The Haven Chronicles: Year 3

Continue your adventures in Phanterra here! Want to gather a party to scout out that mineshaft full of undead? Want to figure out what the results wereof your destruction of the world-rotation device? Find out here!

Moderator: Admin

GM-Mike
GM

The Haven Chronicles: Year 3

Post by GM-Mike »

(GM NOTE: The Haven Chronicles is a periodic publication which originated during the first year following the Red Tear's Decimation. The following are excerpts from that publication)

The Elves bring a new morning to the Vanguard Alliance
By Idyyrilah Enthrada, Foreign Correspondant - The Chronicles of Haven
In the wake of so much change, something with which the Elder Kin do not historically deal overly well, the Elves have done one thing; thrive. They have embraced this change, this chance to redefine their place in the world and what they have decided to contribute of themselves for the enrichment of the peoples of the world. The young King Anwyr has embraced the council of the older and more politically experienced members of the great households, encouraging them to journey out into the world to help establish places of learning, magic, understanding, and even offering their personal council to the up and coming rulers of so many fledgling lands. His adventurous and open minded spirit has swept the young generation of elves who look at him as a sterling role model for a new elven attitude of social and cultural expansion. “We see our young King, who is hardly in his late second century, riding out into the world and treating even Ga'vin like equals. We see his example of adventure and action over thought as a radical departure from the past, which might be just the thing we need to spark a new renaissance of creativity in our own people,” said one such youth when asked how he felt about this new era. Rather than keep themselves and their rich heritage so closed, this new attitude embraces the sharing of elven ideals and the encouragement for other peoples to adopt the systems and attitudes that have helped the elves excel the thousands of years.

Featured Focus - Sylvanni
Ki'tal Lor'sith, Foreign Correspondent - The Chronicles of Haven
“Come,” she said with a smile I have come to associate with the good cheer and light coyness of the traveling folk, “Tonight, everyone is family and we have much to celebrate.” This welcome and love of life is something that is at the core of the community minded Sylvanni. While many of the other peoples of the world found hard times after the Cataclysm, the Sylvanni have done what they have done for hundreds of years unchanged. They have connected far flung communities with their traveling caravans with news, trade goods, and a warmth that has often been in short supply elsewhere. Holding no lands and content with what they can carry with them, they treasure people over things, song and story over titles, and make anyone welcome who shares their adventurous spirit.

“We have everything we need, no?” Says my new 'sister' when I ask her what makes the Sylvanni so positive in their outlook in life. “We go where we wish, with nothing to hold us down. Family, song, and beauty is all we need. And also good wine. That you must have to bring out the best in life!”

She is more excited than usual as she explains that the Caravan of the Starlight Orchid is headed to the Great Gather. Every five years all of the diverse caravans gather for one hell of a party and trade fair. The folk of the various bloodlines and caravans are, for one full month, united under the banner of the Prince, their 'leader' such as they have. “Last Gather, we were graced with the presence of Uncle Simon. I hope we shall see him again. He is such a spirited dancer.” When I questioned her about this Uncle Simon, she simple smiled secretively. “Ah, but you are not Sylvanni, you would not understand.”

Perhaps not, but one thing I do understand; if forsaking all lands, titles, and ideas of hegemony is what makes this accepting and carefree people so happy, then perhaps I will seek a sponsor of my own and join them as family.

Mysterious Riddle found across all of Vanguard Alliance
By Liar Luris, scribe - The Chronicles of Haven
Twixt the rivers meeting three,
Where blooms the ivory cherry tree,
And like the sun in starlit sky,
Tears of gold that mountains cry.

Near stands the tower made of sand,
Born of beaches of a far off land.
White and green and crowned in silver
All surrounded by yonder river.

Held in hands of earth and stone,
Nestled beneath the Forgotten Throne,
A treasury fit for a mighty King,
Kept safe in the heart of a Faery Ring.

