1 character or multiple...the debate continues

Archived topics from the different rule forums.

Moderator: Admin

GM_Chris
GM

RE

Post by GM_Chris »

Well I agree that if there is a set time frame that works.

Problem is numer 1...If I am not there you cannot catch me thus I can enter the game unfettered.

This I disagree with.

I also really hate how you have a tyrant..you vote against them and then because you voted against him play an alt one event until they loose their army. WOW that sure was cheeze. I mean we have a mechanical army that can be called on for thanes YET people can escape it by playing an alt. Frankly it is MAJOR cheez.

What made dictarors scary is you cannot simply walk down the street and escape..you need to instead make a cardboard boat and sail it across shark infested waters!

Chris
Chris
I be one of the gamemasters so e-mail me questions if you have them
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

only portion of Wayne's idea I disagree with is the #3. Make it player choice, otherwise it's the player you play just before you leave, which means we all know who's character is getting xp.

Ie. Brad plays ug almost the whole event then Ug walks off Saturday night and we don't see Brad Sunday until game off, we all know Pentag got the points.
McEwan
Town Member
Town Member

Post by McEwan »

Another question in the form of an example:

(sence I am better and more important than everyone else)

McEwan desides to spend Friday night with the spectral guards outside the graveyard [due to the facts that they don't talk mutch and rearly stick burning sticks in peoples mouths]. Now the the other charicters won't be going to the graveyard in the middle of the night (not the smart ones anyway), however, they may very well may go there Saterday (a haunted graveyard being a fine place to pick up "hot chicks"). So would I be, for all intents and purposes, be sitting by myself in the woods Friday night, be forced to NPC, or what?
Ignorance can be fixed...stupid you're stuck with
Wyrmwrath
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Wyrmwrath »

NO..NO...NO!

You should be perfoming the dwarven fertility pole dance in Todds new hula skirt so as to draw the hot chicks OUT of the graveyard...Geesh! Do I have to think of everything?!
Grand High Chancellor of ROBUST UNPLEASANTNESS
...and the 11th commandment is:

"The stupid shall be punished!"
WayneO42
GM

Post by WayneO42 »

McEwan wrote:Another question in the form of an example:

(sence I am better and more important than everyone else)

McEwan desides to spend Friday night with the spectral guards outside the graveyard [due to the facts that they don't talk mutch and rearly stick burning sticks in peoples mouths]. Now the the other charicters won't be going to the graveyard in the middle of the night (not the smart ones anyway), however, they may very well may go there Saterday (a haunted graveyard being a fine place to pick up "hot chicks"). So would I be, for all intents and purposes, be sitting by myself in the woods Friday night, be forced to NPC, or what?
You are never forced to NPC. If you make the character choice to sit in the woods by the graveyard, then as a player you need to make the choice of either sitting there or NPCing. You cannot have TWO active characters on the field. IMO I would find character reasons not to sit in the graveyard during the game and save it for IBE.
Wayne O
The Game Master Lite
Frag the weak, Hurdle the dead!
GM_Chris
GM

RE

Post by GM_Chris »

Perhaps the best solution is simply you cannot swap characters during an event.

You come in with one character you walk out with one character and that way there is no confusion..no new rules that need to be created.

Therefore if you want to screw over a player you can do so right at the end of an event, but if you ever wanted to play that character again then you will only play him and only him.

Chris
Chris
Peace420
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Peace420 »

Here's my only problem with Wayne's idea as it's written, there is no accountability for characters that do something at the end of an event or just before they leave because some people leave Sat night. I have no problem with a character that does something and will never be played again disappearing, the problem lies in people coming in near game off doing something running into the woods and coming back with their hands over their heads a little while later and waiting for game off or leaving the event Sat night and repeating this at multiple events.

Edit: I could get behind what Chris says, but with the stipulation that you can't just run off into the woods and come back a little later OOG. If you're being souhgt by anyone in the town you are always considered to be IG, except for food break. If you can sneak into the Inn or another building unnoticed, sleep, wake and get back into the woods before anyone notices more power to you.
Death=Adder

One of these days...I'm going to cut you into little pieces...

~Pink Floyd~
Eli
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Eli »

I have not had time to finish this entire post. However, before I forget what I would like to say; I am against this completely! Reason? It is too broad. You are using a sledge hammer to work on something that requires a finishing hammer.

