to counter a spell you must cast that spells oposite
71%

Total votes: 7
Kale
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Kale »

I spose I understand the point.

Though there are infractions of this type of instance left and right and (I at least) have not heard many complain. Tarot Cards, for instance.

But if you call someone a Mage Slayer, what about those who consider themselves a Mage?
Pentaguishine
Peace420
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Peace420 »

CARPS has changed to calling them "Wretch Hunters", if the wretches are offended who cares. :lol:
Death=Adder

One of these days...I'm going to cut you into little pieces...

~Pink Floyd~
Kale
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Kale »

Hmmm...a Priest/Cleric Hunter, now there's a discipline that I might be interested in.

*grins in a very evil fashion*
Pentaguishine
Kale
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Kale »

Oh I see, care about the witches but not the wretches ;-)
Pentaguishine
Eilonwy
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Eilonwy »

Hey...I consider myself a wretched little wretch. Is there a new definition for it in pop-culture? It's my most used nature in White Wolf.... 8)
E. E. Nightshade of Clan Campbell
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

Just wondering if we have any Wiccans that are offended by the term "Witch Hunter"? Generally, people are pretty tolerant of things especially when it's something like this where there is obviously no intent on hunting wiccans. Seems kinda silly to argue over something that "could" offend someone, since roleplaying by its lonesome is offensive to certain people.

However if someone feels that the term and their beliefs are in conflict, they should feel free to speak up. Then the creators can deal with it how they want.
Azara Blackhawk

Post by Azara Blackhawk »

Ok, I see the topic of conversation and it is about what I play at CARPS.

The term "Witch-Hunter" was changed for it actually did offend some of the wiccans who played CARPS. The first change in the terminology was to Wrech Hunter. Now it is alright, but not as descriptive of an occupation as Witch-Hunter once was.

I came up with the term Mage Slayer and well some of the powers that be liked it, so instead of my character calling herself Wretch Hunter of Silverthorne it turned into Mage Slayer of Silverthorne.

So there is my two nick on the whole Witch-Hunter thing for what it is worth.

-Julie

Ah, felt so nice to type Witch-Hunter again. :wink:
Todd
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Todd »

Wretch hunter - No
Mage Slayer - Okay
Counterspell - No FN Way
Disinchant - Cool

Bishop Hunter - HeHe, I kinda like it!

~the Lunatic fringe~
Kale
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Kale »

So then, if I were, for instance, a Mage or knew one, then I would want to talk to Sam about the whole "Mage Slayer" thing?

I have met plenty of Mage's (and Witches) in the past. Mage's of course being those who practice the arts of Magick, but do not follow the paths of Wiccans.

Course then, the whole magic system is a big mockery of something they actually do.

*shrug* I guess I just don't see how it is offensive, nor have I met (people that I know are Wiccans) a Wiccan that I feel would be offended by the term. Now offended by someone really trying to hunt and kill them? Yah, that'd be annoying.
Pentaguishine
Azara Blackhawk

Could we please not change the terminology again at CARPS for what Kimberlyn does please. Mage was used instead of Witch. Wretch is just, well to be honest silly.

I mean if there is to be yet another change then Kim and I have already been working on a solution, but please for crying out loud, enough is enough.

If the terminology/title is to change then what we were working on with Sam in Hunter or Huntress. What we hunt is the disobedient and the damned (rogue mages and necromancers).

Bishop no good at CARPS for the religion aspect, but if you guys want to use it at FH, that might be kinda cool.

-Julie
GM_Chris
GM

re

Post by GM_Chris »

Hmm I perhaps am not being clear.

Ok so I star casting firestorm and I am in a big castle. Since I am in a castle you are not going to get to me to put an arrow in my neck.

The arcane on the sieging side wishes to protect his army so he begins a counter spell. A counter spell will work by the arcane sitting down , or whatever, and concentrating on the coutnerspell. As long as the are "concentrating (casting) the counter spell when the spell they want to counter goes off then the counter goies off.

So basically When firestorm is finished the arcane will call a gamestop. DURING this game stop the countering arcane will yell counter. This "counter" will be considered a "min time" cast and thus the countering mage will take some kind of penalty.

-Chris
Chris
I be one of the gamemasters so e-mail me questions if you have them
Azara Blackhawk

No, Chris you are being clear.

This discussioin I guess was just a side tangent that I guess should be brought up in the general discussion section of the other forum.

I like the opposite spell to use as a counter-spell. As the example you used of a water spell countering a fire spell. Just makes sense to me.

It is either that or yes, you could do into the realm of disenchante, reflect, and counter-magic itself. However, I thought the goal was to not have as many rules in FH as in some other games.

-Julie
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

The only question I have is how am I, the player, going to know what spell you are casting without having to go OOG and ask? What if I was wanting to be secretative and counter a spell while remaining in the shadows or something (like there's a big army that would smash me if they knew I was here doing this)? Walking up and asking is kind of a big nullifying factor in that. This is my only issue with the counterspell being type specific at all.

All in all if we are going for opposites, I'd say make them general, like a water spell that counters any fire spell. a fire spell that counters any water spell, etc... Then the water counter could counter the firestorm and if there was a second mage on the tower he could be preparing a fire counterspell to counter the water one. He wouldn't even need to know that some one was casting a counter, he'd be there just in case. Though the problem of the water caster having to ask still exists.

Edit: Possible idea of having the general counter spell mentioned before but have it able to also counter non-opposite spells as well, though at a greater cost to the mage (if its the same element, it'd be very painful). This would in effect remove the need to go and ask what spell was being cast, since you'd pick a counter and be ready for a world of casting pain if you pick the same element.
Last edited by dier_cire on Thu Sep 18, 2003 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
GM_Chris
GM

re

Post by GM_Chris »

You would not be able to counter in the shadows. You are wielding big time magic and thus people will see you.

Lots of things to think on hehe

-Chris
Chris
I be one of the gamemasters so e-mail me questions if you have them
Trevor Owen
GM

Countering Spells and Secrecy

Post by Trevor Owen »

I think the point about secrecy is a good one, what we have to decide is whether or not the arcane casting in the first place would notice someone tampering with his magic... Is countering a matter of disrupting the caster's magic or a matter of constructing a shield that deflects the spell after it is cast.

If you go with the first one, I think you have to know the same spell, and you actually are unworking the rite they are working as they work on it, thus they would know you were there and could send an army after you.

On the other hand, if you go with the second option, you have no idea what they are casting, you select your ward or protective rite based on a hunch and try to get it off before they get a smackdown done. If you are fast enough and guess right, then when they call the game stop you go up and tell them - this is the rite i used and it does this, if you happened to get lucky and counter what they were doing then you can determine the effects with a marshall. Since we have to have a game stop for huge effects anyway, i think this is relatively little problem.

Anyway, it prevents us from having to do an extra game stop, and prevents a cheesy one minute disenchant for a rite that may take an hour or more to cast.

-Trevor
Master of witless lore and red herrings