Surgery

Archived topics from the different rule forums.

Moderator: Admin

NewGuy
Town Member
Town Member

Surgery

Post by NewGuy »

As currently written:
The surgery skill only works on a target that is critically injured (below zero life points). The healer can heal up to 10 life points through the use of this skill. The healer may choose the number of life points healed as long as the total healed does not push the target’s total life points above zero. It takes one minute to perform the surgery skill. While surgery is underway the target stops bleeding to death. Upon completion, the target remains unconscious until they are brought to a positive life point total.

A Healer can heal an additional 9 life points while performing surgery but there is a risk of death. To heal these additional 9 life points, the healer must first have a "Healer's bag". The healer’s bag is an out of game pouch that contains 10 red and white markers or chips. The bag must contain at least one red chip and at least one white chip. The healer's bag is also used in the resurrection process. For surgery, Chips are taken from the bag at a rate of one per minute. A white chip heals 1 life point while a red chip instantly kills the patient. Up to 3 additional surgeons can assist. When a surgeon assists they can offer their Healer’s bag to the injured person. The injured subject must pick the chips from the bag offered to him. The drawing of chips from the healer’s bag is meant to simulate the effects of a very critical and delicate surgery. Once a chip is drawn, it is not returned to the bag until the surgery is completed. For each chip drawn a surgeon may also administer one additional potion to the dying character.

Finally, if the surgeon can reach a target within 15 seconds of that target dying, they can resuscitate them. The target will be at –15 life points or the total they were at when they died, whichever is lower. This is true even for those who were given a killing blow. This skill is restricted to medium armor.
To me this reads that the entire skill takes one minute to perform, PERIOD. Within this one minute you can heal up to 10 LP without any risk, and up to 19 total. As there is no additional mention of time for that extra 9, it reads that it is included in that initial one minute.

As chips are drawn at a rate of 1/minute, you can heal up to 19 LP with on chip draw. The only reason to have extra chips draws is to allow more potions, but then how do you extand the time it takes to perform the skill?

Additionally, while Death and Dying says that a character can only have First Aid performed on them once, there is no such restriction for surgery, so as written I can continuously perform surgery for those 10 safe LP without a chip draw over and over? Or can all the master healers just perform back to back surgeries? As written, YES THEY CAN.

8) [/quote]
GLOMP!
cole45
Town Member
Town Member

Post by cole45 »

I'm fairly sure the implication is that the single chip draw does not heal from -19 to healed, but to -18 instead. it is a little vague.
Travis Cole
WayneO42
GM

Post by WayneO42 »

Chips are taken from the bag at a rate of one per minute. A white chip heals 1 life point while a red chip instantly kills the patient.
Thats vague?
Wayne O
The Game Master Lite
Frag the weak, Hurdle the dead!
WayneO42
GM

Post by WayneO42 »

Maybe we just need to add:

If at the end of the surgery the target is still in critical life, they immediately die.
Wayne O
The Game Master Lite
Frag the weak, Hurdle the dead!
Atrum Draconus
Town Member
Town Member
Location: Look over your shoulder... better yet... just keep your eyes forward.

Post by Atrum Draconus »

Seems pretty clearcut to me, after -10 you pull a white chip you get a life point, you pull a red you is ded fred.

Although it does seem that as many healers as want can heal 10 life in negs before you have to start pulling chips.
Atrum Draconus
House Draconus
Hand of King Chimeron Draconus
ANNOSUS DRACONUS!
cole45
Town Member
Town Member

Post by cole45 »

i can not figure out what the 3 surgeons do....
Travis Cole
GM-Mike
GM

Post by GM-Mike »

I suppose I would interpret it as such: You can heal up to an additional 9 points by drawing nine chips (assuming you do not draw a red one). These nine chips may be drawn from up to three healer bags. You cannot draw more than nine chips regardless of the number of bags offered. How else is this being interpreted?
dier_cire
Town Member
Town Member

Post by dier_cire »

3 additional surgeons just increase the likelyhood of a white chip. Pulling from 3 bags = more possible life and less likelyhood of red.

And yeah, surgery does need a limit of once per negatives.

