Faith

Archived topics from the different rule forums.

Moderator: Admin

dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

However, he also created order in it's wake by letting the elves have the land...

Order for one group, Chaos for another, but doesn't answer good or evil at all.
My posts in no way reflect that of anyone else nor are they in any way official.
Corbyn
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Corbyn »

I think this whole idea is ready for play-testing. The first character that prays to me via PM gets to be "Pope". The only costume requirement will be a suitable hat. :lol:
Corbyn Gravesbane
Lord High Cavalier
The Hand of Woodhold
Elder of Final Haven
Torakhan
Town Member
Town Member

Double Standards

Post by Torakhan »

If worshiping someone as a God or diety is immoral to you IRL and and therefore can not be roleplayed by others, then must we stop roleplaying murder, stealing and other immoral acts too? The reasoning sets a bad prescient.
WayneO42 wrote:We are going to associate out of game religious symbols with their out of game meaning because we are culturally conditioned to do so. There is no stopping that because we are in the real world much more often than we are in Phanterra.
So does that mean that you're going to be changing the name of "Witch Hunter", "Druid" and "Paladin" along with any other ability/potion/common item that has any sort of IRL relgious affiliation in the new season?
Arthur Dreese - West Michigan
I just want to see tomorrow, day by day to just survive. / But this place is built to kill me. No one here gets out alive. ~Alice Cooper "Cold Machines"
"Beware the designer who does not design to play his own game." ~Justin Achilli, Vampire: the Masquerade Developer
Sheogorath
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Sheogorath »

Wow, I ask a little question go away for a day and its 4 pages long now...

Interesting discussion, What I was going for was not a all powerful creator, but more of an afterlife/the concept of the 'essence or soul' (which we already have becasue In game I have also been to the hall of heroes, a gm made plot.)

I like the idea of a LOTR style faith, but I think simulated praying/worship, not organized in anyway to *insert being/s of choice here* to only role play such things as maybe a faith based healer or that somehow one gets their arcanic magic from beyond this world, or something along those lines but no mechanic advantages.

And I have to agree with Torakhan in that if you consider that immoral what of the other bad things and also, how easy is it to create a new symbol? And why would there have to be a symbol? Everyone has their own faith belief, no groups have the same, so theoretically everyone could have their own symbol.
I am me, except for when I am not, then I'm not me, I'm him. Then again when I am not me, who is me?
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

Bad precident is not accurate since it has been this way since the begginning of CARPS which has been going on for 10-15 year.

As for the murder thing there are groups that would agree with you that it too should not be simulated. I simply have 1 problem and that is the simulation of praying to a deity.

As for the afterlife read Wayne's post since it does have that information.

If the praying to other deities is of utmost important to your enjoyment I encourage you to start an unofficial chapter of finalhaven or even create your own LARP. It is what makes America great.
Chris
I be one of the gamemasters so e-mail me questions if you have them
NewGuy
Town Member
Town Member

Post by NewGuy »

(yeah, I leave town for 2 days and there's a bazillion posts)

CJ, I was there when you were visciously berated for mentioning an InGame local that the characters had visited.
GLOMP!
Slisk
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Slisk »

Yeah, I go as far as FH lets me. :wink: There was one plot in the first or second year where Phanterra communicated directly with Dallid and guided him to help expunge an invasive 'pocket reality'. Thus did I immediately latch on to the idea that Phanterra was a sentient thing that we were all a part of and sought to expell anything that was from 'outside' or 'didn't belong'. Hense did I place an understanding on the metaphysics of 'Banish'.

It was a great centering experience that let me form a belief system without getting too deep into religion. Defintely try to keep it LOTR.
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

Then Dallid left us and look what happened to Corbyn. :P
My posts in no way reflect that of anyone else nor are they in any way official.