Characters going between chapters


Archived topics from the different rule forums.

Moderator: Admin

User avatar

Town Member
Town Member

Posts: 1004

Joined: Thu May 04, 2006 6:25 am

Post Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:10 am

Characters going between chapters

Characters going between chapters

I would like to start a discussion about characters going to different chapters

Should characters be able to do in-between event activates and support organizations with allegiance points at both chapters?

First, it is my understanding when one is supporting an organization the person is doing some type of work during the in-between event to help that organization out. It could mean they are directing people, planting crops, digging ore out of the ground etc.. In the end, the person needs to be around to support the organization

Second, it takes time to do research in-between events.

How can a person perform these actions if they are only at one location (Chapter) for only a short period of time? A character could be at FH for a couple weeks, than transfers over to WH and stay’s there for months. Does it not make sense, the person only has enough time to research stuff at WH and support an organization at WH.

In my opinion a person should only to do in-between research and support an organization at one chapter (5-6 in-between events a year), but has the opportunity to go back and forth between chapters to RP and gain levels with the same character.

Next. Should resources be able to transfer between chapters? I say no because it can unbalance a chapters economy. Let’s say FH lost a couple trade routes because of bad decisions, RP, or negative route roll’s. The people are in crises or are part of a plot. Is it fair for people of WH to come with all their resources to bail out FH because they have extra resources because they have been lucky, received more resources, etc… This also can stop a groups attempt to create a monopoly of a certain resource which leads trade and RP opportunities. Hey X group has all the food routes, but that’s OK because we can just use all the extra food we have at Chapter X

Also, are people aware there are constraints on how many resources a person can carry on them with out the aid of extra people and equipment? I have seen people from WH pull boxes of resources out to use at FH, and I wonder how they moved them from WH to FH by themselves.

To me, it would be cleaner and simpler if a chapter resources stay at the chapter.
User avatar

Town Member
Town Member

Posts: 146

Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:43 pm

Post Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:36 am

Re: Characters going between chapters

General Maximus wrote:Also, are people aware there are constraints on how many resources a person can carry on them with out the aid of extra people and equipment? I have seen people from WH pull boxes of resources out to use at FH, and I wonder how they moved them from WH to FH by themselves.


Logistically, since there is a magic gate, you don't really have to worry about how much a person can carry. Not to be the devil's advocate...but. You could conceivably cross over an unlimited amount of times carrying 6 tags at a time. Its stupid, but possible.
User avatar

Town Member
Town Member

Posts: 509

Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2005 9:56 pm

Location: West Michigan

Post Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:53 am

Re: Characters going between chapters

General Maximus wrote: Next. Should resources be able to transfer between chapters? I say no because it can unbalance a chapters economy. Let’s say FH lost a couple trade routes because of bad decisions, RP, or negative route roll’s. The people are in crises or are part of a plot. Is it fair for people of WH to come with all their resources to bail out FH because they have extra resources because they have been lucky, received more resources, etc… This also can stop a groups attempt to create a monopoly of a certain resource which leads trade and RP opportunities. Hey X group has all the food routes, but that’s OK because we can just use all the extra food we have at Chapter X


I believe this is called an economy. The resources at WH are controlled and are not unbalanced. There are aspects behind the scenes you are probably not aware of (ie, the WH staff will not create 400 food in their chapter and flood the FH "economy" on a whim.) However, if characters go to Winter Haven (or come from Winter Haven) and bring back (or steal?) food for the Final Haven game, then they will be taking it from their own economy which is based on their player base, just like Final Haven is. So to ease your fears... any TRADE between chapters is not completely independant of one another because there are mechanics to determine how much folks get on either side. Take from one... and it doesn't magically get replaced--you've actually stolen from one economy to give to another. Charity, Trade or Stealing between the chapters makes for good roleplaying too.


General Maximus wrote:Also, are people aware there are constraints on how many resources a person can carry on them with out the aid of extra people and equipment? I have seen people from WH pull boxes of resources out to use at FH, and I wonder how they moved them from WH to FH by themselves.


