Real vs Fake Armor

Archived topics from the different rule forums.

Moderator: Admin

Slisk
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Slisk »

For 100 CR, I will learn.
Marcus
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Marcus »

Howabout saying armor made from modern materials must pass the '10 foot rule', which states, "If it looks like what it's supposed to be representing from 10 feet, it's legal to use."

The other thing is why we even have to quantitate modern materials and their legality for armor construction. So far I haven't seen a player using modern materials that looked crappy in either chapter. The closest thing would be NPC's, but that's a whole different animal because they have to constantly change roles, so Samurai Armor can be made from blue-foam covered in tape, because the alternative is too expensive for a disposable character.

Was this a problem with players in the past?
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

yeah it is more of an issue from the past,.

You are right though if our entire player base looks good then why have a "fake" catagory.

My issue right now is with wieght and encombrance. I want to make sure we are fair.

If we want to encourage fesco wearing full plate then he needs to get more than someone else.

My thought, oh boy people might not like this, but is to put in a skill that allows a person to get more out of armor up to heavy armor. So you can buy this skill and you can go from light to medium and medium to heavy.

I have no idea what this would look like, but it allows those with full plate to not have to buy a skill, but those who's armor might only qualify as light or medium gain 3 more armor points.
Chris
I be one of the gamemasters so e-mail me questions if you have them
Marcus
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Marcus »

Kind of like a classless Armor Specialization. I see where you're coming from.
Zydana
GM

Post by Zydana »

GM_Chris wrote: If we want to encourage fesco wearing full plate then he needs to get more than someone else.
rule_book page 101 wrote:
Wearing medieval fantasy clothing is not required, but it is encouraged and rewarded. A character may receive up to an additional two life points based on how visible any modern clothes are and how authentic your costume is. At the very least, we ask that you wear sweat pants and a tabard.
Isn't the armor part of costumeing? Give them the extra life points.

But then you may question, "what about when they're not wearing the armor?" I guess then I don't know - convert the life points to armor points for when they are wearing the armor maybe?
Marcus
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Marcus »

I think the big question is whether Daine should get -1 CR for his eyepatch. Because to quote Leela from Futurama, "Hold still! I don't have good depth perception!"

Pesonally I would wear full plate completely for the unmechanical advantage of 'coolness factor'. Shock and awe, baby.... shock and awe.
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

I guess it could be a general skill anyone could buy for say 20 points. It puts it in line with combat reflexes (3 points), but not as good since you must have a physrep and it is not self repairable. Forces those with not quite up to par armor to buy into something for more armor without everyone else learning a new skill. Cominsates for money limitations.

Hmm might be the right way to go

We could then get rid of the fake catagory and then in cases where we feel the armor just doesnt weigh enough for say heavy or medium you as a player could buy the skill.

Thoughts?
Chris
General Maximus
Town Member
Town Member

Post by General Maximus »

Hmmm, I see what you are saying and it's not a bad idea. But instead of forcing people to spend points, why not give a benifit to the people who where full plate armor? There are only a few :D
The benifit can be simple and give no combat mechaincal bonus above what can found in game now.

Ideas -
1. don't have to pay upkeep on the armopr locattions that are in full plate
2. The armor points work just like combat relfex's
3. The armor automaticly is considered quality. (aka you get qualitya rmor for free)

These bonus can be only applied to heavy armor that weigh a lot and is serverly combuesome, like Doug's armor.

The idea of having to spend points to upgrade your armor category is not bad, but feels wonky to me :D I just can't put my finger on it, I'm not in favor of it, but not against it. The skill basicly give a person 3 more armor points but be able to use more forgiving armor.

Hmmm! I up in the air on this one!!
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

I dont want to increase soak so all of those ideas would be out.

Look at it this way. Those who are wearing fake armor MUST buy a skill if they want it to act like real armor. Those in ral armor get teh advantage of not having to buy the skill. There now it is in terms of a positive instead of a negaitve. :twisted:

Here is yet another problem. You have someone who spent a bunch of time and money on a suit of armor. This armor does not fall into the catagory the player hoped for. We end up feeling bad so we make an exception. BEfore long everyone gets an exception. Aaron, your armor for example wouldfall into medium so I hope that is what you wanted when you made it. :)

We get into arguments about time, money, out oog game considerations, how cool the armor looks, and we cave.

I would like to be more accurate and true in armor judging and then give people the option to "up their catagory". This way we are being true and fair across the board instead of always caving in to peer presure.
Chris
General Maximus
Town Member
Town Member

First, you sold me on it. It's a good and fair solution!

And secound which means nothing, none of the ideas increase soak a person can take. Just grants them a bonus that removes some of the hardship from wearing armor :P

Now, back to judgeing armor!!
Would my armor be considered full medium coverage?
Peace420
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Peace420 »

I'm still not understanding why you are intent on getting rid of the fake category, especially since having real armor is not a requirement set down in the rules. Sweat pants, a tabbard, and a set of polished iron chain?. As I said, unless you are going to turn away people thenyou NEED different categories to give mechanical encouragement. You already reward real armor somewhat.

How about giving people like Fesko who show up in real plate or heavy .oz leather and\or chain some built in advantage similiar to Kandium or one of the other alchecraftmetals? don't have to raise soak, don't have to come up with any new stuff and people with exceptionally realistic armor get a bonus.

Simple, not unbalancing, you can even have them pay the cost to upkeep, maybe even at a discounted rate.

People will complain about "being unfair" all the time, it happens alot more than I think you guys may realize now. So having the perception of being unfair erally isn't a concern. No matter what you do someone will see it that way.
Last edited by Peace420 on Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Death=Adder

One of these days...I'm going to cut you into little pieces...

~Pink Floyd~
General Maximus
Town Member
Town Member

The more I think about, the better I like it! Chain mail can be considered medium armor like it should be and than people can buy the skill to get up to heavy. I know Eric is going to like this idea. He was always bitching about people getting heavy armor rating for wearing chain.

Great idea and solution Chris :D I give it 2 thumbs up
Peace420
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Peace420 »

Chain with something else under it that would be considered armor SHOULD be considered heavy.
Death=Adder

One of these days...I'm going to cut you into little pieces...

~Pink Floyd~
General Maximus
Town Member
Town Member

I can see leather under the chain being heavy :D , Put just plain chain, than medium.
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

Eric is on crack about chain mail.

I can put on some chain mail and go into a shark cage and have them go munchy munchy on me and still stay safe. If plate was better then the divers would be wearing it.
Chris