Ideal LARP Question 2

GM_Chris
GM

Ideal LARP Question 2

Post by GM_Chris »

THIS WILL NOT BE IMPLIMENTED IN FH

How would critical ehaling work in your ideal LARP?

I have been thinking about this and it has been one of the biggest debates we have had so I will keep this simple.

Do you like the concept of "Bleeding to Death" or would you like to see something different?

For example there is no bleeding to death per say, and you can have say any 3 effects attempt to bring you out of negatives. if those 3 effects fail to bring you out of negatives then you die.
(This is off top of my head and using it as an example of something different)
Chris
I be one of the gamemasters so e-mail me questions if you have them
Crist0
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Crist0 »

I like the the concept of bleeding to death. It's logical. If you haven't received medical attention after a certain amount of time, then you die. That's realistic, and easy to understand. I think that if you take enough damage to drop you in the negatives and there's no way to heal your wounds then you should definitely die after a certain amount of time. Otherwise you could end up laying on the ground for hours waiting for something to heal you back up which is lame.
"Taunt!" (that means bring it...)
Ark
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Ark »

the bleeding to death thing i think is fine, when your in negs you begin bleeding to death, fine, the problem i see is all the different times and skills needed to get them out of negitives, if that was better i think it would be fine
If it storms or snows, or the sun smiles on us. The day burning hot, or ice cold of night. Dusty are our faces, but joyful are our minds! - Panzerlied
Brian: Do not respond, quote, argue, debate, or try to start a conversation about anything I say or post, directly or indirectly, specifically or implicitly. At the very least I will consider it stalking, and going further consider it harassing, belittling, demeaning, mocking, or insulting. I will immediately report it as such and push to request that your forum privileges be at least suspended or terminated, and going further request your LARP attendance privileges be suspended or terminated as per the Final Haven Code of Conduct. this is your notice and warning.
If you have an opinion on something I say, or a particular topic, but would prefer to keep your opinion private (or complain) then CLICK HERE! to send a private message to GM-Mike the head GM and let him know.
General Maximus
Town Member
Town Member

Post by General Maximus »

Bleeding to death is a good thing. But a simplified version is required. It gives a person a fighting chance to survive when down and can be herioc for the people trying to save them. With out the negative buffer, I see poeple to afraid to get into battle.
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

an interesting concept is the dying system that is coming around in most co-op video games these days. Might be neat to try and merge it more directly. Counts already exist in games, but the ability to crawl/walk/cry out tends to be skill based.

But yeah, just dead isn't going to fly anymore.
My posts in no way reflect that of anyone else nor are they in any way official.
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

What is the coop method?
Chris
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

Basically, when you die, you don't die. You sometimes fall down, sometimes are still standing, can crawl / move slowly, and everyone knows you are down, ie big red mark on the screen (this is effectively being able to yell, moan, talk in a LARP situation). A buddy runs over and some games require 5 seconds or so, but most are instaneous poof you are up. Now some bring you back to full health, others require items to heal you beyond a minimal level. If an enemy runs over, they can one hit kill you.

Again similar to what we have but faster.
My posts in no way reflect that of anyone else nor are they in any way official.
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

Simplier too.

You can get rid of negatives. Keep bleeding to death, but just say that once you hit negatives the next hit kills you. :)

You could give people 5 minutes to bleed to death and each hit you take in negatves reduces the time by 1 minute. Might be too much math.

I love the drama of the FH system but I dont like the complexity in negatives. It is not nearly as clean as I would like it.
Chris
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

GM_Chris wrote:You could give people 5 minutes to bleed to death and each hit you take in negatves reduces the time by 1 minute.
I've heard those exact words from Nelkie.
GM_Chris wrote:Might be too much math.
And those were my words. :)
Creepy.

On a side note, most video games also have a timer (between 5-15 seconds usually) to reach the partner. Of course the scenarios are close quarters and damage to life ratio is low so you can run and help them out quickly.
Atrum Draconus
Town Member
Town Member
Location: Look over your shoulder... better yet... just keep your eyes forward.

Post by Atrum Draconus »

How is that any simpler? Sure you only have to count 5 hits in negatives but you have to count for 5 minutes while you rp dying, you can be in the middle of a count and get hit and have to change the number. There WILL be a skill evntually that adds time in 30 second lumps because adding in 20% lumps will be too powerful.
Atrum Draconus
House Draconus
Hand of King Chimeron Draconus
ANNOSUS DRACONUS!
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

Actually, you would do it by each hit adds 60 seconds. So your job as a player is to count to 300. If you are hit add 60 to your count. Pretty simple.

And I don't know how you know what WILL happen in a LARP that doesn't exist, but I want that skill. :P
Atrum Draconus
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Atrum Draconus »

Getting hit will make your count longer? That doesn't jive, because then you just keep hitting the person more, extending their death count until the healer with the neccesary skill gets there.

I have yet to play ANY system that had anything other than your numbers run out and you die that didn't mitigate dying time in some fashion. EVERY system I've ever played in any tabletop, video game or LARP has had it. It's just one of those things. If you have melee damage, you're going to have some sort of way to resist it rather it be armor or resist skills, if you have death count you will have a mitigating factor.
Atrum Draconus
House Draconus
ANNOSUS DRACONUS!
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

No Erik is right.

Here is my delema

I love RP, and I want the death scene to be a moment of great RP not someone sitting there counting time. Not a bunch of communication of "how much life do you have". I want it to have drama!

So that is my goal here are a couple general rule principles/

1) No bleeding to death. This allows the character to concentrate on RP'ing the death scene without need of couting time. You can add in rules like FH's "bag" system to healing to give comming out of negs a chance of failure giving drama to the healing scene. The problem is there is no bleeding to death. There is no "quick we have to get to him befoer he bleeds out" Those moments become lost.

2) You add bleeding to death. Now you fix the problem above, but you loose good RP if you want to have any kind of acurate count of where you are at. Plus is 1 minute too quick? Timing errors (your second is a lot longer than my second).

So is there a way to have both and if not which is better to have? Where do you stick the drama? I have to tell you I am leaning toward 1 as I get older. I am looking at the healing process as having the dama and removing the bleeding to death. You can count how many hits you have in negatives you can die at -10. You can have a recoop time based on how damaged you were in negs. So lets say at neg 10 you need to rest for 10 minutes. I dont know....
Chris
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

Atrum Draconus wrote:Getting hit will make your count longer? That doesn't jive, because then you just keep hitting the person more, extending their death count until the healer with the neccesary skill gets there.
Don't be dumb. Re-read it and think about it. You'll get it. I have faith in you.

As for drama versus counting, the best mitigating factor is limiting what the person counts. Counting damage is annoying since you can't defend and at high speed it's hard to track. Anyone who's NPC knows this. However, counting time isn't too bad. If your time is arbitrarily long the "your second is longer than mine" is relatively irrelevant as the alternate form of death will kick in. This could be a one hit and you die, to a counted action, to take 2-5 hits.

If you remove the time factor entirely, then you are crawling around till a monster skewers you. You adjust combat by making all monsters slay active for lack of a better term and just adjust how long they take before actually killing someone. Say the puds only deal it after a long time, and big baddies do it right away.
Atrum Draconus
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Atrum Draconus »

Yeah I did read that wrong, still I don't think adding 60 to 113 then to 185 etc. while tracking how many hits you take is any easier than tracking damage in negs and counting to 60.

I would tend to agree on the other points. You are going to lose out on something, drama, being realistic, or simplicity. You can't have your cake, sell it at a profit, and eat it too. :wink:
Atrum Draconus
House Draconus
ANNOSUS DRACONUS!