Logistic Changes at NPC camp

GM_Chris
GM

Logistic Changes at NPC camp

Post by GM_Chris »

We at FH want to make sure we provide the very best entertainment to our customers and have decided to implement the following logistic changes regarding NPC camp. The objective of these changes is as follows

1) Increase response time for anyone who needs to go to NPC camp
2) Increase the number of NPC's in the field so we can provide more and better plots
3) Make the world feel more believable
4) Ensure that we continue to have a living breathing world that is flexible and not scripted.

Changes
1) We will be putting a white board outside of NPC camp. If you are looking for a particular NPC then please put your name, where you would like to meet, an approximate time (please give an hour or so), and the NPC and we will do out best to get the NPC there around that time. We do not promise this will happen. People are busy, they have family and fields to tend to, perhaps he or she is traveling. We will promise to have a reason if the NPC does not show..maybe it will even turn into a plot. Note: If this is too open an idea we could provide a box and slips of paper that you drop into the box.

2) We will be doing our best to schedule recurring NPC's (plot relevant or not) into game. We will definitely have plot relevant NPC's coming into game semi frequently so this should help reduce the need to schedule NPC's as explained in "change one".

3) NPC camp will not stay open 24 hours a day. We will be closing it frequently so our NPC's don't end up manning it all the time. We will come up with a pseudo schedule so you have some expectation of when NPC camp will be open or close.

4) Check in will stop about a half hour before game on and will start back up about a half hour after game on. During this time you should not be at NPC camp.

5) We will have the in-game meeting another place than NPC camp so look for a followup post. This is so we can get our NPC's into game.

6) We encourage sagy people to ask your questions to the GM's when they are out and about at appropriate times i.e when they are coming or going/when the scene is over, bla bla. We will institute some kind of in game signal such as "Could I please speak to you for a moment alone" This will be an ingame way of telling the GM you need to ask an OOG question. THE NPC may respond "not yet", but will follow up as soon as he or she is able.

7) The territory of Haven (not the village) is LARGE..VERY VERY Large, in fact we estimate it to be approximately 65 square miles which is roughly the size of Detroit and metro area. Traveling by horse can take hours and hours to do, so we are asking that any traveling you wish to do is done between events. If necessary we will have a mini RP session with you at game on. This allows us to schedule such things into our agenda

PLEASE PLEASE post any questions you have regarding these changes and we will do our best to answer them.

Thanks
Chris
I be one of the gamemasters so e-mail me questions if you have them
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

One question I anticipate is you may feel the need to sit around all day looking for the NPC that you really want to talk to. I mean you might be out on a plot when they person you want comes in.

I have a solution

FH is a group oriented game. Just like in the real word, and numerous TV shows you can watch, the best solution seems to be to pay someone to keep an eye out for the person you want.

For example, you are looking for Robert, you know he might come in sometime around 1 on Saturday. You need to go on a plot so you PAY someone to deliver a message to Robert for you. Heck you can even use a seal to seal the note. That would create a very neat feel to the game.

or

You are an evil necro and you dont want anyone to know you secretly work for the red tear. Same situation as above. You can be cryptic. Come up with a code and you can still use other PC's to deliver messages and so forth.
Chris
I be one of the gamemasters so e-mail me questions if you have them
Wyrmwrath
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Wyrmwrath »

Last LARP I played at had an in game system that worked well for seeking NPCs and merchants and such.

There was an in game orginization called Runners. They were essentially a messenger system that would deliever messages, goods, and track down relevent NPCs (if they were to be found).
The way to signal you needed thier service was to blow a horn, like the cow horn signal horns. In the next two hours (roughly) a messenger would arrive if there were any in the area and about as often as not there were. They had a charge for delivering a message/finding someone, and another if the PC wanted " deliver confirmation"/ return of coin for delivered goods, word wether the NPC had been found.
They also had a system that was mostly a mystery as to how it functioned to travel great distances quickly AND they had magics that allowed members of thier orginizations watch from a distance if they were attacked (essentialy video quality about as good as a B&W security camera).

Was a very handy tool for the PCs, and solved some of the issues your speaking of. With the gate system FH has already it would not be a stretch if they had a better way to use those gates. If you guys are interested I can detail it more next event in person.
Grand High Chancellor of ROBUST UNPLEASANTNESS
...and the 11th commandment is:

"The stupid shall be punished!"
GM-Taki
Town Member
Town Member

Post by GM-Taki »

We're looking into the logistics of it, but the Tipsy Traveler may soon be offering mail and message services to the greater Haven area.
GM-Taki - Final Haven GM, Winter Haven GM, Editor of the Rulebook Project.
Wyrmwrath
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Wyrmwrath »

Thats would be cool to see. I am not sure it would address the NPC summoning issue that chris is speaking of unless Korigan can swing some expedited travel system for his messengers. The speed of transmision/transportation is what made the Runners such an effective tool for handeling the impulses and situational needs of the PCs.

It also had an interesting RP side, since the horn could be heard over the entire camp, the naughty PCs couldnt summon a runmner without being heard AND the town lords eventually set a law inplace so that all such summonings had to be done by town leadership to hamper the miscrents from messaging thier evil co horts, gathering supplies for sinister deeds, or gathering information or training to advance thier level of dangerousness. The shadowy types had to wait until a runner was called and try to intercept them unseen as they left to do thier shadowy business. So it added a clandestine meeting issue into the RP wich was cool to try to catch or not get caught doing.
Grand High Chancellor of ROBUST UNPLEASANTNESS
...and the 11th commandment is:

"The stupid shall be punished!"
GM-August
Town Member
Town Member

Post by GM-August »

Just to correct one thing Chris mentioned, the Region of Final Haven is not 65 square miles, but 65 miles square. Which is 4,225 square miles. Or, 2.704 million acres.