Ideal LARP Skill Question

Atrum Draconus
Town Member
Town Member
Location: Look over your shoulder... better yet... just keep your eyes forward.

Post by Atrum Draconus »

A long time ago on the LARP discussion board in the Universal Larp System threads I put forward a skill wheel idea, if I were to write a system I would use that because it doesn't make it so people can't learn certain skills by themselves like CARPS but makes it harder and harder the frther away from your speciality you get.
Atrum Draconus
House Draconus
Hand of King Chimeron Draconus
ANNOSUS DRACONUS!
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

Erik, I had similar thoughts, or I just got the idea from you as I was on that discussion. :)

I am currently leaning in the direction of no skill wheel, but allowing anyone to buy anything they want and your race does not determine your abilities at all. A skill tree basically.

That said alot is dependant on the lore of race and the lore of how magic works.
Chris
I be one of the gamemasters so e-mail me questions if you have them
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

If you are thinking like GURPS, it's more of a skill orchard. :)
My posts in no way reflect that of anyone else nor are they in any way official.
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

Not nessissarily. I am not really thinking a skill tree per say it is a lot more wierd than that.

It is more like custom skill building so everyone can have exactly what skill they want.

You want a crit strike that only effets the back and can only be used at night boom you can build it.

Downside is peer policeability but on the bonus side it also removes players telling other players they cant do smething because they would have no real way of knowing unless it was WAY out of wack. :)
Chris
Atrum Draconus
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Atrum Draconus »

:shock:
And you think there is a problem with "misused" skills now!! ZOMG I can't imagine the amount of bitching and misused skills that would result in. Me thinks you have far too much faith in pc's not to act like spoiled whiny old people with alzheimers.
Atrum Draconus
House Draconus
ANNOSUS DRACONUS!
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

Yeah I know it sounds crazy, but I have this idea to keep things balanced and tight. MUCH tighter than FH.

So basically an idea that gives you more flexability than carps with more tightness than FH, and no times per day ofcourse

Oh yes it can be done I think
Chris
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

You just described exactly how GURPS Supers does powers.
My posts in no way reflect that of anyone else nor are they in any way official.
Atrum Draconus
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Atrum Draconus »

How is policing going to be tighter if everyone builds their own skills? Right now most LARPS can't really police the entire player base and rely on pc's saying something to someone in charge or someone in charge noticing the misuse and saying something.
Atrum Draconus
House Draconus
ANNOSUS DRACONUS!
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

I dont think policing will be as nessissary if the system is tight. I didnt meant to imply policing would be tight but the system as a whole.

There needs to be solid bounds to craziness and when that is crossed you can blow the whisle.
Chris
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

So same as exists now, it's just someone might blow it? :D
Atrum Draconus
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Atrum Draconus »

dier_cire wrote:So same as exists now, it's just someone might blow it? :D
LOL I was thinking the same thing. It's usually pretty obvious to me when something wonky is going on. I'd like to hear this system some time Chris, I just don't see how it can be tight enough that the same people that don't read their skills, spells and potions correctly now will all of a sudden remember their skills correctly, even if they made them up.
Atrum Draconus
House Draconus
ANNOSUS DRACONUS!
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

:)

The idea only came to me recently, as in 3 days ago and I am still working stuff out thus the new line of questions. Once I have something discussable I will post it so all those interested in this kind of thing can contribute.

I want to make sure alot of what is in my head gets into a format that others can understant. :lol:
Chris