1 character or multiple...the debate continues

Archived topics from the different rule forums.

Moderator: Admin

GM_Chris
GM

RE

Post by GM_Chris »

Way too complicated. Plus I want to discourage multiple characters.

Chris
Chris
I be one of the gamemasters so e-mail me questions if you have them
GM_Chris
GM

RE

Post by GM_Chris »

OH OH I have an idea.

Lets say we allow one character switch at say 11-12 on Saturday. To switch characters you have to sign on a public sheet what character you plan on playing on Saturday by Friday. All players in the game will then have the ability to look at this sheet so there is no confusion as to what you are playing.

Some cool things happen.

1) Tearin is played on Friday and Ug is played by Brad on Friday. Brad really wants to kill Tearin so he plays Pentag and writes it on the sheet. I look at the sheet and not wanting to die I have the opportunity to switch characters also denying Brad.

2) On the flip side someone wants to kill Pentag sees that he is swapping to play Pentag so everyone gets to switch to try and kill him.

What do people think?

Chris
Chris
Annika
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Annika »

Absolutely not.

What happens if something unforseeable comes up and there is no way your character would leave town at a prescribed time?

What happens if you're having way too good of a time and don't want to change?

Do you really think that telling everyone that Pentag will be somewhere on the field as of noon on Saturday is going to prevent all the cheating and metagaming bullshit you're trying to avoid?

Keep it simple: One character per event. Period. No one is going to quit because they can't play two or more...
Lambic
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Lambic »

I like the idea Chris but I feel I must point out that this encourages people to have multiple charaaters, which you said you did not want to do.

"Well I had better have a backup character and if I am going to have one I might as well introduce him. etc"
GM_Chris
GM

RE

Post by GM_Chris »

Im trying to stop metagamming?

There is no meta gamming.

I am trying to create accountability. If this was a vid game I would say that each character you play has a tag identifing what PC is playing it so if I didnt like you personally I could kill you no matter what persona you played.

My above example helps create accountability in that everyone has an opportunity to cheese weasle.

Chris
Chris
WayneO42
GM

Re: RE

Post by WayneO42 »

GM_Chris wrote: My above example helps create accountability in that everyone has an opportunity to cheese weasle.
Um...I really dont like the Mutally Assured Cheese approach to LARP governing.
Wayne O
The Game Master Lite
Frag the weak, Hurdle the dead!
Dallid
Deceased

Post by Dallid »

Allowing a changing of character multiple times during an event, even if the character schedule is known beforehand, still reduces accountability. The risk and consequences of playing a hunted character are greatly reduced if the player has the option of playing that character only a few hours each event.

I think players should still be allowed to NPC for the simple reason that NPC camp needs all the bodies it can get. However, the Gamemasters should use their discression as to whom to accept - even grilling players thoroughly befor accepting them. They should carefully weigh how removing this character from game will affect the game.

For their own part, players should only volunteer for NPC duty if:
1. NPC Camp puts out the call for more bodies.
2. A PC is likely to be out of the picture for an extended period of time (accepted at GM discression).
Learn the past. Observe the present. Guide the future.
Nelkie
Town Member
Town Member

Ok

Post by Nelkie »

Ok Chris, have it a person can only switch characters once an event. I disagree with you on not allowing muliple characters in an event. I have talked with many people and they like the idea of having 2 charcters that they can play. It is part of the reason they like to play FH. I personal don't like the idea, becasuse I have enough stuff to worry about with character. Also after 5 events you have peeked your character and some peole like to see their characters grow in skills.
I feel if some solid rules be implmented for muliple charcters that are balanced, playing 2 charcters per evernt wouldn't be an issue.
My Thoughts

Aaron
GM_Chris
GM

RE

Post by GM_Chris »

Well the thing is wayne I feel multiple characters per an event is cheeze weasling so if that is going to happen we need to make sure we have balanced cheese weasling for all. :P

The thing is there is ALOT of advantage to switching characters mid event that I am simply not going to police. If people SOOOOO want the power to switch characters then there needs to be a hadship. Say what ever character you check out with you check in with next event. (assuming you switched)

Now I am not saying this properly so I hope you get my point.

Chris
Chris
GM_Chris
GM

RE

Post by GM_Chris »

Mike had a great idea...You can play 2 characters for an event but only 1 of those characters level and they only get half expierence. I would like to say they only get 1 level.

Now that is another idea I like.

Chris
Chris
Annika
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Annika »

That's not a hardship to any character who is more than 30th Level (once you earn 340 build). After that, it won't be 2 years for someone to get another 20 build anyways.
GM_Chris
GM

RE

Post by GM_Chris »

Xp always goes to the character with the most XP?

Chris
Chris
WayneO42
GM

Post by WayneO42 »

Levels still make a big difference for allegience points
Wayne O
The Game Master Lite
Frag the weak, Hurdle the dead!
GM-Mike
GM

Post by GM-Mike »

as well as hero points
GM_Chris
GM

RE

Post by GM_Chris »

Only the highest character played can spend their allegence.

Chris
Chris