Bonus for Good Physrep's

Archived topics from the different rule forums.

Moderator: Admin

General Maximus
Town Member
Town Member

Bonus for Good Physrep's

Post by General Maximus »

This discussion died with no outcome. Is this something people like? Should bonus start being applied? Get some feedback? is this a bad idea and be a wste of time to move foward with it?

First, though we cannot enforce rules that are negative in nature (eg requirements for phy-reps), we can, however, enforce positives (eg real armor bonus). On this thought:

Ideas (all of these are tweakable, I just pulled them out quick):
Potions - if no phyrep for the potion, it's a 5 count then ripping the tag. Otherwise, it's the act of simulating drinking it and ripping the tag. Vials must be 2" long x 1/2" diameter (arbitrary) with a tag on them to be considered viable phys-reps.

Potion labs - if a lab is considered suitable via (X standards) and placed in an obvious location (eg no invisible caves), then all potion times are reduced by 5%. Each character must have their own kit. (arbitrary percent, would have to look at times to get a better feel)

Arcane - if a character has the suitable equipment and can demonstrate a full process (ie singing, placing stones, etc) that has repeatable sections (for longer spells) then casting times are reduced by 5%. (again arbitrary percent)

Resources - If a pool of resources (ie more than 3) is placed in a (large) bin with large, obvious tags on the top, and all 4 sides with the words "RESOURCES" on it and is placed in an obvious area, then 3% (this needs to be more of a chart for rounding purposes) of the resources contained are given at checkout.

Concerning people who have things in caves in the woods, you have to mark your cave with a big (think 6" wide christmas ribbons) (insert color) ribbon and a tag on a tree at head level. Otherwise, you get no bonus.

Also, on resources, if you place all your resources in a little ziplock (or some other small unmarked container) and someone finds it, they may take the entire ziplock at once (defeating the carrying limits) directly to X (npc camp or their own stash?). (this needs a bit of help as to what if they are attacked, avoiding cheese weasel moves of making transport easier by "finding" a buddy's stash, etc).

At any rate, basically, to improve things, you give a bonus to the people that do it. It doesn't need to be big, just something. Later on, with a larger player base, you could consider higher requirements.

And I know the idea was mentioned (I believe it was Heidi) on the alchemy book thread, but I believe I took it as more substantial cuts. So I'll give Heidi her due here. (mark this day, cause it only happens once in a blue moon)
marduk
Town Member
Town Member

Post by marduk »

I like the idea of benefits for "good" physreps. Is the intention to have benefits for physreps that are made from "real" materials, such as armor, or is it to benefit something looking good? For example: Anyone can make a crappy piece of steel armor, but a better looking suit of plastic/ composite armor would possibly look better. Under the current rules, crappy metal gets the benefit, but authentic plastic does not. I know I would much rather RP with the Trashcan Samurai than someone who looks like they came out of an actual trash-heap. As for weapon phys-reps, there is no way a weapon can be made out of real materials, but can we reward for authenticity? What about weapons that are shaped more like actual weapons than round foam? Ideas?
General Maximus
Town Member
Town Member

My opinon would be the physrep would look good and add to the atmosphere of the game.

The skills that would get bonus's if you physrep'ed them would be the following

Armor - good looking.real armor would get a time reduction for repairing
Alchmey lab for brewing potions - Brewing time reduction
Forge for the craftsman - time reduction
potions vials - time is as long as it takes to pretent drink and read vrs wait 5 sec if no vial.
Resources - get a % back, or just change to a resource money system

I would also like ot see people rewarded for decroating the Inn and building, bringing doors to the fort, supplying drinks for the Inn, etc.. I would suggest free level. people put forth much effort, time and money, and I think they should be rewarded for there efforts. It adds to the game and lets say thank you to them.
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

We just started talking about root rules. I would suggest discussing what your core beliefs about the game should be.

For example:
Would you rather have something look real or look good?
Would you rather have inexpensive or expensive?
Would you rather have have alot of GM envolvement or little?
Would you rather it be realistic in materials or looks?
Would you rather have skills to replace armor?

You can ask similiar questions for pretty much any aspect of the game/

Those are the type of questions you should all discuss first.
Chris
I be one of the gamemasters so e-mail me questions if you have them
Sheogorath
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Sheogorath »

Would you rather have something look real or look good?
1. Both should be rewarded. There is a reward already it is the 2 LP given for good costume, yet almost everyone I have seen gets that as long as they are not in jeans or something. But I think those who go above and beyond what is expected in costume should get maybe like 3 LP or a Combat reflex or something.

2. If someone can take inexpensive and make it look just as good or better then someone who just spent a lot of money and bought something fancy, then they should get the same reward.

3. No comment, I wouldn't know how that would be like so I will not talk about it.

4. Again, if one can take foam and make it look like metal they should deserve an equal bonus.

5. Do we not already have this? Combat Reflexes?
I am me, except for when I am not, then I'm not me, I'm him. Then again when I am not me, who is me?
General Maximus
Town Member
Town Member

I'm confused on this question. I thought this was already established?

I thought the game was an inexpensive LARP.

Here are the answers the questions as I see them now.

1. Bonus are granted to only real armor. I believe it should change to real and or good looking armor. Wearing any type of armor is cubmersome, so I a person wants to spend the time making some fake armor look good (Vorlean for example), they should get a bonus. It's all about submersion of the FH world. And that is a balance between real and what looks real and good.

