Season's Turn


A cold bed and a warm ale. Blood stains the walls, but it looks like the Bar Keep is standing...for once.

Moderator: Admin

User avatar

New in Town
New in Town

Posts: 7

Joined: Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:26 am

Location: Chicago, IL

Post Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:19 pm

Season's Turn

Mira steps out onto the porch of the Inn, taking a deep breath of crisp air. Sure, these last few nights had been cold (so cold in fact that she missed having another person to share her bed with), but the pairing of the geese and the moss on the trees hinted that spring was here. She took another deep breath before going back into the Inn.

It'd been a mild winter comparatively speaking, but the last few pounds of winter weight still clung to her bones, and her leathers felt tighter than ever (though the more lecherous men in town didn't seem to mind). She scoffed at her own laziness. The winter had not brought much in the way of exercise and sport, nor jobs for that matter. She was out of shape, and in desperate need of an adventure. Not that she hadn't thanked her lucky stars for finding a more peaceful town than what she'd been used to Wintering in, but it lulled her into a false sense of ease. And that just would not do.

She needed to train. Needed to fight. Needed to blot more evil from this world. It was not a mere want...but a NEED...the desire for ridding evil from the world clawed at her insides like a rat in a sack being held over a flame. It ate at her.

She dropped a coin on the bar-top and reached behind it to grab a bottle that looked like water, though she knew better than to trust looks alone. Unsure of its contents, she took a ginger sip, only to spit it back out in the sink when the alcoholic liquid burned at the back of her throat. Cursing softly, she searched for another bottle, and found success. She gulped down the bottle of rose water happily, penning a note for the Town Postings board. When it was done, she pinned the note to the board, right next to her "MAGE-HUNTER FOR HIRE--Inquire with Mira" advertisement.

It read... "Join me at noon on the Half-Moon for sparring and raucous sport with wooden weapons and hand-to-hand combat! Challenge your friends and see how long you can last in the ring! Bring food and drink and strength to share!"

She merely looked at the ad and smirked as she drank her rose water. This should wake up the town from its hibernation, she thought.
Slayer of Sorcerers and Decimator of Diaberie
User avatar

Town Member
Town Member

Posts: 79

Joined: Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:09 am

Post Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:17 pm

Re: Season's Turn

Mahto sits quietly in the corner, his bulky arms crossed in front of his chest. He eyes Mira carefully as she puts up the sign and indulges herself with drink. He gets up slowly and concentrates on the letter with all his might. He turns and looks around the bar,

"Can anybody read this to me please?"

His face stays similar, not embarrassed to ask, he's over the can't read jokes at this point.
Mahto Snowbringer:
Commodore of Haven's Royal Navy
Commandant of Haven's Marine Force
Leader of The Savage Phoenix Tribe and their village of Dar’dakous
Captain of "The Chimera"

“Fortune Favors the Brave."
User avatar

New in Town
New in Town

Posts: 9

Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:57 pm

Post Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:16 pm

Re: Season's Turn

Finn walks up to Mahto and glances at the note while reading it to him. "Looks like Mira is challenging people to sparring. Basically she's going to draw a ring about 15 feet in diameter so you all can get sweaty and gross together to figure out whose the best fighter slash hugger?"

She pats Mahto on the back with a quick smile "hopefully that helps..." Quickly turning around to follow Mira to a table, "HEY MIRA YOU BETTER SHARE THAT WITH ME!"

Finn sits with Mira and takes a swig out of her bottle, "what is this stuff? It has a peculiar flavor?"
User avatar

New in Town
New in Town

Posts: 7

Joined: Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:26 am

Location: Chicago, IL

Post Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:30 pm

Re: Season's Turn

Mira glares at Finn as she steals a gulp of Mira's rose water. She sighs, more than a little used to Finn's antics by now. She rolls her eyes, taking the bottle back from Finn and continues to sip it with a semi-sour expression.

"I'm not personally challenging anybody," she corrects in her smooth accent. "The point is to wake up this town and have fun by getting some fresh air and exercise."

She gave Finn a sly smirk, "Yes, that means spending time with friends. We want raucous laughter and cheering. The point is to spar and fight, and dirty fighting is allowed, but there are rules...barbarism is not welcome."
Slayer of Sorcerers and Decimator of Diaberie
User avatar

Town Member
Town Member

Posts: 86

Joined: Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:29 pm

Post Sun Apr 10, 2016 5:13 pm

Re: Season's Turn

Khorvalis, who is quietly in the corner counting candies he has made for the orphans of Brennondale, hears the conversation before him and gently raises an eyebrow before addressing his crew-mate:

"Mahto, this 'raucous' seems right up your alley." The old druid stows his candies in his leather satchel.

