Bonus for Good Physrep's

Archived topics from the different rule forums.

Moderator: Admin

Wyrmwrath
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Wyrmwrath »

You do know that the costuming part doesnt mean elves have to wear flowery and highly embroidered attire or orcs have to wear furs and hides. That means wearing horns for Tsunotaurs, and beards for dwarves, wings for gargoyles, feathers for aviana, and ears for elves as they arent make up.

Make up is the stuff that you apply with a sponge, and as such elves dont have a MAKE-UP component to their race UNLESS they are an off shoot elf like drow/dark elves or "Vauhn" type elves.
Grand High Chancellor of ROBUST UNPLEASANTNESS
...and the 11th commandment is:

"The stupid shall be punished!"
Kalphoenix
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Kalphoenix »

GM_Chris wrote: FYI I am under the oppinion that beards are not enough to determin if someone is a dwarf.
Well the rules say you have to paint your face red. It says your entire face, unless you have a beard, in which case you can paint just your cheeks. I think there was some confusion that led folks to believe that if they had a beard, they didn't need to paint their faces. This is untrue. You still have to paint your face. Just less of it.

Also, on half-breeds...how would you tell if someone was a half-human? I mean, since humans have no racial costuming requirements.

Half-breeds are supposed to be prerequisite-d by GMs anyway, so I believe it's up to the GMs to tell the player what their racial costuming requirements are for half-breeds and sub-races.

Also, this is a fantasy game. Telling a person they "can't" play a certain race that is in the rulebooks because they are too tall or too short seems pretty silly to me.
marduk
Town Member
Town Member

Post by marduk »

Peace420 wrote:
dier_cire wrote: I think the intent was that lifestyle would be the way you were raised.
Not just intent, it's actually in the rules that way :wink
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

Also, this is a fantasy game. Telling a person they "can't" play a certain race that is in the rulebooks because they are too tall or too short seems pretty silly to me
Exactly
Chris
I be one of the gamemasters so e-mail me questions if you have them
marduk
Town Member
Town Member

Post by marduk »

Kalphoenix wrote:
GM_Chris wrote: FYI I am under the oppinion that beards are not enough to determin if someone is a dwarf.
Well the rules say you have to paint your face red. It says your entire face, unless you have a beard, in which case you can paint just your cheeks. I think there was some confusion that led folks to believe that if they had a beard, they didn't need to paint their faces. This is untrue. You still have to paint your face. Just less of it.

Also, on half-breeds...how would you tell if someone was a half-human? I mean, since humans have no racial costuming requirements.

Half-breeds are supposed to be prerequisite-d by GMs anyway, so I believe it's up to the GMs to tell the player what their racial costuming requirements are for half-breeds and sub-races.

Also, this is a fantasy game. Telling a person they "can't" play a certain race that is in the rulebooks because they are too tall or too short seems pretty silly to me.
I know this thread makes me look like a rules lawyer, which I ain't. But...the book says you derrive whatever the boon of whichever race you most resemble. from the 2007 rules, page 11.

"Some players also desire to play half-breeds, which is also acceptable requiring again a valid and creative reason and GM approval. Because there are discrepancies between starting life points and boons between races, please note that the starting life points for all half breeds is equal to the lesser of the two races. For example, if you wanted to play the child of an elf (who starts with 1 life) and a dwarf (who starts with 2 life),
then your starting life would be 1. Costuming and make-up should reflect the fact that you are of two species. The player’s boon will be chosen based upon which race the character most closely resembles through costuming and make-up effects, as decided by a GM. To emphasize,
both half-breeds and sub-races are dependent upon GM approval."

So the arguement stating that anyone can come in looking like a human and having any boon of any race they choose simply by saying, oh I'm half whatever is false. You would have to resemble the "boon" race on some level. Whether or not what is written in the rules is being enforced is beside the point. New rules do not need to be added to the book. Although it was not mentioned yet, this also prevents the existance of the 2 Life Human. I agree that no one should ever be barred from playing a certain race or "class" based on physical appearance. This is a pretending game, we are all capable of pretending aren't we? I spent my early LARPing years as an elf. As everyone knows I look nothing like an elf. People who talk about the past with me say that it was clear that I was definitely an elf and my weight never got in the way of the role. So, not that I am the be-all, end-all of roleplaying, quite the opposite, I am mediocre at best, but if my level of acting can overcome people's skepticism then it should not be an issue. Just wear the damn ears!
Wyrmwrath
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Wyrmwrath »

and Leather zipper mask! wait... thats a different game.... nevermind...
Grand High Chancellor of ROBUST UNPLEASANTNESS
...and the 11th commandment is:

"The stupid shall be punished!"
marduk
Town Member
Town Member

Post by marduk »

For some reason I am not made uncomfortable by that statement. Odd.
General Maximus
Town Member
Town Member

Post by General Maximus »

Cool,

I'm happy to see that you are suppose to look like both race's.

"Costuming and make-up should reflect the fact that you are of two species"

Now, like all costuming, it just needs to be enforced.

Thanks Marduk
marduk
Town Member
Town Member

Post by marduk »

General Maximus wrote:Cool,
Now, like all costuming, it just needs to be enforced.
There's the rub
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

marduk wrote:For some reason I am not made uncomfortable by that statement. Odd.
That because You ARE The Masked Man!
My posts in no way reflect that of anyone else nor are they in any way official.
WayneO42
GM

Post by WayneO42 »

I am thinking that in order to get the 2 life point costume bonus, you must have your costume checked EVERY event at check in. You would then get a Tag or something to verify you got the bonus. You can keep your tags and turn in 5 of them at the end of the year to get an added bonus of some sort.
Wayne O
The Game Master Lite
Frag the weak, Hurdle the dead!
Andian
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Andian »

People seem to perform more honestly when they feel they'll get an added bonus. *Sadly enough, that's how they enforce the mailroom at my company to show up on weekends. They get an extra $100 if they show up all of the weekends of the month. I wish they gave that same bonus to everyone else at my company.*
Knight of the Frozen Way, Sir Andian Eannon
"Law is mind without reason."
--Aristotle
Verity and Equity
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

That due to exactly why the rule enforcement debate came up. People respond better to "you'll get X if you do Y" better than "If you don't do X, we take away Y" The business just assumes everyone will show for employee cost, then it wins if/when you don't.

I would like to see more of this. However, I'm in the minority.
My posts in no way reflect that of anyone else nor are they in any way official.
marduk
Town Member
Town Member

Post by marduk »

There is no question that a reward based system always works better than a punitive one. Where it breaks down is that there needs to be some punitive action for not wearing your race "effects". For different reasons, but just like you need to not carry a two handed sword and call it a dagger, or have a dagger and call it a polearm, or hear chain and call it leather. There is a degree of visual cue that goes into the game.

And as I'm always said, anyone who cannot follow a strict and simple set of rules must be punished.
cole45
Town Member
Town Member

Post by cole45 »

spankings are both a punishment AND a reward.
Travis Cole