed like that.
"I would only teach them Necromancy as part of a balanced breakfast."
Zydana
GM

Post by Zydana »

As the battle begins, the Valkin’Vi woman takes her position towards the back, behind both Kaylan and Abaddon. She is not a fighter, and knows she will soon be joining the battle, but not quite yet.. The golem does not notice her. (no roll)
A second golem lumbers forward and she scurries out of its way. (no roll)
Always keeping an eye on Abaddon during such battles, she notices his massive head wound. Whispering a bout of indistinguishable words into them, a soft light begins to emanate from her hands as she runs towards him. Now is the time in which she is needed. (no roll)
Alinar
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Alinar »

Another gold golem clears the line of fighters and focuses on Alinar, but the Elf twirls aside - keeping his first opponent between himself and the rest of the battle. He terminates his spin with a solid strike to the first golems' arm. Sparks fly, but no significant damage is dealt. He steps back to avoid another mass of gold swung at him - ever keeping this golem between himself and other golems nearby.

"Indeed, Captain - magic does little. The same, it would seem, for finess." Alinar leaps above a battering ram of a fist.

(Roll of 5 and 1, +1 for armor and +1 for spin & strike = 8 )

Other than golem-specific spellcraft, I surmise our foe is vulnerable mostly to barbaric acts of strength!"

With that Alinar throws himself at his opponent, pressing his full weight behind the sword as he passed between the bludgeoning arms. The blade hits hard but skitters aside amid another shower of sparks. The deflection offsets Alinars' balance and he falls to the ground - rolling immediately to the right to avoid a savage metal kick.

(Roll of 4 and 1, +1 for armor and +2 for Lunge = 8 )

He springs up to his feet, then launches himself high in a fluid move - to descend with a solid chop to the golems' shoulder. He continues to drop into a crouch as a gold fist swipes passed overhead, then springs back away from the machine to land in a ready stance.

(Roll of 3 and 3, +1 for armor and +2 for heavy overhand swing = 9)

"For which I am not particularly suited."
GM-Brad
Town Member
Town Member

Post by GM-Brad »

Ah, you beat me to a mid-battle update. Consider this to have happened just after Alinar’s latest attack (sorry Doug –you’ll understand the apology in a moment). As Alinar has done, you may take another 3 combat rounds (just start at round one again). As you observe your opponents, you get better at predicting their moves, which explains your foreknowledge of certain choices’ outcomes.

Grymthor and his four men are having a hard time of it, but combined together they manage to take down one golem, attacking from all sides till it collapses.

Grymthor steps back a moment to recover. “These things are bloody invulnerable,” he says. “Even that one which was blasted full in the face with magic is still standing. They must be resistant!” He points to the golem Alinar struck earlier with Channel. Suddenly it starts to glow from the inside, and the hard gold melts, running off in rivulets. The soupy creature is now half the size. “Hey,” says Grymthor, “It’s not that the magic didn't work, it was just delayed! Looks like it absorbed it, but couldn’t hold it in…”

The dead golems similarly blasted by Abaddon’s shatter and Kaylan’s magic hammer start to melt.

There is now one “half-sized” golem rampaging around (and 5 full sized ones left). If you decide to attack the half-sized golem, take an additional +3 to your combat. From here on out, if your battle choice involves Magic (if you are using an enchanted weapon, mention it), while it won't alter your immediate combat, after everyone has acted there will be a delayed effect (for the next cycle of rounds, if it is needed).
Kaylan Chargeender
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Kaylan Chargeender »

*Kaylan smirks a bit at Grymthor's discovery, and his hammer flares to life again with crimson dancing magic. Seeing the struggle of the men with Grymthor, Kaylan takes three long strides in their direction, throwing a light attack with his shield in effort to draw the golems attention from the group.
The automaton plods on, ignoring the dwarf knight, and with a growl Kaylan draws back his hammer and drives it into the lower back of the creature. The gold monster staggers a half step and it shatters into half a torso with a leg attached, and arm in mid swing, and a leg in mid step. When they drop to the ground and flail a moment before going still, Kaylan shouts at the broken pieces.*

"See what ya get for ignoring a dwarf with a hammer ya gilded dunce?!"
Round One total.....13=(5+6)-1(taunt, then attack )+2(armor/weapon focus)+1(plot damage enhancer)

