Bonus for Good Physrep's

Archived topics from the different rule forums.

Moderator: Admin

Peace420
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Peace420 »

I have a garbage bag or two full of period type stuff. some of it just needs buttons removed and the like. Yeah I've been meaning to get to that for about 2 years now. But it's there for donation. :lol:
Death=Adder

One of these days...I'm going to cut you into little pieces...

~Pink Floyd~
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

Wyrmwrath wrote:That isnt its logical conclusion. The reason behing the boons is the in game blood line. What your suggesting as a dwarf that gets the channel bonus, or a anianna the gets the resist poison boon...for no IG reason at all.
Um, did you miss the part of the game where there was an apocolypse? Apparently, the entire world can break under the stress of what happened, but the playable races were immune on one particular aspect, but on all other aspects they became the same. um, ok. :roll:

And oh no, a player would have to use their character background to reason why they'd have a specfic boon...
My posts in no way reflect that of anyone else nor are they in any way official.
Wyrmwrath
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Wyrmwrath »

no..i didnt miss that part, but the changes ive seen are in how magic works and who survived and how plentiful the rescources are. Its not as if the dwarves that were dwarves before suddenly had wings BUT still had resist poison. They were still dwarves. The elves didnt suddenly sole thier legs and could now hover as a mode of transport, they still had legs and walked.

So "everything" didnt change, there were major and singnificant changes, but not every aspect of life changed. Trees still grow from the ground up, water still freezes instead of busts into flames when it gets cold.

All im saying is that the races have traits based on biology and culture. Even in modern humans thats evident. Women handle pain better, a black man had a more dense muscle tissue and is more at risk for heart disease, asains tend to suffer from "asain flushing syndrome" and metablose fermented beverages less effectivly and therefor get "drunker" faster, those of Norwegian descent are gennerally taller and are more apt to burn in the sun.

I think there is already way to much slack in the in game explinations of how skills and magic works. To seperate the boons from the races is just begging for players to make PCs with no RP reasoning at all, but simply because they want certain "power combos".
Grand High Chancellor of ROBUST UNPLEASANTNESS
...and the 11th commandment is:

"The stupid shall be punished!"
General Maximus
Town Member
Town Member

Post by General Maximus »

The power combo already exists today. It's called half breeds. Right now a person can be half human and X race and get any boon they want. Any histroy can explain what happened. So I can de done today. Right now there is very little RP back lash form NPC's or PC's for being a half breed.

I personal would like to do change the rules on half breeds. If you play a half breed, you must wear the costum requirements of both races. You play a elf/dwarf, you need to wear elf ears, have a beard, and paint your face red.

Eric's idea is about roleplaying, nothing about mechanic. Some people take a race for the boon, and don't even attempt to RP the race or there culture. Eric's idea allows you take play the race you want and get the minor racial boon you want. It better for RPing and the boons power are so limited, it real does not matter.
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

actually, dwarves aren't dwarves anymore. They can wield magic. Elves aren't elves anymore. They can use two handed swords. So they are already fundamentally different than pre-apocolypse.

But as you said, you believe there is too much slack. I believe there isn't enough. I'm on the side of let the player have a ton of freedom deciding their effects and how their skills came about through background and such. You are on the side of defining things more so there isn't discrepancy between players. I liked the GURPS game. You probably wouldn't. That's cool.
My posts in no way reflect that of anyone else nor are they in any way official.
Wyrmwrath
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Wyrmwrath »

Loved GURPS.

But even in Gurps the players didnt get to make up how their powers worked, the game world dictated that, and that was dictated by the DM/GM. The flexability of GURPS was in the game world design. A DM could have a world where lasers and flame strikes both existed. He could have a world where different sources of a PCs powers flourished together. It wasnt GURPS that gave the players the felxability your pointing to, it was your DM.

Also, the elves and dwarves HAVENT changed. THe basic mechanics of the game have. CARPS and FH have a different foundation IN GAME, so again, its the game world not the races that changed. Dwarves can tap inot magic now just like everyone else because the magic has changed. Elves can use 2 handed weapons because FH classifies racial sizes and weapon sizes differently.

Nelkie

I understand your first assesment, but your forgetting one small difference. In the current system, they are half breeds. Meaning if your half dwarf and the plot team sends in a golem that can sense and likes to kill dwarves for a plot, then that half breed status is a detriment. Under Rieds proposal, no such drawback.

On your second statemenmt, I could not agree more!

