A long Winter

Townsmen with the shakes huddle around the glowing embers of what may have been a roaring fire. Speak quick, lest thee be to long in the open!

Moderator: Admin

Marcus
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Marcus »

A figure strode along the road through the forest towards Woodhaven, a clear tunnel seemingly carved from the deep somber rows of soldier pines that filled this area of Haven. Their foliage, far overhead, stood as the only color against the winter snow carpeting the land, save for the crystal blue glint of a small lake far off and downhill to the east, shining occasionally through the ranks of dark trunks.

The man, as it appeared, was of small to middling size, though some of that probably came from a thick bearskin cloak and the black and blue lacquered plate he wore from head to toe. The black was broken only by a stark white tabard, emblazoned with a blue figure ascendant below an arc of stylized sun-rays.

In his hand he carried a great steel-shod warhammer, with a dire-wolf's tail hung from the pommel, and he wore a travelling pack upon his back. As he walked, he could be heard humming to himself.

Soon he came to the protective timber wall of Woodhaven, and the man looked about himself. Barely even six feet tall and of sharpened pine logs, they weren't nearly as thick, or even a third as tall as the stone walls he dimly remembered the ancient Castle Gravesbane being surrounded by, but they looked just as functional as they needed to be to keep people secure in these dark times. Several small holdings and farms were scattered without, and most of the building he had been told was deemed 'the hospital' could be seen over the wall, it's chimneys smoking up into the winter air.

He stopped a short distance from the single small gate leading inside the palisade, and after setting the head of his hammer to the snowy ground at his side, he reached up and removed his great helm. Rows of braided hair were pulled tightly into a ponytail, and the bushy sideburns along his jawline betrayed Guthrie blood- though he must have been half-human at the very least by his height. In opposition to the brooding black helmet now tucked under one arm, his face bore no ill will when he cupped a hand to his mouth.

"Hello, the gate! I say, is there anyone inside?"
-Evil always prevails when good people do nothing.

-All knight, every night.
Smitty19
GM

Post by Smitty19 »

*Serith looks up hearing a voice he recognizes

"Marcus?"

*Serith smiles at this long forgotten traveling companion that brought him to Far Reach and Caledonia.

"Well look at you, far cry from the lonely blacksmith's apprentice way back when, Your a Knight now huh?"

*Serith walks over and grasps Marcus' hand

"You look like a tin can now, but still have the hammer I see!"
Serith Darkheart

"I dont make Threats....Only Promises"
Marcus
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Marcus »

Marcus gives a big grin as Serith opens the gate.

"Hah! Serith, it's good to see a friendly face! When I heard that some moody half-elf was taking care of this place- at least when he wasn't out blasting everything in sight that looked at him cockeyed...you know, this little birdie just came to me and gave me the inkling you had made it back to Haven with the rest."

He moves forward to clasp the outstretched arm and suddenly with surprising strength pulls Serith forwards into a hug. A one armed hug, anyeway, because Serith would notice that the other hand remains firmly on the warhammer, even though it's held quite peacefully at his side.

He pulls away and looks down thoughtfully at himself when Serith mentions the plate and tabard and laughs at himself bit and gives a bow.

"Yeah, that's me- 'Sir Marcus Gideon, honorable brother of the Order of the Hearth-Knights and sworn enemy of evil', at your service. *he grins*

I guess I'm not really so much of a country bumpkin anymore, am I. It just took some soul-searching, and a good cause, I guess.

But I figured it's been nearly four years, and it was pretty high time to come back home. Protocol says that normally I'd have gone straight to meet whoever is in charge around here to announce myself, but I just had to see a familiar face after so long.

I'm also not a blacksmith anymore, aside from what you might call some "hammer work". I found my calling in healing others now, so I figured I would kill two birds and offer any help you can use, seeing as this place is a hospital."

Smitty19
GM

Post by Smitty19 »

*Serith Smiles at Marcus' description of him.

"Yeah that is pretty much me to a T..."

*Serith smiles as wide as anyone has seen him in the past few months, and looks generally happy to be talking with a friend.

"It is great to see you, and with the Resident Paladin MIA, we REALLY could use a talented healer here at the Hospital!"
Serith Darkheart

Marcus
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Marcus »

I certainly wouldn't mind helping in any way I can.

I'm a much more capable fighter than a bellows boy who got lucky and surprised an elf with a hammer that was lying in the corner.

Laylah
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Post by Laylah »

Lailah smiles widely as she walks through the gate into Woodhaven and sees Marcus. "Hey there! It is good to see you again!" Moving towards the group, she nods to Serith and gestures to herself lightly. "Paladin healer right here my friend." She laughs. "Your poor nose really has been in a book this whole winter hasn't it? I tend to the hospital, and to the people of the town as best I can. I also teach most of the students, er, well, troops now as some would like to call them. I know its been ruff for you, having the main support of this town dropped onto your shoulders, but I assure you, I am here to help whenever you need it."

She smiles but almost as quick as it came, it left. "I actually came here for a reason. The people that were dwelling in Castle Gravesbane are now, as we all know, without a place to sleep. I think that Woodhaven would be a good place to have people come, if only for a little while. Korrigan said the inn can only hold so many. I feel it is best we all be as concentrated as possible, especially during a time like this. What do you think?" She gazes at him a bit sheepishly, almost as if she is nervous just to speak up.

Laylah Elora

Community Welfare Director and Hospital/ Orphanage Administrator of Woodhaven.

-Ad astra per aspera-
Smitty19
GM

Post by Smitty19 »

*A look of embarrassment crosses Serith's features

"I am so Sorry Laylah, I dont know where my heads been, you must have been doing such a good job taking care of everyone, that I thought we needed a healer because I hadnt heard of any problems..."

*A smile crosses his face

"I know between the two of you, Woodhaven will be in great hands."

*Turning to Laylah

"I have already pledged support and land to the Town, but Korrigan said that he has it in hand. I don't know what his overall plans are, but the offer for temporary shelter has already been made."
Serith Darkheart

Rothek
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Rothek »

"korgan and quen going to build houses"

:rothek said as he emerged from the tree line:

"also have steamy and stumpy but more needed to help build"
Rothek HowlingFang
Den-father of the Howling Fang tribe.
friend and ally of the dwarves of Killeshandra.
Laylah
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Post by Laylah »

Lailah smiles much less inhibited. "That is excellent! I must have been so busy running around I made myself un-aware of it."

She shakes her head and gathers herself. "Well, if they need help, they will surely have it. I will go and see if I can get any more men from both towns. I may not be able to lift too much, but I am fair with most tools."

She moves up towards the door giving rothek a quick pat as she walks by. With a wave and a smile she is off. "Have a fair evenin gentlemen."
Laylah Elora

Community Welfare Director and Hospital/ Orphanage Administrator of Woodhaven.

-Ad astra per aspera-
Marcus
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Marcus »

Marcus puts his hand to his chest and bows.

"And to you, fair lady."

Rothek
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Rothek »

Rothek shook sending the bits of fallen snow that had gathered on his fur zinging in every direction

"rothek will help too, but first go back to tippy traveler, many meet there."

The beastman follows laylah and heads back toward the inn.[/list]
Rothek HowlingFang
Den-father of the Howling Fang tribe.
friend and ally of the dwarves of Killeshandra.