*Seeing Grymthor's men swarm another foe, Kaylan turns and charges a golem near the Havenites, diving into a mid body tackle. The speed of the attack and mass of the burly dwarf stagger the gold foe and cause it to topple over, which Kaylan uses to roll to his feet and spin to drive the glowing hammer hard into the chest just under the neck. The blow deeply creases the torso and almost severs the head, but its enough to finish the creation.*
Round Two total.....13=(6+2)+2(Tackle it)+2(armor/weapon focus)+1(plot damage enhancer)
*Kaylan looks around at the three remaining full powered, metal assailants and moves to impose himself between the two closing on the old mage. with a grunt, his hammers swings backwards at he steps past the first, denting of its head and placing a small crack in the torso . although its slowed a moment it remains standing, and Kaylan throw up his shield to provide cover for Abaddon from the blows of the other animated behemoth, hoping provide the made with a distraction for his next attack.*
Round Three total.....8=(2+2)+1(Defend an Ally )+2(armor/weapon focus)+1(plot damage enhancer)
Abaddon has an additional +3 to their 3rd round choice
Sir Kaylan Chargeender
Knight of the Order of the Crimson Aegis
Zydana
GM

Post by Zydana »

Note: All of the below would take place BEFORE the second set of actions (between set one, round 3 and set two, round 3).

As she closes in on him, the female Valkin’Vi places her hand on the Abaddon-elf’s shoulder. The light from her hand is absorbed into his body. The gushing wound on his head dimly glows for a brief moment. When the light fades, his wound is gone.
(heal all wounds to Abaddon)

An exchange of glances between the healed elf and the Valkin’Vi, and she bends down low, extending her other hand towards the female wood elf and touching her leg, just above the ankle. Just as before, the light from her hand is absorbed into the leg of the female wood elf. The light appears over the wounds of the elf as a dim glow, before disappearing along with any traces of injuries due to the blast.
(heal all wounds to unnamed female wood elf)

The Valkin’Vi’s hands still aglow, she quickly stands and takes in the position of those on the battlefield. She looks to Grymthor, but he is just too far to reach. Her arm swings around, slapping Kaylan square in the middle of his back. The light of her hand is absorbed into his body and then completely fades from her.
(heal all wounds to Kaylan)

((OOC - Kami's second set of actions will occur after Brad has answered yet another question from me))
GM-Brad
Town Member
Town Member

Post by GM-Brad »

I'm been having some trouble PM'ing for some reason (along with a few other weird issues with the forum). Hoping to clear those up soon. Until then, Angie, I'm going to just post my reply to you here, to keep things rolling. I hope you don't mind. Also, it may be good info for others to know. You asked if you could select the Channel option even if you have Lesser Channel. Here's my answer:

I've lumped all the channels together for simplicity this time. During other encounters I may separate them. Go ahead and select that action. Describe your channel as a weaker version of what Alinar has done (etc.), but you may take the same bonus (or minus) from the hidden text. If you are successful, use the story of your post to tell why your weaker channel was still effective (other factors, such as surprise, etc., could come into play).

This combat system isn't a perfect match to the Final Haven system. It would be too tedious to represent everything. Lesser channel would be quicker to cast, for instance, but that's not represented either. I think you get the idea. I consider it more of a framework for a collaborative story...Some things we will have to fudge. Feel free to ask me about anything if you think it should have an additional plus or minus, though, and I may indeed add or subtract that to/from your action.
Abaddon
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Abaddon »

After Kami touched the back of the old man’s head the pain fades away. Blood still slicks his face and hands.
The Valkyn’vi, grabs the next Golem and pulls the magic from it’s workings. The golden thing slows.

+4 roll 11 15
Calling upon the power of entropy Abaddon puts his old hand on the machine’s cold gold exterior. This magical construct is so poorly made that is almost amusing. The magic does not hold and it explodes sending shards of gold into the soft fleshy bits of the old man’s face.
“And that’s why I wear a mask.”)
(+7 wound r 5 = 12

The old man dives under the dwarf’s enormous shield and reaches out and gabs the ankle of golem as it slams into the shield and Kaylin is not budged by it’s push.

