Stories of Snowbringer

For your story and lore submissions
Mahto Snowbringer
Town Member
Town Member

Stories of Snowbringer

Post by Mahto Snowbringer »

Mahto's Love

Acting Commodore Mahto Snowbringer stood on a hill near Dar’dakous. The small tribal village had grown in the past two years. An effective wooden spike wall surrounded the village which nestled itself in a group of hills. Two large flags stood on each side of the gate, the flag of Haven and the newly made emblem of Mahto’s tribe. It depicted a phoenix rising from the flames and roaring to the heavens. The phoenix’s body was covered in detailed tribal tattoos, similar to the ones Mahto now bore on his arms. He smiled, Gondowon had done a good job with the emblem. Mahto seemed to owe him a lot these days. He looked down at the village square where Christian taught some of the younger Ga’vin the common writing, a gift Mahto had not been given when he was young. Christian got along well with kids, maybe because he acted like one himself. Christian hadn’t changed much since they had met so long ago. Mahto envied him in that, so much had changed for Mahto in the last twelve years. He looked to the west where he could barely make out the taller spires in the port town of Korrigan’s Landing. Mahto sighed, his time in the village was limited and he knew he would have to ride to the city soon. But, Dreg and Riddle handled his affairs while he visited with his kinsmen. Something he wished he had more time for. He decided that maybe even he needed a break, he took off the black hat that he had been wearing and hung it on a tree branch. The hat had always belonged to Zandron, but he thought he must turn it over to Mahto when Zandron took a leave of absence from the navy. That and the magical sword that came with the Commodore position, which now hung from Mahto’s back. That too he took off and leaned against the tree, along with that his shield and own sword. When was the last time he hadn’t felt the cold steel against his leg? Even taking off a piece of his equipment felt like taking the world off his back. He slumped against the tree till he sat, his legs extended. He regarded the village with pride, observing the peaceful scene that he knew was only possible because of the benevolence of Haven. Mahto closed his eyes and a face came to mind, one he wished he could forget.

It was a scene from many years ago. She was smiling at him. Her blue eyes were shining as she laughed and turned away, her brown hair flipping behind her back. She loved to pull at his heart strings like that. It had been a time where he thought he couldn’t be happier. A year after he had left the Redwind to return to his tribe, he had slew the Bear goddess that plagued his people and he was finally honored. He was no longer the demon Snowbringer but the hero Mahto. He gained his first name, finally, through his honorable deeds. She had taken an interest in him. Granted, as did the other girls his age, but there was something about her that spoke to him. She wasn’t innocent, he knew that, maybe that is what enticed him. During her spiritual journey she had made some mistakes, her smiled hided hurt he wanted to mend. She told him he wouldn’t understand, and she would just end up hurting him, bogging him down with her pain. But, it wasn’t like he was innocent either, he had spent the past four years as a pirate, with all benefits and issues. He had fought to kill. He had physically loved women at a much younger age than most of his tribe, you had to keep up appearances as Captain of the Redwind, which included spending too much time in vile places. Though he spent years longer time on his journey than the other men of his tribe he knew the world better than any of them could have. He fought with more ferocity than men who had seen war before the cataclysm. So why wouldn’t she accept him? He loved her. He admitted that now more than he had then. She never truly admitted her love, she skirted around the detail and would laugh at his frustration, she was unbearable at times. It wasn’t competition from the other young men of the tribe that kept her away, while many were interested in her physically his love went past that. If only he had truly tried to win her favor. It seemed they would spend time alone together in the forests near his tribe’s old village. They would get very close and she would whisper her true thoughts in his ear and his heart burst with joy. He would want to kiss her but his heart held him back, he didn’t want to dishonor her or make her afraid of him. She told him he was her favorite in every way and how fond she was of him, then laugh and ask him how his day was, ignoring whatever serious comment she had made. He would tell her that he felt for her, but he never told her that he loved her, too afraid of her reaction.

A year past in the tribe, he became a trusted companion of the Chieftain, and even won the affections of his daughter. But, Mahto could not leave behind the girl that he had loved for so long. His Chieftain made himself clear that he wished Mahto as a successor, but would lose favor if he didn’t show interest marrying his daughter. Mahto admitted that that wasn’t an awful fate, she was a pretty girl and he could see himself being happy with her. That’s when Mahto decided he would seek out the closest thing he had for a father. Mahto traveled to Haven for the first time to find Zandron.

