Sleepwalker

A cold bed and a warm ale. Blood stains the walls, but it looks like the Bar Keep is standing...for once.

Moderator: Admin

Smitty19
GM

Post by Smitty19 »

*Looks to Zeira

"First hand knowledge for me is limited, My clan revered the "Winged Serpent" and all we took from that learning was basic storys and legends. The Dragons of this area's names are different than that of my clans, but it is basically the same, We had the Shadow Serpent which I believe would be considered ED, and our Lady Sun Serpent was I believe Corel, and our Requis was called the Slumber Serpent... So as you can see even different cultures are pretty much tied in with the same aspects. Of course we had many more Serpents than these, but these are the ones that are of direct corelation."

*Looks to Dallid

"I agree that Phanterra won't implode, but as I have said, many years of ingrained dogma is hard to get past, but I am fully behind restoring them to their proper place in the "Food Chain" as it were."

"On the topic of bells, I also think it is a good idea, but I am weary that the bells would be used as a crutch, so any little things or problems the villagers have, as I said just a concern of mine, but I am all for getting something set up for the protection of the area, We are looking into similar ideas in Woodhaven, so if you would like I can share any breakthroughs we have."
Serith Darkheart

"I dont make Threats....Only Promises"
Dallid
Deceased

Post by Dallid »

"Any aid you can offer would certainly be appreciated. Undoubtedly the bells would prove too tempting for some of mischevous or selfish disposition, but the villages would be expected to punish those who ring them as a prank or for petty reasons. Perhaps they'll even make the bell off limits to all but a few. Regardless, a few false alarms will be worth a hightened response time for actual emergencies, I think."
Learn the past. Observe the present. Guide the future.
Marcus
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Marcus »

I'm doing my best to work with several of the communities I have had dealings with lately.

Mostly I've been traveling among them, doing my best to uphold the oaths I took to gain my station, but at the same time I have been doing my best to impress upon them the need for their own personal security.

I'm a lone man, and even together we "heroes" are never more than two-score at our best best, so we obviously can't be everywhere at once. I've been doing my best to establish a better network of communication among the townships, which I hope that along with alarm bells- which are a very good idea, Dallid- will allow us a greater chance to have militia already in place or at least nearby to take care of threats.

The people out there need to gain the confidence that even if they can't take care of a threat on their own, they can at least hold the line until we show up with military troops in proper to back them up. And the alarm bells don't even have to be for us all of the time- they can be used to call other local militia units in the area to where they are needed.
-Evil always prevails when good people do nothing.

-All knight, every night.
Zeira
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Zeira »

"Realy? Was Ed not evil? I believe Ed actually stood for 'Evil Dragon' if I'm not mistaken. Since the dragons have been captured what there have been no ill effects to us beyond the usual. There is no proof that supports that the dragons are tied to the fate of Phantara in any way."

"Freeing them seems irresponsible until we know more. There is actually no reason to release any dragons at this time until some of these theories can be proved."

"Proof and facts. These are the things we need and I think that is what I'm going to be hunting for."
Dallid
Deceased

Post by Dallid »

"'Evil' is a relative term. Ed was not his name, but a moniker denoted by the people of Haven. He *was* cetainly an anomoly , not only in wishing to enact significant change upon Phanterra - a cataclysm of his own - but also in dealing directly with mortals."

"Regardless, most of the other Dragons still did not interfere - no more than they did with the recent Red Tear-created cataclysm, the one caused by the imprisonment of Regis Mortem ages before, or the Gavin-portal cataclysm an age before that. They simply felt no need. Only Correl chose to oppose him - and to also work directly with mortals - making her quite an anomoly, herself."

"But your caution is certainly understandable, Zeira, for here the Dragons *have* been directly and negatively affected. One might even surmise some may emerge rather emotional because of it."

"However, the Dreaming has become all but naught for Requis's absence, and that is the only evidence I need to pursue the Dragons' freedom with all zeal."
Alice Tex
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Alice Tex »

Alice listened carefully as the others carried on. It was far too interesting conversation for her to concentrate on her smithing at the moment, so she took a moment to look into her journal. Written in Elvish and her own shorthand, her journal was a disgraceful mess of numbers and letters, but she seemed to breeze through the pages until she found the information she was looking for. "If my calculations are correct, a bell large enough to do the trick should take about 2 rolls of steel and few other supplies here and there (OOG: 2 steel and 3 supplies). That would be for one bell, so if we planned to make at least 2 or 3, it would cost little more than a few suits of steel armor." She smiled as she said this. It was a wonderful idea and she was happy to be a part of it.
"Pity the selfish, for they do not know charity...pity the cruel, for they do not know kindness...and pity the heartless, for they do not know love." ~ Alice
Dallid
Deceased

Post by Dallid »

Dallid archs an eyebrow and nods approvingly. "Not bad, at all! I should think this project is well worth its cost. Let us present it to the Regent and see if we cannot get it supplied, funded, and started quickly."
Marcus
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Marcus »

Marcus raises an eyebrow.

"I can see it as an interesting experiment, if we can afford the costs to make one. I still think we need to figure out a way to ensure better security for further-flung villages, though. Not everything will be in ear-shot, especially if we plan on growing in a healthy fashion.

