Protecting the Ancient Past

Continue your adventures in Phanterra here! Want to gather a party to scout out that mineshaft full of undead? Want to figure out what the results wereof your destruction of the world-rotation device? Find out here!

Moderator: Admin

Ordrak
New in Town
New in Town

Re: Protecting the Ancient Past

Post by Ordrak »

Odrak groans as they were spat forth from the portal, chewed up and discarded like the gristle from some giants meal. He looks down at himself and notes the raking claw marks over his body and growls an old orcish curse. But it's the complete drain of his essence that truly has him riled up. He moves to be healed with the others and grumbles. "Well that was pleasant. Going to take ages to replenish." Once healed of physical injuries he'd move to sit and wait with the others to begin recovering magically.
*OOG*Arcane Regeneration
Once everyone had sorted themselves and done their scouting bit and gotten a look around he'd be the last to rise not wanting to end his recovery a moment sooner than needed. "Hmm, if you have the lay of the land let us be off. After that ordeal I have an itch that begs for blood."
Nick
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Nick »

-As the adventurers move along through the forest following that dried-up creek more and more they see signs of what had happened recently. The Ga'Vin army had indeed been here, as evidenced by their paths throughout the forest. Keen eyes see footprints of contingents, and maybe even still remaining bits of ash from their passing.

The forest gives way though after maybe an hour and a half, uneventful. Or maybe that was thanks to the skill of those navigating. Before you is a large open plain, and beyond that the city of Gateway. Just as Nellie had predicted, it looks as though it had weathered a storm. Many buildings are in the process of being rebuilt. People of many different races can be seen working tirelessly to repair the damage of the Ga'Vin invasion.

It isn't long before your group is spotted by someone in the town, and perhaps not knowing who you are due to the distance an alarm is sounded. A bell is wrung in the town, and assembling on the side of Gateway towards you are a number of armed guards and mercenaries.-
"Seek the truth. Behold the truth. Reveal the truth. That is the law and the whole of the law."
-Pious Flea, Legion/Dani
Morgause
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Morgause »

Morgause is surprised by the tolling of the bell.

"Oh, wonderful. It looks like the citizens of Gateway have rolled out the red carpet to welcome us to their city. Why, they shouldn't have."

As the armed guards begin filling the streets, Morgause casually saunters to the back of the party, next to Odrak.

"Or perhaps they are here to 'scratch' that itch of yours?" The Seer laughs as she playfully nudges the orc magus.

Morgause then closes her cloak and begins to make some gestures with her fingertips from behind the fabric.

"But nonetheless, friend... whatever their intentions might be, I suggest that we prepare ourselves."

The Winter Witches fingers grow icy cold... [charging - Displace Time]
"I will love the light for it shows me the way, yet I will endure the darkness because it shows me the stars."

Lady Morgause - The Winter Witch
Daughter of the An'Irri & Oracle of the Weather Tradition
Chamberlain of the Guild of Seekers
Nellie Duncan
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Nellie Duncan »

Seeing the greeting they're about to get, Nellie grimaces. "Ahh, if everyone could please stop moving forward? We wouldn't want to appear too aggressive..." She pauses the advance of the party, and then lays her hammer down by her feet. Then she takes her surcoat off, buttons it up, and then picks up her hammer once more. Placing the neck of the surcoat over the head of her hammer, she then hefts it above her head with the embellished emblem of the Caretakers facing the oncoming mercenaries. "If anyone has some white cloth, waving it would be nice."
--Nellie Duncan
Minister of the Interior
Master Sage
Master Craftsman
Khorvalis
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Khorvalis »

Upon hearing Nellie's request, Khorvalis says some words in a long-forgotten tongue and reaches into his leather satchel [Resourcefulness]

"As you requested, my child..." the old druid's voice is calm and composed, he does not let slightest tinge of fear show as he magically retrieves from his satchel a branch with a white swath of cloth tied to its one end.

"I hope this will do," He says to Nellie as he begins to wave the flag above his head.
~Khorvalis~
Druid of the Redwind
Hierophant of the Circle of the Sun
Follower of the Light and Keeper of the Sacred Flame

"Nothing brings me more happiness than trying to help the most vulnerable people in society. It is a goal and an essential part of my life - a kind of destiny. Whoever is in distress can call on me. I will come running wherever they are."
Eli
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Eli »

Well I was implying the sense of urgency comes from hanging out with all of you, not saying I didn't like hanging out with all of you. It's this whole being in a hurry all the time.
-Eli (Full Elvish: Elaith Vonaduran Craulnober)

There once was a man named Eli,
A man who claimed he could not die.
But one thing makes him wail:
That's when there is no ALE!
Thus his tale: with no beer, he will cry.

