Cheap Weapons, with little effort...

What is more important in a weapon?

Functional action. (Weight, feel, flex)
67%
Price
7%
Look and esthetic value (Coolness, period accuracy, unique qualities)
27%

Total votes: 15
Onimaster
Town Member
Town Member

Cheap Weapons, with little effort...

Post by Onimaster »

Hey Guys,

I was looking online for ax ideas and Travis found a good site for foam weapons that seem effective for people not interested in making their own. They are simple, functional, and cheap. Thought I'd pass it on.

http://www.edhellen.com/index.htm
Vaal Draconus,
Dwarven King
Survivor of the Dreaming
& Champion of Life.

or

Nikolai Petrov,
Traveling Cossack Sage
WayneO42
GM

Post by WayneO42 »

You may want to talk to some people on the boards here and see if they will make them for cheaper. I know they are safe but I have never been a fan of the Amtgard Axes. I love Amtgard shields though.
Wayne O
The Game Master Lite
Frag the weak, Hurdle the dead!
Onimaster
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Onimaster »

Ehh, I make my own. I just know some people were asking where to get such things.

Yeah, I agree about the axes seeming not quite my taste, and I think they seem more simplistic than I care for... But I can understand that from a possition of mass production standpoint, and they do seem to have clean lines and quality manufactoring.

I'd love to hear your take on why their axes fall short Wayne. And, I would only use a padded Shield like theirs if we were allowed to sheild bash enemies. As the rules are it just adds extra weight.
Vaal Draconus,
Dwarven King
Survivor of the Dreaming
& Champion of Life.

or

Nikolai Petrov,
Traveling Cossack Sage
WayneO42
GM

Post by WayneO42 »

Onimaster wrote:
Yeah, I agree about the axes seeming not quite my taste, and I think they seem more simplistic than I care for... But I can understand that from a possition of mass production standpoint
Actually, their axes are made the way they are to adhere to Amtgard and Dagohir rules. They use full contact sparing including head hits. I dont think their axes, and other weapons for that matter, fall short in construction or Safety. They are probably the safest weapons out there but I think they fall short in asthetics. I just dont like the way they look. They look like sports equipment which is exactly what they are.
Onimaster wrote: And, I would only use a padded Shield like theirs if we were allowed to sheild bash enemies. As the rules are it just adds extra weight.
I like the padding because no matter where you go, you have a comfy seat :) You can cut back the weight by using an ABS plastic as the base instead of wood :)
Wayne O
The Game Master Lite
Onimaster
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Onimaster »

Ohh, I make my own stuff... I put that up for others not as crafty as I and others.

Ah, I am not a Larper so I know little about the other groups out there (I know a little about SCA, but not much).

I totally agree with you on the sports equipment feel with their stuff.

And, oh yes, that is a big bonus to a padded sheild. The compfy seat! (first event I used one as a pillow) Not to surprised that coming from Mr. Bad-back. :)

Yeah we use a massonite 'hardboard' rather than real wood for our shields (Ryan's design). Works REALLY well I think.

LOL. Funniest thing though... I show my shield and everyone says how light it is for it's size (Blondie too). I take the same item to non-final haven people and they always say, "Man that's heavy!" So I guess it's a matter of taste.
Vaal Draconus,
Dwarven King
Survivor of the Dreaming
& Champion of Life.

or

Nikolai Petrov,
Traveling Cossack Sage
Wyrmwrath
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Wyrmwrath »

The Poll above left safety off the list
Grand High Chancellor of ROBUST UNPLEASANTNESS
...and the 11th commandment is:

"The stupid shall be punished!"
WayneO42
GM

Post by WayneO42 »

Brian,

Do you have a good source for sheet foam? I used to go to the Foam Factory but I dont live anywhere near there now and I dont think they do mail order.
Wayne O
The Game Master Lite
Onimaster
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Onimaster »

Wyrmwrath wrote:The Poll above left safety off the list
That's because in my book safety isn't optional.
Vaal Draconus,
Dwarven King
Survivor of the Dreaming
& Champion of Life.

or

Nikolai Petrov,
Traveling Cossack Sage
Onimaster
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Onimaster »

WayneO42 wrote:Brian,

Do you have a good source for sheet foam? I used to go to the Foam Factory but I dont live anywhere near there now and I dont think they do mail order.
I use camp foam from Wal-Mart, but here's a site I found:

http://www.foambymail.com/Polyethylene.html
Vaal Draconus,
Dwarven King
Survivor of the Dreaming
& Champion of Life.

or

Nikolai Petrov,
Traveling Cossack Sage
WayneO42
GM

Post by WayneO42 »

Hey thanks for the link.
Wayne O
The Game Master Lite
Neshca
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Neshca »

I make all kind of weapons, shield, and armor when I have teh supplies. I have athree week lay off and if someone needs something made pm I will work out a price.
And what is he greatly thought , he nobly dared.
by Homer
Onimaster
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Onimaster »

That reminds me... Last event some of you guys asked me about making you swords... I remember Vince, Blondie,... and some others. Drop me a PM sometime.
Vaal Draconus,
Dwarven King
Survivor of the Dreaming
& Champion of Life.

or

Nikolai Petrov,
Traveling Cossack Sage
Wyrmwrath
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Wyrmwrath »

I have found the sheet foam from the Foam Factory is superior to the "camp" foam designed to be used under sleeping bags and such. It holds water less, weighs less, can be found in varying thickness', cuts smoother on the band saw, holds up better to the rigors of being hot glued or cemented, takes to duct tape better, lasts longer(although this will be almost unnoticeable since they both last a dozen years or so), and works MUCH better for using with a latex covering.
Grand High Chancellor of ROBUST UNPLEASANTNESS
...and the 11th commandment is:

"The stupid shall be punished!"
Onimaster
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Onimaster »

Good to know. The main reason I use it is because I was too impatient to wait for the stuff to get here in the mail when I could just jump in the car and go get some. ;) And, I managed to sneek an extra roll in my Dad's cart while I was with him a while back.
Vaal Draconus,
Dwarven King
Survivor of the Dreaming
& Champion of Life.

or

Nikolai Petrov,
Traveling Cossack Sage
Midnight
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Midnight »

Yeah we use a massonite 'hardboard' rather than real wood for our shields (Ryan's design). Works REALLY well I think.

LOL. Funniest thing though... I show my shield and everyone says how light it is for it's size (Blondie too). I take the same item to non-final haven people and they always say, "Man that's heavy!" So I guess it's a matter of taste.
We used lauan (a type of flooring underlayment, for those of you not familiar with it) for my shield. Very lightweight.

"Light enough for a girl, strong enough for a man" :)