1 character or multiple...the debate continues

Archived topics from the different rule forums.

Moderator: Admin

Donmayo
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Donmayo »

Curufin wrote:That is a bit too hostile for just a matter of opinion.

Missed this one. Intention is not hostility, but when one is on a sinking ship they tend to bail faster.
Curufin wrote:I also agree that a person that is going to play two characters at an event absolutely has to be different in appearance. That means different make up (if applicable), different costume, and possibly different weapons and armor. It doesn't have to be emasculate...it just needs to be different. It is too damn confusing if you don’t.
Really missed this one? Who is it that is playing two seprate pc's in the same costume? I know my two are at least 90% different. The only time they ever crosses was before I got my new shield finished and was forced to use physrep for both, but that was explained in game.
*Seeing 3 birdmen in the road Corbyn asks:
"Donmayo can we trust these travelers?"
-They are Avyana, of course not"
“But you’re an Avyana”
-Yesss I am, aren't I...

-Donmayo of Mahuru April 1055 PEW
Donmayo
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Donmayo »

Annika wrote:... and no one has yet to argue that they're going to quit if this is changed (and that they'd even be worth it to save for the game)...

Giving up on the game because one does not always get their way seemed silly to me, but in case someone thinks I am mad... errr no, no intention of leaving over a rule change. Heck if that were the case I could never play ANY game, becuse they change every single event!
“But you’re an Avyana”
-Yesss I am, aren't I...

GM_Chris
GM

RE

Post by GM_Chris »

Um I actually started this thread and no it has nothing to do with Pentag. infact I am getting annoyed that people keep thing that.

It has to do with the scenero I discribed and that is with Good people escaping our political system.

I guess maybe there needs to be a rule for troops that once you have them you can give them a mission say "kill this character". Now if that character was cheesy to avoid this we will just hold off and bring the troops in when you actually decide to play the character. That would make me happy too.

Chris
Chris
I be one of the gamemasters so e-mail me questions if you have them
Dallid
Deceased

Post by Dallid »

Yes, Brad is great. 8) But I've certainly been concerned that some players seem to be using the playing of multiple characters as a strategy, or using unavalibility as a weapon. Likely at a subconcious level (Seems pretty much everyone doesn't intentionally cheese, but the cheese still happens). Get in with one character, do what you want that character to do, and get out.

Yes, RL gets in the way sometimes, and a player can't stay the whole event (or can't show up at all). Nothing can be done about that. But I think we ought to limit character unavailibility as much as possible - limit character Hit-and-Fade tactics where we can.

Also, when a player isn't at the event, there's no:

"Can I talk to his other character? It's really important and I know where to find him."
"We need Character A! Is that guy playing him or the other guy right now? We need to find out who he's currently playing - until then we have to hold off on our strategizing."
"Ah HA! I've think I've found out where Character A is hiding! I'll have to find a GM and ask if I can confront player A's other character. 'Course, then the GM will have to find him..."

So I still think it'd eliminate a lot of confusion and (unintentional) cheese if players must stick with one character for a full event. I'm sure there might be special cercumstances where character switching might be allowed - but again it's up to GM discression.
Learn the past. Observe the present. Guide the future.
Nelkie
Town Member
Town Member

Rules

Post by Nelkie »

Here is a simple way to run mulitple charcters

1. You can ony switch character on Saturday during dinner Game break,

2. You can only play 2 characters an event

3. Each character gets 2 levels of experience for each event they are both played

4. Both characters only get to use 1/2 of their allgence points when supporting a guild, house, thane, etc.

5. Both charcters can not be members of the same guild!

6. Both characters must have suffcient resources to survie

7. Both characters count as a body in a guild.

8. The character that is not being played can not be used, talked with, found, grant any benifits, etc.. until they come back into game. The person is off int he woods, in the guild hall studing, help the peaents, etc.... One will have to wait until the next time they can switch characters to talk with them in game.

What do people thinK??

Now this won't stop people from being cheesy by creating a mess before they leave, but it is no different than a person creating a mess before they leave the event early to go home. It is chessy and the NPC's should smite those who do it on purpose!! Upon checking in, a person can let the NPC's know which character they will be play and when so plots can be placed into the game acordiingly. You pissed off a King last event, well he will be there whenyou come back into game after Saturday Break!!
My Thoughts

Aaron
Dallid
Deceased

Post by Dallid »

Seems to me all opinions have been presented by now. How about a poll? One character per event or two?
Learn the past. Observe the present. Guide the future.
GM_Chris
GM

RE

Post by GM_Chris »

Great on the poll and Aaron if your idea went into place I would double the people requierment for all guilds since it is balanced for 1 character per event not two and everyone would create a twink.

Basically it isnt going to fly.
Chris
Donmayo
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Donmayo »

Last thing. One can allways do what they want.

be it:

don't support evil guy, or kill another pc,

and then go home.

cheese is cheese. limiting characters is not going to stop this.
“But you’re an Avyana”
-Yesss I am, aren't I...

GM_Chris
GM

RE

Post by GM_Chris »

Yep Steve you are correct there. It is just easier to do it with multiple characters.

There are other issues though besides those 2. There are alot more issues besides those 2.
Chris