He carried his shield on his back as he walked out of the village, his journey was no secret, but the village did not bid him goodbye as they saw the deepest thought etched on Mahto’s burned face. She stopped him just as he walked through the gate.
“Mahto!” She yelled out from behind him. He turned, a smile shown on his face, a smile that would not be repeated anytime soon.
“What is it woman?” He joked, smiling even broader now. She ran up to him and embraced him tightly, even she knew why he had to leave. Suddenly he felt the urge to tell her the truth. He held his tongue again, she knew his true feeling for she could feel his heartbeat against her cheek as she embraced him. Mahto reached his big arms and gave her a mighty bear hug. She whispered something into his chest which he couldn’t hear. He leaned down and inquired what she had said. Their faces close together she whispered:
“I…” She stopped to think, making sure she chose her words correctly. His heart was pounding loud in anticipation of what she might finally admit. She then rushed out the words she always did: “I’m just so very fond of you Mahto.” His heart slowed, did she not understand she was at risk of losing him to another? “I hope you make the right choice and marry the Chief’s daughter, you can’t be hung up on me forever, you know?” Maho stared blankly at her, tears welled in her eyes. She considered herself the martyr. She backed away from him. “You should be chief someday, you’re the best man here and we all know it. Any girl would be blessed to have you.” She wiped something from her face quickly and looked up at the sky. “Is it raining? I think I just felt something.” As if the drop of water on her face had been from Father Sky and not her own blue eyes. Mahto’s face set into a frown. The mothers were right to tell their children to not make faces like that, for they might freeze that way, for Mahto’s face would never change from that frown again.
“If that is the way you feel.”
He declared as he turned to walk away. She started to protest, but she knew her words would just make him sadder. She watched him walk away for the last time.

It was just a month that he had been gone.

He had made a decision as he reached the field where his village lay, the great forest shaded it from view, but even then he could see the smoke that raised from his home. He ran there, faster than he had ever run before. There was nothing he could have done, his crew mates reminded him of that later, but he did not believe it. His tribe lay dead throughout the village but only one body concerned him. He found her in the doorway of his tent, as if she ran to seek protection from someone who was not there to help. He held her body in anguish and he cried toward the heavens. He screamed in agony as if his soul had been ripped from his body through some cruel and perverse magic. He reached to hold her hand and found the note, hastily scribbled with charcoal. He recognized his name at the top, but his illiterateness stopped him from reading what seemed like a short message. He always kept the note on him, but never had it translated for fear of disappointment.

His cry had attracted some attackers left behind from the main horde of murderers that had struck his tribe. He rose slowly as he heard them approach his hand tightened around the sword that seemed limp next to his body. The three bandits snickered at what seemed like easy prey. They would know agony. He looked down at her blue eyes. Then turned toward the attackers, his face grim. To this day he hadn’t killed anyone so brutally.

Under the tree on the hill overlooking Dar’dakous Mahto Snowbringer’s face was wet with tears of past shadows. He held back the agony he wished to put to voice so not to alert the young Ga’vin to his pain. He gripped his burnt face tightly in his hands and he didn’t notice Christian in front of him on the hill. Christian said some bullshit about love and faith. Mahto wished he cared more for Christian’s immature wisdom. He merely reached into his pocket and handed Christian a crumpled piece of parchment.
“Read it…out loud.” Mahto sobbed, he could not live in mystery any longer.
Christian looked down at the parchment spoke, his usual tenor was serious and thoughtful:

“I always meant to say I loved you.”
Last edited by Mahto Snowbringer on Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mahto Snowbringer:
Commodore of Haven's Royal Navy
Commandant of Haven's Marine Force
Leader of The Savage Phoenix Tribe and their village of Dar’dakous
Captain of "The Chimera"

“Fortune Favors the Brave."
Mahto Snowbringer
Town Member
Town Member

Re: Stories of Snowbringer

The Name “Mahto” Part One

“Is this where the bear’s glade is?” Snowbringer inquired to the older ga’vin. They looked upon a wall of large trees, with only one apparent entrance.

