no
71%

Total votes: 7
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Unbalancing?

Post by dier_cire »

Just was curious what everyone thought of combat when I'm playing Ka. If he is over the top then I'll re-think continuing his character. Just having a mental debate with myself. Yes, I know I'm overly sensitive about combat but I kinda feel I have to and hey it's the main thing I look forward to when coming to Final Haven.
Nelkie
Town Member
Town Member

NO

Post by Nelkie »

NO
My Thoughts

Aaron
Peace420
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Peace420 »

No I don't think he's overbalancing in combat, he's just powergamed and everything that he can do is well within the rules, as a matter of fact because of the way he was made the glaring problems with armor and a few of the warrior skills were brought to light. I would say try to point some of those things out to the NPC staff when you find them though instead of exploiting them. If you do that and they still don't do anything about it then it's on them. I know that you have been saying the monk and swashbuckler were very nasty PC killers for some time now so them not taking a look at it till you played it is really on them but still, try to get them to see your point without making the character. Send them an e-mail of some of the sceanarios that you have come up with and such so that they see them.
Death=Adder

One of these days...I'm going to cut you into little pieces...

~Pink Floyd~
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

He himself isn't really powergamed (warrior/knight with level 1 witchhunter isn't very hard to figure out). It's mostly the outside influences that make him excessive.

Now the swashbuckler, yes, that was powergamed. Heck, there's 3 or 4 more combos than the one I chose which are equally deadly. Of course will anyone believe me? And I still don't think they are overpowered, since other combos can touch someone and that person drops. The swachbuckler still has to hit you at least 3 times to accomplish the same goal and has a 30 minute timer till he can attempt it again.
Peace420
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Peace420 »

Add Man at arms 3rd lvl in full light armor and the swashbucler becomes nigh invincible in melee combat. He can have a shield to block booms, resist fear and sleep, if you go to 4th lvl man at arms you even get a bonus to your shield and he can do vorpal. Make the path a warrior and he gets extra damage and bonus to armor and you can fight in negatives if you go to advanced warrior.
Last edited by Peace420 on Tue Sep 23, 2003 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Death=Adder

~Pink Floyd~
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

that is one of them. Useful due to the resist sleep.

Look at pikeman for another. 5 vorpal initial, ouch.

Monk for the stun, though you still need a sword to do the vorpal
GM_Chris
GM

re

Post by GM_Chris »

Nope dont think you are overpowered at all. Infact I see no problems since we made a few of the changes.

Now as for the men at arms with a shield and light armor that does not work since shields add to your armor catagory.

-Chris
Chris
I be one of the gamemasters so e-mail me questions if you have them
Donovan Thynedar
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Donovan Thynedar »

I don't think he's overpowered either. Perhaps in comparison to some less physical characters he appears formidable, but that's the way the character is designed. Many people gain satisfaction in knowing that there are things their characters can do well, and combat is something that is significant in a Live-Action setting. Before any character can be considered "unbalanced", the location of balance in the game must be defined. While I have only attended one event, it seemed to me that damage was ranging from 1 to 3 for melee attacks with 5 and 8 being the norm for magical attacks. I also saw stun, sleep, fear, and nerve pinch used to great effect in cases where normal attacks would be near useless. Now that I've had a chance to look over the rules in more detail, I would say that the balance for combat more than allows for characters like Ka (If he's the one I'm thinking about. If not, this may all be misguided; though I beleive it to still be relevant.)
One should rather die than be betrayed. There is no deceit in death. It delivers precisely what it has promised. Betrayal, though ... betrayal is the willful slaughter of hope.
Nelkie
Town Member
Town Member

Power Gaming

Post by Nelkie »

It was brought up that Eric should not power game his character.

I personal believe it is impossible to fully power game 1 character. Everyone is pretty balanced. the only way to power game in Finial Haven is to collect a group of people who's skills benifit each other. That is what is done in the Guild of Light. We have a group of people that play an imporant role with in the guild and togther we make each other more powerful. But 1 person in mu opinion can not power game a character. There is a counter to every chacter type.

As for letting the NPC's know rule breaks, that is what Eric and I have been doing for the last month and half. If a certain combo worked to well or certain skills seem to powerful, than a call, post, e-mail was sent out. We want a balanced game that was fun for everyone to play in where the real power comes from working with people.
My Thoughts

Aaron
Peace420
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Peace420 »

Now as for the men at arms with a shield and light armor that does not work since shields add to your armor catagory.
Not with swashbuckler if you have 1 weapon. Believe me I thought very hard about swashbuckler\assasin\warrior but decided that that wasn't really what my char was about.

Every system can be powergamed, and there is nothing wrong with it if that's what you want to do. You may not be able to do everything and be a jack of all trades in FH but you can definitely make a character that is extremely good at 1 or 2 things, like killing or espionage or trader\merchant or politician by taking the disciplines and paths that will benefit that archetype the most.
Death=Adder

~Pink Floyd~
GM_Chris
GM

RE

Post by GM_Chris »

I see nothng wron with powergaming. I will not get into the motives of why a person plays a particular class.

On a side note if Ka is broken in some way then the combination is broken. frankly though I do not think Ka can beat all other combo's out of the water.

-Chris
Chris
I be one of the gamemasters so e-mail me questions if you have them