Resource transfer

Archived topics from the different rule forums.

Moderator: Admin

Onimaster
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Onimaster »

Well, keep in mind as well that there was a lot of info about the gates that was kept hush hush by the gatekeepers Woden and Talana, but he's dead and Tonia hasn't been coming for a while. We can'y just assume that players will have the info/rules about the gates since the actual travel is out of game. If it's not written down where peopl can see it then why could they follow it? They'd have to know to ask a GM, and even we were fuzzy on what was a concencus. Having it in the rules makes it finite and resolute even for chapters that don't exist yet.
Vaal Draconus,
Dwarven King
Survivor of the Dreaming
& Champion of Life.

or

Nikolai Petrov,
Traveling Cossack Sage
NewGuy
Town Member
Town Member

Post by NewGuy »

"Chapters that don't exist yet" need to come out to CO, so I can play again.
GLOMP!
General Maximus
Town Member
Town Member

Post by General Maximus »

Here is a quote from the rule book from the resource section
Any resources not carried must be left in the open or stored in a container.
So the people who told you where incorrect. So please from now on, tell people about the rule. :D
GM-Mike
GM

Post by GM-Mike »

I ask because I know of people who have told me that they store their resources in small boxes because the rules say containers are only for "Carrying" resources, not storing
So in the post about armor, Chris mentioned that the look and feel of the game is a reason why he contemplates quitting (his words were something like the game has trouble retaining me so I translated). The above is why I sometimes contemplate quitting. Not necessarily this particular example, mind you, but things like this. And don't take this post to mean that I am angry, even when you see the all caps in a few seconds. It's mere frustration because we try to play a game, we try to have fun, and the constant need that we get from people to spell out every stupid little thing can drive you up the wall. I know. I'm actually writing this on the ceiling.

So, as calm as possible. And before I start, I know we consolidate things a little, make it a little unrealistic even in the carrying around rules, but that's really neither here nor there. So, let's review. 3 food tokens represents actual food. In fact, it represents a month's worth of good eating. Okay, I concede it is not realistic to carry that much food around with you, but the rules state that you can so there's your marker. A month's food, you heroes can carry around at all times with no problem. Okay, so let's see, 50 food would be...(three goes into five one time with two left over, three goes into twenty six times with two left over)...ABOUT 16 MONTHS WORTH OF FOOD...IN A SMALL BOX...BECAUSE THE RULES ONLY TALK ABOUT CARRYING THEM AROUND...WHAT KIND OF SENSE DOES THAT MAKE!!!!!!

Now, I'm a realist, I get it, but let me finish. Sure you can keep all of your tags in a small box, as long as that small box is in a place that can hold all your food, like a secret storage area in the fort or a large box in the middle of the inn or in a hole in the woods (but you sure as hell better go to that hole whenever you want to get some resources).

Again, I'm not mad, especially about this particular example because I do understand the need to keep those blasted tags in an orderly fashion. I'm only using this as an example because it just came up and is a very good example of what drives me in particular crazy, that at times it seems like we need a rule book that is fourteen thousand pages long that has been proofread and edited by a lawyer to make sure that even though the intention is obvious (and no one come back at me and say otherwise or I might cry), that we still need to spell everything out.
GM-Mike
GM

Post by GM-Mike »

Thanks Aaron, I thought that was an actual rule, but the spirit of my post still stands, that if you know the intention of the rule (and you usually do), don't violate it, even if it is not spelled out exactly. I know people will argue with that statement. I in fact know who you are. You know who you are. There is therefore no need to reply here :wink:
cole45
Town Member
Town Member

Post by cole45 »

of course, if you go to coins, this all goes away. not sure if that's a pro or con, just sayin.
Travis Cole
GM-Phil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by GM-Phil »

And Mike, I agree with you 110%.. I even mentioned it to the people that I talked to about where they store resources..

As the example I bring up to people is.. Scott and I play a couple of semi-loners over in WH.. we managed to work out a deal with some people and brought in a couple of trade routes.. and due to a plot had come across a lvl2 container that could hold 25 resources. So when we got our Resources from our Production Sources we had something like 50 or more resources.. So what did we do.. we put 25 in our Container.. a rather nice sized trunk I had purchased at Hobby Lobby, and put the rest of the resources on the groud on the inside of our cabin, under the bunks and such.. now I even felt a little cheesy about this, but got over it since anyone who decided to glance under a bunk could easily snatch several resources. We felt we were doing our part to follow the rules and role-play what we had... Later this event at least twice we came across people we were trading with that pulled a small box out of their OOG clothes, and pulled out of that box something on the order of 20+ resources.. now mind you this box was Ohhh abut the size of a normal jewerly box. So Here Scott and I were thinking. Now what really got us was during this event many cabins got broken into, and many resources got stolen.. and do you know who the majority of that got stolen.. the ones in the bib box hiding as best as could be hidden in a corner.. Now tell me how we are encouraged to follow the rules at that point when many people who's cabins were broken into did not get their resources stolen due to where their resources were hiding.

I hope i do not sound like I am whining, I merely wish to bring up an issue that has been bugging me for quite some time. Taki and I had hoped to cure this problem with some rules suggestions.. but since we are sticking with the current set, i really just hope the Gm's might be able to keep a bit of a lid on where people store resources.. If not this is not something that would stop me from playing, but is a concern for me.. I mean we are all adults.. why must we try "cheating" at a role-playing game.. really. if you do that, why role-play at all?
General Maximus
Town Member
Town Member

Post by General Maximus »

I totaly agree! That is my biggest pet peave. See my post in general disscussion.
Marcus
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Marcus »

One of my goals as Daine is to craft a trunk, so I can leave it unlocked but trap it all the time. For some reason FH/WH doesn't have any trapped containers. WTF's up with a RPG with no trapped containers around?? :lol:

I always understood to transfer resources- you had to carry ALL of them through the gate to transfer. That's why as Durgan I only carried as many tags as I could fit in a backpack. Others got left at home, the only additional tags I got at the event were from Barter, and those usually took the place of any upkeep tags I burned to stay healthy at the chapter I was currently at.