2. I think everyone would like to keep the game inexpensive

3. GM involvement of what? Polecing people equipment and physrep's? I would say no. You can designated PC's to do that. Maybe have marshals that determine if such items get bonus or not during check in.

4. Again, it is a balance between them. For the most part, you need realistic materials to get the good looks, but there are some people who can make fake stuff look good. So give them a bonus

5. Getting rid of armor would be a mistake. It adds alot to the game.

This post and Idea was to help get the game to the next level. Bonus's work better that enforcing penlities.
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

I do not want to give bonuses and have a bunch of different rules. I want to have 1 rule. I do not want a fake armor rule and a real armor rule. I do not want a no phys rep rule and a phys rep rule. I want to come up with the rule. It will shorten the rule book. It will remove contravery. It will most likely remove players.

I want to have 1 rule for armor. So if we go with say "Everything has to be real" then the larp gets too expensive. If we go with "fake, as long as iot looks good is OK" then you have the people wearing real armor complaining because those in fake have a weight\encombrance advantage.

If we give advantages to those who can spend more money then you have those who can't complaining. We cannot make every person happy. It is not possible. What we need is a good rule that we can all live with or atleast make the least amount of people upset.
Chris
General Maximus
Town Member
Town Member

One rule. Hmm

Does that mean that one rule will be enforced by the GM's? Penalities given out to ones not following them? Or will people be expected to live by the honor system? Rules are only as good as the people who are willing to follow them and those willing to enforce them.

One rule works fine, but answer me this, how will the one rule be enforced?
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

Enforced? Well in the case of armor it is either you have it or you do not have it.
Chris
marduk
Town Member
Town Member

Post by marduk »

GM_Chris wrote: Would you rather have something look real or look good?
I would rather have a cheap, good looking thing vs. a real thing. When all is said and done, we can have as much real stuff to try and limit our need to pretend but the bottom line is that this is a pretending game. I mean, it is more immersion breaking for me to see a dude in plate mail swinging a foam sword. I do not like skills replacing armor, because then we don't know if someone is armored or not. just my imput.

Steve
gingerswenson
New in Town
New in Town

Post by gingerswenson »

How about this. (I am a newby and don't feel bad if this is way off base)

At check in:

If the GM's think your "costume / phys rep" is worthy of a bonus then at that time you may or may not get a special boon. And it will only last that one event. (then there is no cheese with "but last time I wore my cool thing but forgot it this time") And then at the next event if the GM's think it over powering the PC they could easily adjust.

IE:
Great costume for an Arcane:Reduce charge by x
Great phys rep'd sword: Swing for an extra x

Whatever... Just an Idea.
Andian
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Andian »

That suggestion has been brought up in the past. Many people didn't like it because it created a possible unfairness factor to those who couldn't afford or have the time to create realistic phys-reps. Yet, I don't see why it can't be play tested. Though, it would put a little bit more stress on the GMs before each game.
Knight of the Frozen Way, Sir Andian Eannon
"Law is mind without reason."
--Aristotle
Verity and Equity
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

You are back to discussing bonuses. :) I just wanted a rule.

Like I do not want to set the bar at "we will allow jeans" and then say if you do not wear jeans then we will give you a bonus.

Rather just say "People have to have an adaquit costume or you do not play.
Chris
General Maximus
Town Member
Town Member

Here my view on the one rule for certian things

1. Armor - remove the rule that you need to take your armor off to get repaired (it adds nothing to the game). Remove the real/fake armor bonus from the game. Armor rating is determined by the look, material, and coverage of the armor.

Armor rating
Light armor - any flexible material that only limits movement slightly (leather jaket and pants, heavy cloth, etc...)

Med/ heavy - Any harden (Armor that does not flex) or heavy armor (Chain mail) that limits a person movement. Examples are harden leather, chain mail, plate

Note: Chain mail that is made out of aliumiin or another light metal could only be considered medium armor. Only heavy steel chain mail can be considered heavy.

2. Alchemy and craftsman. No physreps are required until the process is completed. Once the time is put in, the resources are spent and tags are created. One could not steal or mess with brewing potions or partialy created craft items until they are completed. This keeps stuff simple and less complications are added to the game.

3. Potions. You can carry as many on you as you want (good luck on grabing the correct one when you need it). But to drink a potion, you must have the tag in hand, read the entire tag, rip it up. Can only drink 1 potion at a time. It should take 2-5 secs to drink a potion. (having to physrep potion vials is not going to make or break the game, so lets keep it simple)

4. Must physrep all weapons, shields, armor, and in game items one carries. (the exception is alchemy potions). Note: must carry all the tags that go with the physrep items. No physrep and or tag means the person does not have that item on them.

5. Resources. I'll have to get back to that one. Maybe the coin/resources system would be the best.
Andian
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Andian »

I'd always thought clothing was a difficult situation to come up with even a majority of happiness on any given choice on it. Though I do feel that if the costume life bonus is taken away from those just wearing street clothes, it would reduce the amount of people taking away from the emersion of the game. I don't think it's too expensive to get draw string pajama bottoms, non-glossy running pants, or possibly leather/pleather pants *if you want to spend the money*; rather than blue jeans.
Last edited by Andian on Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Knight of the Frozen Way, Sir Andian Eannon
"Law is mind without reason."
--Aristotle
Verity and Equity