HOPEFULLY what you are seeing are things that people have brought through the gates before the game starts. If someone is just walking through the gate and pulls out 50 tags and isn't carrying a big box or at least the tag for a big box, then, yes... that's (probably) a violation. But if the character is already in town when the game starts and is just pulling them out of a stationary (non-transportable) box, then I'm not seeing the issue that would be reason to stop trade between chapters (especially when potions and other items don't need to be phys-repped, even when carried.)

General Maximus wrote:To me, it would be cleaner and simpler if a chapter resources stay at the chapter.

Wouldn't it be easier if there was no cross-chapter play then?

Yes, there's some flaws in the system, but I think there are bigger holes to deal with than trade and economy between chapters. (Besides, there may be greater game balance issues from resources if characters keep stealing and hoarding too. Again, totally game-worthy, but it messes up the IC bookies. *L*)
Arthur Dreese - West Michigan
I just want to see tomorrow, day by day to just survive. / But this place is built to kill me. No one here gets out alive. ~Alice Cooper "Cold Machines"
"Beware the designer who does not design to play his own game." ~Justin Achilli, Vampire: the Masquerade Developer
User avatar

GM

Posts: 7553

Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2003 1:43 pm

Post Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:37 am

Hmm, all I can say is I disagree with you completely.

The chapters and the ability to travel should not be hindered it takes away from fun no matter what the case for logistics that is made.

Resources? Resources are controlled globally since we are all using the same economic modeling. Of course, it is being tweaked as we grow and learn.

I think this post is coming up because some people feel cheapened or a potential to be screwed by those going to both chapters since those characters will gain more levels and more "stuff"

Let me help put your minds at ease. Though those characters will definitely gain more "levels" and more "stuff" they will also have twice the danger and twice the upkeep since items must be upkept at both chapters. In addition levels past level 20 matter a far amount less than those than those before 20 which is only 4 events worth of playing. Lastly, those people who go to both chapters got killed by a bunch of players who only go to 1 chapter so apparently those advantages did not hold up too much.

Basically I need players to trust that the FH people are not attempting to unbalance the WH chapter and that WH people are not attempting to unbalance FH.

The WH and FH staff work EXTREAMLY closely with each other. WH GM's have access to everything except the plots forum since alot of them play in our game. Character specific plot items that have any potential to create a conflict of interest is kept on the Plot forums. Same is true in the other direction. We make sure we work closely with each other so say 1 chapter just decides to throw 10000 food into an economy that can then damage the other economy.
Last edited by GM_Chris on Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chris
I be one of the gamemasters so e-mail me questions if you have them
User avatar

Town Member
Town Member

Posts: 3094

Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2004 3:42 pm

Post Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:39 am

it is my understanding that Allegence is duplicated at both sites to make the economy run. The base allegiance of the pc base forms the back bone of the economy, and if you couldn't assign support points it would make much of established trade routes turn into a free for all.

We use the EXACT math formula at WH that they do at FH. Actually, we stick to the formula exactly with NO leeway. We consider it a requirement, and unbendable. We have been told it is NOT unbendable, but we treat it that way.

It is part of the chapter design that trade occur between sites. I perdonally would like to see PCs set up houses at both locations and trade the two different commaties they could make. (that is just me.)

As for research, It takes as long as it is going to take. we pass it up the chain, and the FH guys approve it or not. Is research so powerful it should be limited? I should think not. it takes time to balance and actually DO research requests anyway.
Travis Cole
User avatar

Town Member
Town Member

Posts: 146

Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:43 pm

Post Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:41 am

GM_Chris wrote:Let me help put your minds at ease. Though those characters will definitely gain more "levels" and more "stuff" they will also have twice the danger and twice the upkeep since items must be upkept at both chapters. In addition levels past level 20 matter a far amount less than those than those before 20 which is only 4 events worth of playing. Lastly, those people who go to both chapters got killed by a bunch of players who only go to 1 chapter so apparently those advantages did not hold up too much.


You got a point there.

Return to Rule Forum Archives

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group

Designed by ST Software for PTF.