“Aye, when we send our hunters through the opening the goddess gets the upper hand. Her fortress is practically impregnable…and I don’t care what you say, un-burnt, you won’t be able to do anything about it!” The old Ga’vin beast hunter looked to his side to find that the young Snowbringer had gone. “Damn you devil, shoulda never let you back in the village…” He grumbled.
Snowbringer was too far away to listen, he was sprinting toward a nearby tree, running up the trunk he jumped to one of the limbs and lifted himself up. He scampered up the remaining tree branches so he could see the branches of the tall wall-like trees of the bear “goddess’” glade. He didn’t believe she was a goddess, just a dire bear the bear beast men used as a battle cry against his tribe. He strode forward on a long branch and jumped to the nearest wall-wood tree, “like jumping from my ship’s riggings to another’s” he thought as he landed on the opposite branch.
He looked down on the glade. There was no doubt it was beautiful, but the blood soaked ground did little for the aesthetic value of the area. It was a merely an arena for Snowbringer, and the bear’s blood would soak the ground just like the one’s she devoured.

Not stopping to plan his attack he dropped down branch by branch until he hit the ground; awakening the bear from her slumber. He ripped his captain’s cutlass out of his scabbard and faced the bear head on. The bear rose and gave Snowbringer view of her full size. He had to admit, she was huge, bigger than any bear he’d ever seen. But, it wasn’t until she spoke that he grew afraid:

“The Puihi send an un-burnt to defeat me?” The beast roared, its maw opened wide to project the words she spat at Snowbringer. “They’ve sent so many against me! But, I’ve beat back all of them. Do you think a child could defeat one such as me, a goddess?” The bear roared in laughter at the young ga’vin, who stood there with a small smirk on his face, concealing his doubt and fear.

“I do not believe you are a deity.” He muttered he eyes set on the bear’s massive teeth. The bear stopped laughing and lowered her head to look Snowbringer in the eyes. He continued in his deadpan tone, “If you were, you would have already destroyed my tribe yourself, not used the beast men to achieve your goals.”

“You are smarter than the others.” The bear growled through gritted teeth. “But, you are incorrect, I am a goddess, and you will regret being so doubtful when I am done with you!” The she-bear lunged at Snowbringer, who managed to spin out of the way, slicing his cutlass at the bear’s snout. A spirt of blood splashed against Snowbringer’s body and face. He slammed his vambrace plated left arm into the wound, grabbing and ripping best he could. He jumped back holding a chunk of her snout in his hand. He smiled:

“God’s don’t’ bleed bitch.” He threw the flesh on the ground in front of him challenging the beast to attack. Goading her on, just as he wished, she charged at him slamming her head into his chest before he could react. He stumbled back, rolling into a crouched position, he slashed out with his blade slicing the tongue in the bear’s mighty maw, which had been poised to snap on Snowbringer. In pain the “goddess” reared back, her roaring filled the forest around them. Her blood trickled out of her mouth when she whimpered in pain. He took the moment to strike, aiming for her head again. But, the bear was quicker than Snowbringer had anticipated her, ramming her body into his he slammed back into the wall of trees behind them. His cutlass lay at the ground in front of him. With one step of the beast’s giant paw the cutlass shattered. Snowbringer groaned, not out of pain, but of the fact that that sword had been his only memento from his time on the Redwind; Zandron would be angry. He thought he would rather face two giant bears then the old captain when he was angry. Snowbringer quickly shook the thoughts out of his head as he stood up to face the beast again. The she-bear, even though her muzzle was covered in blood snickered at the boy.

“You have no defense now, young one, even the old hunter watching will not help you.” Snowbringer looked to the glade entrance. In the distance the hunter took watching, just where Snowbringer had left him. The old ga’vin was not likely to attack, fear of the bear and hatred for the boy held him in place. Snowbringer…a devil among his people. Would he always be remembered as such?

Snowbringer felt a burning pain on his torso, his head snapped back to meet the giant eyes of the beat straight in front of him. His shirt was in tatters and his skin torn, she had taken his moment of distraction to strike out with her claw. Snowbringer stumbled back. He was defenseless and alone. The bear grabbed Snowbringer’s left arm in her giant maw, smashing through metal armor, skin, and bone; her iron teeth clamped down on Snowbringer’s arm. His scream pierced the air and the glade echoed the sounds of his pain back at him. Wrenching the muscles in her neck she threw him toward the bone pile on the far side on the glade. He flew through the air and rolled into the pile of remains. Would he become another one of the dead carcasses? Just food for a fake goddess. The pounding of her paws was the only thing that registered in Snowbringer’s mind as she came to finish her foe.