However, I see nothing vague on the 9 additional life thing. Please explain how you get the one minute thing.
My posts in no way reflect that of anyone else nor are they in any way official.
cole45
Town Member
Town Member

Post by cole45 »

but, assuming you have 3 bags with 9 white and one red,

doesn't actually change the chance AT ALL, because the 3 falls out of the equation entirely.

it only matters if someone is trying to grease the patient by mucking with the chips.

edit

3 in 30 = 1 in 10

so you have NO gain.
Last edited by cole45 on Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Travis Cole
NewGuy
Town Member
Town Member

Post by NewGuy »

Chips are taken from the bag at a rate of one per minute. A white chip heals 1 life point while a red chip instantly kills the patient.
Isn't vague, but the skill says it takes one minute to complete, and does NOT say that it takes one minute per life point, so I guess it's 11 points and not 19 after one minute. After reading again I see that it says to heal the extra 9 you just need a healer's bag. Thus just having the chip bag gives you the extra 9 points of heal. Additionally the chip draw as written is just for surgery in general, so even just healing one life point requires a chip draw. (and a white chip equals 1 healed life, and an extra potion)

In summation, as written, surgery is up to a 19 heal in one minute with one chip draw. If that chip is white they get an extra lp and can have a potion, if it is red they die. Thus surgery can heal 20.

I do realize what was meant by the surgery skill, and I used it as intended, but as written I could have totally exploited the semantics.
GLOMP!
cole45
Town Member
Town Member

Post by cole45 »

this is the bad guy

"To heal these additional 9 life points, the healer must first have a "Healer's bag".
Last edited by cole45 on Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Travis Cole
NewGuy
Town Member
Town Member

Post by NewGuy »

dier_cire wrote:Please explain how you get the one minute thing.
the skill says it takes 'one minute to perform', not 'one minute per life point healed', or 'one minute for the initial 10, and then one minute per life point' that's where I got the one minute from
GLOMP!
cole45
Town Member
Town Member

Post by cole45 »

For surgery, Chips are taken from the bag at a rate of one per minute. A white chip heals 1 life point while a red chip instantly kills the patient.

Using the healer's bag in surgery requires the healer to pull one chip per life point they are trying to heal. Chips are taken from the bag at a rate of one per minute. A white chip heals 1 life point while a red chip instantly kills the patient.
Travis Cole
NewGuy
Town Member
Town Member

Post by NewGuy »

cole45 wrote:For surgery, Chips are taken from the bag at a rate of one per minute. A white chip heals 1 life point while a red chip instantly kills the patient.

Using the healer's bag in surgery requires the healer to pull one chip per life point they are trying to heal. Chips are taken from the bag at a rate of one per minute. A white chip heals 1 life point while a red chip instantly kills the patient.
re-writing it like that would shut me up
:D :D :D :D
GLOMP!
GM-Mike
GM

Post by GM-Mike »

I don't mean to be rude so don't take me that way. I am simply very very confused by all of this, so let's go through it slowly so I understand.

Okay, the skill description starts off as saying the surgery skill takes one minute to perform, in a paragraph where it says you can heal up to 10 points. End paragraph, end thought. Okay, so far, I would say it takes one minute to heal up to ten life points. I'm not missing anything here, I don't think.

Okay, second paragraph, second thought. You can heal an additional 9 life points. "Additional," I take to mean above and beyond the 10, but it didn't mention that ability in the rules in the first paragraph so I hope additional rules will follow on how to accomplish this so let's read on. Sp the Healer must first have a Healer's bag. The word "first" (as in, not "just") must mean there is more to it than that so again we have to read on. The bag has ten chips, at least one white and one red. White means you gain a life point, red means you die. Chips are taken from the bag at the rate of one chip per minute. Okay, so I read this as saying that one life point can be healed per minute. To heal 19 life points would take 10 minutes (One for the first ten and one additional minute per life point healed).

Where is 11 coming from? Where is 20 coming from? I'm honestly confused by all of this. Please understand that having helped write a lot of this it all seems crystal clear to me so I'm sure I'm simply missing something.

As for the three surgeons, is it easier to draw nine white chips from a pool of nine white chips (a ten chip bag with one red) or from a pool of 27 white chips? Obviously the latter. Again, I don't get where the confusion is.

Please help and explain it in very clear, simple words so I may understand