Hunting

Archived topics from the different rule forums.

Moderator: Admin

Sheogorath
Town Member
Town Member

Hunting

Post by Sheogorath »

Here is a question. Say someone had Scout, or something like it that allowed them to track tracks and find things in the wilderness. Could by this reasoning a scout find wild animals that could be hunted and killed for hide and food?

I could see that getting out of control with everyone doing that but it could easily be controlled by having a set number of hunts and or wild animals allowed per event.

OOG they would go to NPC camp and fight some wild animal beasties...

Could this be a possibility?
I am me, except for when I am not, then I'm not me, I'm him. Then again when I am not me, who is me?
WayneO42
GM

Post by WayneO42 »

Hunting is represented with the wilderness survival skill. You get one food and one hide at the start of the event.

If you want more in game, you could always go scouting around to see what you can find but whether you are the hunter or the hunted may change rapidly.
Wayne O
The Game Master Lite
Frag the weak, Hurdle the dead!
Torakhan
Town Member
Town Member

... ain't no Bambi 'round here!

Post by Torakhan »

WayneO42 wrote:If you want more in game, you could always go scouting around to see what you can find but whether you are the hunter or the hunted may change rapidly.
*Trancer, the Scout goes hunting for deer.... carefully he stalks his prey. The deer's ears pivot, picking up the sounds of the scout. Trancer shoots his bow*
"2 Vorpal!"
*The deer turns around and attacks Trancer*
"Three crush! Three Crush! Three Crush!" killing the scout with its giant swinging claws.

On the other hand, do you think "normal" animals even exist in an environment where giant doom worms inhabit the ground, and monstrous fire-breathing lizard-octopi-things ravage the landscape? There are no cute fluffy bunnies, no simple deer or fish. Everything is a monster. So hunting is more or less you fighting monsters. Even the COWS are sentient and swing axes! ;)

And while I'm being mostly funny here... I think that this sort of explaination is a decent one too.

Beware the bunny that can survive in Phantera!
Arthur Dreese - West Michigan
I just want to see tomorrow, day by day to just survive. / But this place is built to kill me. No one here gets out alive. ~Alice Cooper "Cold Machines"
"Beware the designer who does not design to play his own game." ~Justin Achilli, Vampire: the Masquerade Developer
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

especially the ones that start off healing you... :shock:

(still one of my favorite CARPS memories)
My posts in no way reflect that of anyone else nor are they in any way official.
Kalphoenix
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Kalphoenix »

WayneO42 wrote:Hunting is represented with the wilderness survival skill. You get one food and one hide at the start of the event.
My only bummer with this is that there is now no way to get Wilderness Survival unless you are savage. So if you are common, you can't have the skills to hunt. Sorry.
marduk
Town Member
Town Member

Post by marduk »

Ah....I remember a time when Druid, a COmmon/Savage Discipline had Wilderness Survival.......
Peace420
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Peace420 »

Really none of the common disciplines have wilderness survival at all? That seems kinda wonky, I definitely could always see the privileged without it.
Death=Adder

One of these days...I'm going to cut you into little pieces...

~Pink Floyd~
marduk
Town Member
Town Member

Post by marduk »

It is important for Priveledged to not have Survival, after all their dominance of the Wild world is what makes them Priveledged after all. But Common folk should have something. This is where the scout laks a little. I used to like Druid as having it. It was kindof a transition between savage and common.
Sheogorath
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Sheogorath »

It would make sense for Scout to have wilderness survival. If they can make a haven and hide out in it for almost ever, have the ability to track, then why should they not have the ability to hunt.

I do not hunt in real life, and I know this is not the in game reason for it, but a scout's haven would basically be a deer blind while they watch for prey.
I am me, except for when I am not, then I'm not me, I'm him. Then again when I am not me, who is me?
WayneO42
GM

Post by WayneO42 »

I do not hunt in real life, and I know this is not the in game reason for it, but a scout's haven would basically be a deer blind while they watch for prey.
Thats not an accurate analogy because you cannot attack from within a Haven. A Haven is more like finding a place to hide from people (The enemy) who are looking for you.
Wayne O
The Game Master Lite
Frag the weak, Hurdle the dead!
Andian
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Andian »

Though I can kind of see where this concept of scout/hunter comes from. The ability to spend ones time in the forest for long periods of time would require not only shelter or a hiding place. It'd would require food as well. Yet, I can also see why it was given to Savage only, they can use the hide as clothing. Once again, a debate where I can see both sides.
Knight of the Frozen Way, Sir Andian Eannon
"Law is mind without reason."
--Aristotle
Verity and Equity
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

Druid got changed from Wilderness survival to Scout last year I think. Before you could build a completely self sufficent character (food, cloth, supplies-wise) in savage and that was removed.

pre-this year you could get (max):
6 resources - savage
4 - common
2 - privileged

now:
4 - savage
2 - common
2 - privileged
My posts in no way reflect that of anyone else nor are they in any way official.
marduk
Town Member
Town Member

Post by marduk »

Is that the fabled Savage Rogue/druid/beast hunter with Sage skills until Utilize resource?

Does diplomat play into your equations?
Peace420
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Peace420 »

I STILL and never will understand the notion that there is absolutely no way someone could survive on their own.
Death=Adder

One of these days...I'm going to cut you into little pieces...

~Pink Floyd~
GM-Mike
GM

Post by GM-Mike »

Perhaps when we unleash some new rules, there will at least be a chance of surviving on your own...