"Alas, I am much too venerable to partake in such sport. But will you represent and show the beautiful Mage-huntress the battle prowess of our people?"

The Hierophant rises from his chair and makes his way to the Ga'vin sailor and places his scarred hand upon his friend's shoulder, "So... Mahto, are you and your sword up for Mira's challenge?"

Khorvalis smiles at his comrade from the Redwind and then smiles again at Mira and Finn.

"I know of some dozen or so wee lasses and lads who would surely cheer you on. The children of the orphanage would be elated by such a spectacle. The winter has been too long and they would be delighted to spend a spring afternoon watching some Heroes of Haven test their mettle!"
~Khorvalis~
Druid of the Redwind
Hierophant of the Circle of the Sun
Follower of the Light and Keeper of the Sacred Flame

"Nothing brings me more happiness than trying to help the most vulnerable people in society. It is a goal and an essential part of my life - a kind of destiny. Whoever is in distress can call on me. I will come running wherever they are."
User avatar

GM

Posts: 1115

Joined: Sun Apr 03, 2005 4:55 pm

Post Sun Apr 10, 2016 5:40 pm

Re: Season's Turn

The Valkyn'Vi woman in the purple robe emerges from behind the bar. In each hand, she carries a drink. In her right, a dark, purplish liquid and in the left, a bright orange liquid that transforms to red color that is nestled at the bottom of the cup.

She walks to the table where the old Ga'Vin man had been sitting, and places the glass of orange and red liquid beside the candies. She walks to woman with the dark feathers, and without looking at her, thrusts the glass of the purple liquid toward her.
User avatar

Town Member
Town Member

Posts: 79

Joined: Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:09 am

Post Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:23 pm

Re: Season's Turn

Mahto's face remains passive as Finn reads him the note, and Khorvalis talks to him. The jerks his shoulder away slightly when the Druid touches him out of instinct, it is a small move, not meant to be rude - but noticed all the same.

"When I was young I was trained to fight those with magic as well...perhaps it would be an interesting match. I have no idea whether or not I will be here though...I could be pulled into duty at any time." He turns to Mira and Finn and lets a rare smile crack across his face, "The real questions are how will we be fighting, and are you up to the task?"
Mahto Snowbringer:
Commodore of Haven's Royal Navy
Commandant of Haven's Marine Force
Leader of The Savage Phoenix Tribe and their village of Dar’dakous
Captain of "The Chimera"

“Fortune Favors the Brave."
User avatar

Town Member
Town Member

Posts: 57

Joined: Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:11 pm

Post Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:12 am

Re: Season's Turn

Morgause giggles softly from behind her stark white mask as she see's the brawny Ga'vin flinch at the druid's innocent pat on the shoulder.

The Valkin'vi Seer returns her gaze to her crystal ball for a moment but then turns to the direction of Mahto and Mira.

In a calm voice she says, "I think your sparring session should take place in the morning, right outside. In the grassy field between the tavern and the fire pit. That sounds like a place as good as any. The townsfolk, I'm sure, would all gather 'round to see you... and perhaps others, as you all show off your prowess in battle."

The Winter Witch adjusts her crystal ball and then saunters to the note posted by the half-elf and reads it intently.

When she is done, Morgause flicks her long raven locks over her shoulder and addresses Khorvalis.

"But why limit your sport to the use of just blades? The mock battle should allow all skills available to the participant, magic included? Don't you agree Khorvalis? That would be a spectacle that people would pay for." Morgause's forehead jewel glows brightly as the Seer is excited about her idea.

But then she digresses for a moment. "Hmnnn..."

The Valkin'vi Seer makes her way across the room, nodding at Kami as she passes her silent kinswoman. Morgause then stares Mahto up and down before meandering next to Mira. She stands behind the half-elven maiden and smiles.

"I have always valued beauty over brawn. I would be willing to wager 5 copper on this sparring match. My favor rests on Mira. I have seen her skill in battle; quick, efficient and ravishing to behold on the battlefield. Would you be willing to bet against me, old friend?" Morgause looks coyly at Khorvalis.

"Do you think your Ga'vin comrade can best this beautiful mage-huntress?"
"I will love the light for it shows me the way, yet I will endure the darkness because it shows me the stars."