I think I can find a way to get that information to her with best speed."

Zeira
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Zeira »

"What do you mean the Dreaming has been all but naught? I went there at the begining of the year. No dragons but I'll admit that it was a short trip. All I saw was a statue holding a cup in a glade. I have no idea how I keep ending up there because I hate that place."

"Bells do sound like a good idea though. I have always been a fan of guards too. Do we have any?"
Dallid
Deceased

Post by Dallid »

"Beginning of the year?" Dallid thinks a moment. "I think it was much more substantial then. But now it is little more than an empty, silent, featureless plane, though faint shadows of worldly features can still be made out if you look closely."

"Yes, further villages would likely require no less then permanent garrisons. Haven does have soldiers - the number and competance of which the Regent - be that Korrigan or Fiona - whould know. But such protection concerns are a problem for a future day."
GM-Taki
Town Member
Town Member

Post by GM-Taki »

*Korrigan, hearing bits and pieces of the conversation as he wanders around attending to his duties, stops and chimes in*

"I like this bell idea, and I'll provide the stuff we need to make it happen. Alice, my man Quen is going to be on the road for a bit, so if you don't mind making the bells I can give you access to some of our special crafting tools. They'll speed up the whole deal and we'll have those bells in field before the end of the next moon."

"Also, since you're talking about troops, I figure you should know how we're faring thus far. I've got three groups working in Haven right now. The Cavaliers are on patrol throughout Haven and take care of local arguments and law enforcement. Each Cavalier is paired with a Traveler, and the Travelers convey news and messages throughout the Haven. Starting next moon you'll be able to pay a few copper and send a message or small package from anywhere to anyone in the land - with delivery guaranteed within three days... so long as the person has a house or a place they can be found, or something like that. Townfolks will be able to pick up messages at the Tipsy Traveler".

"For the areas beyond our settlements, I've put together a group of Rangers. They keep an eye on the land itself - both the settled and wild parts - so that we've got warning of any changes or problems. They are generally frontier folk with a good head for nature, so they're more than capable of knowing when something isn't right. Combine these three groups with Haven's regular troops, and I think we're better off than we've been in a long, long time."
GM-Taki - Final Haven GM, Winter Haven GM, Editor of the Rulebook Project.
Marcus
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Marcus »

Marcus looks to Korrigan with a bit of a frown.

Huh. I sure wish I would have known anything about that, it would have saved me a lot of legwork trying to do nearly the same thing in the past months with what I thought was a good idea of mine for security but had already been implemented.

As for the alarm bells, even if you can personally swing it Korrigan, I would suggest we wait and get Fionna in on all this before it just goes ahead and gets done, just so the person at the top get's to actually be involved.

Zeira
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Zeira »

Zeira chuckles for a moment

"Why does anyone need to talk to Fionna anymore? Korrigan controls all of the resources and the armies. I asked her about signing my guild charter so we could be legitimate and she told me she had to ask him. I know she has been busy but she has been shifting a more than healthy portion of her responsibilities to in his direction."

"I love her to death but that is definately the perception I am getting. I'm sure it doesn't work like that but that is how it appears from an outsiders view."
Dallid
Deceased

Post by Dallid »

"Korrigan is usually the best person to enact the decisions reached by Fionna regarding Haven. He had even been granted the appropriate title of 'Steward'. However, I understand Fionna recently and temporarily transferred the Regency to you, Korrigan - without any apparent consoltation, I fear. How long do you expect the appointment to last?"
GM-Taki
Town Member
Town Member

Post by GM-Taki »

*Korrigan looks sympathetic as Marcus mentions his footwork.*

"Huh. Sorry you went barking up a tree I was already in, Marcus. I've been putting these groups together for better than a year now, but if you've got some men under you we can see about getting them on the same page. As Steward I figured anyone lookin' to organize folk in these parts would have come to me, but looks like I figured wrong. Anybody else puttin' together troops for the Haven without me knowing about it? Now's the time to speak up."

*As Zeira and Dallid speak Korrigan appears somewhat confused.*

"Look, Fiona and I have been workin' together ever since Esmerelda left, and it's been going along fine as far as I'm concerned. She handles all the uppity stuff, I take care of the business end and we talk everything over between us. We're a pretty good team that way. She's got folks like Marcus here to help her with relations and I've got Barry to help with the books. I'm not sure what outsiders see, but that's the way it works."

*Turning to Dallid, Korrigan looks a bit more concerned.*

"Dallid, I took charge in the Iron Cities, but this is the first I've heard about a 'transfer of regency'. Where'd you hear that? As far as I knew I was acting as Steward. If she promoted me when I wasn't looking I didn't know about it."

*Turning to the assembled group, Korrigan pauses for a moment and then continues.*

"This does bring up something Fiona and I have been talking about, and I suppose now is a good a time as any to start consulting folks about it. Esmerelda has been gone longer than the year she mentioned back in the desert, and it's likely time we settled on a more permanent replacement for her. Fiona's been serving as Regent and I as Steward, but we set out to build a Kingdom and the people need a steady ruler who is gonna be here. Dallid, you had reservations last time around - how do you wanna move forward this time?"
GM-Taki - Final Haven GM, Winter Haven GM, Editor of the Rulebook Project.