Rule Changes

Nelkie
Town Member
Town Member

Rule Changes

Post by Nelkie »

I have read over the rule changes and have some questions.

Rule Change 2: The charge ability is lost if hit even if damge is not taken. I would like to see this rule play tested and see how it effects the charged skills. My concern it puts a big limitation to nerve pinch and backstab because they are close combat skills. I can understand if you loose the charge if you take damage to your armor, costume, life, but if it hits your shield or weapon?

Rule 8 : I disagree with the change. It would take 2 events for a new group of people to start a guild. Why should new people get penilized if they want to start a guild.

Rule 12: What about the issue of counting the time to bleed to death while active in the negatives? An idea is the warrior does not start to bleed to death until they use determination. It gives the warrior +10 life.

Rule 17: With this rule a phazed person can not phaze through a cieling.

Rule 30: Will the time for field repairs be lessened under the new system?
My Thoughts

Aaron
GM_Chris
GM

re

Post by GM_Chris »

Let me comment on rule 8 for the moment.

A new group of people can indeed form a guild and RP accordingly, but they canot get any special skills since it takes an event to get influence. IMO anyone new to a LARP should have an event to get to know the rules before we add in new ones, especially anything like our guild structure.

Personally thestrength is in the numbersand organization not in the skills gained.

Chris
Chris
I be one of the gamemasters so e-mail me questions if you have them
Nelkie
Town Member
Town Member

I See

Post by Nelkie »

Well if you put it that way, I can understand the descision. Ok I grudenly support rule 8.
My Thoughts

Aaron
GM_Chris
GM

RE

Post by GM_Chris »

Rule 12:

I think you are confused. The warrior no longer begins bleeding to death until they fall back into determination which happens if they try and flee combat, combat ends, or they hit negative 10.

Chris
Chris
Nelkie
Town Member
Town Member

I See

Post by Nelkie »

Chris,

In the rule rewrite it did not say the warrior did not bleed to death until you reach determination.

Rule 4 - Can one block with a shield and still keep the charge?
My Thoughts

Aaron
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

Questions:

2 - what is the definition of "hit"? I can invision someone brushing someone's arm and saying they should lose their charge, or throwing an arm on a shoulder, shaking hands, etc. I would support any "called effect" including "0" damage (to avoid having to kill someone). A more realistic idea is any damaging effect, since someone may or may not be distracted by a "fear" (since now you can be immune, but I get there in a sec)

4 - what about a shield? And this really makes backstab a non-combat skill, aka useless since nerve pinch is far more useful in a non combat atmosphere.

12 & 13 - Ok, as if these skills weren't bad enough as is. Now, if you choose to use either skill, you have commited yourself to die (with the potion changes). Since you cannot run with either skill (though Berserk does not say this), as soon as you try to run you will be summarily beat down and dropped to a point of unhealable as you are crawling. Warrior combet will become like everyone else, ie your fall unconscious at 0, thus avoiding further damage since generally people stop hitting you once you fall. If you don't you take too much damage and are unable to run away. Before, at least you had the option to run whhich was the only use of those two skills anyway. The chances of either ever being used are again reduced, so the only skill a warrior gets at master that is worth anything is Parry. Everyone else gets at least two useful skills.

15 - what is meant by "resisted by armor"? Is this still the old if I hit you wear you have armor thing? Problem is if say the only open location is high on the chest or low stomach, chances for head and/or groin shots increase as you are almost aiming for those areas.

31 - Totem, so I build up to it, find out it doesn't offer anything I want and now I've just wasted two events... Kind of like gambling but with character points instead of money. That was the reason for asking.

35 - Warcry needs to have the "one" removed then. That skill also becomes very powerful. Group immunity to fear for a combat is by far the best 2nd level skill.

I again have to state that berserk and endurance are coming closer and closer to the realm of why have them at all since they only complicate going into negatives. I'd rather see them replaced entirely. Falling on the ground and pretending to be unconsious is better for staying alive in the long run. I have yet to see a combat where 3 seconds of avoiding death (dealing 9-12 damage) would change the outcome.
GM_Chris
GM

RE

Post by GM_Chris »

Number 4 aaron
We did not talk about it in our meeting specifically, but I would say you that being hit by a shield would constitute being interrupted. Last thing I need is an impath hiding behind a big shield throwing booms.

I dissagree tat without being able to block with a shield backstab becomes worthless especially since Eric does not use a shield and backstabs my monsters all the time. Backstab is supose to be a VERY sneaky type skill not the forward run up block twist to get behind a person hit back skill. The reason you get extra damage is the RP of surprise no because it is a back shot.