“You have lost child.”

She opened her mouth wide to devour him.

To be continued…
Mahto Snowbringer:
Captain of "The Chimera"

Mahto Snowbringer
Town Member
Town Member

The Name; “Mahto” Part 2

The aged hunter ran back into the village, sure of Snowbringer’s failure against the bear goddess. He stopped his way up to a circular area where the tribe’s shamans, elders, and influential people sat. Slumping in his seat in the council he took a moment to regain his breath. His speed and endurance had lessened in the years of late. When he could breathe normally again he croaked out the news:
“The unburnt, Snowbringer, has failed his boast. The great bear devours him as we speak.” The elders grumbled and debated amongst themselves for a moment. Until one who sat in a seat by himself spoke louder than the rest.
“This news saddens me, Snowbringer always had a talent for combat, and I thought the experience gained in his...interesting...spiritual journey would put him up to the challenge.” The one who spoke wore a great crown of feathers, indicating his rank among the tribe. “It is unfortunate he did not undergo the rite of manhood before he died.” Some of the elders murmured in disagreement to their chieftain’s opinion.
“I say this is a blessing, we sent a devil in to fight a demon-goddess. Either way we are spared of having to deal with one of them.” One of the younger men muttered. The chief turned his gaze on to the younger man.
“We are not here to stomp on the death of one of our own, Rasil Waterfinder.”
“You neglect to admit, Chieftain, he was NOT one of our own. This council did not consider the achievements of his journey, which took two more years than any other child’s. And don’t let it memory fade of the night he was born, that snow storm killed many of our tribe's people including his own parents! Just like any other day of birth, it was an omen, an omen to be feared. He has always be a devil among our people, and we were right to teach our children to believe so! Now he is gone, and we have nothing to fear.” The chief furrowed his brow in anger, he thought about many reactions to Rasil’s clear cruelty, but he judged the climate around him and as he cooled himself down he noticed that he had very little allies in defense of the young one. In truth, he did not know why he wanted Snowbringer to succeed so badly. He only wished things had gone differently…

All Snowbringer could hear was the pounding of his own heart and the heavy feet of the giant bear. His right hand clawed for a weapon that wasn’t there. The bear was taunting him just as he found what he was looking for. Amongst the pile of bones was an antler of a stag, no doubt killed by the goddess. She opened her mighty jaw to devour him, and just as she closed her mouth Snowbringer brought up the antler, jabbing the bone points into the roof of her mouth. The she-bear roared in defiances as he ripped out his newfound weapon. She snapped her mouth shut just inches from him. He planted his foot on her great head and jumped up her mighty back. He twisted around and jabbed the antler points into her flesh, as she reared up in pain the claw-like weapon slide down her body with Snowbringer, ripping more deep gashes in her flesh. Snowbringer stumbled as he hit the ground. In front of him the bear lay, unmoving except for the slight inhales and exhales that must cause her body so much pain. He managed to smirk down on the beast,
“So, what was that about being a god again? Because I don’t see an immortal in front of me.”
No response came from the goddess. “I was hoping to find out what you were...seems like I’ll just put you out of your misery now.” He raised the antler above his head ready to make the final blow.
“Wait!” A female voice yelled from the opposite side of the glade. Snowbringer looked up to find himself face to face with a translucent young Ga’vin, tears were streaming down her ghostly face. “My body will die soon enough, please don’t put me through more pain!” She cried more, falling down to her knees to get closer to the bear’s carcass. He stared at her in silence as she wept over her life force being sapped away.
“Tell me who you are.” He muttered grimly looking at the bloody scene. Through her sobs she managed to croak out an explanation.
“My...my name was Moira..I was like you once. A young one trying to prove her honor.” She paused a moment to suck in her breath and calm herself. She slowly stood and looked at him with fire in her eyes, looking more and more like the bear he just slew. “I wanted to be powerful. More powerful than any of the Puihi who put me down my entire life. They named me Wildfire, after the great burning that destroyed our fields. I was shuned, called a witch for the curse my birth brought to our people. So I became one…” Snowbringer’s outlook changed. The story was familiar. They called him devil, and her witch, now the two had come to a head either way the Puihi had gotten rid of an enemy. “I practiced my arts in this grove!” She held her arms out wide and paced around in a circle. “It has always been my home. When I died originally I used my great power to become the bear goddess...and this time I would actually destroy the people who shunned me. Have you truly never wanted to destroy them unburnt?” They stood their a moment in silence.
“No.” He uttered. They stood a minute again, not even the air moving around them. “I rise to prove them wrong. I work to make them understand that an omen at birth doesn’t mean the person will be evil. Sometimes what the shamans tell us...isn’t true. I am Snowbringer, I am not destined to be a devil, I will be an honor bound warrior. Nothing else.” She looked at him, mouth agape.
“You are wrong, Snowbringer, we are fated. I terrorized the Puihi...and someday you will lead to their end. I have seen it…” The ghost faded away leaving Snowbringer alone to contemplate her words.

