This is a thread about RP's disciplines

GM_Chris
GM

This is a thread about RP's disciplines

Post by GM_Chris »

I thought it might be fun to take a discipline and name all the different ways you can RP it. I shall start

Arcane
-Gandolf the sword wierling warrior/arcane
-A bard who sings their songs creating magic
-Dwarven rune caster. It is all in the stones!
-A paladin...my power comes from a non diety (we have no religion)
-Psionic...my power comes from within..internal meditation
-The communer..I commune with the treees and they like me
-The sage/arcane..knowledge is power
-Empath/arcane--feel the force luke
magic is evil
magic is good
magic is neutral
magic is an artform

hmm I know there are more, but I cannot think of characters from enough books thus why they are left out.

So please add to arcane or start into another discipline. I will monitor this fun thread and maybe I will give out a food token or something if someone can impress me. Hmm maybe even a 10 posion

Chris
Chris
I be one of the gamemasters so e-mail me questions if you have them
Peace420
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Peace420 »

In a series of books I believe by Zelazny magic is a measure of your will.
Death=Adder

One of these days...I'm going to cut you into little pieces...

~Pink Floyd~
Lambic
Town Member
Town Member

Adding to Arcane

Post by Lambic »

How about:

The power of words, you know the right word you have to power
or similarly
The power of names, everything has a true/real/hidden name, knowing it gives you power over it.
"The will and the word" A personal favorite.
Blood Magic, this might have bee n covered, but it covers alot of differnt things

That is all I've got right now.
WayneO42
GM

Post by WayneO42 »

How about the power of true names like Ged in the Earthsea Novels. Everything in the universe has a true name. To know a true name gives you power over the object/person/emotion/etc.
Wayne O
The Game Master Lite
Frag the weak, Hurdle the dead!
GM_Chris
GM

RE

Post by GM_Chris »

Warrior/eater of the dead ---savage warrior eating the heart of the person killed in battle so he/she can gain str. It is done in honor of the fallen!

Healer/eater of the dead--savage who learns the secrets of the dead. A witch doctor type. Carries heads around and stuff.

Sage/eater of the dead--Necromancer. Knowledge by any means!

Rogue/eater of the dead--I steel everything even a persons soul. I find what is hidden.

I guess I started it badly..give me archtypes! As above

Chris
Chris
Corbyn
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Corbyn »

Here's some random ones...

Healer/Assassin- A killer with a heart of gold. Example: While I was kindly performing surgery on you, I left a vial of deadly toxin implanted somewhere, that will break open if you are poked in a certain spot. Now, you are my bitch.

Sage/Assassin- A killer who prefers to leave the 'wetwork' to someone else. Example: I have learned that your family has a genetic flaw that makes you highly susceptible to a certain herbal concoction, that once injested will cause your pancreas to explode within an hour unless I administer a counter agent. Now, you are my bitch.

Savage/Warrior/Bureaucrat- Your totally non-diplomatic diplomat. You will all follow me because I will yell the loudest and swing a big stick!

Healer/Craftsman- Puts people back together with whatever is handy. I WILL create the bionic Ka!

Rogue/Pikeman- Sneaky guy with a six foot polearm. Skewers you from below after you walk over the trap he is hiding in-that he made.
Corbyn Gravesbane
Lord High Cavalier
The Hand of Woodhold
Elder of Final Haven
Peace420
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Peace420 »

Rogue/Pikeman- Sneaky guy with a six foot polearm. Skewers you from below after you walk over the trap he is hiding in-that he made
Why does this sound oddly familiar to me?
Death=Adder

~Pink Floyd~
Peace420
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Peace420 »

Healer\Interrogator\Beaurocrat Whitecloak Leader

Rogue\Spy\Assasin Thom Merrilin

Rogue\Assasin\Fence Padan Fain, Mordeth, Ordieth whatever you wanna call him.
Death=Adder

~Pink Floyd~
GM_Chris
GM

RE

Post by GM_Chris »

To encourage more postings so we can get more examples for our next rulebook and to help new people on this board all who have responded to this thread will get 2 resources of their choice next event.

Thanks guys!

If you would like a chance at getting something special please post something..next round of prizes in a week.

