Sleepwalker

A cold bed and a warm ale. Blood stains the walls, but it looks like the Bar Keep is standing...for once.

Moderator: Admin

Alice Tex
Town Member
Town Member

Sleepwalker

Post by Alice Tex »

Sweat beaded at Alice’s forehead. The air had been distinctly cooler lately, and leaves on the trees had definitely begun to change, but the heat inside the forge was still unbearable in summer’s wane. Her calloused hands held her hammer true and struck hard on blackish steel. The ring of the metal was beautiful in her ears, a song of creation. This song soothed her, centered her. She didn’t sleep well last night. No nightmares, just strange dreams. A hall of mirrors, a thorny hedge-lined path, random objects floating as if inside a snow globe. At one point, she was running down a path that lead to nowhere. She was looking for something, but for the life of her, she couldn’t remember what it was.

As she worked, she realized how exhausted she was, and she had a horrible splitting headache, but she couldn’t let that stop her. This weapon was something of an experiment, and though she had a general idea in her head what it should look like, she enjoyed the process of spontaneous construction. It set her apart from the competition. Her eyes focused on the natural lines in the metal, and her hands kept moving as if on their own, shaping the weapon into something remarkable. As the metal yielded under her powerful hammer, she tried to remember what she was looking for in the dream…

Alice woke up hours later. She was standing in the exact same spot in the forge that she remembered standing in before she blacked out. It was dark out now, long past sunset. She’d been exhausted like this before, but never so tired as to fall sleep standing up! What had happened while she slept, she wondered.

She looked around. The weapon she’d been forging was on the workbench, almost complete, yet she had no recollection of making it. It was a simple but unique blade. It was long and thin with a slight curve. It was very sharp, but only on one side, which was serrated so delicately that you could barely see the notches in the edge. It was a wicked blade capable of tearing into flesh in a brutal fashion. She knew this blade well. It belonged to a man she hoped to never see again. Shock and horror welled up inside her. Why would she make this horrid blade? Worst of all, she couldn’t even remember making it in the first place.

Without a second thought, she seized it and began striking the wicked weapon until she gasped for breath and couldn’t strike it anymore. Still, the blade remained unharmed. It refused to yield to her heavy hammer. How had she fashioned such a cruel creation without her own conscious knowledge? The weapon embodied someone she hated. She had to destroy it! Standing there, staring at the evil thing, she tried to devise a plan. Bury it under a newly constructed building? Row out to the middle of the lake and drop it in? Her face furrowed in distress, she cursed under her breath. Her options seemed limited.
"Pity the selfish, for they do not know charity...pity the cruel, for they do not know kindness...and pity the heartless, for they do not know love." ~ Alice
Zeira
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Zeira »

Zeira steps into the forge and looks around for a moment. He never grasped the art of smithing fully. It was a strange practice that required a combination of power, finesse and concentration...none of which were his strong suits. Upon noticing Alice's expression he takes a seat on a small stool nearby and points a finger at the blade.

"Having a hard time putting the finishing touches on something? I was under the assumption that by this stage of crafting process you would be done with the heavy shaping. Is this one of those artist moments where you are mad because it didn't turn out the way you wanted so now your starting over?"

"If so I would reconsider, that looks like a well crafted weapon that has many hours invested in it. Before you start over you might want to take some time to sleep on it and see how you feel about it tomorrow."
Alice Tex
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Alice Tex »

Alice was so focused on devising the destruction of the blade that she didn't even notice Zeira's entrance. When he spoke, she started a bit but quickly calmed. Did he see her craft it? Did he even notice she'd been sleepwalking? Or had he only just appeared to offer thoughtful words? She replied as calmly as she could, "I appreciate your considerate advice. It's not exactly what I hoped it would be, but perhaps I will take your suggestion and 'sleep on it'." She set the blade aside and considered Zeira. "Anything I can help with? Do you need something crafted or repaired?"
"Pity the selfish, for they do not know charity...pity the cruel, for they do not know kindness...and pity the heartless, for they do not know love." ~ Alice
Kiel Reid
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Kiel Reid »

"Just some repair work. My spear head is loose so I was wondering if you could replace the fittings. Also have some missing rings from my chainmail and my sword could use some sharpening as well."

Zeira pulls his armor out of his knapsack. It was very fine, most likely of elven make. He set it next to the repair bench along with his spear and sword.

"How have you been Alice? It has been quite some time since we talked. Still trying to fix the world?
Elgoain Onyx
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Elgoain Onyx »

Passing the young lady's smithy the carefree valkyn'vi couldn't help but overhear the conversation between zeira and Alice. As he neared the forge he first noticed the beautiful piece that set in front of him, the sword wasn't bad either.

Wetting his fingers he smoothed his eyebrows and pencil thin mustache and shaped his goatee back to a point. With a slight flick of his hair, which landed perfectly!, elgoain made his way over to make his introduction.