(The dark haired, green eyed mage child has faded into the past leaving behind one not quite an adult, but clearly no longer a child. The warrior-mage mixture that he has become can only be described as a survivor. )
Nick
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Nick »

-The white flag has an immediate effect, the guards and mercenaries appearing to relax. Three of the them begin to make the trek towards the party, sheathing their weapons as they approach. The one in the middle, a human guard of Gateway halts once he is within speaking range of the party.-

"Please state your business here in Gateway," he says.

***OOG IF YOUR CHARACTER IS GOING TO THE NEW SETTING MESSAGE ME HERE OR ON FB ASAP!***
"Seek the truth. Behold the truth. Reveal the truth. That is the law and the whole of the law."
-Pious Flea, Legion/Dani
Eli
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Eli »

A white cloth would imply that I've ever used one... which I have not.

(The dark haired, green eyed mage child has faded into the past leaving behind one not quite an adult, but clearly no longer a child. The warrior-mage mixture that he has become can only be described as a survivor. )
Nellie Duncan
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Nellie Duncan »

Nellie grins at Eli's retort, even as she nods in thanks to Khorvalis.

As the guards approach, she lowers her hammer and puts her surcoat back on. Hearing the guardsman, she replies, "My name is Nellie Duncan. I was restoring some family ruins to the North of here before the war with the Gavin. My friends and I are passing through the city, on our way to slay a Doom Worm that had breached the walls of the ruins, and possibly deal with whoever is controlling it if it is being controlled and hopefully recover some objects that were taken from the ruins themselves. If you'd rather have us circle around the city to the path we need to take, we could do that instead of passing through."
--Nellie Duncan
Minister of the Interior
Master Sage
Master Craftsman
Morgause
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Morgause »

Morgause let's out a sigh of relief as the mercenaries seem to loosen up. Nonetheless, she keeps her spell charged and sufficiently hidden behind Odrak and the rest of the party.

When she hears Nellie suggest to the guards that they circle around Gateway and take a longer route to their desired path, Morgause sighs once more... not out of relief, but in utter disagreement.

She whispers through her teeth to her orc mage companion, "If I have to walk around this forsaken city, I swear I'm not going to be happy. My delicate feet cannot take much more of this trudging through the wilderness!"

The Seer then pokes her head from behind Odrak to address the guards of Gateway.

"But please kinds sirs," Morgause says in her most coy and feminine of voices. "We have already traveled so far and we are parched and exhausted. I'm sure it would be no trouble if we continued forward through your marvelous city and perhaps quench our thirst and sate our hunger at one of your lovely taverns in Gateway. We will be no trouble, our intentions are plain and genuine. We will soon be on our way."

She bats her eyelashes at the handsomest of the mercenaries. "I don't know if I, with my frail and delicate constitution, would be able to circumvent your city if we were not allowed to safely pass through your beautiful city. I fear I might faint of exhaustion if I were forced to do so. I beseech you, please grant my companions and I safe passage through."

Morgause smiles coyly, awaiting for an answer.
"I will love the light for it shows me the way, yet I will endure the darkness because it shows me the stars."

Lady Morgause - The Winter Witch
Daughter of the An'Irri & Oracle of the Weather Tradition
Chamberlain of the Guild of Seekers
Nick
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Nick »

-The guards listen as Nellie speaks, then the human looks to Morgause as she says her piece. He turns to his companions, one of which is a Dwarf who, after conversing begins running back towards the town. The human turns round once more to address the group.

"We have decided you will be permitted through the city. Please make your time brief, and only barter if you absolutely must. The bulk of our resources are going to repairing the city."

The man turns on his heels, and the remaining guard with him follows as they head back towards Gateway. The dwarf has already gotten back, and the line of mercenaries and guards has departed to help elsewhere. Save that dwarf and two others, who are standing at the edge of town, waiting for the party.-
-Pious Flea, Legion/Dani
Eli
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Eli »

Follows... looks back to see if anyone else is moving (two months later...)

Eli
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Eli »

A year and a half later /assumes we won! yeah.