That is the cryptic and enticing script scrawled in every language and left in every town and village across the known civilized world. The question on everyone's minds... who may have left this mysterious and, admittedly compelling, challenge? Why have they shared this riddle, and what could it mean?

The search for answers, and one possible conclusion, has led to a treasure hunting craze. People from across the lands have all jumped on places they think a mysterious, and clearly monumental treasure might be secreted. Some scholars say there are references to myths of old and that whatever the source, it is obvious the answers must be found. This simple parchment has sparked treasure fever, many drawn into the dream of finding that great adventure that could change their fortunes forever.

Mysterious Orbs at the Summer Festival
By Josiah Mason, 2nd Scribe – The Chronicles of Haven

Several citizens attending Haven’s summer festival reported being struck by strange, fluid-filled orbs while walking down paths in Honorwood last night. The orbs burst upon impact, leaving the stunned festival-goers covered in a colorful, pleasant-smelling liquid.

“It was quite a shock,” reported local blacksmith Delvin Duggar. “I didn’t see nothin’ comin’ and then SPLASH! I was all wet! Kinda refreshin’, actually.”

Anyone with information about these orbs is asked to contact their local Messenger or Royal Cavalier.

Axebeak Ranch Riding Days
By Carmac Winterwater, Senior Scribe –The Chronicles of Haven
After a few break-ins from kids trying to play “chicken,” Gondowon T. Falbor, one of the head managers at Axebeack Ranch, has established a riding ring! Now kids and parents can come and ride the large birds all they want. “I love going roundandroundandround really faaast,” said one seven year old. “So fun…” said another visitor, “but it’s kinda weird to have feathers under my butt.” It does take a bit of getting used to, say the ranchers. Besides entertainment, the axebeaks are used to pull small carts, and are especially prized for their speed. Some have even been outfitted with armour for use as fighting mounts. “Though they do require a bit more training than horses,” says Gondowon.

The Hidden People show Themselves!
By Liar Luris, Scribe - The Chronicles of Haven
In a quiet part of Green Hollow a momentous occasion occurred with little pomp. A single member of Final Haven’s Doppelganger village walked through the town announcing who he was to shopkeepers and passersby. He only walked around the town once before walking into the woods, vanishing quite expertly. Still, this marks a significant development for the hidden people.

Lady Toritaka confirmed that man was indeed a member of the Doppelganger village. Isin Vancette, a local farmer, said “He was a very nondescript man. Came right up to me and introduced himself. Seemed pretty giddy doing it, like it was his first time talking to a stranger.”

An incident may have led to the sudden departure of the man. “My dogs were barking and this little fellow seemed a might upset. So I shook his hand, clapped him on the shoulder, and told him not to worry, they don’t bite that hard!” said Wilagan Lencrush, a popular blacksmith. “It was meant as a joke, but I think I startled him.”

There has been no news on whether or not this will become a more prevalent occurrence. We can only hope that these people of Final Haven continue this trend and become more widely known.

Unexplained bodes found near Fishing Village

The Royal Cavaliers are currently investigating two oddly dressed bodies found near the Fishing Village last moon. One of the two bodies was a Valkyn’Vi dressed in strange, form-fitting robes and apparently died as the result of a slashing wound to the torso.

The other body was dressed in intricate black leather armor and appeared to be burned to death. Signs of a larger struggle were reported on the scene. Any citizens possessing information that could assist the Royal Cavaliers are asked to contact their local Cavalier or send a message to the Cavalier Tower.

Funnies (answers at end of publication)
1. What did the ghost say to the bee?
2. What is invisible and smells like carrots?
3. What do you call a bear with no teeth?
4. What’s the best way to carve wood?
5. What does a vegan zombie eat?

Queen Fionna opens new wing of Haven’s Orphanage.

Citizens of Green Hollow celebrated with Queen Fionna as she opened a new wing of the Haven Orphanage for Displaced Children. Designed to provide additional rooms and services for the orphan population, Queen Fionna declared that this new wing would “allow for a better quality of life and give these wonderful children the space they need to grow”.

