Not far, but outside of the borders of Haven.

Continue your adventures in Phanterra here! Want to gather a party to scout out that mineshaft full of undead? Want to figure out what the results wereof your destruction of the world-rotation device? Find out here!

Moderator: Admin

Abaddon
Town Member
Town Member

Not far, but outside of the borders of Haven.

Post by Abaddon »

***Anyone who wants to, may RP in this thread. **
The night is dark, and the constant stream of snow makes it nearly impossible to see for any traveller, but out in the darkness there is a cabin nestled in the woods. A small clean mountain stream runs by it, a source of fresh water. The cabin is clearly new, though the snow covers the thatch roof, the walls are made of fresh cut pine, unmarred with age. The chimney is crafted from hand cut stone, and a thin trail of smoke bubbles out of it.
The door to the cabin is black metal so dark it looks like you could just fall in and tumble off into the void. The windows are tiny, and shuttered, made of thick glass. The windows are small enough that no even a gnome could climb through. There is no proper porch, just snow and then cabin walls.
Inside, the cabin is lit by the central fire, as well as seven lanterns and seven large beeswax candles. It smells like vanilla, Cinnamon and dry smoke. A large pile of recently cut wood sits next to the the fires. A rough hewn hand made table,and two chairs are present, as well as two sleeping areas. The sleeping mats are made from well tanned animal skins, the fur carrying luxurious sheen, and rich purple sheets made from pre-cataclysm silk. On the table is a silver pot filled with tea, an herbal mix. Two silver cups sit on the hard wood top. In the corner, a long wooden staff with seven rings and ancient Valkyn’Vi Sigils is nestled in the corner.
A man sits, scribbling on parchment at the table, dressed in thick winter silks, in a traditional black and white checker pattern. His long black and white hair is tied into thick tangles, and he wears a familiar white mask, covered in old runes. He has stacks of parchment paper by him, along with an quill, and ink. Next to him, purple wax forms the seal of a spider. On his shoulder, a large black spider, watching the scribbling intently. The man seems armed with nothing more than an old rusted out dagger, and a satchel. One of his eyes is white, and the other black, and they twinkle in the firelight.
A woman in a purple robe sits next to him, long back hair and large sad eyes. As Abaddon finishes a document, she takes it and blows on it, to dry the ink so it won’t rub out or smear. Some bread and cheese sit on silver plates, untouched as the old man works.
“Yes, I know.” The old man says to no one. “I promised I would not return with out permission. But there are still things I can do to help.”
The woman sighs and shakes her head, knowing to whom he is speaking.
“There is plenty I can do from afar. My reach is long.” Abaddon says, and takes down another piece of parchment.
"I would only teach them Necromancy as part of a balanced breakfast."
Ashearth
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Post by Ashearth »

shortly after supper, Ashearth and his apprentice heads out into the night

"there is a man i want you to meet child, he is of your kin and i feel as though may be a great assset."

the two of them journey threw the night, the teacher letting his apprentice lead the way just a few steps ahead of him. so she can learn to track and move in the forest night. after what seems take most the night they find their way to a small cabin.

"go on and knock on the door young one."

the little girl timidly goes up and knocks than quickly comes back to her teacher
Francesco DeLemuerte
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Francesco DeLemuerte »

Not far behind Ashearth the old man Francheco can be seen following. His pace is not fast and he struggles to keep up with the two as they make their journey to the cabin. As the young girl knocks on the door Franchesco moves within a few feet of the entrance.

"It is a bit late to be taking children out to the woods. Who's home are you disturbing at this hour?"
Ashearth
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Post by Ashearth »

"why hello Francesco how pleasant it is to see you. what seems to be the problem, i seem to be within my rights. my ward has been to supper as the queen has ordered and it is my intention to get her back for breakfast in the morning. however being as you are such a noble man i have no problems telling you what i am doing this late of an hour. for some time i have been trying to research Valkyn'Vi and their history, so i can teach the girl. I've found out that i need to seek an oracle to get the child a prophecy, on top of that it seems as though it would be better if i found her some of her own kin to teach her some of the other traditions so that she can be seen an equal with her own kind.

so that answers what i am doing out in the middle of the forest in the middle of the night, might i ask what you are doing in the middle of the woods all by your self. i dare say that it isnt' the safest coarse of action, why you even strayed outside of the queens lands. now what would happen if some terrible creature or undead horde attacked the keep in your absence?"
Brey
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Brey »

A low chuckle sounded the entrance of a man just stepping out from behind a tree. Dressed in light grays, and white with a blue cloak that seemed to dance with the wind exposing the two swords at his sides, and dagger sheathed along the backside of his belt. He speaks almost in laughs as he approaches the small gathering outside of the cabin

"Francescos's presence would hardly be a deciding factor if there was in fact an attack on Haven in our absence. As far as all alone in the woods, no that wouldn't do at all haha, I followed him out here as he followed you. I wouldn't be surprised if someone popped out who had followed me to see why I was leaving alone into the woods, at this hour."