You argue that "should not be allowed to disapear".

You DO NOT take into account people who simply wish to play more than one character. Those who do NOT flee into the woods, but simply go off to thier labatory, for a few hours or half the event. Those who have NO problem with someone being able to find them, and in fact insure that many know exactly where they are.

I argue that limiting the number should be held to apply ONLY when one is being hunted by many members of the game. This does NOT mean that is Pentag wants to kill your character you cannot switch, this does mean that if I wack someone and people are chasing me and GOD himself comes down and I somehow am able to run like a wild free deer in the woods and escape those chasing me...(bear with me.. please), then I should not be able to switch. Then I have to play the character the following event.

Please do not over fix something. Put down the sledge hammer and pick up that finishing hammer!
-Eli (Full Elvish: Elaith Vonaduran Craulnober)

There once was a man named Eli,
A man who claimed he could not die.
But one thing makes him wail:
That's when there is no ALE!
Thus his tale: with no beer, he will cry.

(The dark haired, green eyed mage child has faded into the past leaving behind one not quite an adult, but clearly no longer a child. The warrior-mage mixture that he has become can only be described as a survivor. )
Wyrmwrath
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Wyrmwrath »

Only problem, Steve, is that once you ad exceptions or only in this cases you are adding more rules and complexity that isnt needed.

If you have to play the Pc that you start the event as, until it dies, then there are no new rules and no confusion/cheating/gripes about multiple PCs.

The rule can state that if a PC is being persued, he must remain hidded and not be found in the "wilds" for say an hour. At that point he may chose to NPC, or leave the event, or give the GMs/plot a time he will be returning to the game. He then may ONLY return at that time UNLESS the GMs/plot feel he has a valid reason he was late/might be early( IE somone sent him a magical message, his car got stuck in a ditch and he couldnt get back to the camp on time)
Grand High Chancellor of ROBUST UNPLEASANTNESS
...and the 11th commandment is:

"The stupid shall be punished!"
Eli
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Eli »

Another point off Wane-O's post,

I believe everyone playing more than one pc has been paying resources for both characters. I know I have.

Most, if not all those playing more than one switch at bed or game break, I know that is when I do it.

Finally, people came looking for one of my character in the Sep event that I was not playing, I simply put on my great hat and switched cloaks for the scene which was all rping and that was that. It took all of 5 min.

(The dark haired, green eyed mage child has faded into the past leaving behind one not quite an adult, but clearly no longer a child. The warrior-mage mixture that he has become can only be described as a survivor. )
Eli
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Eli »

I do not pretend to be the smartest of all, but I myself have NO problem distinguishing

A: you do something stupid run off and hide because people want you dead. so you play alt
and

B: you simply wish to play a second character for rping and fun.

I for one like playing Eli, but after about 8 hours of being pure good and youth, I like switching.

People know why they are switching. People are not stupid. The rule does not have to be complex.

Rule: you cannot switch characters if people are now, or will be soon hunting you.

-with my exception of course for brad's characters hunting you. Because then no one could ever switch as he is trying to hunt everyone all the time and kill us all.

dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

ok, here's my thing. There are two choices, either you can switch or you can't. How one can switch is more or less irrelevant.

If you can't within an event (still allowing switching though) well, then if I come into game and on Friday night, kill a pc, then I'm probably just gonna pack up and go home since more than likely if I want to get lost in the woods for no one to find me, I surely can but I have no desire to do this in real life for 2 days (plus FH people might not enjoy hoping a pc came back). I'd rather go home and watch some football. This also says that anyone with characters that would study for lengthy times better have a good book to read. We still have cheese.

If you can switch during an event, well then you have to realize that no matter what you do, you are going to have cheese. You cannot stop all instances of it, ever. Since someone could kill someone at midnight and then not be able to switch even if the pc's don't find the body for 6 hours, or that same body might be found in 15 minutes but the murdering player left and/or ran into the woods and the PCs who might have the ability to fnd them couldn't as there's no npc within easy distance. Or if there were specified times, you'll have some one wait till 15 minutes before change time, whack someone, run into the woods then 15 minutes later come out as someone new. In other words: if you choose to allow switching, accept the cheese.