Though the number of orphans generated within Haven itself has diminished greatly in the past few years, the numbers within the Orphanage remain high. The Haven Orphanage, along with similar facilities In Dawnvale, have been accepting orphans from the surrounding territories in the aftermath of the extermination of the Red Tear.

Donations to the Haven Orphanage can be made via Minister Francis at Blackwatch.

Royals travel to Caledonia

The King and Queen recently returned from a week-long trip to the Kingdom of Caledonia in which they met with several members of the Caledonian nobility.

Queen Fionna and Sir Marcus Gideon spent several days with the Queen’s extended family while King Korrigan met with the Caledonian court. The King also stayed at least one night in an inn called “The Dragon’s Rest” located in the small community of Far Reach.

Members of the royal entourage reported that both the King and Queen declared the trip to be pleasant and successful. Minister of Finance Bartholomew “Barry” Francis and Lord Kaylen Chargeender also toured Caledonia during the Royal visit.

Proof of Ancient Dwarven Language Discovered!
By Ieram Allshead, Foreign Correspondent - The Chronicles of Haven
On the borders of Killashandra lies an entrance to the deep underground cities of the Dwarven Homelands. From this point, Nellie Duncan has spent the last three years delving deep to find proof of the long lost Dwarven Language.

Carved into a wall behind a collapsed blacksmith, she found the missing link she had been looking for. These missing runes, combined with years of collected tablets, headstones, and books have finally formed all the information she needed to positively identify the languages of the Dwarves! Most of the difficulty came from identifying a unique aspect of the Dwarven language. It was identified that different runes were used in different circumstances to say the same thing.

Further information on this can be found at the Killashandra branch of Brandybrook Academy.

Largest gathering of Flotilla in years
By Ki'tal Lor'sith, Foreign Correspondent - The Chronicles of Haven
Never was such a sight seen in living memory as the whole of the Corsair sea collective gathered their fleets for a grand flotilla. Ships from all parts of the known world were lashed together to form one massive floating bizar. Trade goods, spirits, and merriment were flowing freely as the many folks celebrated what seems to be a new age of optimism, stability, and expansion.

“For the first time we all feel like there's a world again. Many peoples have been reconnected and we've made anew from what we lost,” commented one boatswain.

“Long live the Vanguard,” shouted another man from high in the rigging of the Triumphant Return, plentiful ale sloshing over the rim of his tankard.

The sea born cerebration is expected to last one full month, so book your passage on one of the many transport ships and come join in the merriment!

Village of Dar’dakous founded near Korrigan’s Landing

With the assistance of Minister Duncan, Commander Mahto has secured property near Korrigan’s Landing for the creation of a new settlement. Listed in the registry as “Dar’dakous”, this new village has been declared a limited-access area by the Crown and is subject to special laws and considerations.

Citizens of Haven are advised that the residents of Dar’dakous will engage in a variety of cultural practices outside the norm for our Kingdom. Despite these practices, the residents there are Citizens of Haven as well and fall under the protection of the Crown like any other Havenite.

Break-In at Brandybrook Academy
By Carmac Winterwater, Senior Scribe –The Chronicles of Haven
A man attempting to steal several rare texts from Brandybrook’s libraries yesterday was caught by two professors before he could complete the task. Professor Corban Lawton and Julius Steel well both happened to be in the stacks late when they heard a noise. Professor Steelwell, armed with a book, hit the miscreant - a well know petty thief, Reginald Overlander- over the head as he was loading scrolls into a sack. “This man was obviously hired by the Inpracy,” Steelwell told authorities, though no proof of this has come from questioning Overlander. This comes on the heels of last week’s ‘Auction Scandal’ where Brandybrook bought a bizarre magical painting out from under a rival Inpiracy member, and the two got into a brawl that had to be broken up by the city watch. At the auction, Simon Torheel [Inpiracy] told crowds, “They [Brandybrook] put dangerous secrets on display! They let just anyone who wants study them!” The painting depicted three rabbits, two dogs, and a pig doing ballet, and supposedly gives mystical instructions for teaching pets to dance.

