Resources -Vs- Coins

Archived topics from the different rule forums.

Moderator: Admin

What type of Economic system would you prefer?

A barter based resource system (Like it is now)
25%
A monetary system (Coins)
25%
A combination of resources and coins
50%

Total votes: 28
Alexander Nautice
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Post by Alexander Nautice »

There are cheap ways to do coins. I remember the different sized and colored washers from CARPS. I thought that was pretty cool. An actual minted coin on the other hand would be F'awesome.
Onimaster
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Onimaster »

I was thinking that laser etched coin-like metal tags would be an option. Not sure how much they are, but would be hard to counterfit and may be cheaper than minting.
Last edited by Onimaster on Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vaal Draconus,
Dwarven King
Survivor of the Dreaming
& Champion of Life.

or

Nikolai Petrov,
Traveling Cossack Sage
Atrum Draconus
Town Member
Town Member
Location: Look over your shoulder... better yet... just keep your eyes forward.

Post by Atrum Draconus »

Alexander Nautice wrote:There are cheap ways to do coins. I remember the different sized and colored washers from CARPS. I thought that was pretty cool. An actual minted coin on the other hand would be F'awesome.
CARPS has minted coins and I tried the colored washer thing already, nobody was at all interested in handing over their stuff for colored washers. Maybe the tenor of the game may have changed. Perhaps it was just that none trusted Atrum or didn't think I had the resources to back up the coin.
Atrum Draconus
House Draconus
Hand of King Chimeron Draconus
ANNOSUS DRACONUS!
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

It probably didn't work because of a combination of thigns. I still think the players could pull it of, but it has been 6 years and we are in a game situation where we could just force the issue as GM's
Chris
I be one of the gamemasters so e-mail me questions if you have them
cole45
Town Member
Town Member

Post by cole45 »

I think the best way to try coins would be to keep the backend as the existing system, and change the front end to coins. that way if it didn't work, wasn't liked, or what ever, it could be backed out with no fuss.

side note, a really great benefit of coins would be a value less than a full resource. that just doesn't exist right now.
Last edited by cole45 on Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Travis Cole
Andian
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Andian »

Here is some information on laser etching coins. I'm not sure on the pricing, yet it seems to cost about the same or more.

http://www.coinsandpins.com/pages.php?pID=23
Knight of the Frozen Way, Sir Andian Eannon
"Law is mind without reason."
--Aristotle
Verity and Equity
WayneO42
GM

Post by WayneO42 »

Laser etching is more money than minting and it doesnt look as game appropriate
Wayne O
The Game Master Lite
Frag the weak, Hurdle the dead!
Ark
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Ark »

Coin,Coins,Coins! Easier to rob people and fewer things to worry about. Such as if you have this much gold your well off at the end of an event. Instead of your short 1 of something but have plenty of everything else.
Now I know that incourages trading but personaly I would rather not wory about surviving the huge battle just to end up getting screwed because im short food. y'know?
If it storms or snows, or the sun smiles on us. The day burning hot, or ice cold of night. Dusty are our faces, but joyful are our minds! - Panzerlied
Brian: Do not respond, quote, argue, debate, or try to start a conversation about anything I say or post, directly or indirectly, specifically or implicitly. At the very least I will consider it stalking, and going further consider it harassing, belittling, demeaning, mocking, or insulting. I will immediately report it as such and push to request that your forum privileges be at least suspended or terminated, and going further request your LARP attendance privileges be suspended or terminated as per the Final Haven Code of Conduct. this is your notice and warning.
If you have an opinion on something I say, or a particular topic, but would prefer to keep your opinion private (or complain) then CLICK HERE! to send a private message to GM-Mike the head GM and let him know.
Rastlin
New in Town
New in Town

Post by Rastlin »

I really like the idea of a money system. I also agree with chris, the pc's can handle it. It worked at carps for years.
" Their isnt any problem that cant be solved
with the proper application of magic. Or
undead." -Rastlin
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

FYI, in a coin system you would still be screwed if you did not have enough coin.
Chris
I be one of the gamemasters so e-mail me questions if you have them
WayneO42
GM

Post by WayneO42 »

Thats Chris-eese for "You will still need to pay upkeep but in coin instead of resources".
Wayne O
The Game Master Lite
Frag the weak, Hurdle the dead!
Ark
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Ark »

Yeah I know, But theres not 3,4,5,etc types of coins
If it storms or snows, or the sun smiles on us. The day burning hot, or ice cold of night. Dusty are our faces, but joyful are our minds! - Panzerlied
Brian: Do not respond, quote, argue, debate, or try to start a conversation about anything I say or post, directly or indirectly, specifically or implicitly. At the very least I will consider it stalking, and going further consider it harassing, belittling, demeaning, mocking, or insulting. I will immediately report it as such and push to request that your forum privileges be at least suspended or terminated, and going further request your LARP attendance privileges be suspended or terminated as per the Final Haven Code of Conduct. this is your notice and warning.
If you have an opinion on something I say, or a particular topic, but would prefer to keep your opinion private (or complain) then CLICK HERE! to send a private message to GM-Mike the head GM and let him know.
Rastlin
New in Town
New in Town

Post by Rastlin »

actually their will most likely be sevral coins 'seprate denominations'.

but i agree, if im missing some money ill just off some noobs to get the coin i need. all money is coin, not all steel is food ya no?
" Their isnt any problem that cant be solved
with the proper application of magic. Or
undead." -Rastlin