Now then there's also the second option. Only one character per player until that character is perma dead. Solves the issue of cheese with swapping and the issue of killing at the end of the event and not being that character at the next event, sorta (since you could be like oh he kills himself I want a new character). However, it does kinda suck as you can't play with any other combos until you start a completely new pc. As much as some of us love our characters, some us just don't care, and want to do something different.

Basically, my point is, there is no correct answer to this problem. The GMs just need to choose one and understand that 90% of the game will hate them for it, no matter what the choice.
Donmayo
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Donmayo »

Well, I disagree. I think you can restrict people from switching out of an evil pc and not restrict others at the same time. It would simply take a gm call as to why a person is switching their characters.

Scenario 1. Brad plays Ug Friday night, Sat he wants to play this new Elf character he just made up. I do not see a problem.

Scenario 2. I play Eli Friday night, kills etc., wants to swap out characters to avoid getting killed/caught. I see a problem with this.

Serious, all the hypothetical junk about some fictitious good guy refusing to support some evil thane put aside. The real issue is this: can you do evil and avoid getting taken out by switching into something else i.e. another pc or npcing. The issue has nothing to do with goodly characters running off and hiding so they can wait until an evil overlord looses his army. FH has shown that 90% of the player base in game would rather take on an army of 20 to 1 with a majority of the pc's dieing than bow down and swear fealty to any power. I.e. we would rather not have these characters then be forced to play them in a world where there is an npc as our ruler.

It is my opinion that there is a problem here and in some twisted idea of being fair and equal, we are going to nail everyone rather than simply fix the problem. Kind of like cutting off the entire leg because you have an ingrown toenail! All so those who are going to get harmed with the rule change don’t have anyone to point at and say, “well you let them do it…” or something along those lines. And I think it far simpler to simply say, “Well, their pc hasn’t done something to make everyone want to kill them…” or something along that line.
*Seeing 3 birdmen in the road Corbyn asks:
"Donmayo can we trust these travelers?"
-They are Avyana, of course not"
“But you’re an Avyana”
-Yesss I am, aren't I...

-Donmayo of Mahuru April 1055 PEW
GM_Chris
GM

RE

Post by GM_Chris »

Steve sereously the problem is not good or evil it is on all sides. The issue is accountability and needs to be there and with multiple characters it can be.

BTW switching PC's for 5 minutes is against the rules. If a person wants you for a 5 minute RP then they would have to wait an hour. As per disguise skill.

As for Trying out other combo's you can do that all with the same character.

As for some rule that says "If you are hunted then you cannot switch' I have no idea wether you are beig hunted or not. How do I know say a bunch of evil people are planning on killing Roland and Roland switches characters foiling their plot. Now I am the bad guy because I made some judgement call.

Basically if left up to a GM if you can switch or not then it would have to be a 3 GM decision AND I will vote no on it 90% of the time so you would need 2 other yes votes and how often do you get 3 of us in one spot at a time?

In Eric's example where he says some evil dude kills another PC and then doesnt want to sit in the woods so he goes home. When I hear this I think to my self..um cool suck it up...the idea of sitting in the woods should hold you back from killing PC's thus keeping PvP in check.

I just had another idea I could get behind.....If you as a Player have alts I wont care how often you switch. We can use the disguise rules and I will get behind that. The catch is this....if you have an alt and ANYONE requests that you play one of your specific characters to an event then you must play that character and you are not allowed to switch characters until that person gives you permission. In the case of multiple people requesting different characters be played then we will choose the person who wants to exact the most revenge.

You can ofcourse choose to retire said character.

Chris
Chris
Kidwynn
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Kidwynn »

Problem with that idea is that ok PC makes this other PC as an alt to kill a bunch or some specific PCs. Then they go back to playing their normal character.

People request that said player play the murdering bastard character, but in order to get away PC retires that character, thus the whole no consequences for your actions comes into play again and said PC gets away with gacking another players pc.

Don't see how that fixes anything Chris. I think that as you stated the PC wants to gank another player they should have to go a hidey in the woods for a bit an all. If the crime is done then the time should be paid.

Then again this is just my thought and feeling on the matter.
Dead pirate betrayed by Corbyn...ah well least I made him do his own dirty work when he killed me.