Unstructured RP'ing

GM_Chris
GM

Unstructured RP'ing

Post by GM_Chris »

Our game IMO is very unstructued in terms of RP. We do not define how pleople should really play their characters. Forexample, we do not say knights are evil or good in anyway. We do say that knights tend to have a code they live by but it is very open ended.

When a character dies we say you can come back as your character, but we do not define how that happens. There can always be a very cool way for this to happen and could be RP'd in a fantastic manner.

Your thoughts?
-Chris
Chris
I be one of the gamemasters so e-mail me questions if you have them
Todd
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Todd »

I am a firm believer that we should Re-Establish Perma-death. Your dead and gone, get over it. One of the major oponents against this (and in my opinion the main reason the rule is as stands) has altered his opinion on this as well. From a world concept it just doesnt make sense, indeed from a story telling standpoint it doesnt make sense. Using Roland as an example; Roland is 20th level, and makes a few enemies. A band of Rogues comes into town, and kills him in plain site. Roland V.1 is now dead, and everyone who witnessed it knows this as well. As the rules now stand Colin (aka Roland) could walk back into town 10 minutes later playing Roland V.2 with no memory, and starting over again at level 1. This makes absolutely no sense. I say Dead is Dead, and if you want to play the same 'type' of character, so be it. But you'll have to at least change his name to do it.

~the Lunatic fringe~
Kale
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Kale »

Agreed. Perhaps there could be some grandeous quests that could bring people back. it: take their body to a dragon, dragon makes deal with the mortal, mortal fullfills quests, a year down the road he is successful, character comes back to life, PC is pissed cause they are having fun with their new character, character gets pissed cause they were at peace [note: buffy syndrome, minus the religous parts]. Meaning, all in all, it's prolly not worth it in the first place, unless it was your one true love or something like that.
Pentaguishine
GM_Chris
GM

RE

Post by GM_Chris »

I have to admit I love drama. Infact if people are looking to bring a person back to life then it is well worth a big dramatic plot to do it.

In teh case of this past event just think of the evil PC's working hard against the good PC's to try and stop the resurection. WOW that would be exciting. :)

-Chris
Chris
I be one of the gamemasters so e-mail me questions if you have them
Kale
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Kale »

My thoughts exactly ;-)
Pentaguishine
Peace420
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Peace420 »

I believe in Perma Death, to me it's what really gets my heart pumping in certain situations. I refuse to use my destiny points at CARPS unless my character dies from something I consider cheese weaseled. I also will not play the same character if Atrum dies, to me death is part of the game, it will happen eventually to most everyone.

HEHE Good PC's :lol:
Death=Adder

One of these days...I'm going to cut you into little pieces...

~Pink Floyd~
Nelkie
Town Member
Town Member

When your dead your dead

Post by Nelkie »

I agree, that when your chacter dies, he is dead. Now if someone wants to bring you back it should be hard. The only known in game way to do it now is to have a 4th level alchimst create a raise dead potion which takes alot of time and requires a quest herb. It is not easy, nor should it be. I like to fear for my characters life. It is what makes the LARP fun.
My Thoughts

Aaron
Donovan Thynedar
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Donovan Thynedar »

I already commented on this subject in another thread ("Player Death" for anyone who is interested), so I'll only pipe up briefly here. The idea of Death needs to be a finality. I can't say I like the whole level-and-memory-loss thing. If a character dies, they're dead. Period. Unless the GM's deem it an unfair death or people in-game go through a great deal to get them back, they're gone. Dead. D-E-D. Ded. Graveyard dead. Dirtnap dead. Away! Away! I've skipped the mortal coil kind of DEAD.

On to the subject of unstructured roleplaying: I like it. The only possible exception I would see would be in the case of a specialized power or ability. Something like a power granted by virtue or malevolence. (Think of a paladin or dark emmisary) They might have some structure to their behavior or face the loss of their abilities. However, since I don't believe there is anything like that in FH, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

I'm not sure how you run NPC's, but I know that I usually put structure into their behavior. If an NPC has certain traits, I like to establish them beforehand and do my best to portray them in-game. It seems to add an air of realism to an otherwise difficult illusion.
One should rather die than be betrayed. There is no deceit in death. It delivers precisely what it has promised. Betrayal, though ... betrayal is the willful slaughter of hope.
Dallid
Deceased

Post by Dallid »

I LOVE the unstructured RP style! For instance, as a healer, I started out Dallid as a novice using leaches, cat-gut, herbs, and bandages to mend people. As he better perfected his training, he now harnesses the magical power of essence to perform medical marvels. I play my character as useing magic, while another, identically built character might RP as a crack medical surgeon. The rule system is such that players with identical skills can still RP VERY different characters!
Learn the past. Observe the present. Guide the future.