+4 +3 (kaylin) 8 = 15
"I would only teach them Necromancy as part of a balanced breakfast."
Zydana
GM

Post by Zydana »

Standing next to the Abaddon-elf, the female Valkin’Vi faces the line of trees from which the golems came. She raises both arms into the air above her head – palms facing inward. Between her hands a small light appears. A hazy purple light with a bright white core forms. Slowly, the mass of light grows larger until it reaches the size of an apple. With the flick of her wrists towards one of the large golems, the light obeys and jets through the air passing over Kaylan’s hammer arm. The light impacts a golem on the shoulder and melts the curve of the shoulder away leaving behind an apple-sized notch. Despite causing some cosmetic damage, the hit does not seem to otherwise impair the golem.
(Roll : 6 + 2(modifier) = 8)

As the golems fight Abaddon near her, she dodges out of the way to avoid becoming the target of the golden constructs. Golden debris from Abaddon’s exploding golem rain upon her hair and robe. A shard grazes the back of her hand. A scratch – but nothing to worry about.
(No Roll)

She falls to her knees next to Abaddon, clasps her hands together and begins whispering into them. Once again, her hands begin to glow with a soft light…
(No Roll)
Alinar
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Alinar »

Alinar raises an eyebrow as his opponent melts. "A delayed reaction? Fascinating!"

He takes advantage of the golems' reduced stature by charging in and striking hard, this time slicing well into the golden structure. Multicolored fluids and gases spurt out before the slagged and sliced construct topples to the ground.

(Roll 5 and 5, +1 for armor, +2 for charging, +3 for same opponent = VICTORY)

The Elf looks about for his next target, but none appear to remain. "Best see to the remaining injured. As for our underground companions, I had expected their support during this battle. That they have not yet emerged is rather alarming."
Kaylan Chargeender
Town Member
Town Member

*Kaylan scans the area where Lhaewan walked into the woods for any sign of reinforcements, then turns to the group when none seems imminent.*

"Grymthor, take your men and gather together all the golem parts you can find, while we investigate what's happened below. Seems we will all be enriched by our interaction with them."

"Galadhorn, I honestly have to say the old man had me fooled with his demeanor, I thought it was you or Ademon were behind this, more he than you I must add. Now it seems your elder is the plot master.
Might you have a quick explanation on what would make Lhaewan take such an action, especially when it could harm you and Bregolon? If not maybe you can shed some light on the claims your dead friend was handing out more coins like the one I found on him, and why he would take such action"

*Kaylan glances over at Kami with a short nod and small smile.*

"My thanks."

*The grizzled dwarf turns to the old wizard and nods.*

"Nice work, remind me to get you a new mask made for helping."
Sir Kaylan Chargeender
Alinar
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Alinar »

“Lhaewan no doubt intends to hand out such coins to all at the merchants council to gain total economic domination over the region – and likely much more. Perhaps now he seeks to flee, or perhaps rally support among his remaining retainers as well as with Ruinor.”

“He has an unfortunate lead, as his golems were clearly meant to provide. However, while swift pursuit is most warranted, our companions within the mine may well require our assistance with equal urgency. “
Kaylan Chargeender
Town Member
Town Member

"Indeed, I am tempted to track him down first as well, but I am not one to leave or companions in danger for such a hunt. besides, I doubt he can run far enough...we have a Cirrus and he...doesn't."

*Kaylan smiles and pats Alinar on the shoulder.*
Sir Kaylan Chargeender
Alinar
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Alinar »

"Eloquently stated, Captain." Alinar shifts his blade into his left hand as a sphere of power begins growing in his right.

"Let us continue into the mine once our own injuries are addressed. Abaddon, Kami - What his the state of Bregolon and Galadhon?"
GM-Brad
Town Member
Town Member

Post by GM-Brad »

The gold golems, once slain, all start to melt, even the ones not struck by magic, till they are nothing more than lumpy puddles. The gold turns to a muddy grey color.

The wood elf bandits slowly start to come out of their time stop, very groggy, and they stare at the carnage around them.

Bregolon is alive, though injured, and Kami is able to heal him. He stands still, as if struck dumb. "I-I don't understand...what happened? Where's Master Lhaewan?"