An idea on armor coverage on arms/legs

Archived topics from the different rule forums.

Moderator: Admin

GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

Well lets see what othre GM's say. :)

I could see a full suite of medium, and if so it is a good example of medium.
Chris
I be one of the gamemasters so e-mail me questions if you have them
Marcus
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Marcus »

I could always do a mix of 'fake' and real, seeing as we want to do away with the seperation. Have a set of biker chaps like Atrum, with leather thigh and shin plates like I already have riveted on. Although that seems really hot, and not in the good way.
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

I think you should fight for/make a case for why your armor should be full medium armor.
Chris
General Maximus
Town Member
Town Member

Post by General Maximus »

BTW, how do you post a PIC in the forum? I would like ot get input on my armor.
Marcus
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Marcus »

I think you should fight for/make a case for why your armor should be full medium armor.
I think the bracers should be counted as medium arms because most people I have talked about armor in the game with told me that they would. Also, I always figured shoulders were part of the torso armor, not an arm joint, so when I never saw anyone (with a couple exceptions) with elbow cops/lames on their bracers I figured they were counting the bracers as full arms, so I did the same.

The legs? Mostly because while a pair of greaves with a knee cap count as full legs because they cover a joint, my leg armor covers a larger area of my legs than that, and are more complicated to put on. They take long enough that to not get cought flat-footed in a raid, I sleep in them, from belt to boots.
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

Devis advocate time: :)

I personally was always against giving armor points for bracers and have always considered them decorative.

As for the legs I think you have a valid point.
Chris
Marcus
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Marcus »

I personally was always against giving armor points for bracers and have always considered them decorative
Really? Huh, I didn't know that until now.

I know personally I have always figured they are the most important piece of arm armor in a LARP specifically because they are the section that any player can get ahold of pretty easily, regardless of their money situations or OG crafting ability. I have made every part of my armor except the bracers (because I'm no good at tooling designs, and these have cooler ones than what I made), and I haven't even found the time to learn how to make articulated arms, either shoulders or elbows, because of the care you have to take to make them fit properly.

Also, my body armor is incompatible with external shoulder armor (the pauldron/spaulder types) because for it to legally cover my shoulders for a different type of foam fighting (Belegarth/ Dagorhir full contact) I had to add the steel banding you might be able to see in the pic. So I can only use chainmail underneath unless I tear out the rivets holding the bands down, which is no easy task to do and still keep the leather underneath intact.

My other main thought is that when a new player is coming from a non-LARP gaming background, like I said before, many RPG's count bracers as filling the 'arm' slot in armor category, so that's what they are familiar with.
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

Good points!
Chris
General Maximus
Town Member
Town Member

Here are some points on bracers. You typical have to remove them to use a shield, they rub and chafe the wrist, limit wrist movement, and depends on how large they are, limit elbow movement.
I see them as armor because of thise reasons and not to mention they truely protect your fore arms from hits that might have brused a person. Fore arms are one of the most hit loactions!
Slisk
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Slisk »

Bracers should certainly be half an arm location!
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

He is looking for a full arm location
Chris
Marcus
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Marcus »

Not just for me, for anyone. I'm competent with leatherworking, so I can just as easily add on some shoulders, or a rarebrace (biceps) linked to a vambrace with a chainmail tube over the elbow area so I get full arms.

Don't know as a lot of others can, though, is my point.
WayneO42
GM

Post by WayneO42 »

I would call CJs armour Medium because of the rings. The arms would count as a half location because it doesnt cross a joint but does cover a fair deal of the arms. The legs would also be a half location because they do not cross a joint (although they may cross the hips but I cant see in the pic). The chest location is fully covered so:

Medium (1/2 Legs+ 1/2 Arms)= 2
Medium Chest = 2
Total= 4 armour points= Light Armour Catagory
Wayne O
The Game Master Lite
Frag the weak, Hurdle the dead!
General Maximus
Town Member
Town Member

But it was siad before the shoulder counted as an arm joint, so wouldn't the arms be be full?? That him in the chain mail :D
WayneO42
GM

Post by WayneO42 »

I'm looking at the picture below. No chainmaile in that picture:

Wayne O
The Game Master Lite
Frag the weak, Hurdle the dead!