12, 13
I still disagree that these are worthless skills. You are right that most monsters will leave you alone after you drop, BUT PC's wont! We want people leaving combat prior to going into negatives anyways not runing away with a leg torn out and your inards on the ground.

As for the comment that you only get 1 worthwhile skill, well I guess I will have to take away your armor % increase skill. PTTTT

Warriors are suppose to be tanks that swing a weapon and even witht he changes they do this ALOT better than anyone else.

Chris
Chris
Peace420
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Peace420 »

OOH OOH MY TURN MY TURN!!!

The only thing I don't really like is the interruption thing, I agree that it should be damaging effect or 0 damage call.

Please clarify:

2) I assume this includes the assasin verpal nerpal which makes it now the chodiest of the 4th level disciplines.

9) Does this mean that they don't get special skills anymore. If so good, that stun thing was confusing as hell anyway.

19) EEWW!! this is gonna be really nasty, Maybe you should look at the healer bonus affecting poison cures. Swashbuckler with an assasin friend can kill ANYONE with 1 vorpal poison 5. True a warrior may be able to parry it but only if he is hit from the front.

22) Is this the spell with the resist effect call?

27) Please clarify disarm, is it crush? does it have to hit you or your weapon? If it is crush or has to hit your weapon then this doesn't really make sense.
Death=Adder

One of these days...I'm going to cut you into little pieces...

~Pink Floyd~
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

Who needs an assasin friend? Just be both. :D
Trevor Owen
GM

Replies:

Post by Trevor Owen »

2) Why would assasin be more choded out than empath, rogue, or archer? An empath sits there charging for a minute, and somebody throws a knife or a rock, and they lose the charge. An assassin is no worse off. Besides, if an assassin is doing his job he won't be seen charging in the first place.

9) Special skill was only for a certain group of them, it was a miscommunication on my part because of a plot being run at the time. Elves - light and dark - will gain the bonus to boom normally.

19) Yes, poisons are nasty and people should not like those who use poisons. That does not mean it will be easy to make high level poisons, just possible.

22) Yes the spell with the resist effect call has been removed.

27) Before, you could not block disarm with parry, thus the disarm-taunt combination was deadly and choded everyone out. Now you can parry a disarm using parry when the disarm hits you. We came to the conclusion that a disarm can work on you by hitting you or your weapon. For example, I can slash your arm open and make you drop your sword, or I can perform a 6-2-4 bind when you are attempting a reposte and pull your weapon from your hand. Parry can be called at either time.

12 and 13) These skills are way powerful. You gain the ability to keep fighting with no time limit for another ten hit points past the point where everyone else drops. The more advanced one even gives you an extra point of damage during the time you are in negatives. There is no time restriction on recovery, other than returning to possitive life, and yes that means either having really good healing potions, or a good healer on hand. You still out-fight everyone else, and begin your count only after combat ends and you begin determination. You can crawl and count at the same time, you cannot fight and count at the same time.
Master of witless lore and red herrings
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

Just for note the master warrior armor bonus is only 1-4 armor points. Going from 30 to 27 isn't a big deal. :D

And what's the difference between hiding behind a warrior and hiding behind a shield?

Here's the issue with berserk. You want to make the bag more prevelant, thus making potions less useful negatives. However, by giving the warrior a skill that makes it beneficial to go into deep negatives you've just made a skill where he has to do the thing we as players avoid like the plague. These two changes are leaning in opposite directions.

Typical combat happens. You use berserk, you are fighting something tough. More than likely you'll both be swinging at each other a lot. You fall after 4 hits (you both are swinging 3). In the process of falling after berserk you take another 9 damage, typical (just barely missing the assured chip draw with 2 3hp cures). Now you have to hope and pray the guy you are fighting walks away (ie you don't crawl) or else you take more damage (which ensures a chip draw and more than likely will result in death).

Trying to make negatives lucrative for a warrior while at the same time making negatives scarier to be in just doesn't make any sense.
Last edited by dier_cire on Thu Jan 08, 2004 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WayneO42
GM

Re: Rule Changes

Post by WayneO42 »

Nelkie wrote:Rule 17: With this rule a phazed person can not phaze through a cieling.
17) Phase goes through barriers, including magic barriers. Can walk back and forward over the ground and cross pit-traps while phased without falling.

