Death and Dieing Question

Ug
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Ug »

I'm not going to argue against permanent life points. There are people I would resurrect if I had to lose a perm LP.
WayneO42
GM

Post by WayneO42 »

The problem with the caster losing perm Life points is that it favors the warrior arcane to much. The best arcane shouldnt be the guy who is good with a sword it should be the guy who is good with a book.
Wayne O
The Game Master Lite
Frag the weak, Hurdle the dead!
Nelkie
Town Member
Town Member

Suggestion

Post by Nelkie »

My suggestion is to have rare componets required to make or cast any raise dead or resurect type spells. This gives the control to the NPC's and they can make it very hard or easy to find the proper componets. The living hearts is a very diffucult one to come by and your character has to be alittle evil to kill a person to bring another person back. Great for roleplaying. Also, there should be a penalty to the person who is brought back, like they can do nothing for X time as they heal and get readjusted to there body. The spells and alchemy are not that far off on what they need to be, but people need to be familair with the spells they are casting and the alchemy potions they are using. Everyone who ws brought back via raise dead should be useless for 8hrs as per the potion mechanics. The most I would suggest on penilizing a person is they loss 1 or maybe 2 levels if they die and are brought back.
I have been fearing death becasue of the rarerity of the raise dead potions, not having elf hearts avialble, etc....
I personaly thought I had to make a new charcter when I died in the fire blast.
I believe we are close to where we want to be, just arcane needs some small tweaks and we are there.
My Thoughts

Aaron
Midnight
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Midnight »

If losing a LP is considered, it shouldn't be the castor who loses the LP, it should be the resurrected person.
Kidwynn
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Kidwynn »

That's what I've been saying this whole time.

:roll:
Dead pirate betrayed by Corbyn...ah well least I made him do his own dirty work when he killed me.
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

To truly favor the guy with the book, we need to add in some form of research component... I'll think on this. There could be some nice combos there.

Still not in favor of the life point loss. Heck level loss will cover life point loss anyway. Plus it adds in skill and allegience loss too. As an added bonus there is nothing extra to keep track of on the characte sheet.
Wyrmwrath
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Wyrmwrath »

My initial thoughts:

The rule book version requires only blood by the way, no heart needed.

Alchemy:(The rule book version requires only blood by the way, no heart needed.)
Raise dead: 3rd level; Needs 18.3 hours to make and must be applied within 30 minutes of death; 2 quest herbs and blood of recipiants race

Ressurect: 4th level; Needs 24.5 hours to make and must be applied within 2 hours of death; 2 quest herbs and a heart of recipiants race

>>>I belive these to be sufficiently difficult to make and are useless unless already made when the target PC dies. I belive if the blood/heart requirement is fixed in the off season they will not need further changes.

Arcane:

Resume: This seems fine for a second level ritual, though Id make it 3rd. I think the PCs that can re-animate the dead AT ALL should be rarer, and if it stays 2nd level anyone could be a full path whatever and be a second level arcane and use this, Ka being able to raise dead and one of the toughest warriors seems inconsistant to me.

Reincarnate: I see this as a good 3rd level ritual (no idea what level it really is). Not sure I agree about it using rescources being a good thing, but I dont think it is a horrible aspect either. I DO belive that since the spell seems to have a side effect of re-birthing PCs randomly across the planet, they should not all pop up within walking distance of the casting site. An additional cost of 12 levels or half of what you currently have should be attached to prevent suicide castings to get back to the original race. That should take another spell with a heavy price of its own. I also feel the PC should have end up with the boon of the new race, since he/she is that new race now, seems obvious to me.

Ressurect: 4th level with out question. Heavy component and time requirements. Make the caster and PC sit in a circle for 3 to 6 hours if they really want the dead PC back unharmed and without loss. Target PC should be useless for about an hour after successful casting, as should the caster. IF there is a permenenat life point loss, the caster should be able to CHOSE to pay it, otherwise the target gets to foot the bill. No choice, UNLESS some special item is found that can be used instead; like some artifact, ultra rare herb/component, 3 other willing victims each pony up a LP of thier own during the ritual, etc...

