A Cold Day at the Inn

A cold bed and a warm ale. Blood stains the walls, but it looks like the Bar Keep is standing...for once.

Moderator: Admin

Kayla
Site Admin
Site Admin

A Cold Day at the Inn

Post by Kayla »

The inn door swings open, blowing cold wind through the room and making the fire flicker.

After several calls of "Close the door!" a man staggers through into the inn. His face is entirely wrapped in black cloth, not even his eyes showing. He has a large shield and a longsword strapped to his back, and a second sword on his belt. He is wearing very thick armor, but it looks to be dented and broken in most places. Upon closer inspection, you can see that his clothing is in tatters, and that he has deep cuts covering every visible part of his body. Fumbling through his bag, he grabs a small vial of bright green liquid and drinks it. He makes it a few more steps into the room before collapsing on the floor with a gasp.

As he lays on the floor, you can see the unmistakable shape of elven ears through the head wrap.
Xil Zymasi, Crew of the Red Wind // Dakkon Wrynn, Dark Elf Outcast

Feel free to PM me if you have any forum/website questions/issues. I can take care of them for you.
Also, note that although my name is red, I am not a GM and therefore cannot answer logistical questions (such as rules) definitively. That said, I'll certainly try to help!
Kaylan Chargeender
Town Member
Town Member

Re: A Cold Day at the Inn

Post by Kaylan Chargeender »

*Kaylan glances up as the razor sharp gust races through the inn, the dwarfs eyes tracked the dark figure until it settled on the floor. His eyes went back to the stack of papers and ledger in front of him, as his hand traded the hammer he returned to the table for the quill across the papers.*

"Sorry... that spot on the floor is a deaf elf free zone....you will have to move that body or at least indicate who you are so we...and by we I obviously mean me... don't make the jest reality."

*The battle worn and calloused hands dive back into the parchments, every so often darting to push the spectacles back up the bridge of the dwarfs round nose.*

"Besides Kami just cleaned that. So she wont heal you if you make it soiled, she will just animate you and make zombie you clean it again."

*Kaylan grumbles with a soft chuckle and a grin of self amusement.*
Last edited by Kaylan Chargeender on Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sir Kaylan Chargeender
Knight of the Order of the Crimson Aegis
Kayla
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Kayla »

The elf slowly pushes himself to his feet, his hands glowing a faint red. His wounds look less severe than they did minutes ago.

Slowly he turns his gaze to Kaylan. You don't feel like he is staring at you, more like staring past you. "I appreciate your concern for the floor, however as long as I breathe I can take care of myself and not bleed on it." His voice doesn't sound like any other Elven voice you've heard, it sounds much colder and crueler.

His strange gaze scans the room. Everyone he looks at feels unnerved. "I encountered several bandits on the way in, if you could not tell. They were cowardly, using captives as shields. I struck a few of them down, but there were too many and they mobbed me."

He goes to a table and removes his armor, pulling out a repair kit and starting to work. Again, you can see the unmistakable outline of pointy ears through his head wrap, but if you look close you can only see one...

Feel free to PM me if you have any forum/website questions/issues. I can take care of them for you.
Also, note that although my name is red, I am not a GM and therefore cannot answer logistical questions (such as rules) definitively. That said, I'll certainly try to help!
Kaylan Chargeender
Town Member
Town Member

*Kaylan's eyes dart up sharply*

"Bandits? Do they still have captives?!"

*Kaylan drops the forms and quills, his hands diving into the gloves on the table as he stands and reaches for both shield and hammer. The knight moves swiftly around the table, scanning the room for a healer.*

"I will ask that you tell or show me where this happened, if need be I have elixirs to mend your wounds and a unique salve to partially repair your armor if you feel the need. I am duty bound to free any citizens and ....educate any brigands about the laws...and punishments in Haven."

* He turns to have the concealed stranger, gazing down at him as the elf works*

"I will warn that should you be bait for a trap set by Havens enemies, 10 times the coin you were paid for the job will not be enough to find all your parts for burial..."

