Death and Dieing Question

GM_Chris
GM

Death and Dieing Question

Post by GM_Chris »

We have always said this is a bit of a hardcore game, but we also want epic encounters where the PC's barely win, but do win.

My question to the player base is death to hard to come by? Should rez's be harder to come by?

Should we as GM's simply RP things and see what happens.

Chris
Chris
I be one of the gamemasters so e-mail me questions if you have them
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

I'm sorta torn on this one. On the one hand, it is nice that we didn't lose 75% of the town in that initial blast, but at the same time annoying in that we didn't really lose anyone.

I think there needs to be more detriment to coming back. Like you lose half your levels if you are ressurected, regardless of spell or potion type. I do like the current effects that resing someone will either cause them to not be healed or change race (granted no idea whether changing race gives them the racial bonus or not).
Kidwynn
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Kidwynn »

I gave Mike a ideas I had on the whole resurecting thing.

I think half lf your levels is a bit harsh, but I like I stated I have a few ideas. This way people won't keep on killing themselves after a res until they are the race they want.
Dead pirate betrayed by Corbyn...ah well least I made him do his own dirty work when he killed me.
Lambic
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Lambic »

I have to say that I tend to agree, I think a couple of people should've died-died. I think somewhere around three wuold put the fear of god in the characters without being too much. I was truly expecting to die-die as I layed there on the ground bleeding to death with troops running around. And strangely I was ok with that, as much as I like my character.

As for ressurecting people it did seem a little too easy, especially with the spell reincarnate but I wasn't the one who was suddenly a new race. I guess I thought that after getting knocked out about a half dozen times trying to get the herbs needed to restore Corbyn and the higher level arcanes seem to be able to bring people back at little risk to themselves. It is very possible that I am missing something, in this so take it with a grain of salt.
Kidwynn
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Kidwynn »

How about taking Eric's idea and go 1/4 levels the first time. 1/2 the second time, 3/4 the thrid, and game over the 4th. Maybe combine this idea with the one I gave to Mike.
Dead pirate betrayed by Corbyn...ah well least I made him do his own dirty work when he killed me.
Ug
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Ug »

I don't think they need to be uber-hard to come by, however I do have several suggestions to give on changes to some of the spells. The potions I am unsure of as I do not really know much about the potions, they seem hard enough as is from what I understand.

As for the spells, I'll be submitting my ideas. I know the Resurrection spell I think is pretty well balanced. Reincarnate I have some ideas on how to balance. As for Resume Life, I think that is plenty balanced, I just still can't believe that Vince Detect-Truthed himself to death ;-)
WayneO42
GM

Post by WayneO42 »

In my opinion the best at bringing back the dead should be alchemy followed by Arcane. Right now, the alchemy is pretty tough to do. It takes some serious herbs and planning to have a reserect potion laying around. The arcanes seem to be able to do it way too quick. Maybe we just need to add a rare component? Todd?
Wayne O
The Game Master Lite
Frag the weak, Hurdle the dead!
Dallid
Deceased

Post by Dallid »

Some of the raise methods seem okay - if they require ultra rare and/or difficult to come by components, or if they have a severe side-effect, then great.

I don't know what goes into a Resurrect spell, but it seemed way too easy to perform - coming back as a different race is not a severe enough side-effect. Knocking off a percentage of XP sounds like a good measure.

There needs to be a strong deterance against dieing. After last event, it's just not there anymore.
Learn the past. Observe the present. Guide the future.
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

Can't do tiered reduction of reducing, since then you need to record both actual level and original level. Half sucks but then so should dying...

Also this would give another reason to attain a level higher than level 20. Security.
McEwan
Town Member
Town Member

Post by McEwan »

um... how about a death counter?

Like you get like three deaths then you can't be braught back.

period that's it, three stricks and you're out.
Ignorance can be fixed...stupid you're stuck with
WayneO42
GM

Post by WayneO42 »

Another thought I had for the reincarnate spell was that the target no longer gets racial life points.
Wayne O
The Game Master Lite
Frag the weak, Hurdle the dead!
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

That brings up another point of reincarnation. What racial bonus do they recieve now?
GM_Chris
GM

RE

Post by GM_Chris »

I have an idea!!!! Res's rituals require the use of a healer and and alchemist.

Basically the arcane performs the rite, the potion if the rare component, and the healer is nessisary because it only brings a person to neg 10 life just enough for the healer to use surgery on.

Thoughts?

Chris
Chris
I be one of the gamemasters so e-mail me questions if you have them
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

I think that's the potion is the component, which is probably one of the best ideas thus far.

only to -10 is good too. (assuming as if person just went into negs)

Still needs a negative. I could see -4 levels based on that ritual.

Granted it doesn't solve the reincarnate or resume life things. Granted I like resume life as is, but it needs a bit more neg than just can't be healed, like a time limit of by end of event, if still in same state, you die perm.
Nelkie
Town Member
Town Member

Summary

Post by Nelkie »

Ok, Summary

Potions
3rd level raise dead, requires to quest herbs. NPc can control number in game. only usable 1/2 hour after person is dead, and the person can not use any skills or go into combat 8 hrs after potion is admistered.

4th level resurect - requires 2 rare herbs and a living heart of the same race. Takes 24 hours to make.

Spells
2 nd level Resume life - brings a person back to life, but they can be healed and when reach 0 life they die again. cost blue stones
Resurect spell - component takes a live heart of the person of the same race.
Rencarnation - change race, cost cloth

Mnay of these does not allow a person to do much after being brought back to life, most require a rare component. I would say if you die you loss 2-4 levels off your character. Stops from people commiting sucid.

I pesonal have no idea how so many raise dead potions where in game. I tried all session to get the quest herbs for simple raise dead potions, and it wasn't until 5:00 pm Saturday night the quest herbs where procurred. All the humans where resurected by useing hearts from the soliders. The others where rencarnated a a heavy cost of cloth resources and change of race. Now the change in race can mess with guild structures and chould cause them to crumble. I personal think the spells and alchemy should be tweaked so they required rare components. Living hearts, rare herbs, dead bodies, etc.....
My Thoughts

Aaron