Overall, Death is bad. Avoiding it should be costly and hard...VERY hard. Keeping levels and life points is good, keeping them should be hard also. Doing both should be damn near impossible and costly to such an extent that most would baulk at raising thier wives and children AND keeping them the same as they were before death.
Grand High Chancellor of ROBUST UNPLEASANTNESS
...and the 11th commandment is:

"The stupid shall be punished!"
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

There's an alchemy and/or arcane rulebook? :shock:
GM_Chris
GM

RE

Post by GM_Chris »

Just as a note..I know you are being funny pointing out where we are disorganized, but when it keeps getting pointed out it just frustrates me.

Chris
Chris
I be one of the gamemasters so e-mail me questions if you have them
Wyrmwrath
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Wyrmwrath »

no...there are alchemy recepies IN the rulebook...

Lambic
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Lambic »

Wyrmwrath wrote:The rule book version requires only blood by the way, no heart needed.

Alchemy:(The rule book version requires only blood by the way, no heart needed.)
Raise dead: 3rd level; Needs 18.3 hours to make and must be applied within 30 minutes of death; 2 quest herbs and blood of recipiants race

Ressurect: 4th level; Needs 24.5 hours to make and must be applied within 2 hours of death; 2 quest herbs and a heart of recipiants race

>>>I belive these to be sufficiently difficult to make and are useless unless already made when the target PC dies. I belive if the blood/heart requirement is fixed in the off season they will not need further changes.
Just for clarities sake I will mention that Raise Dead in the rule book does not require blood and Ressurect only requires blood of the race. I'm pretty sure that Brian knows this and is just explaining his views but I was confused the first time I read his post. So I thought I would mention this.
Peace420
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Peace420 »

The blood of the race part I don't much like because as we saw this weekend tha will just lend to humans being raised and the other races being resumed or reincarnated for the most part.
Death=Adder

One of these days...I'm going to cut you into little pieces...

~Pink Floyd~
Wyrmwrath
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Wyrmwrath »

I was only pointing out that the recepies CURRENTLY in the rule book at most need blood of target race only, no hearts needed.

I think blood/heart of target race is fine, it means you have to plan ahead what race you want the poition to work on.

Look at all this with this in mind:

Avoiding death should be costly, as should staying as you were before death.....
With potions, the cost/effort comes before the potion is made, with rituals the cost/effort comes AS or AFTER they are cast....
They both have thier places. Potions are perfect for when you do not have time to cast a ritual, but then you have to have one made for the right race. Rituals are great when you have the time because you dont need to guess who or what you are going to use it on.

Nelkie
Town Member
Town Member

Potions

Post by Nelkie »

There are many different versions of the Raise dead and Resurect potion recipies in game right now. about 3 events ago I was informed that the two recipies where updated to included live hearts and some other small changes, and the recipies in the book where not to be used.

But, the official changes will occur in the off session, and it will be fixed
My Thoughts

Aaron
Lambic
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Lambic »

Wyrmwrath wrote:I think blood/heart of target race is fine, it means you have to plan ahead what race you want the poition to work on.
Except that I believe usually it calls for a fresh or live heart which makes it harder to plan ahead, unless there is an in-game way to preserce a heart as you come across them and then are able to use them in the potion.
Wyrmwrath wrote:Avoiding death should be costly, as should staying as you were before death.....
With potions, the cost/effort comes before the potion is made, with rituals the cost/effort comes AS or AFTER they are cast....
They both have thier places. Potions are perfect for when you do not have time to cast a ritual, but then you have to have one made for the right race. Rituals are great when you have the time because you dont need to guess who or what you are going to use it on.
I agree. There should be costs involved and I think with a little tweaking it will be all good.

As for the caster of the spell paying something, like lifepoints, my reasoning was that this should be something the caster has to make a really tough decision on. They should have to think about how much they really want this person alive. But I agree making the warrior/arcane more appealling isn't necessarily a good idea.