*Kaylan observes and waits for a reply*
Last edited by Kaylan Chargeender on Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sir Kaylan Chargeender
Kayla
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Kayla »

The elf chuckles. "That got you moving." He sets down his hammer, his armor looking as good as new. "I do not know if the captives still live, but I am more than willing to show you where they ambushed me. I do enjoy revenge now and again."

He pauses for a second, looking over his wounds ... or where they once were. "I am mostly a warrior, but I am also a capable healer. If anything should befall us while fighting these men, I am confident that we can get out alive. But moreso than that, I am a man of my word..." He slowly removes his headwrap. Where you would expect to see pale elven skin is actually skin darker than some Ga'Vin, and he only has one pointed ear. Where the other should be is a ragged scar. His mouth curves up in the shape of a grin as he finishes his sentence, "Unlike my kin." he pauses again "I assure you that I am not trying to lead you to a trap. I am no longer welcome in the realms of the Dark Elves," he gestures towards his missing ear "So why would I desire to be unwelcome within this kingdom as well?"

Kaylan Chargeender
Town Member
Town Member

"Indeed. With the king in Blackwatch and the queen on her way there, the protection of the havenites in the wildlands and the progress and security of the kingdoms goals and interests, falls to me."

*Craning his neck to get a better view of the elf as the wrappings let the light fall on black skin, Kaylan takes a small step back as if seeing some unknown beast. The hammer in his right hand floats to a angle to allow for quick defense*

" What...manner of ...elf ..are you?!"

*The word elf seeming more question than statement. Kaylan pauses with great intent on the words of the black elf*
Last edited by Kaylan Chargeender on Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sir Kaylan Chargeender
Alinar
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Alinar »

Alinar sets his wine goblet down precisely and carefully closes his book with a velvet mark eloquently placed.

"Haven has chronicled dealings with Dark Elves in the past - to mutual benefit. Outcasts such as you. Trust is certainly possible, but not easily forthcoming, as I imagine you might understand."

He stands and nods to the new arrival. "I am Alinar Kelethriel of Sil'van'dar. How might we address you, and what purpose has delivered you to this humble domicile?"
Abaddon
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Abaddon »

An old man with a mask that looks like it has been fused together with broken glass. He has strange eyes and a long staff. He is sitting in a stool at the back of the in. The rings on his staff chime as the wind blows through. In two whote scarred hands he cradles a cup of tea hotter than the corona of the sun.

"Are you one of the Dark Elves that helped us over though the elves from this very spot?" He asked.
"I would only teach them Necromancy as part of a balanced breakfast."
Kayla
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Kayla »

The dark elf takes a step back as Kaylan raises his hammer, his hand floating to the sword on his hip. "I don't mean any trouble. I am called, in your tongue, a Dark Elf. My people are cruel and merciless, stalking hunters and ruthless killers. While I share many qualities with my people, the one I don't is cruelty. And that is why I am an outcast. Among my people, I am a traitor." He raises his hand to where his ear should be, "I am not welcome among the clans of the Dark Elves."

He looks to Alinar, "I am surprised that you even address me. Our people have never been accepting of one another." he pauses "For what it is worth, I am Dakkon Wrynn. I have been traveling for many moons, and have heard tales of the group of adventurers from Haven. I don't know what my purpose is just yet, but I am always seeking adventure. You mention dealings with Dark Elves in the past - when was this? Were they outcasts as well?"

He turns sideways, keeping an eye on Kaylan (and his hammer) but looking at the old man in the back of the inn, "I have never been to this place before. I have been an outcast for a long time..."

He looks back to Kaylan, "If you are willing to fight alongside me, we should probably go and find those bandits before any of your people are killed."

