Assasin Skills

Archived topics from the different rule forums.

Moderator: Admin

Nelkie
Town Member
Town Member

Assasin Skills

Post by Nelkie »

I have done more thinking on balancing out the assasin.

First.
Move pass through wall to third level, and move TOD to 4th level. The reason is to prevent this combo.
2 level warrior, 4th level swash buckler, 3 level assasin. This would be a nasty PK in the fact they would have a sleep effect and a 2 vorpal attack. That is just to nasty.

Secound a minor change to TOD and Pass through wall.

TOB should only be used in light armor. We do not want a full warriors in plate going around TOD people. This little change should make TOD equal to the rest of the 4th level disaplines.

Next
Pass Through Wall needs to defined better.
It has been stated with this skill a person can escape shakels or bonds. But if the shakels are touching there skin, why doesn't the shackels phase with the person. And if the shakels don't phase, how can weapons and equipment be carried. I think a simple rule needs to instated. Anything the assasin has on them phases when they phase. It doesn't make since that only certain items can be phased and other can not.

Next. Becasue pass through wall is only 3rd level I believe a person should not be able to phase through magicial barriers.

Lastly, How does Pass through Wall work in conjuction with gravity? Can an assasin get on the roof of a building and pass through the celling? Go through floors? Or can they only keep on ground level and wall through any physcal barrier in there path.

With Pass through wall, can the assasin charge up the skill and use it when ever or does the skill have to be used right after it is charged?
My Thoughts

Aaron
Peace420
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Peace420 »

ToD has already been moved to 4th level and it has always had the light armor resrtiction. There was also the restriction of if you take damage from the target you lose the ToD and have to start your count over if you still wish to ToD, it also has the longeat charge up time of any of the KO skills, I don't think that assasin is overpowered, as a matter of fact it is much less powerful as a PK'er than Swashbuckler now, reasoning you can resist sleep many ways, only a warrior can resist direct damage and everytime he parries it costs a life pt.

The questions on passwall are good ones but the anything the assasin touches would make it a 4th level discipline IMO, imagine anything that touches you or that you touch being able to phase with you. The assasin could then phase multiple people with them, that's uber powerful. As far as shackles phasing with you, just make it where you can choose not to phase anything that is touching you, that would take care of the logistics associated with phasing through ropes or shackles.

Passwall and magical barriers, research a spell that would stop passwall, as it is a 3rd level discipline the spell will probably be 2nd or 3rd level as it seems the resists to disciplines and skills have been running at the same level or one lower. But a spell that stops physical things would not stop something incorporeal, although it's not entirely possible in this sytem to do both. That I would assume would be a 4th level spell but again that would be something that the NPC's would have to decide on.
Death=Adder

One of these days...I'm going to cut you into little pieces...

~Pink Floyd~
Tonia Glowski
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Tonia Glowski »

As a suggestion, you could make those that are phasing/passing through walls have to "drop" all their stuff, as it would fall off of them once they were essentially non-corporeal. Still a lot of advantage to pass through wall without making it too powerful, and still making it logical and avoiding those that would abuse the rules.
Tonia Brown
aka: Talanalassë Isilisurë the Elven Artificer (Final Haven)
Jade the Gargoyle (Final Haven)
Pasha the Sylvani Seer (Winter Haven)
Grok the Orc Head (A Pouch)
Peace420
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Peace420 »

The only thing with that is you would also be naked on the other side of the well and you would be weaponless, a very bad thing anywhere and anytime in FH. You can't really assasinate someone bare handed unless you are a monk. Sure you could knock them out but then you're still left there looking for their weapon so you can finish the job.
Death=Adder

One of these days...I'm going to cut you into little pieces...

~Pink Floyd~
Tonia Glowski
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Tonia Glowski »

Hmmm... in all the research I've done on LARPs, I've never seen a LARP that actually made the PC or NPC get naked to represent that they were non-corporeal... :) A basic set of clothes are usually the "one exception" and even then, a belt or pouch is not allowable.

I still think it'd be fair and nothing that a decent amount of planning couldn't overcome. Chances are the cabin you're in to kill your target will have a weapon handy OR you can be creative in so many other ways. I'll not get into it so as not to reveal my darker, sneakier side... but just a bit of creativity would overcome the superficial disadvantage.

It matters not to me how the rule is or isn't changed, only that there are other options and it might be a way to balance it.
Tonia Brown
aka: Talanalassë Isilisurë the Elven Artificer (Final Haven)
Jade the Gargoyle (Final Haven)
Pasha the Sylvani Seer (Winter Haven)
Grok the Orc Head (A Pouch)
Kathryn Skress
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Kathryn Skress »

The now-corporial assassin can always unlock the door from the other side and step back out to get his things too.
Nelkie
Town Member
Town Member

Skills

Post by Nelkie »

My bad, I didn't read the new rule changes on assasin. The only change I would make is to remove (if I get hit, I lose the ability). I think it is chessy and will lead to arguments on wheather did I hit you before I hit you, etc....

And the use of Pass Through Wall needs to be defined. I can think of many interesting ways to abuse this skill as it is stated right now.

I phase a weapon through someone, a wall, etc...
My Thoughts

Aaron