Sleep Skills

Archived topics from the different rule forums.

Moderator: Admin

Nelkie
Town Member
Town Member

Sleep Skills

Post by Nelkie »

Suggestion on how the sleep skills work

Nerve Pinch – If hit in the correct location by a nerve pinch, person falls asleep for 5 minutes. Damaging the person will not wake them up. (counter by armor)
Sleep- If hit anywhere on the body the person falls asleep for 5 minutes. Damaging the person will not wake them up. (Counter by resist sleep)
Note: packet drive sleep effect is considered crush

Stun Strike:
Effect: causes a nerve pinch to the victim
Delivery Method: Must hit the creature from behind with a melee weapon
Protection: A helmet
Works on: Any creature that is alive and has a brain in some type of skull. Also the creature does not have head protection on or built in. (yes, that means wolves, moles, etc)
Time: Must choose a target and do 10 count. The next offensive action must be a nerve pinch to the back of the person.

Nerve Pinch:
Effect: causes a nerve pinch to the victim
Delivery Method: Must hit the creature in any non armored area with a hand fisrep. (Note: the legs, feet, and head do not count for nerve pinch because of safety issue. Dunking down to touch a leg of a person in battle is very dangerous and will lead to head hits).
Protection: A helmet and armor. If a helmet is not worn than a nerve pinch to the chest, even if in armor will knock out the person. This will represent the person being hit with the nerve pinch in the head
Works on: Any humanoid creature that is alive and has a brain in some type of skull. Also if the creature does not have head/body protection/ on or built in.
Time: Must choose a target and do 20 count. The next offensive action to the chosen target must be a nerve pinch to any non armored part of the body.

TOD:
Effect: causes a sleep effect to the victim
Delivery Method: Must touch the creature any where on the body with a melee weapon
Protection: Resist Sleep
Works on: Any creature that is alive
Time: Must choose a target and do 30 count. The next offensive action must be a sleep.

Emapth Sleep Effect :
Effect: causes a sleep effect to the victim
Delivery Method: Must hit a creature with a packet
Protection: Resist Sleep
Works on: Any creature that is alive
Time: Spend a life point and charge the effect for a 30 count. Can not move after charged. Must call magic sleep

I do not like the idea of being hit will cancel a skill. It adds another of complexity to the game, in which is not required. It also can lead into some arguments of where the skill should have gone off or not. The only time the sleep effects are deadly is when you are alone and have none of you friends close by. If thought out and planned properly the sleep effects can be countered very easly. All the abilities are pretty well balanced and have counters to each of them. Also remember a healer can negate all the sleep effects.
My Thoughts

Aaron
Nelkie
Town Member
Town Member

More

Post by Nelkie »

Another thought occured to me.

Nerve pinch can get sticky and confusing. So here is another idea for protection.

If a person is wearing a full chest plate which covers the back and shoulders and has a helmet, than they will be protected. If the person does not have all that covered, than nerve pinch can work any where on the body. The idea behind this is to make the use of the skill alittle safer. Instead of going for that 2" opening the arm gaurd and possibly hurting the victim or yourself, just have to hit the body.
My Thoughts

Aaron
GM_Chris
GM

re

Post by GM_Chris »

The reason for being hit counters ToD because if the thief as charged his ToD and you are alone you will die there is no counter really.

-Chris
Chris
I be one of the gamemasters so e-mail me questions if you have them
WayneO42
GM

Re: More

Post by WayneO42 »

Nelkie wrote:Another thought occured to me.

If a person is wearing a full chest plate which covers the back and shoulders and has a helmet, than they will be protected. If the person does not have all that covered, than nerve pinch can work any where on the body. The idea behind this is to make the use of the skill alittle safer. Instead of going for that 2" opening the arm gaurd and possibly hurting the victim or yourself, just have to hit the body.
I very strongly agree with this. Having a skill that is hit location specific is just asking for argument. I also agree with pretty much everything else Aaron wrote :) Good job!
Wayne O
The Game Master Lite
Frag the weak, Hurdle the dead!
Nelkie
Town Member
Town Member

You are right

Post by Nelkie »

Chris,

you are in the fact if you are alone with a thief, they could kill you. But remeber, the thief has to look at you and stand there for 20 secounds. This would be a good time for your character to run. or Wear the armor it takes to protect yourself.