Zydana
GM

Post by Zydana »

*The Valkin'Vi in the purple robe appears in the kitchen doorway gripping a plate of food with both hands. She pays no mind to those in the inn as she walks by. Steam drifts from the plate as she carries it. The smell of boiled vegetables (particularly carrots and potatoes), and slices of warm, salted pork follow her across the room. She gently places the plate on the table in front of Abaddon. She then stands at his side, her hands clasped in one another in front of her, as she watches the floor in front of her feet.*
Mahto Snowbringer
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Mahto Snowbringer »

(Post as Faust, not as Mahto)
Faust sits silently in the corner, the young human is calmly scrawling in his journal. But, under his hood and behind his mask Faust eyes dart all over the Dark Elves body as if assessing his every action.
Mahto Snowbringer:
Commodore of Haven's Royal Navy
Commandant of Haven's Marine Force
Leader of The Savage Phoenix Tribe and their village of Dar’dakous
Captain of "The Chimera"

“Fortune Favors the Brave."
Alinar
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Alinar »

"My people have embraced more open minds of late. The adjustment is slow, disquieting, and not without opposition, but most necessary in my opinion."

"Dark Elf Outcasts were encountered by Haven very recently - within the last decade or two. Trade routes were established and they proved valuable military allies. However, I have not met them and am not aware of their current state of affairs, but such information should not be difficult to uncover."
Kaylan Chargeender
Town Member
Town Member

*Kaylan spins the hammer over his hand once and latches it into the strap on his left hip, a small grin creeping onto his lips*

"Well....Alinar hasn't magically roasted you, nor has Abaddon exploded your life force so...I guess you cant be too much of a threat currently. I would say a formal introduction is owed you. I am Kaylan Chargeender, Captain of the Royal Guard of King Korrigan of Haven, First Lord of the Vanguard Alliance; and Commandant of the Order of the Crimson Aegis knights. However that long string of blathering tires even me out, so its Lord Chargeender to most who don't know me and just Kaylan to those that do. Feel free to be the latter.
As long as you have no malice for the people here, feel free to find a place to fit in for as long as you will stay. I am sure you will find plenty to busy yourself and maybe feed your purse with."

*Kaylan crosses his arms and his face grows more serious*

"As for tracking down these brigands, I'm extremely eager to have a lengthy conversation about who they are employed by..." As Kami carries the hot food through the inn, the dwarfs eyes follow her and then drift briefly to the Valkin'Vi at table. Kaylan's glare lingers there a moment while he continues to speak, before looking back to Dakkon * "... we have been having an issue with such activity around here I am told. In fact I will ensure your either a reward from the kingdom or a healthy share of any spoils the thieves have...that cant be traced back to its proper owners that is."

*Kaylan turns to Alinar with a nod of familiar greeting*

" Alinar, would you care to come along? I cant imagine it wise to face off against elves that even the elves consider sinister...without some elven firepower of my own. Who knows, maybe you can rite some ancestral wrongs in the process."

*The dwarf captain turns a glance over his shoulder at Abaddons table*

"Kami, care to come along and add some of that very noteworthy healing and support I recently had the privilege of you dishing out? There might be injured citizens or travelers being held hostage from what Dakkon has said..."
Last edited by Kaylan Chargeender on Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sir Kaylan Chargeender
Abaddon
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Abaddon »

"Any criminals, let alone bandits in Brenondale that are dumb enough to take captive are not members of my organization and are not under my protections." The old man says looking into the warm cup of tea. "Criminals who can not follow the rules must be removed. Only one criminal empire allowed here and they have to abide by strict rules. Good luck with these monsters."
"I would only teach them Necromancy as part of a balanced breakfast."
Alinar
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Alinar »

"While Dakkon may prove himself in time, such time has hardly passed, Kaylan. The simplest of traps is to send one of your own into the midst of the enemy, declare their friends in trouble and in need of a hasty response, then lead them to a specific location perfect for the slaughter. If citizens are in danger, than a response is most certainly required, but care must be - "

Alinar sets his hands on the table before him and turns his head toward Abaddon.

"Did you just declare yourself in charge of an organization based in illicit activity - with the Captain of the Guard in audience?"