Several Days After The Black

A cold bed and a warm ale. Blood stains the walls, but it looks like the Bar Keep is standing...for once.

Moderator: Admin

Zeira
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Zeira »

"Well with a story like that I am seriously intrigued Vantavius. It's not that I don't recognize the gravity of the situation, it's just that I'm anxious to find out what's going on."

"Plus a couple of us were heading in that direction anyway before this all started..."
GM-Mike
GM

Post by GM-Mike »

Vantavius nods to Marcus, saying, "Thank-you for the healing. I'm feeling better already, and really, for the first time in days feel real hope. This was definitely the place to come."

At Dallid's words, concern returns to his face. "For some reason I never considered that it was my wife that caused Corbyn's concern. I had assumed he saw something...else or heard something that spooked him. But perhaps you're right. Nothing so mundane would have irked him."

For a moment he was lost in thought, and then said, "Her name is Lenora...Lenora Kane, though I suppose you could have guessed the last name. Forgive me if I say I hope the name means nothing to any of you..."

In response to Quen, "I would agree. Anything done to it should be away from so many people...just out of caution if nothing else."
Marcus
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Marcus »

To Vantavius: "Your welcome. I hope we can help you further.

Marcus looks to Quen.

"...And that's why we haven't done anything to it. Don't believe for a second that I hadn't thought about some way to banish or disenchant it from- oh, about a mile or so distant. With a mountain between me and it.

A hands-off policy is definitely in order, at least for right now.
-Evil always prevails when good people do nothing.

-All knight, every night.
Smitty19
GM

Post by Smitty19 »

*Looks around at those gathered, mostly Dallid

"Im sorry, but it seems that that name is of significance, and yet I have never heard of it, or the surname."

*Folds arms

"So if someone could explain who the Kane's are that would be fantastic."
Serith Darkheart

"I dont make Threats....Only Promises"
GM-Mike
GM

Post by GM-Mike »

"When I introduced myself I used my last name as well. I just meant of course she bares that same last name. I clarify only if my response caused confusion. If there's some other significance to the name, I'd be curious to know as well."
Zeira
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Zeira »

Zeira flips through his book for a moment

"I don't have anything here. It's really hard to find the source or significance of last names unless they have a noble lineage. Especially with the general lack of formal education for most people. It could have started as C-A-I-N-E, C-A-I-N, C-A-Y-N-E and so on but through travel and time evolved. It could also be a 'trade' name."

"Kinda like I am actually just Zeira. In Woodhaven I just used that but when I started traveling I decided to tack on Lightscroll so that folks would know my trade as I went from place to place. So it would be like Zeira Lightscroll of Woodhaven."

Looking around he notices that maybe had gone a little more in-depth than what was needed

"Yeah...Real exhilarating stuff. I guess in other words my answer is no I don't know anything off hand on anyone of note with the last name of Kane. If we use the common tongue it would most likely mean that your people were shepherds originally, the name was probably garnered from the stick they often carried. But I think that is a little too far back."
Marcus
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Marcus »

Marcus looks around dryly.

"Yeah...I actually think that after being confronted about something his father did, and almost having his wife's head disintegrated like the Keep, it's more likely he was wondering that because then if no one is familiar with the 'Kane' surname then there's no one around to potentially wish them ill will, meaning he and his wife don't have any enemies here at the moment.

Anyway Ziera, as far as I know, the tool you describe is a Shepard's 'Crook' not a cane. And after the history I've heard about you and a certain town across the portal, the irony of a person's stock-in-trade resulting in the spelling of a surname like C-R-O-O-K shouldn't be lost on you, should it?

The wry grin on his face showed the Marcus is clearly joking.

GM-Mike
GM

Post by GM-Mike »

Vatavius nods. "Right and then moreso I was hoping none of you knew more of my wife than I. I would hate to think I didn't know the woman I love..."
Zeira
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Zeira »

"Crook. Cane...Same thing. Just a long stick. Good to know my reputation proceeds me though I think you just called me a crook. I don't feel like that's a good way to start off a working relationship."

Zeira walked up to Marcus and offered his hand

"Your name again sir?"
Marcus
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Marcus »

Marcus chuckles and takes Zeira's hand warmly, waving his other hand in dismissal.

"No offense intended. Just some humor, if a bit snarky. Even if what scuttlebutt I heard was a little true, people change and the past stays just that, behind them.

Anyway, I'm not sure you remember me...but my name's Marcus Gideon, originally from the fishing village, at least since the cataclysm. We've met before - on the expeditionary journey with those pirate brothers back into Elven-held Haven the spring after escaping to Caledonia. I don't blame you if you don't remember me, I was pretty forgettable. Just an angry boy with a hammer who wanted revenge.

Hell, I wasn't even using my real name with everyone, just something I read in a book about a great warrior.

I've just been pretty far away these past few years- finding myself, I guess. Or maybe just a good and honorable purpose to get in pursuit of; I'm still not sure which I ended up doing- both most likely. I wasn't right after what happened that night, but after these years, it's time I got my hand back into helping people."

He reaches down and pats a rune-encrusted warhammer, leaning against the wall behind him.

I kept hold of Durandal, though. I think something more than luck got it into my hand that night, and the more time goes by I get more certain of it.

Zeira
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Zeira »

Zeira smacks himself in the head and let's out a laugh

"Daine! I didn't recognize you without the eyepatch! You really filled out kid. Looks like you picked up a couple of new tricks over the past couple of years."

"And you're wrong. I'll never forget that battle outside that cottege. Malachi and I were actually just talking about it. You really brought the fight to those elves."
Marcus
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Marcus »

"Well... thanks, I guess.

Just so. I learned soon enough after leaving Haven that the fake name and idiotic eye-patch had to go. I met a man on my travels who took me on as his squire these last several years and taught me that personal honor and duty to those in need is far more important than looking tough.

Zeira
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Zeira »

"Well we all tend to change over time. Looks like yours was for the better. Your raw talent combined with discipline is going to make you just the kind of person Haven needs to overcome the trials ahead. Whatever that may be this time..."
Dallid
Deceased

Post by Dallid »

“Lenora…” Dallid appears disappointed, but smiles politely at Vatavius. “Not the name I hoped you might say, but a fine one none-the-less. Get a good night’s rest, and in the morning we shall go to Brandybrook and see about returning some normalcy to the life of you and your wife.”
Learn the past. Observe the present. Guide the future.
Smitty19
GM

Post by Smitty19 »

*Comes into the inn with a Travel Pack slung over a shoulder and his sword at his hip.

"Well looks like a trip to the Academy is in order, lets get ready to roll out."
Serith Darkheart

"I dont make Threats....Only Promises"