Lady Morgause - The Winter Witch
Daughter of the An'Irri & Oracle of the Weather Tradition
Chamberlain of the Guild of Seekers
User avatar

Town Member
Town Member

Posts: 86

Joined: Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:29 pm

Post Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:49 am

Re: Season's Turn

The old druid stutters at the Valkin'vi's suggestion.

"Uh.. I do not underestimate the skills of Mahto nor Mira, Bu.. but my dear, I am not the kind to wager what little coin I posses."

Khorvalis leaves Mahto's side and returns to his table and quickly downs the colorful drink prepared by Kami.

"The few silver and copper I have would be best put to use in buying supplies for the orphanage or medicines to heal patients in our hospital. 5 copper is much too steep a price for one such as I."

The druid puts away the remaining candies resting atop his table then turns to Mira.

"But I think Morgause here is correct, your test of mettle should allow each combatant to make use of any powers at their disposal. Sword, staff, spell or otherwise. Given such, I am sure more heroes like yourselves would be eager to partake in the spectacle."
~Khorvalis~
Druid of the Redwind
Hierophant of the Circle of the Sun
Follower of the Light and Keeper of the Sacred Flame

"Nothing brings me more happiness than trying to help the most vulnerable people in society. It is a goal and an essential part of my life - a kind of destiny. Whoever is in distress can call on me. I will come running wherever they are."
User avatar

Town Member
Town Member

Posts: 57

Joined: Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:11 pm

Post Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:06 am

Re: Season's Turn

The Winter Witch giggles once more. "Fine old man, I knew your answer would be as such. You are just in your rationale and the people of Brennondale surely appreciate the efforts of your ministry. Save your coin for them Khorvalis."

Morgause's jewel begins to pulsate as an idea fills the Seer's head, "But, perhaps there is a way for a spectacle such as this to aide you and your Circle of the Sun..."

The Valkin'vi woman lefts her finger and taps her chin in contemplation. Khorvalis leans forward awaiting Morgause's next words.

"Here's a thought, Hierophant: If all goes well between this first match between Mira and Mahto, why not organize a larger spectacle with more participants sometime in the future? Hopeful combatants eager to test their skill could pay a fee to join. Spectators could also bet on who would win in the final match. Then when all is said and done, whatever funds were raised... they could be split between the victor and the rest donated to the ministries of the Circle of the Sun?"

The Seer returns her hand to her hip and shifts her weight. Morgause scans the room and sizes up the motley crew of adventurers gathered in the tavern. "We have plenty of capable combatants in town that might be willing to gain some coin and prestige as well as help out the less fortunate..."

Morgause's smile grows even wider. "What a wonderful idea, don't you agree Khorvalis?"
Last edited by Morgause on Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I will love the light for it shows me the way, yet I will endure the darkness because it shows me the stars."

Lady Morgause - The Winter Witch
Daughter of the An'Irri & Oracle of the Weather Tradition
Chamberlain of the Guild of Seekers
User avatar

Town Member
Town Member

Posts: 86

Joined: Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:29 pm

Post Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:16 am

Re: Season's Turn

Khorvalis tries to take another sip from Kami's cup but realizes there is no more libation left.

He ponders the Seer's suggestion for a moment.

"That indeed, my child, is a novel and superb idea! Not only will it be a way to lift the spirits of those in town, but the proceeds will most definitely help those who need it. Aside from our ministries at the orphanage, hospital and communal farm, I have been thinking of a way to raise coin to fashion tourniquets and medicinal bags to aid the Heroes of Haven as they fight the forces of evil. We have lost too many a good friend in this never-ending battle!"

The scarred Ga'vin looks to Finn, "See Seraphina, our prayers have been answered! Our healers will be more effective on the battlefield. You and the others in the Circle will now be able to save more lives!"

Khorvalis hobbles over to Mira and Morgause and graciously shakes their hands in humble deference and appreciation. "Thank you, the Circle thanks you all! I will get working on it as quickly as I can."

The old druid is suddenly filled with an exuberance that is uncommon for someone of his advanced age.

"I shall call it the Tournament of the Sun!"
~Khorvalis~
Druid of the Redwind
Hierophant of the Circle of the Sun
Follower of the Light and Keeper of the Sacred Flame

"Nothing brings me more happiness than trying to help the most vulnerable people in society. It is a goal and an essential part of my life - a kind of destiny. Whoever is in distress can call on me. I will come running wherever they are."

Return to The Inn

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 2 guests

cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group

Designed by ST Software for PTF.