Ideal LARP Skill Question

GM_Chris
GM

Ideal LARP Skill Question

Post by GM_Chris »

Do you like a bunch of different skills that are basically the same or 1 skill you can use a bunch of different ways.

Ideal example is channel. Channel is a skill represented by 3 skills, but is really just 1 skill that can be used 3 ways.

How do you like to see it on your character sheet?
Chris
I be one of the gamemasters so e-mail me questions if you have them
General Maximus
Town Member
Town Member

Post by General Maximus »

3 different skills. It is easier for people to unestand what they can do.
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

:(

WRONG!
Chris
General Maximus
Town Member
Town Member

Are you telling me people had trouble understanding the 3 different skills are just 1 skill with 3 different levels? I personaly treat it as a single skills with 4 different moods of use. But on a character sheet, it is easist to understand what you can do by splitting it up into 3 different skills. And it should be easier for a noob just to learn 1 level/1 skill at a time.
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

It just ins't what I want to hear.
Chris
Atrum Draconus
Town Member
Town Member
Location: Look over your shoulder... better yet... just keep your eyes forward.

Post by Atrum Draconus »

So you feel a little better Chris, I'm just fine with having something like channel be 1 skill usable 3 different ways, thats the way I look at the rogue damage skills. :wink:

But, then you don't have any separation for higher and lower versions of the skill so you may run in to problems when you want to make changes in the future because they will affect all aspects of the skill.
Atrum Draconus
House Draconus
Hand of King Chimeron Draconus
ANNOSUS DRACONUS!
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

Erik > Aaron
Chris
Ark
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Ark »

I always thought that the channel, crit strike, and knockout were one skill that had different levels, as its called lesser attack, atttack, greater attack, same attack but different versions, i could also see magic lash fiting in as its area effect version like fable 2
If it storms or snows, or the sun smiles on us. The day burning hot, or ice cold of night. Dusty are our faces, but joyful are our minds! - Panzerlied
Brian: Do not respond, quote, argue, debate, or try to start a conversation about anything I say or post, directly or indirectly, specifically or implicitly. At the very least I will consider it stalking, and going further consider it harassing, belittling, demeaning, mocking, or insulting. I will immediately report it as such and push to request that your forum privileges be at least suspended or terminated, and going further request your LARP attendance privileges be suspended or terminated as per the Final Haven Code of Conduct. this is your notice and warning.
If you have an opinion on something I say, or a particular topic, but would prefer to keep your opinion private (or complain) then CLICK HERE! to send a private message to GM-Mike the head GM and let him know.
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

I think the point Nelkie was trying to make, though I could be wrong as I haven't actually talked to him, is that in a rule book, especially for a new player, one skill is far more confusing than 3 seperate skills, which is true. Don't make people read crap they don't need to. Be specific.
Channel:
Empaths can summon forth the energy around them and fling it at a target, thereby causing damage. It takes an uninterrupted 10 seconds to charge this skill. The damage from this skill is delivered through the use of a “spell packet” (See page 104) and ‘5 Magic’ must be called when the packet is thrown at the target.’ At advanced level, an empath may charge for an uninterrupted 20 seconds and deal '10 Magic'. At Master level, an empath may charge for an uninterrupted 30 seconds and deal '15 Magic'. As well at master, an empath may charge for an uninterruptted 60 seconds, where he or she may not move afterwards, and deal '30 Magic'. While charging, Empaths must hold the spell packet in the air so others can see what they are doing—it is hard to hide a big ball of energy! Once the skill is charged the Empath can use no other skills nor perform any actions except walking, talking, or running until the skill is used.
See how much more clunky that reads? A new person will be lost. Now we all have played so it's obvious. You can reword it to be better but it'll never be as easily readable as three skills as the person reading it only has to read the skills that pertain to them versus reading a bunch of crap they can't use yet.
My posts in no way reflect that of anyone else nor are they in any way official.
General Maximus
Town Member
Town Member

Yup, Eric sumed it up nicely!
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

Let me rephrase if a rule system was not set up like FH and just a skill absed system

Skill Channel

Each level you by this skill you may throw a packet for 5 points of damage. The time it takes to throw your packet starts at 10 seconds goes up 10 seconds per level

Level 1)

5 damage 10 seconds
10 damage 20 seconds
15 damage 30 seconds
Chris
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

So basically a skill leveled system (aka CARPS)? Yeah, works fine too, but you are talking apples and oranges since the skills are gathered in completely different methods.

It's all based on your base rules. You couldn't do FH's channel in a CARPS type system and you couldn't do a CARPS type deal in FH. At least not well. But since you rephrased then, yes, a single skill is better in that instance.
My posts in no way reflect that of anyone else nor are they in any way official.
Atrum Draconus
Town Member
Town Member
Location: Look over your shoulder... better yet... just keep your eyes forward.

Post by Atrum Draconus »

Yeah that's kinda been my point across these questions is that it's nearly impossible to say whether that's preferred if you don't have the basic type of system you are trying to work with these things with.
Atrum Draconus
House Draconus
Hand of King Chimeron Draconus
ANNOSUS DRACONUS!
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

LOL not completely sure myself.

I have come to the conclusion that despite my best efforts to say mechanics dont matter it is how you RP play it the truth is there is a segment, and arguably a large segment, that enjoys playing with the mechanical aspects of their character. this has lead me to the belief that if I was going to build a new system then it would be skill based (CARPS/Gurps)instead of class based (FH/DnD)
Chris
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

I'd do a hybrid, like CARPS (as it is not fully skill based like GURPS). The classes are actually the races in it. I'd say move that out to real classes (ala FH) and base your accesses to your skills off that.

Maybe there's your next ideal LARP question. Should choosing a race have a mechanical benefit?