"Hello there, my what a beautiful piece, is it for sale?
elgoain Onyx.

for i'm a rover, seldom sober
i'm a rover of high degree!
when i'm drinkin'
i'm always thinkin'
how to gain my love's company.
Zeira
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Zeira »

Zeira took a look at the sauve Valkin'Vi as he entered the work area. It had been quite some time since there had been a bard in Haven.

"Greetings. Your name?"
Elgoain Onyx
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Elgoain Onyx »

elgoain turned to zeira and stuck his hand out and flashed a smile that lit up his whole face

"greetings to you as well, i am elgoain. Elgoain Onyx. a pleasure to meet you."

elgoain gave a sly wink to alice as he shook hands with zeira.

"and who might you be my dear?" his eyes seemed to glimmer green as he looked at her.
elgoain Onyx.

when i'm drinkin'
i'm always thinkin'
Alice Tex
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Alice Tex »

Alice took the items Zeira wished for her to repair. She smiled kindly, "I would be happy to help, Zeira. They will be a simple fix. And yes, I will never stop helping those who are in need. And you? Are you still trying to create order within chaos?" She laughed softly.

When the suave Valkyin'vi entered and began to speak about the sword, she wasn't sure how to respond without seeming rude. "I'm afraid it's not for sale," she said flatly but not unkindly. When he inquired as to who she was and turned on the charm, she didn't know whether to be flattered or to be wary. In her opinion, nothing good ever came from a suave stranger appearing out of nowhere and addressing her outright, with few exceptions. "My name is Alice. Pleasure to meet you, Mr Onyx." she politely replied, bowing slightly.
Zeira
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Zeira »

"I guess I am. I found a group of like minded folks who are capable of doing some of the work that needs to be done around here. We're even making a little coin. Can't ask for much more than that."

Zeira turns to the Valkin'Vi and gives him a quick look over

"So Elgoain...What brings you to Haven? Looking to make your fortune or are you some kind of Valkin'Vi with a dark shadowy past that your trying to cover up with an outgoing personality?"
Elgoain Onyx
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Elgoain Onyx »

Elgoain nodded to Alice and politely smiled back.
" very well , it is a pleasure to meet you Alice"

He turned back to zeira and was somewhat confused by the mans quip about having a dark past, sure there a few things he'd rather soon forget but he didn't his past dark by any means

" I'm not sure I follow, I met some of the citizens of this town while in a far off land known as the iron city, a very strange place, to them magic was completely foreign most of their city was run with what most referred to as " science " . Nevertheless, I met korrigan the innkeeper and apparent steward of this very city along with the dwarven king Vaal and here I stand before you."
elgoain Onyx.

when i'm drinkin'
i'm always thinkin'
Alice Tex
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Alice Tex »

"Oh, I see," replied Alice. "Like me, you've come here from very far away land. I recommend the Elvish wine in the Inn. It's very relaxing after a long hard journey. Cheers."

Politely excusing herself, she turned again to Ziera, "We'll figure out the price later. I know you're good for it." She smiled and went back into the forge to begin her new work. Before beginning, however, she made sure to wrap her hated creation in cloth for the meantime.

Using a handled wedge she snapped the old spear fitting off and used a hard leather to pull the sharp spearhead away from the handle. Then she began searching for another fitting that she could either use right away or easily shape into a fitting replacement. Meanwhile, she planned on how she'd rid herself of the sword where no one--not even her sleepwalking self--would find it again.
Elgoain Onyx
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Elgoain Onyx »

"i shall make sure of it, perhaps you would share a bottle with me at a later date" Elgoain smiled and his green eyes glinted once again.

"well off and away, i'm sure i will see you both at a later time farewell."

with a nod to zeira the valkyn'vi headed down the path back toward the inn.
elgoain Onyx.

when i'm drinkin'
i'm always thinkin'
Zeira
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Zeira »

Zeira waves at the stranger as he exits.

"I love how he danced around the question. Just like a Valkyn'Vi. I'm sure he'll be in trouble shortly."

He then turns to Alice

"I have a question for you actually. How do you feel about dragons?"
Alice Tex
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Alice Tex »

Alice's slightly pointed elvish ears twitched at the word "dragons". "Eh? Dragons? Well, I've never met one personally, but I hear they can be powerful and extremely dangerous. Why such a question?" Suddenly, she looked around at all the gear and weapons he'd emplored her to repair. Her eyes narrowed at him in a suspicious manner. Zeira always had the most wild ideas. "Zeira, are you in over your head?"
Kiel Reid
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Kiel Reid »

"In over my head? Never. The question is purely academic I assure you. I wasn't around the last time they were here but the general feeling has been to stay away from them if another one is encountered."

"I have encountered some strange things that make me believe there may be one trying to make a resurgence. It could just be my over active imagination though. A little more investigating is definately required."