Saving throws in a LARP setting

GM_Chris
GM

Saving throws in a LARP setting

Post by GM_Chris »

Ok so I used a point death spell. I was picturing phansasmal killer from DnD, but unlike DnD there be no saving throwin in FH

So the great question. can you have saving throws in any LARP game and not have it be overly cumbersome?

For exaample: Could I have hit a person and instead of saying death (yo your dead)

I could of made a call with a number. If you beat the number no damage but if you have less that the call you die, or more compicated if you have less than the call but more than half x happens, less than half y happens.

Thoughts?
Chris
I be one of the gamemasters so e-mail me questions if you have them
Zydana
GM

Post by Zydana »

It sounds kinda cheap, but at least in the FH larp setting, isn't that kinda what 'resist' and 'immune' are?

Further than that, in the general larp sense, I would assume yes. Not being one to have really played or looked over the carps rulebook, don't they have something like that? From what I heard, say you're hit with poison. Isn't there a number to indicate the strength of a poison in the call?

For example, "50 poison 3"

Now you would have to know if your character can resist poison 3 or not.

Or are you looking for something that's more.. sometimes they can resist and sometimes they can't?
Eli
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Eli »

You could have the number be based upon level. That'd be simple enough.

Call Death lv 20. So if you are not level 20 or better you are dead. Then again, don't really think FH needs absolutes like death spell or point cast for that matter.
-Eli (Full Elvish: Elaith Vonaduran Craulnober)

There once was a man named Eli,
A man who claimed he could not die.
But one thing makes him wail:
That's when there is no ALE!
Thus his tale: with no beer, he will cry.

(The dark haired, green eyed mage child has faded into the past leaving behind one not quite an adult, but clearly no longer a child. The warrior-mage mixture that he has become can only be described as a survivor. )
Zeira
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Zeira »

The level thing sounds good to me as well. "Death 20"
cole45
Town Member
Town Member

Post by cole45 »

i like the death 20(chaeters lvl 19 and lower die.) or fear, or sleep, or ninja.
Travis Cole
Aurora
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Aurora »

See, being use to CARPS I didn't mind the call especially after we established it was a spell and talk about it. Since in that case you allowed me to use a resist magic after we talked.

Wasn't so bad to me but one of the larp systems I come from has spell death and death strike.

-Julie

:D
Aurora Darksbane

Mage Hunter of the Old Code
Caldonian Genderman
Goonter
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Goonter »

You could just have everyone carry around a d20...
The Wanderer
Jaycen Blackhawk
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Jaycen Blackhawk »

I vote NO on everything to do with this thread.

But I do like the idea of using character level as resist gauge.

Fear X - if you are lower than X level you are Feared. Resists still work as normal.

Poison X - if you are lower than X level you are Poisoned. Resists still work as normal.

and so on...

It could make for some interesting monster encounters....
‘All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing’

Soldier
Mercenary
The Last Hawk
Azra
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Azra »

Jaycen Blackhawk wrote: But I do like the idea of using character level as resist gauge.

Fear X - if you are lower than X level you are Feared. Resists still work as normal.

Poison X - if you are lower than X level you are Poisoned. Resists still work as normal.

and so on...

It could make for some interesting monster encounters....
I do like this idea. It kind of makes sense too, like say if a 0 level character faced a troll or something, they'd be freaked the crap out, but a level 24 seasoned warrior, not so much.
Azra Celevares
Rothek
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Rothek »

i am personally against the idea of saving throws in the FH setting because to me that makes it way too much like a table top game,

somebody calls fear and the target says "resist" or "immune" is so much easier than having to stop think about what your lvl is then hear what the call was and etc. it all sounds like way too much thinking and number crunching that would be forgotten in the heat of battle anyway,

basically what i am trying to say is lets not screw with a system that already works....kind of
Rothek HowlingFang
Den-father of the Howling Fang tribe.
friend and ally of the dwarves of Killeshandra.
Atrum Draconus
Town Member
Town Member
Location: Look over your shoulder... better yet... just keep your eyes forward.

Post by Atrum Draconus »

LARP rules change, it's the nature of the beast. Even a guy that claimed that he had created "the perfect, unbreakable" system had to change a bunch of stuff a couple years after that.

I'd have no problem with level being a threshold for absolute effects. I don't even have a problem with death strikes or point deaths used sparingly by the GM's, not the PC's.
Atrum Draconus
House Draconus
Hand of King Chimeron Draconus
ANNOSUS DRACONUS!
Zeira
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Zeira »

I think this stuff is more for hypothetical larp.
Rothek
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Rothek »

i understand that, and i am perfectly fine with things evolving and necessary changes being made

also i am completely for the idea of gms playing the big bad boss monster that swings "make a new character"

drawing from other games and fantasy themed genre's a final boss monster or impenetrable force of whatever the case may be isn't and shouldn't be a push-over.

however, my concern is when game mechanics start to take over and then the whole game becoming about who can do math faster and better than the other person which is what i was trying to get at in the first place.
Rothek HowlingFang
Den-father of the Howling Fang tribe.
friend and ally of the dwarves of Killeshandra.
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

Yeah guys this is hypothetical

I was just wondering if there was a way for any LARP to have non encombered saving throws. You know like how DnD does a saving throw.

Basically you have a number plus a random value.

I know this doesnt work so you could have a number test and then a variable effect.

For example, and for the record I think this not very creative and sucky , you call Lash Death 5

You have 3 peole hit by the effect
Person one has resist death 6 so is unaffected
Person two has resist death 4 so he is hit, but doesnt die, so say is at 1 LP.
Person three has resist death 2 which is less that half of 5 so is flat out dead

Does this explain better?
Chris
I be one of the gamemasters so e-mail me questions if you have them
Atreus
New in Town
New in Town

Post by Atreus »

there would be no more balance in the game, lower level characters would basicly get the shaft. unless they can make a call for 150th level death strike or multiple smaller level death strikes adding up to a high level death.