We kind of talked about phasing through ceilings a bit at the meeting. I think they can. In my opinion, they can phase through something (Including the floor) if there is a spot for them to come out (within in a few feet) and they concentrate on it. They wouldn't fall through a pit trap because they wouldn't be concentrating on falling through it.
Nelkie wrote: Rule 30: Will the time for field repairs be lessened under the new system?
We didn't talk about that. We tabled it until next meeting which is going to be devoted entirely to the crapsman...er I mean craftsman and perm. item creation.
Wayne O
The Game Master Lite
Frag the weak, Hurdle the dead!
The Jackal
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Post by The Jackal »

17) Phase goes through barriers, including magic barriers. Can walk back and forward over the ground and cross pit-traps while phased without falling.

We kind of talked about phasing through ceilings a bit at the meeting. I think they can. In my opinion, they can phase through something (Including the floor) if there is a spot for them to come out (within in a few feet) and they concentrate on it. They wouldn't fall through a pit trap because they wouldn't be concentrating on falling through it.
WAYNE-O

My opinion counts for nothing in this, but the fact that you will read it..MUAHAHHAA!

Phasing through a horizontal "couple-a-feet" I have no problem with believing. Whether it be magical or non. What I have a problem with dealing with is that you could climb on a roof phase through it and continue on your merry path of distruction or whatever. If I was a GM and someone came to me with their well laid out plan of " Okay first I phased through the ceiling....."
I would be like.....

"No prob, you breezed through that ceiling, way to go champ! Now deal with the 7+ foot drop to the floor. Whats that? Not gonna be so stealthy at that? Pity."

And why not fall through a pit trap. They didn't know it was there and went a phasing away. Hopefully it is not where they decide to rematerialize.

Does gravity effect a person phased?

Is there gravity in Final Haven? ;)

Later ya'll,
food for thought..........eat up
Nelkie
Town Member
Town Member

more

Post by Nelkie »

Rule 17 - The phase through a ceiling. My suggestion is to keep it simple. you can only phase on the horizontal plane and can not phaze verticaly. This will only allow you to go through walls. If you are stuck in a pit trap you can not phase up through the closed door. ANothor question. what happens to the equipment on the phazed person? A point was made one can phaze through bonds. How is this possible. I see phaze as everything on your person phazes with you.

Rule 12- Ok I agree with eric. Beserk and Endurance are very dangerous skills to use. The best heal potion at this time is +4 life potion and it takes a 4th level alchmist to make and 24 hours. It is very expensive. If you use any of the negative warrior skills a healer needs to be near by to heal the warrior or they will bleed to death. The +1 damage while beserk is no different than raging while in postives. Negatives are very scary and nobody including a warrior wants to be in them. The next scary thing is a warrior in negatives can't use his parry skill and must watch out for backstabs, and empath boom effects. going from -4 to -34 is easy to do with an empath around. I see beserk and edurance as a desperate action to save a friend or protect the escape of people, but at a very likely chance of the warrior bleeding to death when combat is over.
A smart warrior would leave combat after his armor is distroyed and is taking life point damge. There is realy no big advantage to use beserk or endurance unless there is no other choice.
My suggestion is to remove beserk, place endurance at 3rd level and have it as a warrior can run around while bleeding to death, but can not fight or use any other skill. 2nd level add +1 minute to bleed to death, and add crtical strike at 3rd level, for a 5 count swing 5 damage for the next attack. Charge rules as per backstab.

Rule 2 & 4. Charging, here is my take on charge skills. While charging a person can not move (This includes blocking with shields or weapons, but if a blow does hit a shield or weapon the charge is unafected), say anything, and if hit with any effect, fear, a spell, damage, 0 damage, stun, lash, posion, etc they loose the charge effect and must start over again. Being hit with an effect means the effect must effect ones armor, costume, hit points, or be a crush type effect (spells, empath booms)
Now once charged the person can block with there shields, weapons, but if hit with an effect they lose the charge.
Note: While charged no other skills, defense, or ability can be used or the charge is lost. aka I have a nerve pinch charged up and get hit with a fear effect and I use resist fear, I loose my nerve pinch and must recharge.
Keep it simple and allow a charged person have some defense against on coming attacks. Back stab is hard to use in battle as it is, don't make it even harder.

(By the way can I help it if I can fight with a shield and wrap around and back stab a person while I'm standing in front of them. Solution, hit me while I'm charging and you will not have to worry about it. Don't penilze everyone else just because a couple people can side step and counter attack in combat)
My Thoughts

Aaron
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

2 & 4 - Nelkie and I were conversing and agreed to avoid cheese, while charging any hit on the shield or the weapon would also break the charge.

BTW as it stands now, Ka could easily kill the master (assuming he's not outside the rules system) even if he could hold 12 charges of 30 booms, since all I need is a bag of rocks... No empath can do anything since one rock tossed over the warrior line will break a charge.