With a smirk Brey leans against the wall of the cabin waiting for whatever it was that had drawn them all out there
"The bigger the purse, the greater the fool..."
-Port City Didact saying
Rothek
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Rothek »

from his make shift hiding place, rothek watched the gathered crowd. not being the most subtle of creatures he had forgotten he had placed a large clawed hand upon the dead tree he had crouched behind. as he shifted himself his claws scraped down the tree and caused a loud scratching noise.
Rothek HowlingFang
Den-father of the Howling Fang tribe.
friend and ally of the dwarves of Killeshandra.
Goonter
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Goonter »

Drawn by the smell, the Guthrie wanders away from the keep to the cabin where the small group is gathered. He looks around at the group, clearly suspicious of each and every one of them.

Hearing what Brey had said, the Guthrie chimes in, "As a matter of fact, you were followed. But it is not you I am interested in. Rather, it is that deliciously sweet scent coming from this cozy cabin that really brought me here. I don't know what they're serving up in there, but I wouldn't recommend getting between me and pie. Just thought I'd give fair warning..."

The Guthrie's words trail off as he draws closer to the cabin so he can try to get a peek into one of the tiny windows.
The Wanderer
Abaddon
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Abaddon »

The sound of tumblers being thrown echo in front of the large black door. Finally the door opens and Abaddon stands in the light coming from the candles inside. The smell of vanilla and cinnamon fill the area.
"Well gentlemen. More than I invited but all welcome." Abaddon says stepping to the side so they could go in. "I think introductions are in order."
Francesco DeLemuerte
Town Member
Town Member

As the door opens revealing Abbadon the old knight takes a step back and puts his hand near his blade

"You are a fool Ashearth! This is no simple Valkin'Vi, it is Abbadon the betrayer. He is still under suspicion for his crimes back in haven and you brought the young girl here. Probably so you could both attempt to use some sort of black magic spell to corrupt her."
Abaddon
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Abaddon »

The man in the mask turns and move forward slowly. His hands are slighty up and his eyes are steady.
"You must be Francesco whom I know only by reputation. I would like to correct a few of your mistakes. First. I have never been accused of any crimes in Haven. The first time I've been here was last moon. The acts that I. Was accused of took place in far reach. Second and the one I take umbrage at is calling me a betrayor. To betray one must turn on those he gave his word to. None of those I killed were under my protection. Last dark magic is not on my list of accusations. Anyway all of you are welcome for tea."
Rothek
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Rothek »

:rothek was carefully watching the gathered crowd, and many question's came to his mind. who are they? what are they? are they friendly? are they hostile? rothek had never seen creatures like this before.
rothek chuffed in a low tone out of curiosity as looked around the group his yellow eyes caught sight of something. the tiny traveler from before! rothek got down on all fours and pressed himself to the ground trying to remain hidden. As he inched closer to the group he smelled the scent from the large building he had discovered earlier. it was coming from them, and goonter wasn't the only thing that was starting closer toward a scent.
Rothek HowlingFang
Den-father of the Howling Fang tribe.
friend and ally of the dwarves of Killeshandra.
Ashearth
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Post by Ashearth »

"why thank you for inviting us in, Francesco will you be joining us or would you rather not be seen in company of suspicious activities. I'll have you know i do not take kindly to being called a fool, and i would have you know it is wiser to choose your words better in the future. i speak to you with proper respect and especially when i am with my ward i would ask for the same. any complaints you have please seek me in private or bring me in to jail. if i commit a crime that i will go with you gladly."

turning to the rest of the crowd assembled

"it warms my heart to see so many people are concerned over my wellbeing. i thank you for your actions but i assure you that i am safe. however if you care to join us, as outr host had stated you are welcome. keep in mind this is his home and not the queens land, so i will have you respect him and his ways."

Ashearth motions to the door.

"go ahead apprentice, we will be inside in a moment."
Francesco DeLemuerte
Town Member
Town Member

Franchesco grumbles a little and moves his hand away from his blade

"Ah...I apologize. You were accused of crimes in Far Reach. However I stand by my other statements. You betrayed the trust of those around you by killing their friends and allies. Also just because you have not been formally charged with the crime of practicing black magic it does not make it less true. Though I am told my definition of dark magic is much different than that of my peers, I still hold to my views. You can try and use your Valkin'Vi word play as much as you like, but you are still a murderer and a fiend."

The armor clad man then looks to Ashearth

"You are defined by the company you choose to keep Ashearth. You are already someone new to these lands and if you choose to associate with a known vandal be warned, his misdeeds could become yours by association. If you do not take kindly to being called a fool a suggest you discontinue behaving as one."

With a slight bow Franchesco backs away a few steps from the cottage

"I will be waiting outside. Enjoy your tea."
Goonter
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Goonter »

Heartily accepting the invitation, Goonter steps up to Abaddon, "Thank you, Master Abaddon, tea would be great! I don't know if you remember me, but I am Goonter, and I used to play games at your House of Chance before it ceased to exist."
The Wanderer
Abaddon
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Abaddon »

"As you wish, But there is tea as well as Squirrel and Hare pies. I have a little bottled Graf, hard apple cider, as the case may be." Abaddon says and holds the door open. "Quickly before the cold creeps in."

Inside, a large silver pot, and few old wooden mugs sat about a freshly made pine table.

"If you get to too cold, we are only a knock away."