Valkin’Vi slaughtered in Silent War
By Ieram Allshead, Foreign Correspondent - The Chronicles of Haven
It was confirmed this week that the last High Oracle of the former Valkin'vi Circle lost their life in what some are now calling the 'Silent War'. This internal struggle among the highest levels of the Valkin'vi hierarchy seems to have gone mostly unknown and unnoticed by the majority of the Vanguard Alliance and a large number of the Valkin’Vi themselves.

Suryn’Lin Kale, a Valkin’Vi Seer, commented that, “I have noticed over the last three years a seeming block in my Sight beyond which I could not See. I can only assume that it was because those more gifted than I were affecting Fate in ways I am not able to See. I was too low a rank to have ever meet the former Circle in person, so the conflict has not really affected me at all. Life in my community goes on as it always has, though I know some folk have lost communication with some family more involved in the struggle.”

It seems that most did not even know of the power struggle that has left hundreds dead and many more uncertain as to what the future holds. For a people whose cultural identity has always been based on the certainty of Prophecy and Fate, this is a difficult time.

Corw’in’dar opens its doors to the World
By Ki'tal Lor'sith, Foreign Correspondent - The Chronicles of Haven
For the first time since its rediscovery, the lost city of Corw'in'dar threw open its mighty gates and welcomed the royal household. In contrast to the crystalline and natural beauty of fair Sylv'An'dar which has seen a renaissance of creativity and renewal, Corw'in'dar is an imposing city of obsidian and silver. Once hailed as the center of all Elven lore and magic, teams have been hard at work restoring the city for the better part of a decade. Smaller and less beautiful than the island capital, it is still a sight no mortal hand could craft.

When King An’wyr visited, he stated for all to hear, “It is our hope that Corw'in'dar becomes a place where peoples of any land can come to learn the magical and scholarly mastery of our ancient peoples. Secrets we worked so hard to safeguard available to all who visit. We are proud of the hard work of our people and look forward to the day when all might benefit from their legacy.”

Even now, households have been given leave to begin proper settlement of the city which promises to usher in a new era of growth for the proud elven nation.

Literacy Means More Readers for Haven Chronicles!
By Zee Zee Mandalay, Special Correspondent, The Chronicles of Haven
This Dark Month is the First Annual Literacy Month. Thanks to the construction of schools for both children and adults, there is an unprecedented number of readers within Haven. Also writers and boy do we hear from all of them. Thanks so much!
Students are always welcome within their walls. If you see someone staring at these pages with utter confusion in their eyes, maybe you should politely suggest they check the school out. No longer do they have to ask people to read the funnies to them, they can read it themselves. Empower your neighbors. Make this world a better place today!

Royal Navy Ship lost in engagement with Pirates

Commodore Zandron announced that a Royal Navy ship known as “The Sea Stalker” had been lost in action against a group of Pirates off the coast of the Corsair Isles. The battle involved several Royal Navy ships and resulted in the apprehension of two Pirate vessels as well as the destruction of four more.
“The Sea Stalker” was described as a square-rigged brig that had seen considerable action since its construction two years ago. Commodore Zandron reported that 24 of The Sea Stalker’s 32 crewmembers had been rescued by other Royal Navy vessels after the battle. The remaining 8 crew members are presumed dead and will be honored in a ceremony later this moon.

This marks the first time a Royal Navy vessel has been lost in combat since the commissioning of Commodore Zandron and Commander Mahto. King Korrigan mourned the loss of Haven sailors while expressing his utmost confidence in Haven’s Naval command.

Vanguard Circle holds special summit at Blackwatch.