Chris
Chris
Buren_Naal
New in Town
New in Town

a few "odd" choices

Post by Buren_Naal »

Here are a few connumdrums I looked at when I was making malphus:

Savage/Sage: I assumed this could be little else than a shaman. The idea of a sage is someone who is focused on acquisition and application of knowledge. Our western ideals place that idea of knowldge to be equivicable to formal education, i.e. books. A savage sage, particularly one from a "pre-literate" type culture is a rediculous skill set. However, rules commentary aside, It would almost have to be a shaman.

since this thread is about Roleplaying...but I can't separate mechanics from it...the two interrelate so much. (most) people aren't goping to combine certain things unless they convey a mechanics advantage.

oh boy, I feel a rant comin on.

The Warrior Warriors are GREAT. They are ripe for ropleplaying opportunity, but can be easily pigeonholed. You can combine warriors with anything failry innocuously. I particularly like the Warrior Druid I see running around as of late. A true HARD ASS defender of the natural world. Personality-wise, warriors have always (not necessarily in FH, but in my outside RP experience) been kind of relegated to more action oriented/extrospective type roles. "other- focused", the hero, the knight, etc.

I like warriors:

Warrior/ Craftsman: To me, this conjures images of...I don't know where from, probably the Ultima series. Then repeated in Perrin from Wheel of time, but the Big, thick necked blacksmith who either used to be a warrior or left smithing to turn his muscle to heroic endeavor. I know that is a vast oversimplification, but...

Warrior/Interrogator: Seems contradictory enough just to work. Warrior are all about confrontation. Either the prevention thereof, or the resolution. Interrogators are covert, by nature a little sneaky. Their work is best doen behind closed doors. weird enough. I can't think of an example. Probably (too modern) but Mafia Enforcer ala Bud White. (LA confidential)

I am systematically working through the combos I see...more to come
Buren_Naal
New in Town
New in Town

PS

Post by Buren_Naal »

Chris,

vis a vis, don't worry about the Resource markers. I've been meaning to do this for a while.

Steev
Lambic
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Lambic »

Peace420 wrote:Healer\Interrogator\Beaurocrat Whitecloak Leader

I may just be dumb but I don't get these refrences. sorry.

Here are a couple of my own:

Knight/Warrior - In truth born to the duty, a fighter from birth; violence is apart of her and she has nutured it.

Knight/Empath - A warrior of magic. He finds strength in both his sword arm and the magic that is his birth right. Balance is not always easy to achieve but powerful when it is.

Knight/Rogue - Not all of those trained in combat are honorable or effciency above all else.

Knight/Healer - She was born to heal people and put them back together when they break but has been forced by the conditions of the world to pick up a sword and undo those who wish to do others harm. Protecter.

Knight/Sage - The learned gentleman. There is no excuse for being uneducated even if you must surrender yourself the harshness of the world around you at times. It is part of what makes a man man, learning the art of war.
Kidwynn
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Kidwynn »

Man, I love warriors so here are a few concepts I have used...

Warrior/Scout: I mean images of Aragorn come to mind. A person who can be a front line fighter and take point while scouting through the woods leading a party.

Warrior/Swashbuckler: Think of your basic cut throat battle harden pirate. It's the type of individual who doesn't need to be a rogue and sneak up behind you to beat you down in battle. The image to me is like a first mate or something on board the ship, some thick-necked muscle bound guy who beats anyone down who comes after the captain. Basic idea if you need a visual, think of Captain Barabosa's big black thug type guy from "Pirates of the Carribbean".

Hey and since I'm on Pirates....

Rogue/Swashbuckler: What some to mind here are images of your standard sterotypical pirate. I would consider this make-up for example a Captain Jack Sparrow type. Very sneaky and when they get the drop on you very deadly.

Ok, there are my few off the top of my head without breaking out the rulebook.
Last edited by Kidwynn on Fri Oct 29, 2004 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dead pirate betrayed by Corbyn...ah well least I made him do his own dirty work when he killed me.
Peace420
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Peace420 »

Lambic wrote:
Peace420 wrote:Healer\Interrogator\Beaurocrat Whitecloak Leader

I may just be dumb but I don't get these refrences. sorry.
Wheel of Time references.
Death=Adder

~Pink Floyd~
GM_Chris
GM

RE

Post by GM_Chris »

Sage:

Sage the learned man with a bunch of books. he gains knowledge through expierence and reading.

Sage: A mystic who gaines knowledge by studing the stars

Sage: Communes with beings of great power to bestow up her great knowledge.

Sage: Gains knowledge by going into a dream trance.

Sage: Can bestow knowledge on anoher via a mystic touch.

"The mechanics mean nothing"
Chris