To be continued...again...
Mahto Snowbringer:
Captain of "The Chimera"

Mahto Snowbringer
Town Member
Town Member

The Name; “Mahto” Part 3

The Puihi village was silent, but Chieftain Groundbreaker was out in the forests with his two most trusted protectors. One was Tedar Sunnyday a huge ga’vin with a hammer to match, he was the leader of what fighting force the Puihi had, and an advocate of Snowbringer’s fighting skills. The other was a tall woman named Lissanna Forestfire who had no official title in the tribe other than hunter and friend to the Chieftain, but he wouldn't have anyone else with him on this private journey. Forestfire moved ahead of the group, she was the one who knew where the Bear’s glade was. They walked in absolute silence, Groundbreaker had already spelled out their purpose and they had all agreed to keep their Chief’s secret, to give Snowbringer a proper burial. The plan would be Tedar would distract the beast while the other two would find and drag Snowbringer’s body to safety, if they failed they would all die. But, Chieftain Groundbreaker was strong in his convictions and would not see Snowbringer’s body forgotten like that. In front of the group the high trees rose and the tunnel into the glade was pitch black, their torches didn't help them much. But Groundbreaker nodded and drew a long sword from his belt, the sword was made from dark steel and the handle wrapped in blue dyed leather, it was obviously of well craft and, judging by how the Chieftain held it, a precious artifact. The others drew their weapons and creept slowly into the glade.
Tedar entered the glade first and stopped short at the sight, the other two ga’vin had a similar reaction. The bear was there, but not growling over the lifeless body of Snowbringer like they had imagined. In fact, it was the opposite. There the bear was, her corpse had long since bled out and sitting calmly on top of her was Snowbringer, granted looking worse for wear. His arm was mangled and his chest was bleeding profusely. If he was in pain, he didn't look it, he just sat there contemplatively until the three approached. He looked up at them, he smiled slightly, before falling off the bear, fainting.
“Tedar!” Groundbreaker cried, the message didn’t even need to be said. The large ga’vin rushed around the corpse dropping his hammer in the process. He hovered his hands over the boy for a moment before they glowed with light, before their eyes the boy’s wounds started to close. Forestfire put her hand on Tedar’s shoulder,
“Don’t seal the wounds, just stabilize the boy.” She whispered, not sure of why. “The people are going to want to see his struggle, make him ga’vin, not a greater of two evils...Besides I’m sure he’ll like having the battle scars later.” Tedar nodded and finished his healing. Snowbringer awoke to see the three over him.
“Chieftain…” He tried to say the other’s names but his words were replaced with coughing. Blood trickled down his chin and down to his chest, but it didn’t stop him from trying to speak. “She said…” there were more short bursts of coughing “our doom, it would be my fault!” The three elder ga’vin looked down on Snowbringer with confusion as his words descended into fits of coughing and crying.
“He’s feverish, no doubt a dark spell.” Forestfire muttered, “We should not stay the night here, this land is cursed by the blood of the demon goddess…”
“Ever superstitious Lissanna, the bear’s reign is over, our protector has come at last.” Tedar said smiling at the boy who was still moaning of his destiny in a fevered pain. The two turned to their Chieftain on the next step in their journey. Groundbreaker sat in thought for a moment, the lines in his face were deep in his contemplation.
He jumped into action, grabbing Snowbringer by what was left of his shirt and pulling him close.
“You can stop your rambling, you can awaken from this dark slumber and bring this carcass back to our village. If you do you can throw off the shackles that the tribe has put on you, and if any speak against you, you can defeat them like all odds you have defeated in the past. You can grow to be a hero of our people, you can overshadow any and all members of our tribe. You can be a true ga’vin...or you can lay here in a pool of your own blood and tears, moaning to the universe about a future that an insane demon whispered into your ears to make you doubt yourself, and you’ll die, an outcast and a devil to the Puihi whose greatest accomplishment in life is being a pirate. Which future do you want?” He dropped Snowbringer back to the ground and stood up to full height, “In the morning I expect to leave my tent and see the bear’s body displayed in the village. Then, you will receive your name...and become a man.” He swiftly turned around and marched out of the glade. The other two held back for a moment, but then slowly followed their chieftain. Snowbringer was left alone, propped up against the dead body of the enemy he had just slain, in silence.