Word has reached the Chronicle that several members of the Vanguard Circle arrived at Blackwatch last night and convened an emergency meeting of the Vanguard Alliance.

Though no information is has been released concerning the nature of this meeting, we have reliable reports that Lady Orien of Dawnvale, King Vaal of Killeshandra, Lord Roderick of Woodhold, King Anwyr of Silvan’dar and King Galen of Caledonia were in attendance. A notice of gate closure was issued from the Port Authority last evening, restricting public use of the Portal Network and fitting the pattern seen with other meetings of the Vanguard Circle. More information about this meeting will be made known as it becomes available.

Tipsy Traveler under new management, featuring new talent

The Tipsy Traveler Inn, long a centerpiece of activity in the kingdom, has been leased to Lord Kaylen Chargeender in a management agreement with King Korrigan.

Lord Chargeender will assume responsibilities for the day-to-day operations of the Traveler, which will continue to offer its lodging, food, drink, entertainment, messaging, crafting and mercantile services to the citizens of Haven.

While promising to expand the Traveler’s selection of Dwarven ales and bring new entertainment offerings to the people, Lord Chargeender reassured Traveler regulars that their favorite acts would continue to appear. “Sing along with Cirrus”, “Tyr’s Hour” and "The Angry Halfling’s Comedy Show” will remain on their current schedules for the foreseeable future.

Strange activities reported in the Wildlands

Royal Rangers have reported strange activities in the area known as the “Wildlands” over the past two moons.

A large swath of land whose proper ownership is still disputed, the Wildlands are currently patrolled by several members of the Vanguard Alliance. Recently, Royal Rangers have encountered strange creatures and magical phenomena while on their patrols. Other Alliance members have reported similarly strange occurrences, and teams from Brandybrook Academy have been dispatched to study the situation.
One Royal Ranger, speaking on the condition of anonymity, told the Chronicle that he’d seen “all sorts of oddness in those woods, not like anything I’ve seen before… and different from one moment to the next”. Citizens of the Haven are asked to avoid travel within the Wildlands until further notice.

CORRECTION: Commodore Zandron given improper title.
We would like to issue a correction concerning our previous story “Navy, Privateer Fleet conduct joint raid.” The Haven Chronicle mistakenly identified Commodore Zandron as “Captain Zandron”, failing to acknowledge his appointment as commander of the Royal Navy. Our apologies to Commodore Zandron for this oversight.

Obituaries
Sir Bartholomew passed away this evening at the age of 104. He is survived by his son, who, at the time of this publication The Chronicle did not know his name, and his lovely wife, Gerty. He died peacefully in his sleep following an evening celebrating what he thought was his birthday—no one had the heart to tell him they were just celebrating the fall harvest. His last word on Phanterra was “Bats!” though no bats were present at the time. May he rest in peace.

Rumors
Crime being at an all time low may be the result of an increase in criminal activity against criminals committing crimes, some criminologists believe.

Conspiracy theorists believe that the truth behind the mine collapse last month is being purposefully hidden from the populous. One such person who wishes to remain nameless stated: “What, you expect us to believe that everything is suddenly okay in the world? The first forty-three years of my life was filled with death, manglings, sorcery, and global devastation and now, what, simple accidents? I don’t think so. The truth is being kept from us and when we do see something, the truth is being erased from our brains. Next they’re going to tell me that the pain in my butt is simply from hemorrhoids. RIGHT!”

Ads
Brandybrook is featuring a traveling lecture series this month on the origins of corn. You won’t want to miss that.

The Haven Players will be putting on a production of Defenders of the Realm, the true life story of Haven’s finest warriors defeating Evil each Friday during Sailor’s Month

The Midnight Club is starting up. They will be meeting at midnight on the fourth Seventh Day of each odd month starting on the third month of this, the third year of peace. All wishing to celebrate Peace should attend.

Funnies Answers
1. Boo-bee
2. Rabbit Farts
3. A gummy bear
4. Whittle by whittle
5. Graaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaains