Resources -Vs- Coins

Archived topics from the different rule forums.

Moderator: Admin

What type of Economic system would you prefer?

A barter based resource system (Like it is now)
25%
A monetary system (Coins)
25%
A combination of resources and coins
50%

Total votes: 28
WayneO42
GM

Post by WayneO42 »

I think the best way to run a combination of the two is to keep the system as is but just add in an entity in game upstream from the Players that converts the resorces into coin at a set exchange rate. Then, what resource an org produces comes into play when they try to manipulate the exchange rate. The more of a resource they control, the more they can adjust the exchange rate. This would encourage orgs to go after a monopolies on a resource. Also, we could assign a "Territory" to each production source. The more production sources you own in a single territory, the bigger of a bonus you would get to ALL of your production sources in that territory. This would encourage organizations to control chunks of land.

For those who want a resource system, what do you see as its main advantages over a coin based system?
Wayne O
The Game Master Lite
Frag the weak, Hurdle the dead!
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

honestly, I like the resource system. It needs some work, but every game has money. The resource system has a more survival type feel to it which meshes well with the scope of the game. It draws you in more than "yeah, the world was destroyed, but the coin system stayed".

Now, I would add the whole idea of monsters dropping certain "items" and those items being able to be traded and/or smithed, potioned, arcaned, etc into actual resources (similar to the FF12 system). I'd even help design it up.

Also, I think monopolies for location is a great idea. I know I had mentioned one for types, but having both would be cool. Basically the more of either a location and/or a particular type of resource your group controls the bigger your bonus. I could see the bonus for location be more in stability than volume (ie the caravans travel together) whereas the type would be the opposite (ie you know how to make food, not necessarily protect it).
My posts in no way reflect that of anyone else nor are they in any way official.
NewGuy
Town Member
Town Member

Post by NewGuy »

WayneO42 wrote:For those who want a resource system, what do you see as its main advantages over a coin based system?
Killing a feral wolf and getting a hide is more IG satisfying than having it drop some gold coins.

There's IG/IC role-playing necessary if you have a bunch of cloth and no supplies where you'll have to barter, but with a coin system you just have an exchange rate at checkout. It removes some role-playing (which we've determined as the PCs favorite part of the game)

It screws up some skills

It can effect commodity production rather strongly, depending on how it's implemented
GLOMP!
Aurora
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Aurora »

I thought Vince and Aaron or just Vince collected some donations for coins a few years ago. I remember giving Vince money to donate towards getting coins.
Aurora Darksbane

Mage Hunter of the Old Code
Caldonian Genderman
Lambic
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Lambic »

There was a collection that was taken up, for player supported money. The reason that it was not made is not enough money was collected (possibly due to political upset), only about 2/3 and before efforts could fix said problem, politics the politics became unstable again.

I like the resource system, I don't think it needs to be thrown out, but it could be tweaked.
Adam
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Adam »

dier_cire wrote:honestly, I like the resource system. It needs some work, but every game has money. The resource system has a more survival type feel to it which meshes well with the scope of the game. It draws you in more than "yeah, the world was destroyed, but the coin system stayed".

Now, I would add the whole idea of monsters dropping certain "items" and those items being able to be traded and/or smithed, potioned, arcaned, etc into actual resources (similar to the FF12 system). I'd even help design it up.
NewGuy wrote:Killing a feral wolf and getting a hide is more IG satisfying than having it drop some gold coins.

There's IG/IC role-playing necessary if you have a bunch of cloth and no supplies where you'll have to barter, but with a coin system you just have an exchange rate at checkout. It removes some role-playing (which we've determined as the PCs favorite part of the game)
Can't say it any better myself.
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

It was just a suggestion.

I rather have players do th ecoins because only they can have a real feel for changing the exchange rate. Rising prices based on demand.
Chris
I be one of the gamemasters so e-mail me questions if you have them
WayneO42
GM

Post by WayneO42 »

My problem with the resource system is that it takes a lot of effort on the PC side to make realistic. You need containers, you need to worry about how many resources are being carried at one time, you need to worry about converting resources to upkeep, etc. EVERY event we get complaints that so in so is carrying too many resources or so and so didnt upkeep their weapon. We also seem to get a 5 page thread going every season about how to phys-rep resources. Coins gloss over all of this. You have what you have in your pouch. The coins are the phys-rep.

We can still have monsters drop resources and things that can be sold to NPCs for cash. We can still have some NPC groups that only deal in resources.
Wayne O
The Game Master Lite
Frag the weak, Hurdle the dead!
GM_Chris
GM

Post by GM_Chris »

Exactly as Wayne said. It is getting increasingly more frustrating that we are getting more and more nit pick threads that go on for pages and pages.

This is not how it was suppose to be nor was it when we started.

I remember when I started D&D with 12 people who did not know the rules. Oh those times were glorious fun RP moments of bliss. Slowly, each player got a book and our fun was religated to rule discussions.

I use to have players hang on my every word rolling the diceI requested to players ignoring the story and arguing with me about their skills, abilities, and the type of dice to roll. It became lame.

So here we are after 6 years. We still have great stories, but we have constant questioning of the GM staff, and more and more rule add ons to help "improve" the game.

As for containers I am voting for there removal no matter how we go because honestly I do not think the realism is adding anything but complaints.
Chris
I be one of the gamemasters so e-mail me questions if you have them
Aurora
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Aurora »

Ok not to ask this, but what is happening on the coin front and what became of the donations given by some players?
Aurora Darksbane

Mage Hunter of the Old Code
Caldonian Genderman
Andian
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Andian »

I know there are a lot of people amazingly afraid of change. In some instances I can understand, in others such as this one, I do not. Coin economies as they are explaining it would simplify a lot of arguments down to how many coins do you have in your pocket. How much do you have at the end of the game to survive. I do not see a problem with this type of change.

Sure it would require time, money, rules changing, etc.. Yet, I feel it would create an easier way to deal with a lot of issues that have already been mentioned.

Edit: To me it's the difference between hiding a storage of months of food under your bed, stacked 15 feet high, calling it your building storage. Having someone store your resources for you. Or just carrying your money with you.; rather than the normal 6 resources. And when you actually need a resource for game reasons, you buy it.
Knight of the Frozen Way, Sir Andian Eannon
"Law is mind without reason."
--Aristotle
Verity and Equity
Lambic
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Lambic »

WayneO42 wrote:My problem with the resource system is that it takes a lot of effort on the PC side to make realistic. You need containers, you need to worry about how many resources are being carried at one time, you need to worry about converting resources to upkeep, etc. ...

We can still have monsters drop resources and things that can be sold to NPCs for cash. We can still have some NPC groups that only deal in resources.
Well when you put it that way it sounds pretty good. I like integration of the two ideas.
Aurora wrote:Ok not to ask this, but what is happening on the coin front and what became of the donations given by some players?
I hear that people have finally given up on it (since Corbyn was on our version of the gold coin :) and started trying to return some of the money, I would talk to who you gave it to, Phil or Vince.
General Maximus
Town Member
Town Member

Post by General Maximus »

I can see the fustration. Does physreping ones resources add to the game. No, it does not. Coins are a neat idea, but i feel it should be PC driven and controled.

How does this sound to solve the issue
You can carry as many resources on one self as you want. But if you get killed or robbed, as those resources are open for the taking.

If you want to store them in safe place (not on ones person), you must pay the in-game cost to create said item or place. The place/item must be tagged and physrepped as per the rules. An idea, if you store resources in a phyrep'ed place, you get an % extra per event based on the amount of resources stored.

Also, you cannot simply bury resource out in the woods. This is to keep everything simple, and it can be said x creature came by and stole them. Ones resources must be stored safely. A building, cave, etc... A hole in the ground is not safe and causes many in game issue's.
Wyrmwrath
Town Member
Town Member

Post by Wyrmwrath »

Exactly as Wayne said. It is getting increasingly more frustrating that we are getting more and more nit pick threads that go on for pages and pages.

This is not how it was suppose to be nor was it when we started.

I remember when I started D&D with 12 people who did not know the rules. Oh those times were glorious fun RP moments of bliss. Slowly, each player got a book and our fun was religated to rule discussions.

I use to have players hang on my every word rolling the diceI requested to players ignoring the story and arguing with me about their skills, abilities, and the type of dice to roll. It became lame.

So here we are after 6 years. We still have great stories, but we have constant questioning of the GM staff, and more and more rule add ons to help "improve" the game.
Not to sound cold, but in my LARPing experience such sentiments from the GM staff happen when they do not SET the tone of the rules/game world and TELL the playerbase "this is how the/our game runs. Period".

The players will either play or they wont, but the ones the stay and the new ones that arrive will do so because they like the rules or are too apathetic to seek out anything different and they will just play within the structure that exists.

Im not oppsed to you looking to the player base for feedback or suggestion, but now it seems the GMs are whining because they are getting what they asked for. Gamers are going to rules lawyer and nit pick. If they were the type of personalities to do anything different, they wouldnt be gamers. What your doing is walking up to penguins and asking em not to walk like penguins.
Grand High Chancellor of ROBUST UNPLEASANTNESS
...and the 11th commandment is:

"The stupid shall be punished!"
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

General Maximus wrote:You can carry as many resources on one self as you want. But if you get killed or robbed, as those resources are open for the taking.
This is sort of where I'm at. I think that a coin based is just too advanced for the environment the system is set in. If the GMs want to get rid of the maximum requirements on resources and such to avoid debates, cool. Maybe food is just a token to pull your stuff from the granary, but if you say nothing one way or the other, then it is really whatever the player wants it to be (which fits in with much of the system anyway).

I'd still go with encouraging using phys-reps through minor bonuses, though.
My posts in no way reflect that of anyone else nor are they in any way official.