As to your third point, if people are taking races and not RPing them "correctly" and the GM let them, thats the failure of the GM staff. Doesnt mean the rules should be changed. Itys not better for RPing, its better for power gaming.

dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

Actually, in GURPS no where did it say if you took laser beam from supers how it manifested or what it really was. It was a piercing ranged attack that does 1d-1 per level of power. Plus, you could add many enhancements and limitations to create the effect you were looking for. If in your world the GM dictated how lasers work then that was your choice, not the rules.

And the basic mechanics changing can be explained by the apocolypse. Some characters transferred from CARPS and lost signifigant power (1000+ pts down to level 0). That is easily explained through the apocolypse.

Or I guess we could could just say mechanics are different, which works so much better story wise. :roll:
cole45
Town Member
Town Member

Post by cole45 »

I have seen lots of combat and Rp moments (which I think are the same, but i broke out for clarity) where Half-breeds had to endure the stygma of being what they are. I have seen Shale(half dark elf) take crap for being a half breed.

As far as half breeds go, you are supposed to wear the costume requirment of the boon you want. Half elves need ears, half dwarves need beards, so you can't get the boon with out physrepping your race.

I also think the half breeds probably get more rp flak than most people give them credit for. I KNOW they get it from nocs, and I would think they get it from pcs.

anyway. I think this argument can only be settle by the fh gm's deciding what their over all vision for game is. Do they want infinite flexibility? or do they want to define the race and culture context? is one right and the other wrong? probably not.
Travis Cole
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

FYI I am under the oppinion that beards are not enough to determin if someone is a dwarf. A short beard a dwarf no make. It would be different if the person playing the dwarf was 5'1, but usually he/she is alot taller.
Last edited by GM_Chris on Thu Nov 15, 2007 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris
I be one of the gamemasters so e-mail me questions if you have them
Wyrmwrath
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Wyrmwrath »

dier_cire:
Actually, in GURPS no where did it say if you took laser beam from supers how it manifested or what it really was. It was a piercing ranged attack that does 1d-1 per level of power. Plus, you could add many enhancements and limitations to create the effect you were looking for. If in your world the GM dictated how lasers work then that was your choice, not the rules.
...yup..thats what I said .... infact GURPs was a "rip off" of thr HERO (then it was CHampions Super Hero RPG) system that I think ripped off another system, where you bought powers as basic attack/defensive powers and "defined" how it functioned by adding merits and advantages and flaws and weaknesses that also modified its character point cost.

Wyrmwrath:
even in Gurps the players didnt get to make up how their powers worked, the game world dictated that, and that was dictated by the DM/GM.

I KNOW they get it from npcs, and I would think they get it from pcs.
Unlikely, as most players never leave behind their modern views on culture and plotics. If they did women would be hard pressed to get leadership roles or even be allowed in combat or to speak during critical debates among noblesand leaders; there would be no "council" type leaderships, there would be a noble and thats that; torture to gain "confessions" would be considered reasonable; and there would be a great deal LESS "everyone is ok no matter what race they are" kind of interaction. Shale would like have been killed on sight, as would have the orcs.
I have seen a few give the half breeds guff, but its rare that such RP skill shows its head.

General Maximus
Town Member
Town Member

Post by General Maximus »

How is a person suppose to know you are a half breed if you are wearing the costume requirements of only 1 race and not both? If you are a half breed, I should be able to tell so by looking at you, so you should have to where the costume requiremetns of both.

If being a half breed is that important to your character concept, than the extra costuming requirements should not matter.

Chris, as for the dwarves, ya, I agree. They have large big beards.
I would say you either have to wear a large beard, or have a normal beard and paint your face red. Either way, it will be obivous.
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

actually the racial requirement is only part of the consideration for half breeds. If you were half elf/half orc and had green face paint but wore embroidered robes, the costuming would suggest elf while the racial portion would suggest orc. You could really go either way then.
Wyrmwrath
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Wyrmwrath »

the robes have not a thing to do with being a half breed, green face paint and elf ears does. The attire would be dictated by the lyfestyle and backstory.

dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

The rules specifically says costuming AND makeup. Not just racial stuff.

And lifestyle has nothing to do with rich vs poor. A privileged person can still come from a dirt farm. And a savage could still wear robes.
Peace420
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Peace420 »

dier_cire wrote:The rules specifically says costuming AND makeup. Not just racial stuff.

And lifestyle has nothing to do with rich vs poor. A privileged person can still come from a dirt farm. And a savage could still wear robes.
I don't think that was the intent at all, I think the intent was that lifestyle would be the way you were raised. Now, you may have been raised priviledged and find yourself in a situation where you've been living as a pauper and out in the woods with help from someone.

And costuming and makeup for what?
Death=Adder

One of these days...I'm going to cut you into little pieces...

~Pink Floyd~