The night moved on as the young man contemplated his own fate, the fever visions told him to stay where he was, but he always remembered Chieftain Groundbreakers remarks. Before the sun rose he did, out of his own self pity and blood. Grabbing his makeshift weapon he stood over his kill. He raised the bloody antler and sunk the spikes of the boney weapon into the bear’s neck and with all his might began to pull with his good arm. Slowly but surely he dragged the massive carcass out of the glade, through the forest, and, finally, into the village. He was more tired than he had ever been, but he mustered up the strength to exclaim as the red sun rose over the ga’vin village.
“Here me Puihi!” He sucked in a large breath before continuing on, “I am Snowbringer! Child of no man, sailor of the great seas, master of the Redwind, and the slayer of the bear goddess! I return from my spiritual journey triumphant, I have achieved more than any Puihi in the last century. So come, judge me, and give me my true name.”
By the end of his speech the ga’vin had come out of their huts and tents. Most of them stood in awe of the giant animal’s body. The village was in silence. Snowbringer did his best to stand tall, but his pain was almost too much to straighten his spine.
And then the Chieftain came from his hut, and all the eyes of the village moved from Snowbringer to Groundbreaker.
“Very well, Snowbringer, I approve of your conquest.” The Chieftain smiled slightly, “the wise men of the tribe will meet and reevaluate your spiritual journey.” He walked towards the back side of the village to the council’s meeting place, slowly the other members of the council followed. The healers of the village rushed to Snowbringer as soon as the wise men had left.

Snowbringer didn’t really pay attention as the healer’s cast their spells and bandaged him up. In anticipation he waited for the elders to return. It seemed like they took longer than they should have, but Snowbringer never became privy to the debates that had occurred out of earshot of the village.

It had been a few hours when the Chieftain and the elders came back to the village square where the town of ga’vin sat anxiously in wait. The regular town person was in agreement, Snowbringer had saved them all, thanks to his efforts and bravery their tribe would flourish...but the elders were not so easily swayed. They stood there with faced grim, the naming was an important event, for afterwards the Puihi would undergo the secret ritual of flame and become an adult.
The village became silent and Groundbreaker’s low voice boomed across the Puihi’s village.
“Snowbringer, step forward.” Snowbringer did as he asked, awaiting the judgment of his elders, “we have judged you, Snowbringer...sixteen years ago you were born to our tribe, you had no father, and your mother passed in the blizzard that welcomed your birth...so did many others. And so, the shaman’s named you Snowbringer, they considered you cursed. And so for all these years you have been treated like an outsider. But, here you stand, you have achieved something that no other Puihi could. You’ve slain the greatest enemy of our generation. And here you stand, you wish for one thing; to be a true Puihi…” The village was silent, “and so it shall be! This council of wise men and elders has decided that will be a part of this tribe. And so we present you with your given name.” Groundbreaker stepped down from platform where he had been standing, he began to walk slowly toward Snowbringer. “As is our tradition we will name you from a word in our ancient language. And so...I name you ‘Mahto’ The Great Bear.” Groundbreaker reached the newly named man, and held out his arm, Mahto grasped it in gratitude. Snowbringer’s eyes burned with passion and excitement and he smiled his last boyish grin:

“Mahto Snowbringer...I will honor it, from now till I die.”

The End

Note: for all those who took the time to read these: Thanks so much, I really appreciate it.
Mahto Snowbringer:
Captain of "The Chimera"