The same argument can be said for a warrior. If you are alone with the warrior, he can beat you down before you can get away. 3 damage cuts through 20 life, armor, etc... very quickly

The empath can distroy any one expect the wrrior in one hit. 30 magic hurts.

So there is many scarry ways a person can die. The way I view FH is you do not want to be alone at any time, because it just that dangerous. And if you are follish enough to travel by yourself, we,ll it is your life.
My Thoughts

Aaron
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

Still have to go with the idea that nerve pinch should have a greater area of hit loctions than touch of death. I think guarding against touch of death should be (armor wise) just the breast plate. Nerve Pinch should be breastplate and helmet and stunstrike should be just helmet. That way there is an armor that blocks each one.
Nelkie
Town Member
Town Member

True

Post by Nelkie »

I see your point eric, but I was trying to create only one counter for each skill type. With TOD being a sleep effect, than resist sleep would protect you.
I just have to say, you watch way to much Batman to rember the TOD episode. : )

I just would like to keep it simple
My Thoughts

Aaron
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

Yeah, well, I watch way too much TV, Movies, etc for any of it to be healthy. Sad thing is I saw that batman episode in high school...

My whole thing is to not only be simple but have at least semi realisitic as well. Obviously none of the three skills are realisitc (minus stunstrike) in as far as the real world, but typically ToD has been a subpoint of nerve pinchs. Another example of nerve pinch vs. ToD is Xena (horrible show). She had about 20 different ways to nerve pinch someone, but only one (maybe two) points to actually kill them. If I had a neck guard and a chest plate she couldn't kill me, but could still knock me out.
Donovan Thynedar
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Donovan Thynedar »

What are the exact rules for charging a skill? Is there an announcement of any sort that has to be made, or can you just count off to yourself and attack/utilize the skill whenever you see fit? For instance, if there's a theif waiting along a trail, can he just charge up a TOD and wait for the next schlep to come along?
One should rather die than be betrayed. There is no deceit in death. It delivers precisely what it has promised. Betrayal, though ... betrayal is the willful slaughter of hope.
Nelkie
Town Member
Town Member

Charge up skills

Post by Nelkie »

Great questions. Keep them coming

As for charged up skills there is some rules for them.

There is basicly two types of charge up abilites.

First Is charge than can move about and talk but not use any other skill. When charging must stand still and do nothing else but count.
Skill that this falls under - empath ability lesser-greater channel. Note some of these types of charge abilties require to stand in place until used. (empath sleep effect, empath 30 magic attack)

Secound is chose a target, stand still doing the count, and the next offensive attck must be the charged skill or the skill is lost. Note you can move after you are charges. Target must be in sight when charging.
Skills -TOD, Nerve Pinch, Back Stab
My Thoughts

Aaron
Dallid
Deceased

Post by Dallid »

The count may be silent (and preferably so). You don't need to declare you are charging, however, if charging a packet spell, the packet must be held high and visible while charging.
Learn the past. Observe the present. Guide the future.
Peace420
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Peace420 »

In answer to you actaul question Taki, no an Assasin or a Thief must choose their actual target and then start the count. You can't charge a back stab and then back stab whoever presents their back first, same with ToD, I personally have one or the other charged on someone in every situation where I have been there for at least 30 seconds.
Death=Adder

One of these days...I'm going to cut you into little pieces...

~Pink Floyd~
Peace420
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Peace420 »

Chris think about your statement... alone with an Assasin (they have ToD don't have to be a thief to get it) and you would end up dead. Well of course it's an Assasin that is exactly the situation they are looking for, your original argument that you simply don't want it to be a combat skill makes much more sense, although I still believe that the take no damage from target is too much. The counter to not being assasinated is either always have a resist sleep on you or simply don't be alone with strangers, especially shady ones that put people to sleep with a touch.
Death=Adder

One of these days...I'm going to cut you into little pieces...

~Pink Floyd~